Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

The Rise of the Tomb Raider news confirmed one thing - this war over exclusivity is going to make the game industry an everso slightly worse thing. Yes, something else to do that, now.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If Jim keeps making these predictions I'm pretty sure every big publisher is going to explode into burning money come year's end.

I find it weird that the only financial point on Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity in this video came in the form of "the previous game sold more on the PS4". Tomb Raider 2013 took seven million sales to become profitable, the Xbox One doesn't even have seven million households with one inside yet. Then again, it's obviously a timed exclusive so oh well.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I do win a little bit when it comes to these "exclusives" I lose any interest in the game and eventually pick it up when the price has fallen or Steam puts the game on sale.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
See, I do wish more companies took the approach Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. Take a game in an odd situation and fund it. You know... actually be a publisher and publish something. Sure, it won't be as big or as glamorous as securing the new Tomb Raider game for a few months, but I'm sure it'd make headlines if someone decided to fund Psychonauts 2...

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well here's my question: If Tomb Raider, or hell, ANY game is sold on preorder as 'exclusive', and then later released for another system, shouldn't Microsoft or Sony(whichever you bought from) refund the difference? If I bought TitanFall on preorder form $80, operating under the idea its an Xbone exclusive, then 6 months later it comes out for Steam at $50, shouldn't I get my $30 'exclusive' service fee back?!

Also Jim, two things: Stop predicting bad things mate! And second, at this point why not just thank yourself for you? Its fairly clear you're approaching godhood. Might as well get that cult started...

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Jim we need you to use your powers for good. Announce EA's dissolving and Visceral coming back as a small-time publisher with Dead Space's rights, and they proudly announce a continuation of the series.

It is your destiny to do this.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
Pretty shitty deal here, reminds me of Bethesda holding back it's PS3 releases for it's Fallout and Elder Scrolls expansions at the behest of Microsoft. At least this'll come out latter on PC, maybe? Then you can hook up a PlayStation controller and pretend you're playing it on that console.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Will you be wanting warm goose fat for that wank sire or should I make some gravy?

OT: Still just enjoying my 3DS over here, you guys and gals are welcome to join me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
On the bright side, Rise of the Tomb Raider being not-so-exclusive does mean that PC and Playstation users get to see if the game is crap or insanely buggy long before they ever spend their $60 on it.

So thanks for that, Microsoft.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Imagine, for a minute, the reaction if any other industry tried this shit. How about the film industry. What if a cinema chain reached out to Marvel and said "if you airbrush Black Widow out of Avengers 2 for everyone else, so that we have the exclusive version of the movie, we'll give you some cash"? That shit would not fly. Or what if DVDs worked that way? "Want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy? Your DVD player better be manufactured by Sony, it won't work on competitors' players!" Or what if auto manufacturers started abusing the adopt-a-highway program and only let people driving their brand of cars drive on "their" roads? Or, what if Apple made a deal with Pizza Hut that says you can only order delivery if you call on an iPhone? Somehow, I don't think that would go over very well.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys, remember when the last Tomb Raider came out for consoles and then it came out for PC, and the PC version was so much better that it had to be brought back to consoles as the 'Definitive Edition'?

Not sure why I'm bringing that up, just popped into my head I guess.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be polishing my 'Glorious PC Gaming Master Race' tower case in anticipation of the inevitable superior version that will be coming.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
That kind of dickery is not really new, isn´t it ?
More than 10 Years ago, Microsoft wrapped their greasy fingers around Halo, that was originaly scheduled for a realease on PC and made it an exclusive title for their first X-Box.