Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Microsoft has set up their system to provide more flexibility for sharing and ownership in an all digital game space. Sony has set up their system to provide more flexibility for sharing and ownership of physical disks. One of these is the future, and one of them is the past.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Mister Linton said:
Microsoft has set up their system to provide more flexibility for sharing and ownership in an all digital game space. Sony has set up their system to provide more flexibility for sharing and ownership of physical disks. One of these is the future, and one of them is the past.
Have M$ clarified and with explicit detail without a shadow of a doubt of what their digital flexibility is? They haven't? Ok, so all they're doing right now is fucking up the Future. Move along now.

Disastermouse

Jun 17, 2013
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
That's what everyone said about Sony moving to a pay-to-play for multiplayer this gen - and it NEVER HAPPENED. Sure, it's happening NEXT gen, but PS+ is so hilariously better than XBL Gold that it's almost comical. F2P games won't be behind the paywall, MMOs with their own subscription price won't be behind the paywall, and Netflix and all the other things that MS locks behind paywalls won't be locked behind a paywall.

So yeah, judging by this gen, IF Sony implements any of MS's BS, it'll be next-gen, which will make the MS moves irrelevant, as next-gen will be ALL-Digital.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Well done sir, I could not have said it more eloquently myself. As always thank the Lord for Jim Sterling.

Seriously though, status quo IS worthy of applause, but it's sad that the situation is such.

EDIT: I will totally consider the Wii-U if...

1) they institute a decent controller that doesn't die twice per sitting (and hurt after a few hours of play)

2) they actually get games

3) they get GOOD exclusives (to be fair, E3 showed me 3 that I wanted...good start)

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
This has honestly gotten me asking, how long will it take for the Xbone to be hacked to delete the DRM effects? And if they do that, will they be sued and cause another Linux PS3 fiasco?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'd equate this to a Slave Master promising not to use the whips today.
Just slavery? You don't want to go for a full Godwin here?

It's a little over the top to compare standard consumer practices to slavery, especially the most abusive practices (and practitioners) of slavery.
"Standard consumer practices???" If the shit Microsoft and others pull is considered standard then things are even worse than I ever imagined. I mean I knew they were in danger of becoming standard, but if they're already standard then we've already lost.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
zalithar said:
RandV80 said:
thanatos388 said:
While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.
You mean like the Microsoft's 10 family member thingy?

I don't know about that, if you interpret their system in the most gamer friendly manner popular then you would have a system that does far more damage to the publishers than used games ever could. Microsoft wouldn't give the publishers such a big bone only to take them behind the shed and shoot em.

Fundamentally though, I would say the system their implementing has everything to do with disc based game sharing. Unlike Steam which is more for personal use, the Xbox One will typically sit in the living room and for larger households be a family device. If little Timmy has an Xbox live account and little brother Jimmy also has his own, it would be suicide for MS to suggest the parents need to buy two 'licenses' of a game so they can both play.

That's what needs to be preserved here. If Sony doesn't have this for their digital purchases and you need that functionality, then you can just buy the retail copy.
A little anecdote for you.
My friend has playstation plus and I do not. Mostly because I just haven't gotten around to it, and it's low on my priorities. He came over to my house loaded his profile on my system and downloaded a copy of dungeon defenders to my console so we could play it. After he left I could still play dungeon defenders on my system without logging into his account, or even being logged into the system itself as him. My account can play things his account installed.

Sony kind of has a cut down version of Microsoft's family plan, except their not advertising it as a feature it's just part of the console. It's not as extensive but it works to its own degree.
That's actually really awesome, even better then steam in my case. I got a disc version of left 4 dead 2 and put on the pc but it had installed it on my brothers account and we couldn't find a way to transferring it over to my account so I'm stuck playing it on his account.

Steam is cool and all I just wished they didn't hate physical copies as much as they do.

OT: Maintaining policy is significant, I mean when a government says they shall continue funding particular areas that's always significan and in this case its working very well for sony.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
simwaroar5 said:
Yes what PS4 did is exactly the same as the PS3 and 360, because there is nothing new they are just selling updated graphics and coming out with some new sequels everyone has been asking for and their own exclusives. That's it!
That is pretty much what everyone wants.... newer, prettier games. They want games that look better and you can do more in. No one wants new ways to watch television or smartglass (the thing that existed before MS decided they were going to do it themselves and give it a stupid name).

Yeah they do add DRM all the time, there will be season passes, microtransactions, day-one dlc. Also Sony never said they had plan's for any digital sharing which Microsoft has. Along with the ability to trade you games in at Gamestop for 32 cents each. Honestly I never trade games in because they never give you anything, but you all want it so bad and you have it, but you are still complaining. The only people they are screwing over are the little games stores, but as we enter a digital age they are going away anyway.
No one is denying that the world is moving towards a digital age. But MS is simply using that excuse to put more restrictions on customers, not to actually make anything innovative. The things is, Sony said they weren't going to build DRM into the system and that first party titles would not be using it. But any publisher that wishes to use online passes or whatever they want to use, is free to. I'm with you though, I don't trade in games. The few console titles I buy are ones that I never plan on trading in. That said, I don't think people buy many digital titles with the intention of trading them in. The ability to give a digital title to a friend is awesome, but it's rendered almost useless because it still negates game sharing with friends. You can't lend it to a friend and give it back. And that person then cannot lend or give it to another friend once they have it. It's neat but at the same time completely useless. It's not innovative or even a good idea, ultimately, because of that very restriction.

Yeah well if consoles start adopting the Steam model (which Microsoft has been edging towards with all the new sales and the dedicated sale section of their marketplace) then it will be a great innovation. along with all the added game play benefits of the Kinect 2.
We all know that is happening. Consoles are years behind the PC on that front. But you can buy lots of digital titles from lots of locations with varying prices. Steam is only one of many digital platforms on the PC. For either MS or Sony, it won't be like that. There will be the Sony Store and MS Store, and that is it. There will be no competition, no competitive pricing, they are both literally shooting themselves in the foot, but MS is doing a much better shooting job than Sony. That is by making restrictions such as the necessity to connect to their server every 24 hours. We have awesome internet in my house. My room mate loves his 360. But that alone is making him buy Sony this time around.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Could have mentioned the one downside to the whole thing, having to pay for multiplayer now.

Microsoft just straight up gave its customers the middle finger and ram its cock into their asses! Sony was kind enough to buy their customers dinner before just slipping in the tip :p
Even with that there's a couple of....silver linings? Yes you have to pay but PS+ is cheaper, gives you PS Store discounts and you get monthly free games.

Plus while it's needed to play online multiplayer that only counts for games you buy, you won't need a subscription to play any of the F2P games.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, when you're sitting on the doorstep of the gaming "apocalypse" (*rolls eyes*) those who are going with the status quo (of a better, more stable time) are going to win by default.

As long as it has games worth playing of course.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Big_Isaac said:
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?
Ah yes, Miyamoto made me chuckle with that one. ^^

OT: Even though Sony deserves praise for doing nothing (in itself something that boggles the mind), for me, from the very beggining it wasn't about something new. I wanted to see something old.

I harped and will continue to harp on the Xbone with everything I've got and with everyone else, because something this draconic should not be. The Wii U will only stay in the sidelines until a Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Smash bros. is launched and I hope it picks up the pace, if only for the Xbone to fail compared not just to the PS4, but also to the currently failing Wii U.

Still, if I get a PS4, I'll only do it after the launch of Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3 (if I can get the whole continuity squared away before its launch will be a miracle in and of itself, stupid 1-game-for-every-console-in-the-market series -.-).

What I really wanted, was backwards compatibility. Not for the PS3, I understand why the capability for PS3 games isn't there (what with the whole shooting themselves on the foot with Cell thing). But why not for PS2? Do you remember the size of the game library for that thing? I gave away mine as a gift when the PS3's still read PS2 games (which in turn broke and I had to get one that didn't), so instead of saving money for a PS4, first and foremost I'll do it for a PS2. Way too many good games sitting on my shelf gathering dust right now.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
thanatos388 said:
While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.
Once the global internet structure can handle it, yes they will. But they are smart enough to know the world's internet is less than perfect.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Sony didn't do nothing, they put in fucking paid online. That's a disadvantage. It could have been just a PS3 but better, but it isn't, it's also got paid online, but people are willing to brush that aside somewhat because in all other respects it's brilliant in comparison to the Xbone trainwreck and somewhat because so far PS+ has been excellent value for money.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
JSW said:
"Microsoft has declared war on the consumer."

They've been at war for the last twenty years. It's nice that the general population is finally starting to notice, but this is SOP for Microsoft: Pump money into a new product until they've driven out the competition, then once the consumers have no choice they squeeze them for all they're worth. Only difference is that they got impatient this time and forgot that Sony's not out of the game yet.
This, this statement a thousand times over It can't be said better, but I will rant anyways.

Game Over Microsoft, you failed with the merger of web and TV one time too many and now your gaming division is going to get Gangrene (Didn't you learn when you burned WebTV to the ground). My advice to Microsoft, cut off the infected limb I mean division of your Company (in this case the whole gaming arm of Microsoft). Go back to cheating your legitimate MS office customers and Leave the Game Consoles to those who are not douche-bags.

In retrospect, Sony is sort of like Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion Lannister is a likable character on Game of Thrones because unlike the rest of his family he isn't a dick. Tyrion is a hero just because he refuse act like the rest of the Lannister Family (and he ***** slaps Joffrey).

So guess what Microsoft, Sony ***** slap you, but unlike Tyrion Sony is no Dwarf, Sony is a Giant.

Also the Xbone is using a bluray drive, who developed and back Bluray? SONY!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
008Zulu said:
thanatos388 said:
Once the global internet structure can handle it, yes they will. But they are smart enough to know the world's internet is less than perfect.
Exactly, plenty of countries, mine included simply don't have unlimited internet at an affordable price for most of the public. All this talk of cloud gaming and such make me wonder how quick my bandwidth would be used up by Xbox One, that's another thing that other countries have to worry about. These are things that someone with internet in other countries have to worry about, there will be problems.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
Sony didn't do nothing, they put in fucking paid online. That's a disadvantage. It could have been just a PS3 but better, but it isn't, it's also got paid online, but people are willing to brush that aside somewhat because in all other respects it's brilliant in comparison to the Xbone trainwreck and somewhat because so far PS+ has been excellent value for money.
A lot of people already have PS+, so it doesn't seem as big a deal, but I agree with the sentiment, they did add paid online play. Then again, I don't know how expensive it is to run the stuff.

zerabp

Aug 30, 2011
I just want to point out another thing that SONY did that is still the same that they could have changed pretty damned quietly with little uproar, region locks. Unlike both of their competitors their system continues being region free. They could have changed this without offending the majority of gamers but even here they chose the right thing for the consumer. Considering their past with consumer rights issues their actions, or rather their inaction, is most certainly laudable. Thanks as always Jim.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
While I don't think Sony deserve as much credit as they are getting in this video I will say this..

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Terrible, isn't it?

To my understanding, M$ decided the best direction to go is to burrow straight through the planet and into the deepest pits of Hell. Sony, meanwhile, has found a position that, while still imperfect, still treats customers with the most respect (I'm still condemning the PS Gold subscription shit they're forcing on the PS4). For people to applaud Sony for literally not doing anything but maintain their position while M$ faceplanted so hard its face is a frying pan, that's a display of how much positivity you can get by doing the right thing, and then STICKING TO IT.