Jimquisition: Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Saw the Darksiders Death Mask in the background, are you a fan of darksiders 2 as well Jim?

I38VWI

Nov 9, 2009
Jim, you are my favorite video game persona in every regard.
Even when I don't agree with you, which I've found to be rare, I always respect the crap out of you.

Happy Christmas, Jimothy.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
If I'd known at the beginning I was allowed to skip it I could've eaten dinner before work! God damn it.

Just kidding. Marvelous message sir.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
*pause*
Just one correction, the Sarkeesian hatred was neither bad nor good, for Anita willingly chose to be a troll; she chose to line her decent points with incendiary subtext; she chose to keep that smug goddamn face every second she's recording.

Whether or not anyone *deserves* to be treated that way isn't as important here as the fact that she *wanted* to be treated that way. And it's not like this is hard to prove; she boasts about her hatred in presentations and seminars, it's clearly what she wanted and is clearly happy that she has it.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Great video Jim, that was quite a speech indeed.

Have a Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Jim m'lad, been a great year. You've made some excellent videos and spread knowledge and insight to the general public. Thank you for all your hard work, and I wish you and your family the best for the new year man. Much love from California. (S.F. Bay Area) Indeed, thank god for you!

Jarod

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
This was a nice little chat Jim. Thanks for that. I have also come to generally enjoy checking your video every week, and whereas we don't always see eye to eye, it is still an interesting and insightful romp across the fields of your passionate mind. I'm glad we share more than a part of our name *grins*

allesmistxyz

Jul 2, 2012
Hey Jim!

Stumbled accross your videos, while having a shitty time. Watched, really enjoyed the theme song! ... and your laconic, passionate and outspoken way of thinking and doing the show! Not having a shitty time anymore, but still watch the show.

So, that's that.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot: Thank you, for you (you can choose to interpret this anyway you like, as long as there's no spanish inquisition around, I guess...)

Darkeagle6

Nov 12, 2008
UltraHammer said:
*pause*
Just one correction, the Sarkeesian hatred was neither bad nor good, for Anita willingly chose to be a troll; she chose to line her decent points with incendiary subtext; she chose to keep that smug goddamn face every second she's recording.

Whether or not anyone *deserves* to be treated that way isn't as important here as the fact that she *wanted* to be treated that way. And it's not like this is hard to prove; she boasts about her hatred in presentations and seminars, it's clearly what she wanted and is clearly happy that she has it.
I haven't followed the whole Anita mess too closely, but I've watched some of her videos, so... what exactly are you referring to when you say she "lined her decent points with incendiary subtext"? Or "that smug goddamn face"? It concerns me that her face is making you angry.

For the record, staying silent about the *mountains* of shit that were heaped on her, so much of which was gender-related, would've been a disservice to anyone who is harassed like that. That is, regardless of the "reason" all of that bile was sent to her. I think she's absolutely right to bring it up and use it to her advantage, considering how common that kind of shit is in the gaming community (and in general). One of the main points of the hate-mail is to silence.

Anyway, I actually just logged in to thank Jim for being Jim :) I think we could all do with being less shit people. Happy New Year!

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Congrats Jim, you just got real and it was still entertaining.

I plan to continue watching your show for the foreseeable future.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You mentioned anita - isntant contraversy.

Phil Fish however was himself harassing the media far more than he recieved harassment, so im not sad about him leaving. Good riddance i say.

---

Not enjoying an argument is bad reason to stop. Just because it is unconfortable does not mean it must go away.

Also nice of you to tell us not to watch the episode in the end of the episode. Well played.

Vault Citizen said:
You forgot reason 3 not to be watching on Chrismtas Day Jim

"or you suffered a power cut on the day and weren't able to turn your lights on, let alone go on the internet"
Nonesense, there are things like batteries and mobile phones! there is no excuse not to watch Jim talk.

hentropy said:
I'd vote for you for Queen any day, Jim.
I sincerely hope you wrote this knowing the irony of "voting for a queen".

saxman234 said:
Dear Escapists. Please stop having ads that are videos that start by themselves. They are obnoxious and make people get ad block. I have not done that yet but if i have to keep turning off these video ads I may be convinced to. This is an advertisement from 'Yahoo' and is something about "Keith's Story".

Great unscripted episode Jim! It was interesting to watch an episode without the persona. Looking forward to the worst games of 2013!
I have to second that, video advertisement is the most evil you can get with a website. then again i didnt saw any because i think site is broken for me today. this is how the mainpage looks to me:

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
All the polygons, dammit :'(
Non-existing God bless you indeed Jim.
And happy new year to you, my fellow escapee.
Yes you. Not someone else, but you.
I know you're reading this right now.
So happy new year to you.
I wish you to be one of the last person eaten by polar bears.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
2013 has proven to be an absolutely wretched year for gaming.
Not without its bright points, obviously, but the cons greatly outweighed the pros.

More than anything, this year was the Year of Deception and Anger.

-We saw EA break every promise they made for SimCity.

The Always Online DRM rendered the game utterly and completely unplayable for the vast majority of its users for the first week or so of launch. The GlassBox AI highlighted the hilariously AWFUL interactions, like Sims moving into housing "First Come, First Serve" style. While the broken traffic algorithm hilariously emulated old routing loop problems encountered back in the days of RIP (old network engineers, you know what I refer to; Split Horizons and Count to Infinity ho!)

-Aliens: Colonial Marines turned out to be a complete Bait-And-Switch job from what was shown in its demo the year before.
Strictly worse in every way than what was promised; between the broken AI, downgraded graphics and missing content demonstrated. But worse, the game was financially validated thanks to pre-orders, which raised many legitimate questions about what should or should not constitute False Advertising and whether Pre-orders are a sensible option at all.
Consumer trust will become scarce in the future, if shit like this becomes a trend.

-Then came the Xbox One (Xbone)

The Xbone reveal was disastrous and riddled with confusion, contradictions and reeked of a big marketing con-job that sought to upsell HORRIBLE restrictions as features. Even after the now infamouse "Xbone-180", a small cadre of vocal idiots, I dubbed the "Xbone Heartbreaks" thought the old, convoluted, hyper-restrictive DRM platform was brilliant and that we had all somehow killed progress by rightly rejecting it.

I cannot in all honesty see any validity to their claims; Occam's Razor suggests it was just trolls looking to piss people off by riding the controversy, or were corporate plants paid to try and sway opinion for the future. Either way, they failed.

In brief, the post-E3 Xbone was an improved offering, make no bones about it. But the sudden resulting change in attitude from Microsoft was nothing short of embarrassing; like a spoiled brat taking his toys and leaving because he couldn't get his way. Which only reinforced my belief in this being some unholy power grab to cement the very worst practices I don't want to see in gaming as industry-wide standards.

-On the other side of the fence, gamer anger and personal outrage managed to trump last year's; a feat that I find nothing short of incredible. Amidst all of this other shit, I've lost track of the number of personal attacks, cyberstalking and harassment campaigns aimed at developers, and NONE OF IT was warranted.
Not even against Anita Sarkeesian; ESPECIALLY not against her. Though, I'll address her separately as hers is a..unique case.

It just makes me ashamed to even be loosely associated with these kinds of trolls. It's not even the "funny" kind of trolling either; it's just being a colossal asshole. Every "community" has assholes and factions of backwards dumbfucks in it and we shouldn't assume the sins of the few represent the many, but holy fuck does the Internet make it way too easy for this shit to get out of control.

Darkeagle6 said:
For the record, staying silent about the *mountains* of shit that were heaped on her, so much of which was gender-related, would've been a disservice to anyone who is harassed like that. That is, regardless of the "reason" all of that bile was sent to her. I think she's absolutely right to bring it up and use it to her advantage, considering how common that kind of shit is in the gaming community (and in general). One of the main points of the hate-mail is to silence.
While Anita's trolling exposes the rot within the greater "gaming community", I can't see any way this has benefited us or the medium. Well, unless you're the sort who just loves reading flame wars.

To me, this is an absolute No-Win scenario. Either I have to endure Ms Sarkeesian's frequent cherry picking and sometimes questionable rhetoric (to call her work "academic" only proves one's ignorance to what academic standards actually are, like the ignorance of a certain overblown movie critic I could name) or I have to endure the misogynist idiots and reactionary hate trolls who respond to her purely for attention.

Which has resulted in a profoundly fucked up Symbiotic relationship between Sarkeesian and her hater/trolls; an amazing tag-team constructed to generate buzz for Sarkeesian while conveniently giving her a way to ignore all REAL, valid, logical criticism. And sadly, it works, as there are people who blindly latch onto her every word even in the face of proof to the contrary.

So yeah...I agree with UltraHammer here. She has embraced the internet hate machine, and is milking it.
A pity we couldn't much that's actually worthwhile out of it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
reiniat said:
Strazdas said:
Phil Fish however was himself harassing the media far more than he recieved harassment, so im not sad about him leaving. Good riddance i say.
I personally never understood this point of view.... Because you know, you can just ignore Phil Fish and problemo solved, and you can keep enjoying Fez, its not like suddenly it becomes a horrible game because his creator is an asshole to you...
Dont feed the troll, etcetera, wasnt that one of the main rules of the internet? Phil Fish may have been an asshole but he did good games, he should come back (and stay in silence).
So if Phil Fish is insulting me, i can "just ignore it". Then so can he when he is being harassed as well, problem solved? apparently not.
No, the internet is beatiful in that there is only one rule - dont get caught. It is the last bastion of freedom left where government hasnt managed to regulate thought significantly enough. However some websites have their own restrictions, like this ones rule of conduit.
Personally i never cared about his games, so that was not a factor in it, however i believe that if by buying Fez i would have given him encouragement to be an asshole then it is right thing to do not to buy Fez, despite it being a good game. I know not everyone thinks the same in this case, but that is that.

Atmos Duality said:
While Anita's trolling exposes the rot within the greater "gaming community", I can't see any way this has benefited us or the medium. Well, unless you're the sort who just loves reading flame wars.

To me, this is an absolute No-Win scenario. Either I have to endure Ms Sarkeesian's frequent cherry picking and sometimes questionable rhetoric (to call her work "academic" only proves one's ignorance to what academic standards actually are, like the ignorance of a certain overblown movie critic I could name) or I have to endure the misogynist idiots and reactionary hate trolls who respond to her purely for attention.

Which has resulted in a profoundly fucked up Symbiotic relationship between Sarkeesian and her hater/trolls; an amazing tag-team constructed to generate buzz for Sarkeesian while conveniently giving her a way to ignore all REAL, valid, logical criticism. And sadly, it works, as there are people who blindly latch onto her every word even in the face of proof to the contrary.

So yeah...I agree with UltraHammer here. She has embraced the internet hate machine, and is milking it.
A pity we couldn't much that's actually worthwhile out of it.
Reading flame wars is like watching a great drama, except completely real.
You are correct in that Anita is a unique case in this, as most of the hate she has garnered - she created herself, either through attacking the internet first (going to 4 chan of all places too), or though blatantly lieing about her own life (she says shes a long time gamer then next time says she only started playing shortly before making videos, ect). Much of the hate for the gal is very much warranted, though i agree that personal attacks and death treats are obviously unwelcome. The problem is that in the sea of hate and trolling legitimate criticism gets swept under "you evil haters" just the same, which makes it a painful exercise to not just give up and go "Whatever".
She has conned the internet very well, she knew where to touch us to make the trolls come after her and then turned it around on ourselves and startmed making money off it. If this was intentional, and it very much feels that way, all i can say is congratulations, you have outsmarted the internet.
She hasnt embraced the internet hate machine, she abused it.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
Well said and God bless, Jim. It matters about the games and about the people who make them.

Dunno if feedback Fish got was deserved or not, but still. I hope he does return, and it would also be cool if he brings a new game with him. After all, it's the enjoyment that we gamers all share and should all share to keep ourselves happy friendly, and whatnot. It's the development of the game that we all enjoy from the start to the finish.

devnull12

Jul 28, 2012
Love the video Jim. Look forward to your yearly speech from now on and as always your other weekly posts. Merry Christmas and thank you for taking time out of your holiday and posting this video.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
god save Jim,
thank god for Jim

but yeah, we as gamers should stick together as a positive, supportive force, instead of a destructive one