Jimquisition: Scare Tactics

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I'm going to have to partially disagree. While you're right that jump scares have their qualities, especially the fact that you're stressing out in wait for the next one to happen, mere build-up isn't enough. This build up is only effective when the rest of the game mechanics work into that fear and this is not the case for both Dead Space and Doom 3.

Both games not only have an insane amount of not-too-scary enemies that start becoming predictable and repetitive to kill, you yourself are armed to the teeth and able to beat up anything that looks at you funny. After a while, I found myself running through Dead Space because nothing could possibly stop me in my tracks anyway and anything that does make me jump will only temporarily stress me out. That isn't good use of scare tactics.

And there is a clear difference between high levels of fear and stress. What you described in Doom 3 (enemies possibly appearing behind you) and Dead Space (necromorphs jumping out of places) made me stress out about the fact that I could get attacked at any moment, but I wasn't truly scared later on. Only the early sections of both games were able to instill fear, mostly because the game still had a mystery surrounding it (which once again adds to that jump-scare tactic)

What makes jump scare games like Slenderman and Containment breach so incredibly scary isn't just the sheer terror you feel in between the jump scares, it's that combined with the facts that the jump scares are completely random and there is absolutely nothing you can do AFTER the jump scare either. Powerlessness adds immensely to the fear that jump-scare games use.

Dead Space monsters eventually become incredibly easy to predict and the game sometimes even let you know beforehand (Doors shut, lights and sound go off) that they're coming.

I don't have anything against games that use jump-scares, I have something against games that use jump-scares ineffectively.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's not that I dislike jump scares.
It's that horror games tend to over rely on them to the point that it's just not scary any more. When every closet, corner, air vent, ceiling, whatever, springs monsters on you, the unknown and unexpected becomes known and expected.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Eternal Darkness is one of my all-time favourite games, and it used a jump-scare very sparingly (depending on your definition, there might have been just one), but to great effect; just as you're at ease, certain that there are no threats in the main mansion JUMPSCARE! that will put you back on your toes.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
Amnesia for being known for its other tricks does jump scares very well. When you eventually do run into a monster you'll jump. When the environment suddenly changes from tranquil to ominous with a screen shake and a deep roar, etc.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
It's always interesting to be introduced to a new perspective on a subject that I'm always curious about. And Jim definitely made me realize a few things about jump scares. I actually don't hate them as much now. Jim brought up some valid points, and they make plenty of sense.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm I the only one not completely turned off by the Kinectonuats image, a game that uses motion controls for controlling telekinetic abilities sounds like it could be a lot of fun if done right.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The problem I have with jump scares is actually the antcipation or the "winding up". Because most if not all jump scares that are designed to make one jump are painfully obvious in their build up. It manipulates you into anticipating an event and then startles you because you couldn't predict the exact moment it would occur.

It's like a game of hand slap.

Yes, it's effective, but it's still a cheap thrill that doesn't last past the initial shock. You won't be lying awake in your bed at night because of any jump scare.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Okay, why do people forget that Survival Horror is nothing more than an action game with monsters in it? Resident Evil 6 did not betray the franchise's roots. It embraced them and made them bigger. All Resident Evil gives you enough ammo and if you are smart, you will never run out.

Jump Scares are a useful tool to elicit the appropriate fear response, but they are a very strong spice that colors the rest of the experience. Have the right amount and it keeps the tension high. Have too many and it weakens the rest of the experience. Spielberg learned this when he showed Jaws to Test Audiences. He had one jump scare about 45 minutes into the movie and it made the audience scream out loud. His instinct then was to add more jump scares. When he did, the audience did not give him the appropriate response when the shark came around. By then they got used to it.

That's the problem with horror games. They rely on too many jump scares to carry the game through.

Dead Space is not scary. A game can't be scary if you are prepared to deal with the threat. I get that the weapons are ill suited to the job because they are more tools than weapons, but that does not matter. A Sledgehammer is meant to pulverize larger rocks into tiny ones, but that does not mean it won't pound a person into hamburger. The fact that I have a chance, albeit small, removes the horror aspects of it.

Also, a gun that shoots sawblades into the enemy renders the horror elements useless. How can I be scared when I have something that awesome in my arsenal?

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Great episode and I completely agree with you. I think there's room for both kinds of horror, emotional and jump scares. I nearly died at Too Human, Kinectinauts and the Time cover. Pure genius.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
The thing with jump scares is this: to be effective, they need to happen when you least expect it, with no forewarning. Dead Space failed spectacularly at this because every jump scare was preceded by that retarded violin screech, plus the fact that you always knew exactly where the Necromorphs were coming from. The first thing I always did when I went into a room was to check where the vents were, because I knew that as soon as a got to within a pre-decided distance, a Necromorph was going to pop out. Lo, and behold, so it was.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
malestrithe said:
Dead Space is not scary. A game can't be scary if you are prepared to deal with the threat. I get that the weapons are ill suited to the job because they are more tools than weapons, but that does not matter. A Sledgehammer is meant to pulverize larger rocks into tiny ones, but that does not mean it won't pound a person into hamburger. The fact that I have a chance, albeit small, removes the horror aspects of it.

Also, a gun that shoots sawblades into the enemy renders the horror elements useless. How can I be scared when I have something that awesome in my arsenal?
Play the game with melee attacks and kinesis then. But we know you won't, will you? You have to have every bullet you can curb stomp out of a corpse, go out of your way to grab every power node you already know is waiting for you like a good little scavenger.

OT: Thank you for giving Dead Space some cred, Jim. A jump scare doesn't last, but honestly I couldn't care less. The game does an amazing job of establishing its atmosphere and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Deadagent

Sep 14, 2011
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/10/20/vlog-10-19-12-paranormal-activity-4-sinister/
I think this should be posted for more balanced discussion.

Havoc Himself

Dec 21, 2010
So people said Dead Space and Doom 3 were bad games? Who are these people I will hunt them down............... and give them a stern talking to.
Really this episode confuses me though, because there aren't many games that abuse jump scares like horror films do. It seems like if there is someone complaining about jump scares not being scary it's in a film and usually it's because they are predictable. The problem there stems from horror not having the right pacing and in all the games Jim talked about the pacing is pretty much perfect for their jump scares to get you. I just wish that he had mentioned some games that use their jumpiness in the wrong way, because I don't think I've played any. I do see what Jim was saying though, and really I have an issue with the way horror as a genre is treated. No one seems to respect it the way it should be. Public opinion seems to think that scaring people is cheap and shallow, when really it takes just as much thought and planning to be effective. So I don't know, maybe people should just..... not think that? Thank god for Jim.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
DooM 3 is my scariest game ever. In fact, it's the only one I have never completed and I have no problem with ones such as Amnesia or Slender.

Pretty chilly episode too, well done!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i like good jumpsacers, the problem is that many hacks reduce those to going BOO at the most predictable moments and good ones are rare today. like remember the original saw? that had one excellent jumpscare with the closet and the camera flash, simply because you did not expect that to be there, you expected the closet to be empty and mask-guy to be behind camera-guy.
oh and good scarecrow

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ManInRed said:
That example of Pyramid Head appearing wasn't a jump scare, because nothing pop up at you. There was a quiet door sound, some footsteps and when you turned around you saw you were cornered by Pyramid Head. A jump scare isn't that gradual, it hits you so fast you don't has time to process what it is, so often what scares you can be something not at all threatening.
So, you'd say that hearing something enter the room with you but not seeing it, and then turning around to discover that it, a deadly and horrifying creature, is right in your face and has you cornered with little or no way of simply escaping, doesn't qualify as a "jump scare"? Okay then.

OT: Funny video, and I agree. The first Dead Space, at least, tried to do a fair job of building up atmosphere in between each time monsters jumped out at you. I think the issue comes when it's just predictable. You see a vent, and you say "Oh, I bet a monster will jump out of that." Then you're expecting it, and depending on a person's personal mind-set obviously, they could either be dreading it or just bored and waiting for it to happen already. Doom 3, as well. I can remember the last time I picked up that game, I had loaded up my last save and gone no further than three doors when a wheelchair mutant thing was right behind a door that I opened and charged at me. Granted, I was a lot younger then, but still.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Vausch said:
The problem with jump scares isn't that they exist. Every scare tactic has a place and they can work. The problem is when they're so bloody obvious, you're sitting there going "4, 3, 2, 1-"*abloogy woogie woo!*
Yeah, wasn't that the issue with F.3.A.R. 3 or whatever it's called? Brightly lit cover-based shooter corridors, then you turn a corner and the lights dim and my brain goes--"Get ready for a surprise!" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKpEvUShtY#t=1m29s] I don't know if it gets better later, I just got bored of that first level.

Alan Wake too. Could have been creepy and atmospheric, but every time the bad guys show up the score swells and the camera zooms in on them.
Most of my experience there comes from films, honestly I don't know of that many horror games beyond the big franchises (Silent Hill, Dead Space, Eternal Darkness, Amnesia etc.)

One prime example to list is Drag me to Hell. Some of the jump scares at in that one started to just blend together because they were happening so rapidly one after another. Began to make me question if Sam Raimi's talents had gone wayside.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Whats the game that plays at the begining of the episode? The one with the man in the gas mask.