Jimquisition: Mass Effect 3 And The Case For A Gay Shepard

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
dtocs said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Considering the ending of this Jimquisition i think I will share my personal opinion.

Well now, I do have a problem with gay people. Aka they are sick in the head and whatever excuse medics came up in USA when they realized they can't cure them did not just made them normal... Look, curing schizophrenia is not easy either. If possible at all.

That said excuses debunked in this video are pathetic indeed.
And pedophilia and homosexuality are indeed vastly different things. That said, both are cases of mental disorder but vastly different ones.
Wait, really... Ok ... Lets think about this one...
1)It's normal to want things that make you happy
2) Your sexual organs cant tell the difference between other sexual organs(only your brain can)
3)They respond to physical stimulation
4)Arousal is all in the mind,your mind decides what you like.
5) Using your logic, should we bring it forth that people who only find models attractive are mentally unwell, as well as people who dont want to have sex with fat,disfigured or handicapped people of the opposite gender.
6)or should we say bisexuality, homosexuality and heterosexuality are all normal verations of sexual desire just as we say someone who doesnt find every women attractive isnt mentally unwell.?
I was going to quote him too, but I really can't think of anything better than this. One wonders if homosexuals were the majority, would he conversely consider heterosexuality to be a 'mental disorder' or just his sexual preference?

OT: Jim, no one has ever been more right or more funny. I will always be thanking God for you.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Man I really don't want to get drawn in to a shit-storm like last week, but I can't look away. It's going to be so glorious. With shit.
A glorious shit-storm.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Considering the ending of this Jimquisition i think I will share my personal opinion.

Well now, I do have a problem with gay people. Aka they are sick in the head and whatever excuse medics came up in USA when they realized they can't cure them did not just made them normal... Look, curing schizophrenia is not easy either. If possible at all.
Define what it is that makes homosexuality a mental illness. Define why, if homosexuality is a mental illness, heterosexuality can't be seen as a mental illness as well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, by and large I agree. (And last week's entry required clarification for some people? Really? REALLY?!)

Would like to mention a couple of things, though.

It appears that human bisexuality, at least among men, isn't all that common. The studies and surveys cited by Wikipedia rate it as roughly between 2 and 6 percent.

I don't actually know the specifics of how Bioware intends to handle gay or bisexual relationships in ME3, nor, of course, do I have any idea how they will handle the issue in the future. But it has to be said that having every significant human male character you interact with be bisexual to give options is just lazy writing. (Or every female, for that matter, though it stretches credibility slightly less.) I'm perfectly willing to believe that the Xyrg'kkk'l are all culturally bisexual, or that elves have much higher rates of bisexuality, or whatever. I'm even willing to believe that one or two human characters (including the player) are bisexual. But until bisexuality becomes a requirement for entry into the Alliance military, storytelling and character should have a priority over being able to re-use dialogue and textures for sex scenes.

For that matter, if we really want to be inclusive, "we need homosexual options for the PC" shouldn't just mean a couple of people who swing both ways; it's perfectly reasonable, and as far as I know untouched in Bioware's oeuvre, that some NPCs just be homosexual. It would actually be more interesting to my mind to have your strangely magnetic PC be shot down once in a while because your engineering officer just doesn't swing that way.

Other than that, as long as my companions pay attention when I say "no, not interested, thanks", I'm happy to applaud Bioware taking their excellent stories in whatever direction their writers see fit to take them.

Only I'm not going to be playing them because Origin is the devil. Oh well...

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Fun vid, thanks Jim. Still think a gay shepard is (for the most part) retconning, and still think retconning should be avoided as much as possible; but yeah, after last week's thread i say let Shepard be queer and proud of it, that pedophile = gay stuff conviced me that it was actually a neccesary option in ME 3.

dtocs

Nov 1, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
dtocs said:
Lord_Gremlin said:

And pedophilia and homosexuality are indeed vastly different things. That said, both are cases of mental disorder but vastly different ones.
Wait, really... Ok ... Lets think about this one...
1)It's normal to want things that make you happy
2) Your sexual organs cant tell the difference between other sexual organs(only your brain can)
3)They respond to physical stimulation
4)Arousal is all in the mind,your mind decides what you like.
5) Using your logic, should we bring it forth that people who only find models attractive are mentally unwell, as well as people who dont want to have sex with fat,disfigured or handicapped people of the opposite gender.
6)or should we say bisexuality, homosexuality and heterosexuality are all normal verations of sexual desire just as we say someone who doesnt find every women attractive isnt mentally unwell.?
I was going to quote him too, but I really can't think of anything better than this. One wonders if homosexuals were the majority, would he conversely consider heterosexuality to be a 'mental disorder' or just his sexual preference?

OT: Jim, no one has ever been more right or more funny. I will always be thanking God for you.
I would think that heterosexual activity would need to be the norm for evolutionary reasons, a majority homosexual society would be a crippled one. I think what would be a better question would be, in a bisexual society where everyone just picked who they found attractive would we view both homosexuality and heterosexuality as mental illnesses/ fetish behavior ?

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Lord_Gremlin said:

But what's most important here is that developers, Bioware, don't owe anything to anyone. If they want to include whatever new content it is entirely up to them. Your only choice is to either buy their game or don't buy it. It's as simple as that. Attacking writers for example is childish and outrageous. You may disagree with them or consider their creation abysmal.. But the only thing you're entitled to is ability to skip their game and don't buy it.
Oh dear. Somebody get this man a decent education!

blurredplacebo

something should go in here
Jan 25, 2010
Jim all I can say is that you've got balls of steel, you sir are a excellent human being

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Hookah said:
Lord_Gremlin said:

But what's most important here is that developers, Bioware, don't owe anything to anyone. If they want to include whatever new content it is entirely up to them. Your only choice is to either buy their game or don't buy it. It's as simple as that. Attacking writers for example is childish and outrageous. You may disagree with them or consider their creation abysmal.. But the only thing you're entitled to is ability to skip their game and don't buy it.
Man, can I borrow your time machine?
Dude, I am so stealing that as my go-to response to homophobic people. +1 internets for you.

As for the video, Jim's rant against comparing homosexuality to pedophilia at the end made me so happy. Thank God for Jim just saying it like it is. No sympathy for homophobes at all.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Lord_Gremlin said:

Ugh. That's a frightening mentality. Clearly you've had some opinions impressed upon you by parents/church/community, whatever it may be, that are not only wrong, but offensive. Sexual orientation is not a "mental disorder". If you want to go that route, we could just as easily argue that any sexual attraction and activity beyond simple procreation, is a "mental disorder". By that metric, any kinks are also mental disorders. So is the desire to give or receive oral sex (unnatural! Penises don't go there!), and really you could say that any sexual position that isn't "natural" is the result of mental disorder.

It's really time for society to grow up, meaning people like you, and realize that sexual orientation isn't a choice and it's not a mental illness. What people choose to do with their bodies and their sex life that isn't harmful to themselves or others isn't related to mental illness, but to the sex drive that every person has. Just like any other facet of our mental makeup, there are varying degrees of sexuality. Some people like a lot, some like little to none. Some people are attracted to men, some to women, some to both. Just because a man is attracted to men in the same way that women are, it doesn't mean he is ill. What makes a man ill and a women not ill for being sexually attracted to men? It's simple brain chemistry- hormones, chemical transmitters and receptors, much of it set down in the womb before a person is even born.

Again, it is offensive to me, a straight man, and every LGTB person and their allies for you to categorize them as having a mental disorder. Very quickly society will have no place for your outdated ideas, intolerances and prejudices, so it would behoove you and others like you to adjust sooner, rather than later.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Callate said:
I'm perfectly willing to believe that the Xyrg'kkk'l are all culturally bisexual, or that elves have much higher rates of bisexuality, or whatever.
You know, I'd never thought about this before, but that might actually make sense. The elves part, that is. I haven't the vaguest clue what a Xyrg'kkk'l is, but I assume you meant that as a general term for whatever name people come up with for alien species.

I mean, male elves are generally depicted as more feminine and beautiful than their human counterparts, so a race where gender is less distinct might genuinely give less of a shit about gender. Furthermore, elves are generally depicted in fantasy as long-lived or ageless, so biological urges to procreate would be a lot less necessary.

I may have just put more thought into elf-sex than I ever should, but there you go. Your post made my brain do things.

OT: Jim makes me smile. The people he responded to make me frown. Jim wins. Logic.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I think my favorite part was the part where I watched this on my Kindle so it was a tad glitchy and I heard key words repeat rather perfectly mix with annoying scretches that I could mistake as being purposefully placed.

I will never get this experience again, I'm sure, but it was perfect.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well done Jim, telling off those ignorant closet dwelling idiots.

Reaction to this one should bring hilarity.

dtocs

Nov 1, 2008
The one thing this thread has produced that makes me lol, lord gremlins inbox gets allot more mail, still waiting to see him respond.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:

The lady protests to much me thinks. = O

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
What? How does... why do people even...

...You know what. If you are reading this, and you think being gay or bisexual is wrong, never ever speak to me or come near me. You are a terrible person for suggesting that people should not be able to make their own choices.

I will be playing a gay Shepard. You're just going to have to live with that.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
SwimmingRock said:
Callate said:
I'm perfectly willing to believe that the Xyrg'kkk'l are all culturally bisexual, or that elves have much higher rates of bisexuality, or whatever.
You know, I'd never thought about this before, but that might actually make sense. The elves part, that is. I haven't the vaguest clue what a Xyrg'kkk'l is, but I assume you meant that as a general term for whatever name people come up with for alien species.

I mean, male elves are generally depicted as more feminine and beautiful than their human counterparts, so a race where gender is less distinct might genuinely give less of a shit about gender. Furthermore, elves are generally depicted in fantasy as long-lived or ageless, so biological urges to procreate would be a lot less necessary.

I may have just put more thought into elf-sex than I ever should, but there you go.
In my D&D circle, the running joke is that all elves are gay and only reproduce when they accidentally fall into female elves.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
dtocs said:
The one thing this thread has produced that makes me lol, lord gremlins inbox gets allot more mail, still waiting to see him respond.
I think that was a post intended to troll and that it was very successful... I hope it was...

I'm glad to see the biting quality I've come to expect return in this episode. The last episode offered great satire, but the point was strained and made so obvious that it grew stale.

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
Tanakh said:
Fun vid, thanks Jim. Still think a gay shepard is (for the most part) retconning, and still think retconning should be avoided as much as possible; but yeah, after last week's thread i say let Shepard be queer and proud of it, that pedophile = gay stuff conviced me that it was actually a neccesary option in ME 3.
It's retconning in a way that brings him back to the way he was intended to be though. ME1 and 2 both have lesbian/gay romance scenes in them, they were just cut, the rumor being because the facial model for maleshep didn't want his face connected to homosexuality.