Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Best Looking Game of This Generation

The Jimquisition takes a break from discussing consumer shenanigans to focus a little on the games themselves.

Watch Video

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
My guess was going to be VVVVVV, but then, this generation of console, etc...V6 does use its visual style to be highly distinctive and supplementery to the gameplay. Wouldn't have gone to VP, mostly because the satam cartoon of it hurt my brain.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Those hands, what are they? I want to say Alien hands knowing you, but I'm not sure it looks rather rubbery.

OT: I do agree with you. One of the biggest problems I find with games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, is the graininess of the game on a big HDTV while Viva Piñata looks smooth and easy on the eyes. I don't know maybe the graininess is just for me or something, it bugs the crap out of me either way.

Great episode!

EDIT: Also thanks for the XII mention I bloody loved that game, I mean who couldn't like Adam West in a video game?!

Blue Baby

Oct 9, 2010
Personally I think the overall estethics of a game are way more important than the number of polygons used: I agree that a good art-style can help a game age better.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Why do people think I am in some sort of arms race with Extra Credits?

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Hm... i go with Mirrors Edge. It worked with blinding whites and bright neon colours to get a, excuse me, fucking sexy visual design. It's a shame the gameplay was a bit lackluster so there probably won't be a sequel.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Uhh, I don't really like cel-shading, because everything just looks lifeless and fake, similar to the environments in Borderlands. The characters and enemies look dandy, but the environments are the same brown/grey you bashed in this video. Also, how could you forget Beyond Good and Evil? That game is the poster child of game aesthetics, and it still kicks ass almost a decade after it's release.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
trollpwner said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
They are intellectuals speaking on the gaming industry. So are you. Comparison is natural and inevitable, whether you like it or not. Ditto for Yahtzee.
Comparison, sure, but this idea that I'm in some sort of race with them makes no sense. You do realize this topic has no deadline, right? It's not like I entered into some Phineas Fogg style wager with Extra Credits to see who could do a graphics episode first. You're acting like I'm "late" to a discussion as if there was a sell-by date on it, which is relatively demented.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Best looking is a meh idea.

Aesthetics, however, is where it's at and that's why I love it.

That's always been the problem with "Realistic" games, they start to drop off INCREDIBLY fast as technology starts to make leaps and bounds so it WILL look like DOOM one when the newer series comes out.

Also, Viva Pinata. The only game Rooster Teeth had to make a freaking spread sheet about.

Jimothy Sterling said:

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.
That's like asking why Fanboys are idiots. No one really knows, they just are.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
This is why it irks me to see so many 2D side-scrollers going with 3D polygon graphics which tend to be unflattering on them in my opinion, when they've been able to make gorgeous looking 2D artwork since at least the 90's.

Also, I feel a sudden urge to replay Wind Waker.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
For similar reasons that people think console wars are somehow productive or worthwhile, I would guess. Some folks are just incapable of accepting different things without trying to make one better/worse than the other.

Besides, pertaining to this particular complaint (ie: being "late"), EC has a bit of a head-start on the Jimquisition, so it's to be expected that they'll have covered more topics than Jim will have had time to approach yet. Even if the shows had started at the same time it would be a nonsensical argument, but the fact that they didn't should make it that much more obviously silly.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
You're acting like I'm "late" to a discussion as if there was a sell-by date on it, which is relatively demented.
Your point about stupid people is irrelevant on the internet.
Also,YES,finally someone said this: games with bold aesthetic visual styles,which are feasts for the eyes will always look better than half thhe mainstream games this generation.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I generally agree, but I don't think it's impossible for a game that sets out to create a 'realistic' environment to stand the test of time. You mentioned Halo, and I think so far that game has actually aged pretty well, certainly better than some games from four or five years later. Also, I'm pretty sure that I will never stop being awestruck by just how damn pretty Venice and Florence look in Assassin's Creed 2, no matter how old it gets, and that's a game whos actual graphical quality wasn't actually anything special when it came out. Good, but not exceptional, and it still never fails to make my jaw drop the views look so good. Mind you, it's kinda impossible to make Renaissance Italy not look pretty.