Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
simwaroar5 said:
Okay now I would prefer and Nextbox over a PS4, but I am a PC gamer too. I wouldn't switch to consoles for a Nextbox, but I would get one because I play both my PC and a console. Now as for what makes it special. The family share list that it has allows you to share digital games with up to ten people. If you use Steam like me then you just don't have that option. If your PSN buddies live on the other side of the country it becomes inconvenient. Nextbox also has the primer Motion sensing and voice recognition tech. Now I know you either don't care about, or probably think the Kinect was rubbish. That was a little true last gen, but this up coming one is going to have vastly superior software/hardware for it to the point where it should be able to tell when you are squeezing your hand on the controller. Also for anyone that had a Kinect at the time, hoe cool was it to be able to yell "FUS RO DAH" to use shouts. It has its benefits. I am looking forward to the day it becomes the home Jarvis. though if you don't like it you can turn it off. One feature no one has talked about anywhere, but I read off their website was that the Nextbox will be able to track how you play your games, so when you are offline your friends can create a bot tailored to play just like you, to play with or against. Now I don't mean to come off as a complete dickwad, for supporting the Nextbox, but the way Jim has been railing against it for the past 3 weeks and everyone eating it up has been bugging the hell out of me. He makes a whole bunch of assumption and accusation about how they are trying to screw us over and never talks about the good points of the Nextbox, or any shortcomings the PS4 might have. I just want a fair and balanced argument.
Why do people supporting indefensible positions always post these godawful walls of text? Do you think that if nobody can read your argument nobody can disagree and you "win" by default?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
empirialtank said:
Congratulations Jim you now understand how conservatives feel about most politics. A lack of progress is preferable to getting screwed up the arse.

OT: I really hope that Sony does stay true to the promises they made at E3, if they do i see this being a rather good console generation for them. But the eternal pessimist in me is saying that all good things will come to an end and eventually Sony is going to turn on us. Probably through some terrible all digital distribution system.
So, your comment that actually relates to the topic is what you mark "Off Topic", but the weird political comment isn't?

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Irridium said:
Freaky Constantina!

YEAH YEAH!

[sub]yo motherfucka![/sub]

Oh, and good video, I guess. Could have used more mesh tank-tops, though.

It's also kind of a shame that gaming has gotten to the point where Sony says it won't completely dick people over, and everyone cheers. That's videogames now.
Sony, put on your mesh tanktop!

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
That still makes them a year or two better than Microsoft.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
You know you're right. Its just like how unjustified the hate is for the Xbone right now as, mark my words, after a year or two Microsoft will pull a 180.

Gee sounds kind of stupid when said like that eh?

Anyway good work again Jim. Always fun to watch the delusional Xbone creators have their scrotum used as a punching bag.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Loki_The_Good said:
MichaelMaverick said:
I love how defense for Microsoft has now devolved from justifying there terrible practices to trying to convince everybody that Sony will be just as bad at some fixed date. It's like "hey guys I know candidate A is going to make cutting off hands mandatory but vote for him anyways because even though candidate B is promising free puppies instead I think he'll eventually come on board to beheadings". Well you know what even if that's true (and I think that's more of a wishful assumption or overt cynisism) I'll take the two years of puppies to an immediate beheading any day of the week.
I fail to see how that's defense for Microsoft. I never put trust in any major corporation. Sony, Microsoft, or otherwise. Simple. Some cynicism is healthy. Sony's perfectly capable of doing similar tactics. But I don't think it's in their best interest right now.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
simwaroar5 said:
The family share list that it has allows you to share digital games with up to ten people. If you use Steam like me then you just don't have that option. If your PSN buddies live on the other side of the country it becomes inconvenient.
This is something that needs to be done more on the PC. SC2s spawning pool thing is great, but more games need to adopt an equivalent of that.

Nextbox also has the primer Motion sensing and voice recognition tech. Now I know you either don't care about, or probably think the Kinect was rubbish. That was a little true last gen, but this up coming one is going to have vastly superior software/hardware for it to the point where it should be able to tell when you are squeezing your hand on the controller. Also for anyone that had a Kinect at the time, hoe cool was it to be able to yell "FUS RO DAH" to use shouts. It has its benefits. I am looking forward to the day it becomes the home Jarvis. though if you don't like it you can turn it off.
There is a PC version of the Kinect to, and PC Skyrim was using voice shouts before Xbox Skyrim through mods. Aka: PC can do that. Plus I'm pretty sure someone in another argument bought up that turning the Kinect of turns the Xbox off too, do need to check for citation though.

One feature no one has talked about anywhere, but I read off their website was that the Nextbox will be able to track how you play your games, so when you are offline your friends can create a bot tailored to play just like you, to play with or against.
That'll be up to the developers actually, who'll have to actually code all that stuff. Its just the fact that "the cloud" exists that this is something that could hypothetically happen, and seeing as the PC has had this capability for years and its never been used... I'm doubting they'll do it for the Xbone. Hell, generally these sorts of things are counted as hacking in games, and accounts that do it are banned. Will be interesting to see if more official support makes a difference though.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They didn't do "nothing", they are now holding the multiplayer parts of games hostage like microsoft does with their xbox live "service" too which was, mind you, the only advantage the ps3 had over the 360.
Sony fucked up too but no one cares because microsofts fuckup of biblical proportions makes them look like the second coming of christ.

So you can't really say sony doesn't do its share of chipping away consumer freedom.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Deadcyde said:
MichaelMaverick said:
probably true, but they have been spanked pretty hard in the past for being dick holes. Maybe they've figured out they need to be jerks in small manageable doses instead of huge clusterfucks like the xbone and Diablo 3

wait... diablo 3 is coming to ps4 and it's an always online game right?

fucking son of a *****.
If someone else already answered this I apologize for clogging up your notifications, but the PS4 copy of D3 will not have an online requirement.

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
MichaelMaverick said:
So wait two years and post again. Right now, it's completely irrelevant.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
All this talk of cloud gaming and such make me wonder how quick my bandwidth would be used up by Xbox One, that's another thing that other countries have to worry about. These are things that someone with internet in other countries have to worry about, there will be problems.
Xbone will require, at minimum (it appears), a 1.5mb/s connection. For comparison, my phone has about an 8mb/s (at the best of times, horrible data plan [meh]). I downloaded a 1gb file in about 6 minutes. Cloud gaming could conceivably use 3-4gb per day depending on your usage.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
008Zulu said:
chozo_hybrid said:
All this talk of cloud gaming and such make me wonder how quick my bandwidth would be used up by Xbox One, that's another thing that other countries have to worry about. These are things that someone with internet in other countries have to worry about, there will be problems.
Xbone will require, at minimum (it appears), a 1.5mb/s connection. For comparison, my phone has about an 8mb/s (at the best of times, horrible data plan [meh]). I downloaded a 1gb file in about 6 minutes. Cloud gaming could conceivably use 3-4gb per day depending on your usage.
Questing as i've never hear it vocalized. Is the 1.5mb/s connection required for XBox One a megabit or megabyte connection?

I can tell you now if it's megabyte then Australia is pretty much out for 2 -3 years of ever using this thing, unless one is lucky enough to be in an area that already has fiber connectivity. I could count on one hand the amount of times i've managed to get 1.5mb/second transfer with combined up and down.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
A normal day in the PS4 marketing department:
1. Come to work.
2. Look up what Microsoft is doing.
3. Smile.
4. Go home.
5. Another successful day.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
M$'s Xbone, and it's policies... I couldn't say it better, by kissing the boot of the publishers, M$ had declared the war on (not SONY, not nintendo, not apple, but no) YOU; the consumers... yes, the very people who are actually PAYING FOR EVERY STINKY BREATH COMING OUT FROM THIS CORRUPTED INDUSTRIES ASS-MOUTH...

One thing, I hated as I was young, my mother calls video-games as "DRUGS", I had always refuted it harshly, telling her that it was totally just having fun, like a toy for older people.... simply a hobby, like movie watching... But lately, after the M$ revealing... I wondered... the steps this industry took to "get control over our wallet"... isn't it "like drug"? First, it was free, then, little money, then price go up, then they want us to jump hoops to get more, now they want us to check up daily, and have registry... Even paid, AAA games have strings attached... like Jim said a while ago... You don't OWN the game you spent 60 bux to buy, you get license to run/play it.

I call piracy a lie/myth/conspiracy cooked up by the publishers, it MAY damage the sales, but when a company makes a game, and millions of copies sold, but they still claim it came "short", something is wrong... it's not that people are not buying, it's NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE BUYING to satisfy the company's dream...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
simwaroar5 said:
{theultimateend} said:
Ok I'll bite.

What does the Xbox One provide me that my Gaming PC that does not?
better.
Also for anyone that had a Kinect at the time, hoe cool was it to be able to yell "FUS RO DAH" to use shouts. It has its benefits. I am looking forward to the day it becomes the home Jarvis.
Yeah, ThuuMic was pretty fu...

Kinect?

I thought you were talking about the Mod.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5626/?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
WWmelb said:
Questing as i've never hear it vocalized. Is the 1.5mb/s connection required for XBox One a megabit or megabyte connection?

I can tell you now if it's megabyte then Australia is pretty much out for 2 -3 years of ever using this thing, unless one is lucky enough to be in an area that already has fiber connectivity. I could count on one hand the amount of times i've managed to get 1.5mb/second transfer with combined up and down.
Interesting first question. I would think megabyte due to the data being transmitted. In Australia, you'd likely be fine if you were in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne. Adelaide is a hit and miss affair from what I'm told. I have only gotten the speeds I mentioned because I am right on the edge of the 4G envelope from my nearby airport.

But yeah, most (80-85%) of Microsoft's current consumer base in Australia probably won't be getting the Xbone because of these speeds.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Another great vid with excellent points made Jim. I especially enjoyed your rendition of "Yeah" by Usher.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
008Zulu said:
thanatos388 said:
While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.
Once the global internet structure can handle it, yes they will. But they are smart enough to know the world's internet is less than perfect.
Right like Microsoft. I think if they feel they can push digital distribution they will as much as they can. They just won't be the pricks MS was about it and try to shove it down our mouths ASAP.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
008Zulu said:
WWmelb said:

Interesting first question. I would think megabyte due to the data being transmitted. In Australia, you'd likely be fine if you were in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne. Adelaide is a hit and miss affair from what I'm told. I have only gotten the speeds I mentioned because I am right on the edge of the 4G envelope from my nearby airport.

But yeah, most (80-85%) of Microsoft's current consumer base in Australia probably won't be getting the Xbone because of these speeds.
Living in melbourne, my average speed (combined down/up) is around 1.1mb/s. And that is when downloading from stable servers, soo.. i'd be screwed.

I'm actually disappointed by all this shit around this console, it's the first time some of the exclusives on xbox have actually made me interested in the console, but alas, no project spark for me :( Can't tolerate. Don't want.

captcha: red herring... hrmm oh really...