Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
trollpwner said:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

See that? Season 2, episode 16. Over 50 weeks ago. 50 weeks! Almost a year. Ab-surd. *sigh* Oh well. Guess the actual content wasn't bad though. Even if extra credits did do it better.

EDIT: look at this! Yahtzee managed this in 2009 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6372-The-Conduit

Not saying Jim's point isn't relevant, but this really is leaving it late.
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why do people think I am in some sort of arms race with Extra Credits?

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.
Well, lets look at it this way. For, (at the very very least), the past few years we have had many game journalists talk about this issue, but it is still a problem.

This would indicate that it warrants revisiting to keep it fresh in the minds of the public.
Just because something was discussed before, that doesn't mean we can't talk about it later if it is still relevant, and it ultimately just means that each time we do talk about issues like this we come closer to a solution.
Exactly that. What the Hell does "leaving it late" even mean? Where was this deadline I missed? When did this subject become irrelevant? It's a pretty evergreen topic and it's beyond silly to say it's "late" when we're not talking about a current affairs issue.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
getoffmycloud said:
Couldn't agree more Jim I think its a shame that the viva pinata games were never that successful
Viva Pinata had few squeals and a kids TV show on 4kids(BTW it was a great show)

so it did well but it doesn't get talked about much because its a kids game and not its not COD or BF3.
Well it only got 1 proper sequel wasn't the other one a collection of party games or something?

I wouldn't really say it's a kids game it is like pokemon simple on the surface but quite complicated once you get into it.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Hm... i go with Mirrors Edge. It worked with blinding whites and bright neon colours to get a, excuse me, fucking sexy visual design. It's a shame the gameplay was a bit lackluster so there probably won't be a sequel.
I'm gonna back you up on this one. Combines awesome pretty realistic graphics, as well as a really cool aesthetic.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.
People have to make everything into a war. Can consoles co-exist? Sure, but people can't deal with that. They have to compete!

Now you must climb into a pit with EC and battle it out.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Not a mention of Witcher 2 on the PC , that game has a lot of nice colours and looks awesome without going the uber colourfull cartoon effect... more realistic without going brown, and colourfull without looking like a cartoon ( not that cartoony games are bad, but you dont need to be a cartoon to have colour ).

... Dead Island is also pretty colourfull as well, and doesnt look bad.
I suppose if all you compared was CoD or BF3 with Pinata ( which I cant play , no 360 ) then Pinata does look more interesting.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
what was the game with the purple/blue ninja in this episode? I remember playing it when I was younger but can't for the life of me remember what it was called!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Jimothy Sterling said:
Imp Emissary said:
trollpwner said:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

See that? Season 2, episode 16. Over 50 weeks ago. 50 weeks! Almost a year. Ab-surd. *sigh* Oh well. Guess the actual content wasn't bad though. Even if extra credits did do it better.

EDIT: look at this! Yahtzee managed this in 2009 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6372-The-Conduit

Not saying Jim's point isn't relevant, but this really is leaving it late.
Jimothy Sterling said:

Well, lets look at it this way. For, (at the very very least), the past few years we have had many game journalists talk about this issue, but it is still a problem.

This would indicate that it warrants revisiting to keep it fresh in the minds of the public.
Just because something was discussed before, that doesn't mean we can't talk about it later if it is still relevant, and it ultimately just means that each time we do talk about issues like this we come closer to a solution.
Exactly that. What the Hell does "leaving it late" even mean? Where was this deadline I missed? When did this subject become irrelevant? It's a pretty evergreen topic and it's beyond silly to say it's "late" when we're not talking about a current affairs issue.
Well, there is one thing that may cause a negative reaction. When a topic has been talked about for a while, one could believe that everything that could be said about it has, and talking about it again will just be going over the same information again. However, I don't think that's the problem here. Even if you just restate information that has already been shared, it doesn't mean you shouldn't talk about, as long as it still has relevance it is worth reminding the public about it, and I believe the issue of games not being very colorful is still important enough to keep people talking about it.

One could also say that some other issues of the day are more important or less talked about, and should be talked about first.
However, that is pretty much determined by a persons on opinion, so really you will always get some people mad at the choice of topics, but ones that have been talked about for a longer period of time have a disadvantage because of this believe.

But hey. Like you say "Get Angry!". If people complain about you talking about this problem, more people will hear about it, and maybe one of those people will fix it. Or not. We'll see.

Captcha: hit the hay

>_> Now we play the waiting game.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
How the hell can you have played dark souls and still think what you just said isn't utter complete bullshit?
This game uses color the right way. It has amazing designs.
Everything just falls in place, supports the theme of the game and is actually pretty damn colorful if you just cared to look.

Just having every color of the fucking rainbow on-screen at max saturation is a shitty criteria for what "looks good".

As for "standing the test of time", 3d graphics have obviously grown out of the headache inducing phase. The game has changed man.
Just because old "realistic" games don't hold up today doesn't mean todays "realistic" games won't for the simple fact that we're beyond a resolution of 320x240 now.

This was a bad episode and you should feel bad.

Big Paja

May 14, 2011
And Journey... and Okami...

Journey almost looks cel-shaded but it isn't. The sand and the sun are gorgeous.

Okami looks like a watercolour painting and that simply cannot look dated even a million years from now.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
sorry jim, your wrong, Bastion was the best looking game of this generation.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think that Child of Eden will still look pretty damn awesome years from now considering how that game used colors.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Bulletstorm.... It has tons of bloody colour. The sunsets are gorgeous.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Too bad Viva Pinata sucked and it doesn't support 1920x1080 on the PC version. I will agree that it is a pretty game that does look great in HD. You can't play Wind Waker in HD unless you emulate it and I am not sure it's ok to admit to that on this site.

I am guessing though that it looks great in HD.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Does he mean graphics as in "aesthetics"? Or graphics as in the fine details. Also, Viva Pinata DOES look very good.