Jimquisition: Only The Lonely

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, pretty much summed up my thoughts. These days I don't buy games unless they have a single player experience, as I'm not going to arbitrarily play with some idiot online because the devs thought it might be funny to watch some guy jumping around like a retard because he can.
I actively make up excuses and avoid playing with my friends a lot of the time because, generally, I'll have just spent a whole day around them, and don't want to spend more time with them when I could just sit down and do what I want instead.

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
Good on you. Dont change because anyone thinks you should. You are a very opinionated person, and thats good because too many people give in to popular demand. I love watching your videos not because your trolling everyone, but because your honest.
I wish you the best.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I think you're either missing the point of his statement or you're ignoring it.

He doesn't have a clue (or care that much) if multiplayer is good for his game or not, he's been told to put it in there because of EA, or he can't make the game, and now he's trying to justify it. The same way Bioware did with Mass Effect 3.

Exacerbated point still stands though I think. Some games benefit from being singleplayer (like horror games). The same way some games benefit from being multiplayer (like the FPS).

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I prefer single player gaming.

In single player, when I die, I don't have to hear 100 different variations of how much I suck.

In single player, I don't have to explain to anyone why I just used my strongest weapon against my weakest enemies.

In single player, I don't have someone asking me if I sleep with men.

In single player, NPC's don't hack the game and cheat.

In single player, I don't get kicked out of the first 3 games I try to join.

In single player, I don't get tempted by friend requests from teenage girls.

In single player, I don't get spawn-camped.

In single player, I'm never made aware that my mom was a man mattress and my real father was the plumber.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Moth_Monk said:
mike1921 said:
I really can't wrap my head around the idea that you honestly think that calling 90% of the world's population idiots for not thinking the exact same way as you is a good idea and something that shouldn't be frowned on.

The moral? Calm down. Seriously.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
why can't the industry people stop treating us like were stupid

because heres thing..

SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER ARE DIFFERENCT EXPEREINCES

did I just blow your fucking mind marketing people? I'm sick to death of EA and the like acting as if cramming multiplayer is going to somhow make a game better (it doesnt) or that it is an upgrade of single player (it isnt) do you think I had more fun playing borderlands 2 while somone was teabagging lillith?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Exacerbated point still stands though I think. Some games benefit from being singleplayer (like horror games). The same way some games benefit from being multiplayer (like the FPS).
why does a FPS have to have mutliplayer? first person perepctive is a good environemnt/story telling tool..mabye the devs focus was elsewhere?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
why does a FPS have to have mutliplayer? first person perepctive is a good environemnt/story telling tool..mabye the devs focus was elsewhere?
I never said an FPS has to have multiplayer. I said some FPS games benefit from having multiplayer. I agree that the first person perspective is good for projecting the player onto that character though (like Skyrim). Whereas games like Call of Duty and Battlefield (first person shooters) are marred with ridiculously linear and heavily scripted singleplayer and only shine in their multiplayer aspects because the shooting mechanics are so great.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
why can't the industry people stop treating us like were stupid

because heres thing..

SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER ARE DIFFERENCT EXPEREINCES

did I just blow your fucking mind marketing people? I'm sick to death of EA and the like acting as if cramming multiplayer is going to somhow make a game better (it doesnt) or that it is an upgrade of single player (it isnt) do you think I had more fun playing borderlands 2 while somone was teabagging lillith?
For some it is. I don't really mind co-op and multiplayer in games because they provide options, different strokes for different folks. What I mind is multiplayer modes and co-op modes where the devs clearly didn't give a shit (Spec Ops the Line and Bioshock 2)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Um...well, you see...reasons...I think...?
That's the impression that I get.

OT: I play games alone A LOT, and it's not because I don't have any friends to play games with, but it's mainly because I want to experience a game and what it has without someone taking me out of it.

Plus when I play games, most of the time, I want to be left along and decompress after a long day.

I don't see how that's hard to understand for some people (not you quoted person, you're cool).
I personally like it both ways. Hell, a lot of games I will do alone AND with people. I have multiple solo AND co-op characters for Borderlands 2, Saints Rows 2 and 3, (sort of) Red Dead Redemption, and probably a ton of games that will occur to me after I hit "post." I am a social gamer, but only to a point. It can be both fun to shoot things up with friends and to backstab alone for me. For most games, I tend towards the solo thing, though. Part of that is ease of play (easier to boot up your own console, rather than waiting around for people), but a lot of it is just that I like the solo experience as well.

And there should be no shame in playing alone.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Of course I thank God for Jimquisition, I thank God each day for pretty much anything that gives me joy. And anyone that doesn't give God credit for unlikely chain of events, the thermodynamic miracle, that lead to this show being made and placed us in the time and place necessary to witness the spectacle; well, they are really selling God short.

By the way Jim, through my own prays thanking God for you, I believe the reply I am getting is: "You're welcome."

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
OT: I play games alone A LOT, and it's not because I don't have any friends to play games with, but it's mainly because I want to experience a game and what it has without someone taking me out of it.

Plus when I play games, most of the time, I want to be left along and decompress after a long day.

I don't see how that's hard to understand for some people (not you quoted person, you're cool).
I personally like it both ways. Hell, a lot of games I will do alone AND with people. I have multiple solo AND co-op characters for Borderlands 2, Saints Rows 2 and 3, (sort of) Red Dead Redemption, and probably a ton of games that will occur to me after I hit "post." I am a social gamer, but only to a point. It can be both fun to shoot things up with friends and to backstab alone for me. For most games, I tend towards the solo thing, though. Part of that is ease of play (easier to boot up your own console, rather than waiting around for people), but a lot of it is just that I like the solo experience as well.

And there should be no shame in playing alone.
I've played multiplayer only a handful of times and that was with AC: Brotherhood and Revelations, and those were brief encounters. I just get bored with multiplayer after a while, and I don't find it fun. I don't really know why, but it might have to do with how repetitive it can get and that it's so emphasized in games that it just appeal to me. :/

I have played co-op a few times and am right in the middle of one with Borderlands 2 and I do think that's a lot of fun, and I just think I got lucky of who this random stranger is I'm playing with. I don't get a chance to play with friends because I either don't play the game they want to do co-op with or it's on a system I don't own, but the times I do get to I have a blast.

I'm mainly an RPG player so I prefer to play alone and not have someone with me while I play. I guess I'm just so used to playing games by myself for so long that it doesn't bother me and I find that stance of how it's a shame if you play alone to be ridiculous. And like you said, there should be no shame in playing alone, and especially if the game is better for single player.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I don't advocate necessarily for Religion, I advocate against bashing it just as I advocate against bashing atheism but it seems like I'll always be a minority.

Anyways I agree full-board with you, although I find that although I'm religious, I'm against the bible-beaters on this one, no question. Ironic or humourous blasphemy isn't bad, or at least as bad as they say it is, as I believe God has a sense of humour, if you view it from my stand-point there's little else to explain the existence of irony. Plus if its an atheist doing it it's also not real blasphemy because blasphemy can not occur within their frame of mind, as there is no one to offend with those jokes but sensitive believer. Anyways, Jim I defend your right to make your jokes, so please don't rope me and others like me in with the other prudes, alright?

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I like to think that Jesus sits in a leather chair in heaven, watching Jim on a TV and laughing his head off.

Also, You are bloody right. Sometimes, I just wanna be alone... in fact, it would be closer to the truth to say 'sometimes i just wanna interact with people'.

Fortunately, from the looks of it, you have the option to close your city's region off and play alone.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's funny how social people can't get that some of us like some solo time. General issues with multiplayer aside (tech issues, gamer imbalance) I like the alone time. I deal with people all day, and most of those encounters are people that can't solve their own problem, create problems for me, and show no gratitude for the former or remorse for the latter (it's office administration: all the stupid people of tech support with the penalty of they don't go away). I game to get away from hem and spend some time in a world I control. where my success and failures are my own, and I don't have to deal with people that can't do a google search, read a help file, or remember what I told them last time they had the same problem.

It's like when school sees a loner bookworm and decides to shove them into some extra curricular sport, not getting that that was the kind of activity the loner was trying to avoid. I don't need multiplayer to game with friends. I've spent a lot of hours players while a friend watches, helps and comments, or just chats, and hours doing the same while another plays, or no one playing and just talking about games. I get they want to sell more controllers, systems, disks, and the like, but socil doesn't mean we all have to be playing at the same time.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Okay Jim does realize that Maxis was bought by EA and that this was just their stupid, and contrived reasoning behind including DRM in the game right?

He does get that right?

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Well done, the first one I like. You keep getting better, but by your intro you were already there. You just waited till now to show that to others.