Jimquisition: Objectification And... Men?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Objectification And... Men?

A common argument in the ongoing debate over gender and videogames is that women and men both are equally objectified. Is that really true?

Watch Video

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Your use of forward slashes has totally changed my way of doing things. I'll do a top ten gaming babes next week.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'm trying my hardest to find all the videos I've done addressing the idea of male objectification before. I must have been on some killer drugs to forget all those.

=/=/=

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
are people really complaining about your persona being too smug?
way to miss the point lol

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
All very good points and arguments that have, unfortunately, been covered many times by many people for about a year now. Sure, people still use this defence so you could argue it bears repeating, but honestly this has been said ad nauseum. No new perspectives were brought up, no new ideas, just the ones covered by everyone else.

Not that it detracts from the points you've made. I firmly agree, it's just dull to see what you've seen before.

Calumon's sleeping, I'm lazy. Bleck.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Sir Christopher McFarlane said:
Yeah, Jim, stop talking about this immediately!
What I like is that you posted what was *really* wanting to be said.

"This is getting old" is always a reliable way to mask, "I dislike this topic."

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Pretty nice video, you resolved the problem I had with "power fantasies" because I don't feel powerful when playing as certain characters, but I do feel like they have very strong ideals. I feel it is better to call male characters idealized than "power fantasies" since that term only applies in few games. (God of War, Warhammer 40k Space Marine) While Idelaized cna include physically weak but morally strong characters like Lee, Luigi and Link.

I think more companies could attract a female audience if they made male characters for them: Alistair and Thane are great examples of male characters made for women that don't "repel" men and are publisher friendly, but this is only a half-measure, but we need to get publishers to accept females as a audience that can sell a game before we start with truly unique and cool female protagonists.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Sir Christopher McFarlane said:
Yeah, Jim, stop talking about this immediately!
What I like is that you posted what was *really* wanting to be said.

"This is getting old" is always a reliable way to mask, "I dislike this topic."
The only topic I dislike is Jim talking about his abs and not showing them.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
The so-called "Jimquisition persona" is what got me into watching your videos in the first place. In fact, I think that it's part of what makes them stand out. Yeah, it's not likeable, but is it really important to have a "likable" talking head? Also, I bet you're doing it for comic effect anyway. It's like complaining about a stand-up comedian exaggerating things or actors in slapstick wasting pies.