Jimquisition: Neutered

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I like this video a lot and enjoy its points in many aspects. There's just ooooone little aspect that's really enraging me that I need to get off my chest before I finish the video. *ahem*

Different races, genders and sexuality are NOT the only freaking ways to 'include', and calling a series 'oh so inclusive' just for checking all of those boxes is infuriating to me, because it makes me think about how little thought you must have put into that conclusion.

What about people who don't like M-rated content? Hum? What about the family values crowd? Ah screw them, right? They don't count as people, apparently.

What about all the kids who won't get to play the game--that they might have seen online and liked the look of--because their parents don't want them playing something so obscene? What about people who are just kind of uncomfortable at stuff like that?

So you're saying we shouldn't have violence or R-rated content in games at all?
No, I like games with R rated content. I just don't want people calling something that alienates a giant, huge ton of people with its content to be called 'welcoming to all', especially by smart people like Jim.

So every game should appeal to all people?
No obviously not EVERY one will like anything, but second verse, same as the first.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I like this video a lot and enjoy its points in many aspects. There's just ooooone little aspect that's really enraging me that I need to get off my chest before I finish the video. *ahem*

Different races, genders and sexuality are NOT the only freaking ways to 'include', and calling a series 'oh so inclusive' just for checking all of those boxes is infuriating to me, because it makes me think about how little thought you must have put into that conclusion.

What about people who don't like M-rated content? Hum? What about the family values crowd? Ah screw them, right? They don't count as people, apparently.

What about all the kids who won't get to play the game--that they might have seen online and liked the look of--because their parents don't want them playing something so obscene? What about people who are just kind of uncomfortable at stuff like that?

So you're saying we shouldn't have violence or R-rated content in games at all?
No, I like games with R rated content. I just don't want people calling something that alienates a giant, huge ton of people with its content to be called 'welcoming to all', especially by smart people like Jim.

So every game should appeal to all people?
No obviously not EVERY one will like anything, but second verse, same as the first.

Okay, back to video.

kklawm

Mar 2, 2011
I love this kind of Jimquisition episode the most, one where I have a preconceived notion of what is right/isn't right and assume the validity of a standpoint and get shown reasonably that something I thought or at least accepted is in fact wrong.

The usage of male slang IS ridiculous when you actually think about it. Games could very well improve with more inclusive elements.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm still only on page six in this thread but I felt the need to voice something before getting to the end, so forgive me if this has been brought up.

You know what sucks about the whole fiasco with Dragon's Crown? That Vanillaware is the one that got crap for all of this. The company that's ENTIRE game record is games that have female leads or allow you to play as a female character. Grim Grimoire, Muramasa, and Odin's Sphere are three games I own in my collection and I really enjoyed them. Grim Grimoire stars a female protagonist, Muramasa stars two characters, one of whom is a woman. Odin's Sphere has THREE female protagonists out of five. And those are the ones that I have. There's also Princess Crown which was never released in America and it's main protagonist is a woman. The PSP game Grand Knights History allows you to be male or female. And another Japanese only title, Kumantanchi, as much as it's a life-simulation game, the game is in fact centered around a female character. And of course we have Dragon's Crown which also has three female playable characters in it.

Where the hell were the people making such an outcry over this when a game like Odin's Sphere came out? Where was the soaring praise for that game? It's stuff like this that unfortunately really lends some merit to the kinds of reactions gamers have to these things. People take one brief look at something and go into full outrage mode without looking into anything or learning more about what's going on.