Jimquisition: SOPA Approved

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?
A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.
OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.
Spain already adopted a similar bill. How long before others follow suit? Plus losing their biggest market is going to make many websites change. Many will even collapse. It won't kill the entire internet but it is going to impact all other countries.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Fusioncode9 said:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.
He'll still sign it. But he will also put in a little footnote that he does so with a heavy heart and that we can count on the fact that his administration wont personally destroy the internet...yet.
I want Jim to live but I don't want to give him mouth to mouth.
Am I a bad person?

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Dylan Greer said:
What was the song at the end, WANT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo_Z9BF7ao&feature=related

The Deadly Premonition soundtrack. An extremely oddball, niche, crazy game that happens to have extremely good music.

And I can't mention that soundtrack without posting this infamous, but incredible tune- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Fusioncode9 said:
It depresses me that the internet will be destroyed if SOPA passes. Hopefully Obama keeps his promise and vetos the bill.
It can pass even if vetoed. Checks and balances are a go.

Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.
Fair use hasn't stopped companies from claiming copyright and banning people from using their material.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Well the only thing I can say is.
{Insert clever Star Trek reference involving 'Dammit Jim' here}

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I thought he would have made a serious point against SOPA. Again, you know, after his video on this exact subject.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:
One question on this whole thing. How does it affect sites etc outside of the US. I.e not a .com that US authorities think they own, wherever hosted, but .co.uk 's etc. I feel very sorry for people in the US if this is approved. I also understand that there will be an initial effect since most web content comes from the US. But if say Jim moves him, his show and it's hosting back to his native UK (from the accent), won't the show be back to normal?

If the US gov wants to turn the US into the Internet version of North Korean, then fine. I just don't see where 'this will kill the whole Internet' comes from. There are other countries in the world out there you know, where this legislation will not reach. Escapistmagazine.co.uk, youtube.co.uk FTW?
A lot of the audience from sites like the Escapist are American. If Americans can't enter these sites, they lose a lot of money and may have to shut down, even if they're not based in the US.
OK, so the US as a consumer market gets lost. I understand it is the biggest market. I just am not seeing the 'this will kill the whole internet'. That statement is a bit US centric, to me.
You should read this saying.

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
sindremaster said:
ph0b0s123 said:

I see what you're saying, I do doubt this will kill the whole internet, far from it. But it's still an idiotic idea, I believe on his last video I said something about China? It's like something of fiction this LaLiLuLeLo thing, how any sane people could think it was a good idea I don't know...

Edit: I'd like to add to this that alot of internet content I like is based in the US, even though I'm not myself from the US, nor do I live there, nor have I ever paid a visit there; not just entertainment like this or the rather good playthrough of pokemon black/white I enjoyed today on Hellfirecomms because I had nothing better to do, but even things like FAQ's and fansites offering information on games, or walkthroughs, or trophchievement guides, could theoretically be gone because of this act. Not to be rude or deliberately offensive but realistically if you think because you arent american this wont affect you you're almost as stupid as the people who would vote it into law.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
That was terrible... which clearly was the point.

Hope to god this thing doesn't get approved..

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jim Sterling said:
SOPA Approved

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could change the Internet forever if enforced. Having been written in such broad and vague terms, giving corporations maximum power to black out websites, a chilling effect could be seen, as the Internet's content creators become too afraid to risk anything, lest they lose everything.
This week's Jimquisition is speculative fiction, showing a future Jim Sterling who is bound to toil under SOPA's oppressive rule. It's all very conceptual and clever, I think you'll agree.

Watch Video
D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.
Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Spud of Doom said:
inb4 UK becomes the new centre of the internet because the USA shafts itself with this law.
We just don't have the room for the servers man! D:
We could dump them all in the outback down under though? :3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've always thought "This will shut ME down" is a poor argument against SOPA. The average voter tends to be selfish and motivated by how it will affect THEM. That's why those Republican scare messages work so well.

chiefohara said:
Thank god for the Jimquisition
I'm sorry, but you're now a felon.

erttheking said:
DUDE, CHANGE THE TITLE! Jesus, nearly gave me a fucking heart attack.
How the Hell are people jumping to this conclusion that it means SOPA has been approved? This would have been HUGE news well before Jim put anything up.

Kopikatsu said:
Anyway, anyone mind pointing out where SOPA ends Fair Use? 'Cause...it doesn't.
It doesn't, but with no right to actually appeal the claims against you, many people won't dare take the chance. Jim actually hints at this in saying that it's too risky, not that it's illegal to mention trademarked material.

Look, the MPAA and RIAA already have a habit of getting trigger-happy with threats and lawsuits. The DMCA already scares Youtube so much they'll pull stuff that the plaintiff doesn't have a right to complain about, just to be safe. The DMCA doesn't stop fair use, either, but look at what it's done.

Hell, I've mentioned it before: I've got legal warnings for sharing my own music online before. Songs written, performed and recorded by me or me and co-conspirators.

Fair use is already kinda on the ropes.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jim Sterling said:
SOPA Approved

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could change the Internet forever if enforced. Having been written in such broad and vague terms, giving corporations maximum power to black out websites, a chilling effect could be seen, as the Internet's content creators become too afraid to risk anything, lest they lose everything.
This week's Jimquisition is speculative fiction, showing a future Jim Sterling who is bound to toil under SOPA's oppressive rule. It's all very conceptual and clever, I think you'll agree.

Watch Video
D:

JIM!

YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE ThE CHAINSWORD FROM THE TITLE SCREEN!

REMOVE IT BEFORE THE ESC-

The Escapist has been removed due to copyright infringement under the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Be calm and move on.
Keep calm and carry on, y'know, if you're British.
The poster of this comment has been sent to a prison boat under the National Defense Authorization Act for breaking the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Maybe go talk about Beatoven, his work isn't under copyright.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I was going to say that Jim made the best pro-SOPA argument I've seen. Namely a drunk, rambling Jim having to actually go... OUTSIDE! *gasp* Though the ending made it less good. I guess now we know why Jim never goes outside. Also, I'd like to say that's a very pleasent-looking home.

As for the Lost bit, I thought you were going to bring up the references to it in Arkham City. Though that may be because I just beat that game last night.

Overall, funny if somewhat dull video there.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
OH MY GOD, THE DEADLY PREMONITION MUSIC!!!!!.......I'm pretty sure that's copyrighted music Jim....Run, Run before it's too late!

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
And now you all know the definition of the term "chilling effect." The one that SOPA and PROTECT IP will cause will be the free speech equivalent of an ice age.