Jimquisition: Old Man Mario

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Old Man Mario

Everybody knows Mario, most people love him, but is Mario being Mario enough anymore?

Watch Video

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Hi Jim. I haven't seen the video yet since I usually like downloading them before I do. But I noticed it isn't listed on your podcast page yet. Any idea when it will be up? Thanks.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Is this the part 2 to your "I Hate Videogames" episode's part 1? Or is that never coming?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Usually a Mario game sells a Nintendo system for me (see: Super Mario Bros. DS ["New" prefix is stupid] and Super Mario Galaxy).
The 3DS and its Mario games have not enticed me, even though they are at a reasonable prices.

If Nintendo really wants to push the "retro" button until it breaks, they might as well push it as many times as it can, as in bring in EVERY element from the older games into Super Mario Bros. U. I'm talking about Blooper families, Chucks (football koopas), Rip Van Fish, Shy Guys, the whole assortment across the older games. Now THAT would sell me on the WiiU, give or take a Super Mario Galaxy 3 that evolves the series like Super Mario Bros. 3.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Too early in the thread for the inevitable shit-storm?
Disappointed.
Personally, I haven't been excited for a SMB game in bloody ages. I can see where Jim is coming from.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I totally get what you are trying to say, and you are right to a point. However I don't agree that anyone has done what Mario does better. Super Meatboy had better and more refreshing platforming, true. But Mario games are more about just trial&error platforming. It has enemies to fight throughout all the stages, and I've found that helps balance out the fun. I also think FPSs were once much more fun when they had more to do then just point and shoot. I liked finding keycards, actually being able to swim, uncovering secrets, etc. Sure, FPSs of today have MUCH better shooting mechanics, that's not even debatable. But current FPSs aren't necessarily superior, since they lack all those other things that broke up the monotony of just pointing and shooting a gun. Mario isn't the best game, and it is showing it's age, but I don't really see any games today trying to do what Mario does (which is funny since there was 100 clones back in the day). (Okok, there is Rayman, but that's a rare gem) I don't want to see Mario go away because it's one of the few platformers we have left, and one of the few platformers that remembers the genre was about more then just jumping.

Dec 14, 2009
Agreed.

I thoroughly enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy, so I thought 'Hey, SMG2, now with Yoshi!'

Same setting, same music, I just wasn't interested in playing that any more.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm not crazy about the "New" series. They're just an officially made fan game. A lot of fun to play, but not of substance. That being said, they make money. So Nintendo does have reason to make them.

And the big, massive mind-blowers typically come out once a generation after the NES. Super Mario World, Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy... plenty of interesting spin-offs, but those are more distractions to keep making money until the real meat comes along. Of course, then there are the surprises like the Mario RPGs.

Galaxy 2 was an exception, but it came around the time of the "New" titles, so it wasn't helping with the whole "showing his age" thing. As long as the "New" series doesn't interrupt the REAL new Mario games, I'm fine.

Still, I'm curious what the WiiU 3D Mario Platformer will be. Where can one go after Galaxy?

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
Not only are the new games uninspired, they dilute any love I had for previous games; I tried replaying Galaxy a couple of months ago, and it inspired no emotions in me, I'm burned out on everything it does.

So how long until someone brings up Moviebob still liking Mario games?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I agree with most of the things stated in this video, though I haven't really been into Mario since the SNES era. Mario 64 was nice enough, but during that same generation (the 5th gen) the game got surpassed on every level by other platformer games - which made me wonder why they never made a sequel to Mario 64 on the N64 console to reclaim their position.

Mario Sunshine had some of the lowest scores a "main" Mario title ever had. It was also released around the same time we got Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Raccoon - other platformer titles that were very enjoyable and developed new, interesting mechanics without depending on nostalgia. Now that the new Mario game wasn't released before the onslaught of other platformer titles, people started to realize Mario games aren't THAT great. They're good, but they aren't worth the showers of "perfect scores".

Then the 7th gen happened...

These days, the only competition Mario gets from the platformer genre is the LEGO franchise - which is a sad statement in and of itself.

Why try harder if nobody's challenging you...

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Nintendo should have Mario take on the 4th dimension next, complete with paradoxes that need to be resolved into stable time loops.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
So what I'm getting from this video is... that they need to make a third Yoshi's island game.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
This week's episode reminded me of the underlying setting for There Will be Brawl in so many ways.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/there-will-be-brawl