Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I stopped giving Nintendo my money when the SNES died. I have never regretted this, and I doubt I ever will.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
SupahGamuh said:
F**k you Nintendo.

Yeah, I said it. I bought every single of their consoles ever since the NES and even bought every single of their handhelds, plus some of their re-releases, like the GameBoy Pocket (wich is MUCH better than the brick GB IMO), and I was even proud of owning a Wii and heck, I'm proud of the library I made about great Wii titles, BUT, not localizing a game that's already localized and not releasing 3 insanely wanted titles here on America seems like a dick move on anyone's book standards.

It seems like Nintendo are a bunch of trolls.

Yes Nintendo. We are mad.

I think they either just don't like their American fans, or their just that dumb. These are the people that thought; "We need someone to makeover Samus from Metroid, but who? Oh, I know! Team Ninja! The jiggle physics guys, they get women, right?"

Nintendo Fans. I admire your dedication.

For shame Nintendo of America. For shame.

Jurian

Jan 22, 2008
What's up with the horrible sound and quality of the videoclips Jim ?
I had to turn up the sound of my laptop and the video player all the way to the max to even understand you.

Other then that, I totally agree with you on nintendo beeing dicks.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I'm a capitalist, so I support a company being able to make money for providing a product or service people want. However, what if a company simply doesn't want to make a particular product available in a certain area for no particular reason? Really, every instinct in my captitalist brain says that not localizing a game that a particular market wants is staggeringly stupid.

Do you know what causes black markets to appear? They spring up when a particular market is denied a product or service that people within that market want, and are willing to go to great lengths to get. Usually these arise when governments decide to interfere with the market by making something illegal, like alcohol or violent video games. And when that happens, there will usually be people willing to spend a larger amount of money and put themselves in danger of violence or legal trouble to get their hands on the banned product.

But if a company simply has no interest in making a game available in a certain region, for not apparent reason other than maybe not wanting to profit from this endevour? Well, a bad decision like that deserves consequences. If they don't want it in North America by way of people buying it, they ought not to mind if people pirate the shit out of it. After all, Nintendo of America evidently doesn't want to profit from this game, so what are they losing?

Personally, I think they should just let people import the game freely. The people could get the games they want, and Nintendo could still get some money from European sales. And then maybe they'll realize how much we want it over here, and localize it for the people who don't want to gut their Wiis.

And then maybe pigs will fly from my Wii and give better motion control. And a second Wiimote, because those bastards are expensive.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Stall said:
I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Okay, so you don't agree with a business decision they made. That's fine, but there is no need to be an immature prick about it. I'm sorry that you've just now arrived at the crushing realization that Nintendo isn't in the game to be your BFF, and actually tend to do their own things with the intent of what would be best for the company and shareholders because the entire rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point, but this episode is just beyond pathetic. It's like a little kid getting mad about realizing that gaming companies aren't our friends. Be a god damn realist about this, would you?
He cited sources pretty much confirming it would be impossible for them to lose money, it would take very little effort, and it would help sell their new console.

Nintendo isn't in this for business and money if it won't release good games.

He never once mentioned them being friends, he said they were retarded for believing it is a positive decision to not release these games and I agree because if Fatal Frame 4 hadn't been held back I would have spent a thousand dollars on their games instead of Sony's.
They don't release good games though so I don't want this console, I don't want their next console.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
They're cocky. Why do they need to lead into the release of the Wii U strongly? The Wii made unreal amounts of money. They don't feel the need to actually do anything more. They know the Wii U will sell stupid amounts too.
Why the hell would I want a WiiU or 3DS? I don't need a reason to go 3DS, and I don't see anything that seems to be worth my while to get a WiiU.

So, I don't really care about it at all.

Zhukov said:
Advocacy of piracy, albeit under rather specific conditions, from an editor-approved Escapist video.

Huh. I haven't seen that happen before.
It's been done by Extra Credits under... the exact same set of circumstances, how odd.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fronzel said:
Do I detect a satire of MovieBob's always-uncritical fellating of Mario's mushroom?
Well, I think he did call them out on not giving games to countries other than Japan a few times on his shows. It was about that Earthbound game I think, but I think he would be with Jim about this whole thing. I'm not even a Nintendo gamer and I'm quite mad about this crap.

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
There were actual legal reasons? I heard fans of the game were translating it but I'm not sure if they completed it.
Nintendo has never stated why they aren't porting Earthbound. The fan speculation has only come up with the fact that many songs in Earthbound are heavily influenced by (read: nearly rip-offs of) several English-language songs. However, Nintendo has refused to comment.

I can understand some shyness regarding Earthbound; they advertized the hell out of the game when it was released in the US but it was a horrible ad campaign. I should have been the target of their advertizing but the game looked for the world like it was trying to out gross-out Boogerman. The result was that the game was purchased by people who didn't like it and ignored by those who would. Naturally, NOA couldn't say "we wasted or exorbitant ad budget" so they decided "people don't like JRPGs" in the same year Chrono Trigger was released.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Bluecho said:
I'm a capitalist, so I support a company being able to make money for providing a product or service people want. However, what if a company simply doesn't want to make a particular product available in a certain area for no particular reason? Really, every instinct in my captitalist brain says that not localizing a game that a particular market wants is staggeringly stupid.

Do you know what causes black markets to appear? They spring up when a particular market is denied a product or service that people within that market want, and are willing to go to great lengths to get. Usually these arise when governments decide to interfere with the market by making something illegal, like alcohol or violent video games. And when that happens, there will usually be people willing to spend a larger amount of money and put themselves in danger of violence or legal trouble to get their hands on the banned product.

But if a company simply has no interest in making a game available in a certain region, for not apparent reason other than maybe not wanting to profit from this endevour? Well, a bad decision like that deserves consequences. If they don't want it in North America by way of people buying it, they ought not to mind if people pirate the shit out of it. After all, Nintendo of America evidently doesn't want to profit from this game, so what are they losing?

Personally, I think they should just let people import the game freely. The people could get the games they want, and Nintendo could still get some money from European sales. And then maybe they'll realize how much we want it over here, and localize it for the people who don't want to gut their Wiis.

And then maybe pigs will fly from my Wii and give better motion control. And a second Wiimote, because those bastards are expensive.
The more I think about it, the more I think they'll come as WII U exclusives. Demand for the game is obviously there and content WII gamers will be busy playing them during WII U's initial release, lowering console sales.

What better way to sell a new system than with a lineup of games that people have openly said they're guaranteed to buy? I don't imagine they want another release like the 3DS that had a small not so great game lineup.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Feylynn said:
He cited sources pretty much confirming it would be impossible for them to lose money, it would take very little effort, and it would help sell their new console.
What sources? A graph showing trends? Do you honestly believe Nintendo doesn't know that? Do you seriously think companies are just blistering retards, and fans know much more about their MO and profits than they do? Nintendo KNEW about those trends... I promise you. It's not like they magically ignored it, or didn't know such trends existed. That source is filmsy, and FAR from guaranteeing that Nintendo would make money with these titles. It's clear they had their reasons for not choosing to release these games. Either respect it, or just shut up... I am sorry to be blunt.

Feylynn said:
Nintendo isn't in this for business and money if it won't release good games.
How does that even make sense? They're a corporation. They're sole responsibility is delivering to the shareholders. If Nintendo didn't release the games here, they clearly had a good reason to. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but it was their decision, reached by the company's executives and shareholders (which I am not a member of), so the best I can do is say "okay" and move on. Nintendo has been making record profits, and hasn't been releasing too many good games recently. PROFIT is all they care about. It's all they've ALWAYS cared about. It's all the Big Three or anyone in the video games industry as a whole care about.

Feylynn said:
He never once mentioned them being friends, he said they were retarded for believing it is a positive decision to not release these games
It's this over idealized postulations of these corporations that kill me. Nintendo, Sony, MS... all of these guys... they aren't here to make you happy. They don't care what you want or think. They are here to cut a profit. They don't CARE about you (unless you own stock). NDA and their shareholders CLEARLY thought it was not a good decision to release these games. They're a reason they did this, but they aren't making it public. Don't say they wouldn't of made a profit. You know literally nothing about the company besides some crap picture someone assembled. It's ignorant and outright foolish of you to believe that you know more about NDA than its executives and shareholders who made this decision.

You don't agree with it... that's great. That's all you can do.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
As someone who doesn't bother with Nintendo games, I find their business practice more entertaining than distressing, but I understand the rage and hope that they might pull their heads out of their asses... some day.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Stall said:
I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Okay, so you don't agree with a business decision they made. That's fine, but there is no need to be an immature prick about it. I'm sorry that you've just now arrived at the crushing realization that Nintendo isn't in the game to be your BFF, and actually tend to do their own things with the intent of what would be best for the company and shareholders because the entire rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point, but this episode is just beyond pathetic. It's like a little kid getting mad about realizing that gaming companies aren't our friends. Be a god damn realist about this, would you?

Dude, NOA's localisation policies suck balls. and i live in Australia, where games get bad because we are all serial rapists and murderers waiting to happen if we play anything ultra-violent like Mortal Kombat.

and in response to your argument, yes your right, Nintendo is running a business, and yes it is to make shareholder's happy, but you forgot what the key part of running a business normally relies on. The Consumer. and i thought the aim of any corporation is to maximise profits as you pointed out? That's the point Jim's making. (he can be an arrogant one, but he backs up his arguments with evidence and thats got brownie points no matter what) why would a business not want to make money off a consumer base demanding there product?

OT: Good video! I'd say this series is on track.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
the spud said:
Wow. Nintendo can be pricks.

They did the same thing with earthbound and the rest of the Mother series. They won't even release earthbound on the virtual console, due to fairly minor legal reasons. Maybe its time they grow some balls.
It's like they don't WANT to be in business.

They fucked up the wii hard, and then release the 3DS before any games are ready for it. >.>

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Can't really argue with this submission. However it is hardly a new thing, nor is it restricted just to NoA. Hell, Sega of America was sunk by much of the very same poor decision making back in the 90s. You would think that Nintendo would have learned from their old rivals mistakes even this long after they flung the last shovel full of dirt on them.

At least with PC I don't have to futz with this nonsense. While I do have to futz with DRM, it is not nearly as bad as all that and I can play any English language game I want to without having to hack my own machine.

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
Guys this is actually a good thing!
Remember when Sega released the SegaCD/MegaCD and refused to support their system, and then nobody gave a fuck about the Saturn and the Dreamcast? Remember Sega had to leave the hardware business and focus only on games because they couldn't afford another console?
Well same here. People are gonna remember this stupidity and refrain from buying the Wii U, as a result Nintendo is gonna have to drop the hardware business and we will finally have Donkey Kong on the PS4.
It may piss you off now, but when you don't need to buy another console only to play the next Zelda/Mario game, you'll be happy.
Good times ahead!
Thank you Nintendo of America!