Jimquisition: The Wacky Harassment Blame Parade

Apr 24, 2008
chiefohara said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
chiefohara said:
Pathetic.

The fact that people are trying to justify this harassment is also pathetic.

Gaming culture is pathetic. The fact that there STILL needs to be a discussion on why this bullshit is tolerated and rationalised away is WHY gaming culture is pathetic.

For the tin foil hats turning logic on its head saying this is a PR stunt, why? what the hell does it matter? This is contemptible behaviour regardless of how it started. Nothing justify's this sickness.

I love gaming, i love talking about games, but this ... if defending or excusing this shit in any way is part of what constitutes the culture of a gamer then I'm not a gamer and never will be.
Or you could just play games with people you like and stop pretending that we're somehow tight-knit.
Nah, I'd rather have an opinion, and hold people who behave contemptibly in contempt.
That sounds like a lot of unnecessary effort on your part. Unless "holding them in contempt" consists solely of occasionally dropping a forum post denouncing the antics of some anonymous internet users who likely want your attention and scorn anyway.

A better way to deal with attention seekers might be needed.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
chiefohara said:
chiefohara said:
Pathetic.

Gaming culture is pathetic. The fact that there STILL needs to be a discussion on why this bullshit is tolerated and rationalised away is WHY gaming culture is pathetic.

For the tin foil hats turning logic on its head saying this is a PR stunt, why? what the hell does it matter? This is contemptible behaviour regardless of how it started. Nothing justify's this sickness.

I love gaming, i love talking about games, but this ... if defending or excusing this shit in any way is part of what constitutes the culture of a gamer then I'm not a gamer and never will be.
Or you could just play games with people you like and stop pretending that we're somehow tight-knit.
Nah, I'd rather have an opinion, and hold people who behave contemptibly in contempt.
That sounds like a lot of unnecessary effort on your part. Unless "holding them in contempt" consists solely of occasionally dropping a forum post denouncing the antics of some anonymous internet users who likely want your attention and scorn anyway.

You should watch Jim's video again, i think you missed its meaning.

Also contribution to discourse and holding pathetic behaviour in contempt is never a wasted effort.

odinzeus

Mar 16, 2013
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Wacky Harassment Blame Parade

A bunch of game enthusiasts harass a woman online. Everybody starts blaming people. The victim, mostly. That, and alien creatures who are totally not real gamers.

Watch Video
Hi. What has happened to her seems absolutely awful. However, there are a number of quietist gamers that are not at all interested in politics in or through gaming (except maybe laughing at the latest big flare up and how moronic a side is) or joining in to defend one side or the other. That is not a sickening craven position, that is just a section of gamers uninterested in the latest bloody argument. Some of us don't care very much (we have games to play, jobs, other interests) and we are backing neither side. Why? Because being truly informed on what is going on is a number of hours researching both sides.

Who has the bloody time?

The answer is you Jim, you and other gaming journalists. Not everyone has your time in the medium and the latest debates. Thanks for the video, no thanks for calling gamers cowards that don't get involved in this latest issue.
Stop making sense.Stop enjoying games and focus on the this "big political issue".
The worst part,I don't think that Jim really care about this big issue.He is just milking it for ads money.
40 % of his episodes are about that.
Shame,because he have some fun ones.

Apr 24, 2008
chiefohara said:
chiefohara said:
chiefohara said:
Pathetic.

Also contribution to discourse and holding pathetic behaviour in contempt is never a wasted effort.
I got the meaning just fine, it's not like there's much to interpret. Like with many video-arguments it's at it's best when it's stating the obvious and at it's worst when it's reaching or making attempts to grab at your emotions.

Preaching to the choir isn't really discourse either.

Uh, God... I'm being so negative. And on Christmas day!

I'm out. Merry Christmas.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
chiefohara said:
chiefohara said:
chiefohara said:
Pathetic.

I got the meaning just fine, it's not like there's much to interpret. Like with many video-arguments it's at it's best when it's stating the obvious and at it's worst when it's reaching or making attempts to grab at your emotions.

Preaching to the choir isn't really discourse either.

Uh, God... I'm being so negative. And on Christmas day!

I'm out. Merry Christmas.
Happy Christmas to you too.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
The stuff from wizardchan wasn't harrassment, that was them, on their own page, talking to their own circle of like minded. It wasn't directed at her, it wasn't brought to her, she apparently searched it (despite it being a chan page that 404's after a while) then cried foul. Then ???? then suddenly she gets phonecalls.

The worst part is you guys assume these wizardchan types are responsible. Have you been to their site? 80 percent of them are so introverted it hurts to read. Not the sort that do this, that even have the personality requirements to do this sort of thing. IN fact they would actively avoid the attention this has garnered as they'd like to be left alone.

But hey, because it's a man only site and has chan at the end.. lets assume they're the 12 year olds from /b/ trying to ruin some womans life for the lols, I mean it's not like anyone would research them when it's so easy to consider it a given.

So you take them out of the picture and what do you get? Some dev crying foul over nothing. And what if some overzealous channer sees this and so comes to the defense of them in some retarded way?

That's the one thing your "research" didn't take into account. I went to the chan and read it. It's not /b/, not even close. In fact none of them even knows whos responsible for this and a large protion are wishing it would go away because they don't want the attention.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Goddamnit videogames community why are we not past this bullshit yet? Do we have to purge 4chan or something to make any sort of headway against wankery?

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
4chan was attacked a few days ago, dunno if it's back up yet..

otherwise, stop assuming because they're a chan that they're anything like 4chan. Wizard means over 30 male virgin. They don't go to that site to celebrate their "wizard" status.. they go to mourn it. They honestly seem like they want to be left alone.

So I put it to you gamer community.

What's their motivation? They gain unwanted attention from this, and on the other hand; Zoe gains publicity for her game.

They're the perfect scapegoats and most of you fell for it. Rather then coming to the defense of your ilk, you're all so willing to believe we are the bad guys because we've been told over and over again that we're the bad guys in pop culture. It's so easy to believe social givens ratehr then search for the truth. No wonder people still watch fox news.

Kururu999

Mar 14, 2011
erttheking said:
Every time he puts a video like this up, some people act like he's saying he's accusing all gamers everywhere of being sexist...I have no idea where this idea comes from.
Perhaps it comes from him unironically using phrases such as "collective responsibility" and "gamer culture". I know it's a bit of a stretch, but there it is.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
A good video Jim.

To those who don't want to hear or read about harrassment - don't. But don't tell others to stop talking about it. You don't want to be a part of this conversation, the door is right there and the sign on it reads "Don't click on this". No one is making you read this, no one is making you listen to this.

But it's not about that is it? Some people don't want to be reminded that this goes on. Even the merest hint that this awfulness exists makes some people feel uncomfortable and they would rather wish that they didn't have to feel uncomfortable. It's like looking at a bad news story and complaining "Ugh - why do we have to have this on the news?"

Switch it off or pay it no attention if that's what they want. They can go and pretend that the world is just and fair (it isn't). But don't tell everyone else to not talk about it or discuss it or try to find ways to combat it.

And to those who say "Nothing can be done" - well, you can think that. The rest of us are going to try to do something about it. Again, if it seems like a waste of time to you, by all means, sit this fight out, as is your right. But some of us want to talk about it and fight the issues as is our right.

nenja

Nov 26, 2013
Dear Jim,
I'm sorry but this is a really poor example of female harassment by the gamers community that you have chosen to focus on. As a female gamer this is obviously a topic that?s a matter of not only interest but something that I have been on the receiving end of and this example of Zoe as I said is not a very relevant one to base your points upon.

As far as I have researched and read on this whole case it basically comes down to a matter of "he said she said" in which there is no real evidence for whether it was real harassment or if it was faked for publicity. Also the fact that this harassment came from sites like wizardchan gives less credibility to any of it because that is not a good representation of how the 'gaming community' acts and it's kind of impossible/pointless to expect anyone to be able to stand up to chans. Also every gamer I know (male and female) knows to IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE the chans. Everyone knows that if you read/post on a chan (especially about something like depression) they are going to "an hero" you. So it's not like those sites JUST harass her they just harass everybody because that is pretty much where 'trolling' was invented.

I know this story is something quite visible so Jim has jumped on the proverbial band wagon but as a female gamer this isn't a very realistic example of harassment by the gaming community based on gender.
I myself have often been the target of verbal abuse for my gender in many of the multi-player online games I play such as CSS, Dota and more recently LoL. IF I LET IT this 'harassment' could totally ruin a day of gaming for me or make me depressed but why listen to these few individuals that don't know me and obviously get their jollies by needing to make someone else upset? Most of the time these people are a small select group of 12 year old mentalities who are just getting enjoyment by getting a rise out of me because they are so bored or sad in themselves and so they have to put me down. The majority of gamers are quite courteous to me and mostly don't care about my gender one way or the other so long as I am decent at what ever game I?m playing.

Jim's point that other gamers should stick up against this kind of idiocy is a nice thought but to be honest I'm no princess peach needing Mario to come save the day for me. I can stick up for myself, so can other females and we do. The best thing (in my opinion) that we can do is ignore them, not let them get a rise out of us and eventually they will get bored and get over their immaturity. I don't expect a guy to stick up for me nor do I specifically need or want that, I just want to be treated with respect as I afford other gamers. In fact in the past when my guy friends have tried to stick up for me the 'attackers' just turn on the guys with comments like "oh you just want in her pants" or "you poor virgin sticking up for your girlfriend" etc. So this 'sticking up' for the "poor girl being harassed" never really seems to help and sometimes just escalates it. I've had insults from "get back in the kitchen" to "you should go die and leave gaming to the boys" but you know what? I let it go, I don't let it ruin my life or my enjoyment of games because for every 1 gamer like that there are so many more that are friendly and respectful.

Merry Christmas,
Nen

Dedwrekka

Sep 7, 2013
Church185 said:
While I agree that it is terrible these women are being harassed for simply being born the wrong gender, I can't agree with the rest of this video. I'll verbally support the developer till I'm blue in the face, but I'm not going to throw money at a project simply because the creator was harassed by trolls and crazy people. Stuff like that could be too easily staged. That isn't a point made in the video, it is just something I wanted to bring up. I also don't see anything wrong with simply denouncing the people harassing these women and moving on either. Just because I don't take the time to police the internet, doesn't mean that I'm contributing to this behavior or that I condone it. These devs don't deserve to be harassed, but you paint the gaming community with a wide brush that I don't appreciate.

Church185 said:
While I agree that it is terrible these women are being harassed for simply being born the wrong gender
Stop.

Anything past this point in a post is going to be bad.

dammit

You did it. You went with the comma and an implied "but"

You can't brush aside the harassment, strike at an abstract point, and not expect to come off as in the wrong. It's the hidden "I'm not sexist, but" that will sink you every time.
Also, yes. Finding out about this kind of behavior and not doing anything about it is contributing to the problem. The fact that people see it and don't say anything is contributing to the problem. Having good intentions and not acting on them is less effective than farting in the wind at solving the problem.

As an addendum. People saying this doesn't exist or isn't as bad as people are making it out to be are lying to themselves.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
danon said:
What are we getting angry about this week. People harassing other people on the internet. Well then good luck making that go away. I'm sure this discussion will be the breaking point that will make it all better.
Heh, I like you.

The idea that it takes a brave individual to stand up and illicit change for any reason, let alone the moral high ground seems facile thinking. I agree about the idea of personal accountability and responsibility, but to change things takes more than that, especially when it's meant to be change for the better. That women are harassed is not a new thing to video games, but racism has been a larger issue for a longer time, this is just the same problems lumped on, dare I say, a more sympathetic demographic. Has racism in the video game community improved? That's a rhetorical question, as a black man I know better, personally. Countering this will take a hell of a lot more than stepping in, and in all honesty "white knight" types have diminished the cause of equality more than they've helped, foremost by weakening credibility to the contrary of the harassing party.

What we'd really need is organization, another notoriously weaker aspect of the gaming community. Defending everyone with a vagina against everyone with a penis because vagina vs penis is in all honesty just as bad. In fact I'd argue that blanket assertions of culpability are just as bad, because it not only further widens the divide on either side of this issue, regardless of gender, but it sets and uncomfortable and impractical precedent; if you're not absolutely with us you are certainly against us.

Hell, in the most base sense I'd point out that if you want better of others you must lead by example or risk appearing a hypocrite. Generalizing those who do not step in as being as bad or as responsible for the harassment as those that harass others isn't exactly a notch above generalizing people because of say... gender. I'm not saying "don't do anything about it", I'm just against this ham-handed, frankly ugly approach to the problem. If you won't rise above it, why should they?

odinzeus

Mar 16, 2013
Deadcyde said:
The stuff from wizardchan wasn't harrassment, that was them, on their own page, talking to their own circle of like minded. It wasn't directed at her, it wasn't brought to her, she apparently searched it (despite it being a chan page that 404's after a while) then cried foul. Then ???? then suddenly she gets phonecalls.

The worst part is you guys assume these wizardchan types are responsible. Have you been to their site? 80 percent of them are so introverted it hurts to read. Not the sort that do this, that even have the personality requirements to do this sort of thing. IN fact they would actively avoid the attention this has garnered as they'd like to be left alone.

But hey, because it's a man only site and has chan at the end.. lets assume they're the 12 year olds from /b/ trying to ruin some womans life for the lols, I mean it's not like anyone would research them when it's so easy to consider it a given.

So you take them out of the picture and what do you get? Some dev crying foul over nothing. And what if some overzealous channer sees this and so comes to the defense of them in some retarded way?

That's the one thing your "research" didn't take into account. I went to the chan and read it. It's not /b/, not even close. In fact none of them even knows whos responsible for this and a large protion are wishing it would go away because they don't want the attention.
I also check the site.You are absolutely right.The guys there even have suicide-help hotline number listed on the forum(suicide > gaming problems for me).
Too bad no one will read your post or even check wizardchan for facts.Everyone will just post their ramblings.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
You're assuming that gamers don't do anything. If that we're true we wouldn't have this "BAD CHAN!" crusade and everyone whiteknighting (defending wizardchan = instaban on neogaf, jim making a video, blog rage) without actually checking the validity of the accusations. This entire episode is feeding on attention, so if no one cared there would have been no reaction.

So in conclusion this is realy everyone clip clopping around on their high horse. Who cares to check the facts?

odinzeus

Mar 16, 2013
No one wants true or facts.The "defenders" just want to look good,smart and superior.They don't even care about the supposed victims.
Damn it,now I'm sad.So much picking on suicide people for a lie and some money from greenlight on Steam.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
nenja said:
I myself have often been the target of verbal abuse for my gender in many of the multi-player online games I play such as CSS, Dota and more recently LoL.
Sorry, this is more of a curiosity but how could you receive verbal abuse for your gender on two of those games since Dota and LoL don't have voice options? I doubt very much you make a habit of stating your gender through chat so just wondering how it's possible?

Though honestly I'm not sure how one can possible be harassed in LoL by ANY real means given the SO LOVED tab and click ignore feature... man I love that bloody option lol

PS: Wait, does Dota 2 have voice chat? Just realised that could be what you mean by Dota and I logged on but never played Dota 2

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
odinzeus said:
Deadcyde said:

I also check the site.You are absolutely right.The guys there even have suicide-help hotline number listed on the forum(suicide > gaming problems for me).
Too bad no one will read your post or even check wizardchan for facts.Everyone will just post their ramblings.
If people from Wizardchan did ANY of that, its not okay. It just changes from punishment to getting these people help which to be honest some of them probably need.

Still doesn't make the horrid behavior acceptable. Though I'm still in a position where comes down to a he said, she said kind of deal.

EDIT: By "any of that" I mean the accusations of death threats over the phone, and the harassment.