Jimquisition: The Wacky Harassment Blame Parade

odinzeus

Mar 16, 2013
th3dark3rsh33p said:
If people from Wizardchan did ANY of that, its not okay. It just changes from punishment to getting these people help which to be honest some of them probably need.

Still doesn't make the horrid behavior acceptable. Though I'm still in a position where comes down to a he said, she said kind of deal.
Some guy from that site criticize the game,because it was not depressing enough and he knows better,because he suffer from major depressive disorder.That's all.
You can guess the rest or even check the site and ask them.

nenja

Nov 26, 2013
Ryan Minns said:
nenja said:
I myself have often been the target of verbal abuse for my gender in many of the multi-player online games I play such as CSS, Dota and more recently LoL.
Sorry, this is more of a curiosity but how could you receive verbal abuse for your gender on two of those games since Dota and LoL don't have voice options? I doubt very much you make a habit of stating your gender through chat so just wondering how it's possible?

Though honestly I'm not sure how one can possible be harassed in LoL by ANY real means given the SO LOVED tab and click ignore feature... man I love that bloody option lol

PS: Wait, does Dota 2 have voice chat? Just realised that could be what you mean by Dota and I logged on but never played Dota 2
Sorry yes I should have edited the verbal out of that as the verbal was mostly just on CSS and a little on dota 2 but certainly written abuse on all 3 games and they are only a few examples. Dota 2 does have voice chat but I used to get written abuse on original dota and yes I LOVE the mute option on the games but I don't automatically mute everyone and so the hurtful comments come before I do mute them though there are days when I will just automatically mute everyone. I don't hide the fact that I'm a girl and my gamer name since I was 14 has been 'missfreaky'/'missnen' so maybe its my fault for advertising that I'm a girl? But I think not.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I have clue WTF Jim was trying to get at in this video. It seemed to be aimed at nobody in particular, but then a lot of his videos are like that I guess. Ranting at something that some crazy person/people said/did online, and venting his steam at an audience who is 90% nothing like who is supposedly venting at. But apparently disassociating ourselves from crazies is...contributing to the problem somehow? So are we supposed to share the blame? WTF? I don't even know any more.

What a confused mess of a JimQuisition episode.

leviadragon99 said:
Goddamnit videogames community why are we not past this bullshit yet? Do we have to purge 4chan or something to make any sort of headway against wankery?
Purging 4chan will simply result in five more 4chan-like sites popping up. What I mean is that this is the power of the internet, it has it's positives and negatives. A large part of gamer culture simply happens to exist on the internet, and so here we are.

Anyone who gets harrassed (female or not) needs to learn to deal with it, because absolutely nothing can be done about random online anon's flinging mean words at you. If they're getting harrasssed locally, then call the police and take it from there. Nothing more can be done, accept that fact.

Or if you're Jim, make a video about it.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
nenja said:
Sorry yes I should have edited the verbal out of that as the verbal was mostly just on CSS and a little on dota 2 but certainly written abuse on all 3 games and they are only a few examples. Dota 2 does have voice chat but I used to get written abuse on original dota and yes I LOVE the mute option on the games but I don't automatically mute everyone and so the hurtful comments come before I do mute them though there are days when I will just automatically mute everyone. I don't hide the fact that I'm a girl and my gamer name since I was 14 has been 'missfreaky'/'missnen' so maybe its my fault for advertising that I'm a girl? But I think not.
Ah the Miss thing would explain how they'd know. That was what I meant since it was strange to me they'd abuse you for a gender a less specific name wouldn't show. Nothing wrong with your name I just assumed it was more genderless if that makes sense?

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Lightknight said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I'm sure the trolls are delighted that their exploits continually get given attention by internet journalists and celebrities. It's surely far greater validation than anything any one faceless user could possibly offer.
It would be interesting to see their usernames and pertinent information included in such a piece. I wonder how trolls that view themselves as righteous in their trolling would view trolling these trolls right back? Not that I condone such eye for an eye nonsense. I'm merely wondering what would happen if anything. Would they, in turn, be harrassed and shamed for their actions when anonymity is broken? Seems like the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory would be applicable when taking away that one component that seems to make everyone an ass. The anonymity or lack of fear of consequence.
Counter-trolling never works. I tried it once, and the threat turned into a shitpit of racial slurs and astoundingly poor grammar.

Trolls are like pot holes; annoying, ugly, but ultimately harmless and easy to avoid.

BelindaClock

Dec 25, 2013
EDIT: I added some more quote to make thing less ambiguous.

I'm just gonna leave this quote from Winston Rowntree here, because it's relevant to the subject (replace sexism with harassment):

"Very little makes me more pissed off than gender prejudice, but what do I ever do about it? Pretty much I just assume I?m not part of the problem, so enjoy your hive of scum and villainy, everyone, I live on a higher plane. And here you have by far the worst response to sexism: nothing. The response of choice of we who love avoiding confrontation (and comment section shitstorms). And so transgendered people continue to be disproportionately persecuted because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and women continue to get chased off Twitter because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and rape victims continue to not be taken seriously because not enough people are goddamn ensuring a supportive environment. The ability of the Internet to make it seem like there are more assholes than there really are is allowing such bullshit to run wild, and the people who do speak up get hung out to dry by the silence of others. Not enough of us are making it clear that this is the world of the majority and not the vast minority fringe group of idiots, and so the one shithorn talking in the theater ruins the movie for the other 76 people who are afraid to speak up. Peer pressure is what drives humanity. Why aren't there any women/men in certain industries? Because the absence of women/men there keeps the others away. But we can harness peer pressure for good, too, and remind sexists that they are alone in the room -- especially online, because a tidy neighborhood discourages crime, and this is a neighborhood that needs a lot of fixing up."

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
BelindaClock said:
I'm just gonna leave this quote from Winston Rowntree here, because it's relevant to the subject (replace sexism with harrasment):

"Very little makes me more pissed off than gender prejudice, but what do I ever do about it? Pretty much I just assume I?m not part of the problem, so enjoy your hive of scum and villainy, everyone, I live on a higher plane. And here you have by far the worst response to sexism: nothing. The response of choice of we who love avoiding confrontation (and comment section shitstorms). And so transgendered people continue to be disproportionately persecuted because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and women continue to get chased off Twitter because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and rape victims continue to not be taken seriously because not enough people are goddamn ensuring a supportive environment."
Who in this world doesn't take rape victims seriously? That alone to me discredits just about the entire quote.

BelindaClock

Dec 25, 2013
th3dark3rsh33p said:
BelindaClock said:
I'm just gonna leave this quote from Winston Rowntree here, because it's relevant to the subject (replace sexism with harrasment):

"Very little makes me more pissed off than gender prejudice, but what do I ever do about it? Pretty much I just assume I?m not part of the problem, so enjoy your hive of scum and villainy, everyone, I live on a higher plane. And here you have by far the worst response to sexism: nothing. The response of choice of we who love avoiding confrontation (and comment section shitstorms). And so transgendered people continue to be disproportionately persecuted because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and women continue to get chased off Twitter because not enough people are ensuring a supportive environment, and rape victims continue to not be taken seriously because not enough people are goddamn ensuring a supportive environment."
Who in this world doesn't take rape victims seriously? That alone to me discredits just about the entire quote.
I should have edited that to say male rape victims (here's a link: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men). My mistake.

BelindaClock

Dec 25, 2013
At this risk of spamming, here's some more quote (once again, replace sexists with harassers):

"The ability of the Internet to make it seem like there are more assholes than there really are is allowing such bullshit to run wild, and the people who do speak up get a tidy neighborhood discourages crime [http://skepchick.org/2013/08/atheism-sexism-and-harassment-the-price-of-speaking-up], and this is a neighborhood that needs a lot of fixing up."

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
BelindaClock said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
BelindaClock said:

I should have edited that to say male rape victims (here's a link: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men). My mistake.
Well, that can be true. However, he's still wrong comparing internet communities and irl communities. Anonymity changes just about everything in terms of human interaction. It's also not helped by the ease of liked minded individuals getting in contact with each other over the internet. He addresses us like a single community, which is entirely false. We're a bunch of communities with some similar interest in games. Within smaller groups this behavior is rarely allowed, but there is nothing you can do when someone doesn't care about your smaller group, because he's got his own group that doesn't care.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
nenja said:
Dear Jim,
I'm sorry but this is a really poor example of female harassment by the gamers community that you have chosen to focus on. As a female gamer this is obviously a topic that?s a matter of not only interest but something that I have been on the receiving end of and this example of Zoe as I said is not a very relevant one to base your points upon.

As far as I have researched and read on this whole case it basically comes down to a matter of "he said she said" in which there is no real evidence for whether it was real harassment or if it was faked for publicity. Also the fact that this harassment came from sites like wizardchan gives less credibility to any of it because that is not a good representation of how the 'gaming community' acts and it's kind of impossible/pointless to expect anyone to be able to stand up to chans. Also every gamer I know (male and female) knows to IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE the chans. Everyone knows that if you read/post on a chan (especially about something like depression) they are going to "an hero" you. So it's not like those sites JUST harass her they just harass everybody because that is pretty much where 'trolling' was invented.

I know this story is something quite visible so Jim has jumped on the proverbial band wagon but as a female gamer this isn't a very realistic example of harassment by the gaming community based on gender.
I myself have often been the target of verbal abuse for my gender in many of the multi-player online games I play such as CSS, Dota and more recently LoL. IF I LET IT this 'harassment' could totally ruin a day of gaming for me or make me depressed but why listen to these few individuals that don't know me and obviously get their jollies by needing to make someone else upset? Most of the time these people are a small select group of 12 year old mentalities who are just getting enjoyment by getting a rise out of me because they are so bored or sad in themselves and so they have to put me down. The majority of gamers are quite courteous to me and mostly don't care about my gender one way or the other so long as I am decent at what ever game I?m playing.

Jim's point that other gamers should stick up against this kind of idiocy is a nice thought but to be honest I'm no princess peach needing Mario to come save the day for me. I can stick up for myself, so can other females and we do. The best thing (in my opinion) that we can do is ignore them, not let them get a rise out of us and eventually they will get bored and get over their immaturity. I don't expect a guy to stick up for me nor do I specifically need or want that, I just want to be treated with respect as I afford other gamers. In fact in the past when my guy friends have tried to stick up for me the 'attackers' just turn on the guys with comments like "oh you just want in her pants" or "you poor virgin sticking up for your girlfriend" etc. So this 'sticking up' for the "poor girl being harassed" never really seems to help and sometimes just escalates it. I've had insults from "get back in the kitchen" to "you should go die and leave gaming to the boys" but you know what? I let it go, I don't let it ruin my life or my enjoyment of games because for every 1 gamer like that there are so many more that are friendly and respectful.

Merry Christmas,
Nen
Can I just say a-fucking-men to this post. This is the reality of the situation, not the overly dramatic call-to-arms that Jim's asking for in pursuit of views and ad-revenue. I've been gaming online for 13 years and in that time I've seen every kind of scumbag and every kind of saint. If a girl is being harassed online it's almost always to do with the game itself and it's completely equal to the kind of insults guys direct at other guys. If we wrap every girl in bubble-wrap and proclaim that it's wrong to ever call them out online than we are being just as sexist and misogynistic as the assholes that target girls just for being girls.

If you think you're being targeted by trolls, block them, mute them, leave the page, etc. Do what you have to do to get away from it. Confronting that shit only fuels these people, as many, many others on this thread have attested to.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Magenera said:
Ignore and report the trolls, it's not a hard concept. Don't expect people to join in a shit flinging contest every time it pops up. Don't expect people to also give a shit about every shit flinging contest that pops up, report the trolls, and ignore them. They'll either be removed, or they'll leave, if you can't do that shit, then tough tits.

Gilhelmi said:
"The sword on my hip weeps at the thought of having to be drawn again. My sword is only drawn in defense, it knows this, but she does not like to fight. I know her pain, for I do not like to fight either. Oh Lord, when will you come? Your children are ragged and tired. But as before, so shall we again, persevere these days. Why do wicked people do evil? Why do the good ones stay silent? Oh Lord, give us strength to overcome these trials and birthing pains."

*An Anonymous Soldier*
I want to say something eloquent, I want to say something meaningful that would change peoples hearts and minds. But all I can think of is one simple question.

WHY?

I honestly do not understand any of this in the least. Be kind to others, Treat your neighbor with respect and love, act online as you would if you were face-to-face.

I liked the anonymity of the Internet, but I think that it is time to let that go.
Why? So we can be fucked with by trolls in real life. We already have several avenues on the internet that removes anonymity and shit still continues like this, only this time they get access to personal info. Or do people forget the existence of all those social networks sites.
My fear is that if we ignore the trolls (especially when they have access to sensitive information) is that some day a crazy person, who might be written off as just a troll, is going to commit a bigger crime. I see the possibility of things escalating.

I studied early Civil Rights history (in America), I am starting to see similarities between these trolls and the major hate groups. First came the loud obnoxiousness, then came the vandalizing (where police were ignoring the issue, mostly, some even joined in), then came the lynchings, then came the riots, then came the public outcry and silence was no longer a viable option.

I can not turn my back to the trolls, for I legitimately fear, that they will attack me. Silence is the Rape victims worse enemy, living in fear constantly destroys a persons mind. At this stage we are fortunate, if we prosecute the ones making threats, we can head off further destruction.

I will not live in fear, I will fight with any lawful means possible.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
odinzeus said:
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Wacky Harassment Blame Parade

A bunch of game enthusiasts harass a woman online. Everybody starts blaming people. The victim, mostly. That, and alien creatures who are totally not real gamers.

Watch Video
Hi. What has happened to her seems absolutely awful. However, there are a number of quietist gamers that are not at all interested in politics in or through gaming (except maybe laughing at the latest big flare up and how moronic a side is) or joining in to defend one side or the other. That is not a sickening craven position, that is just a section of gamers uninterested in the latest bloody argument. Some of us don't care very much (we have games to play, jobs, other interests) and we are backing neither side. Why? Because being truly informed on what is going on is a number of hours researching both sides.

Who has the bloody time?

The answer is you Jim, you and other gaming journalists. Not everyone has your time in the medium and the latest debates. Thanks for the video, no thanks for calling gamers cowards that don't get involved in this latest issue.
Stop making sense.Stop enjoying games and focus on the this "big political issue".
The worst part,I don't think that Jim really care about this big issue.He is just milking it for ads money.
40 % of his episodes are about that.
Shame,because he have some fun ones.
Milk milk. Milking on the farm of ads.

Trying to get people into a cause by trying to make them feel inadequate and immoral. Oldest trick in the book.

Mahemium

Apr 18, 2013
I feel that this topic, whilst valid, is never properly addressed. Yes, women are treated poorly within the industry and by the gaming community as whole, of that there is no doubt, however, for all the videos, for all the discussion, there's never analysis as to why this is the case. Sure it's easy to say "There's a large demographic of jaded male misogynist/gynophobic gamers who demean and harass women within, or commenting on, the industry. It needs to stop". But I think there needs to be a question as to "Why are there so many jaded male misogynist/gynophobic gamers to begin with"? I believe these issues, that are becoming all the more common, are but a symptom of deep rooted problems that are never addressed or even acknowledged.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
nenja said:
Dear Jim,
I'm sorry but this is a really poor example of female harassment by the gamers community that you have chosen to focus on. As a female gamer this is obviously a topic that?s a matter of not only interest but something that I have been on the receiving end of and this example of Zoe as I said is not a very relevant one to base your points upon.

As far as I have researched and read on this whole case it basically comes down to a matter of "he said she said" in which there is no real evidence for whether it was real harassment or if it was faked for publicity. Also the fact that this harassment came from sites like wizardchan gives less credibility to any of it because that is not a good representation of how the 'gaming community' acts and it's kind of impossible/pointless to expect anyone to be able to stand up to chans. Also every gamer I know (male and female) knows to IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE the chans. Everyone knows that if you read/post on a chan (especially about something like depression) they are going to "an hero" you. So it's not like those sites JUST harass her they just harass everybody because that is pretty much where 'trolling' was invented.

I know this story is something quite visible so Jim has jumped on the proverbial band wagon but as a female gamer this isn't a very realistic example of harassment by the gaming community based on gender.
I myself have often been the target of verbal abuse for my gender in many of the multi-player online games I play such as CSS, Dota and more recently LoL. IF I LET IT this 'harassment' could totally ruin a day of gaming for me or make me depressed but why listen to these few individuals that don't know me and obviously get their jollies by needing to make someone else upset? Most of the time these people are a small select group of 12 year old mentalities who are just getting enjoyment by getting a rise out of me because they are so bored or sad in themselves and so they have to put me down. The majority of gamers are quite courteous to me and mostly don't care about my gender one way or the other so long as I am decent at what ever game I?m playing.

Jim's point that other gamers should stick up against this kind of idiocy is a nice thought but to be honest I'm no princess peach needing Mario to come save the day for me. I can stick up for myself, so can other females and we do. The best thing (in my opinion) that we can do is ignore them, not let them get a rise out of us and eventually they will get bored and get over their immaturity. I don't expect a guy to stick up for me nor do I specifically need or want that, I just want to be treated with respect as I afford other gamers. In fact in the past when my guy friends have tried to stick up for me the 'attackers' just turn on the guys with comments like "oh you just want in her pants" or "you poor virgin sticking up for your girlfriend" etc. So this 'sticking up' for the "poor girl being harassed" never really seems to help and sometimes just escalates it. I've had insults from "get back in the kitchen" to "you should go die and leave gaming to the boys" but you know what? I let it go, I don't let it ruin my life or my enjoyment of games because for every 1 gamer like that there are so many more that are friendly and respectful.

Merry Christmas,
Nen
I don't know if everything written here is truth but never the less this is just about the best post here. Only sad thing is that nobody will cover this and paste it all over the media since it won't bring clicks and visits unlike cries of professional victims.

Enjoy your games and report trolls. Peace out!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Oooooh...

Gamers are like Feminists now? A giant hive-mind where each and every individual is wholly responsible for any and all statements and opinions of anyone also identifying with the same group?

Well, rest assured, from this moment on I will start sending out positive thoughts of inclusiveness, respect and tolerance to the hive.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yuuki said:
I have clue WTF Jim was trying to get at in this video. It seemed to be aimed at nobody in particular, but then a lot of his videos are like that I guess. Ranting at something that some crazy person/people said/did online, and venting his steam at an audience who is 90% nothing like who is supposedly venting at. But apparently disassociating ourselves from crazies is...contributing to the problem somehow? So are we supposed to share the blame? WTF? I don't even know any more.

What a confused mess of a JimQuisition episode.

leviadragon99 said:
Goddamnit videogames community why are we not past this bullshit yet? Do we have to purge 4chan or something to make any sort of headway against wankery?
Purging 4chan will simply result in five more 4chan-like sites popping up. What I mean is that this is the power of the internet, it has it's positives and negatives. A large part of gamer culture simply happens to exist on the internet, and so here we are.

Anyone who gets harrassed (female or not) needs to learn to deal with it, because absolutely nothing can be done about random online anon's flinging mean words at you. If they're getting harrasssed locally, then call the police and take it from there. Nothing more can be done, accept that fact.

Or if you're Jim, make a video about it.
Let's back up a second and remove gender from the Equation, Jim also did a video about Phil Fish leaving videogames for being relentlessly trolled on his ultimately irrelevant opinions like he was Roger Goddamn Egbert or something, this isn't an issue solely about women, (although they do seem to frequently cop the worst of it for no other reason than their gender) nor is the backlash against this kind of bullshit only happening when women are targeted, this is an issue with cowardly asshats hiding behind the anonymity of the internet as they project their impotent rage and lack of self worth onto others. Trying to make the anti-dickhead movement Jim is in favour of about protecting one gender over the other is not that far away from the same kind of blame-redirection bullshit Jim is right to call out.

End of the day, no-one should have to put up with this bullshit, it may be difficult to fight but it's not impossible, it just requires a commitment to not turning a blind eye, nor accepting it as the status quo, it means finding new ways to change ingrained attitudes and to effectively (somehow) exclude from the internet people that are determined to eternally be raging cockholes, even if the fight were essentially futile, then it'd still be worth having, is real world crime not worth dealing with because there's always going to be people willing to commit it? Abandoning the internet as a cesspool of horrible people is a self-fulfilling prophecy, just because you think it's an insurmountable problem, don't expect everyone else to stand aside.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Bruce said:
Deadcyde said:
From what I can tell after extensive research. It goes like this. (the order is as close as i can find and i take no responsibility for it being wrong)

Dev posts game.
wizardchan peeps ***** about game on wizardchan (it was mostly because of disagreements with whether the dev would actually understand the subject matter of depression, having a successful job and relationship and social life)
Dev finds wizardchan posts somehow
Complains that she's being harassed
takes down game
puts game back up after tirades about how just because she's female doesn't mean she can't game dev (as some of the posts were misogynistic, read: 2 out of the hundred or so, the idea is the harrassment, if you could call it that, is because she's a woman.)
tweeters hear cry of harrassment, run with story, slathering term 4chan about
channers (the source is unknown) take offense at this, obtain devs details apparrently call dev masturbating
Dev reports this
media runs with this because gamers hating devs is in vogue and feminists seem to be very vocal these days
Here is the much more likely sequence of events.
Dev posts game with plans to release it for free on Greenlight.
wizardchan peeps ***** about game on wizardchan.
Some wizardchan peeps decide to take it a step further, and start harassment campaign on her Greenlight page.
One gets ahold of her contact details, posts it on wizardchan.
Dev notices she is getting seriously unpleasant shit heading her way out of nowhere, and wonders what the hell is going on.
Dev Googles, discovers wizardchan.
Dev eventually, worn down, takes down game.
Months pass, Dev puts game back up on Greenlight figuring the campaign will have run its course.
Wizardchan starts up again.
Dev goes to press, shows screenshots, press writes about it.
The usually suspect try to make out as though Dev is at fault for all of this, using logic that would make Kent Hovind blush.
How is that more likely? Seems more like, this is more in line with what you want to believe about the situation and less about trying to figure out exactly what happened.
It fits the reported facts better, given that there was no reportage of this before December from when the game was first taken down, it doesn't assume anything not in evidence and Wizardchan is quite frankly an obscure forum. It is not like 4Chan, which everybody knows about.

The Dev in question would need a reason to find Wizardchan in the first place, something the first series of events doesn't supply. At all.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Geez, how embarassing, stuff like that is still going on?
And I'm certainly not going to harass or defend people because I somehow agree or disagree with the way they lead their life or anything, because I try not to judge people, but sometimes I really wonder what people gain from such behaviour.
It can't be money or fame, so I guess they're just always angry?

SquidSponge

Apr 29, 2013
All of this about being held accountable for other people's actions? What a gargantuan pile of dismbodied elephant bollocks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit]. There are few people (in gaming communities at large, doubly so on the Escapist) who would condone/tolerate the sort of behaviour you report in your video, but the fact is that if there was actually anything people could do about it, then people would bloody well be doing it. Unfortunately, there is very little [http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bugger_all] one can do against an anonymous avatar, nor is it your responsibility [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante] to do so, because everyone knows [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10012382/Boston-bomb-Reddit-apologises-for-identifying-wrong-suspects.html] how well that always works out [http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1344982/trial-by-social-media-police-criticise-response-to-mardi-gras-excessive-force-video/] every time guaranteed [http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/29/digital-vigilantism-think-before-pictures-of-wrongdoing-online]. Most societies appoint figures to cut out shit like this harassment. In this case, the moderators are responsible for the site, and the police are responsible for the rest. The fact is it's very difficult to prosecute for the phone calls, but that is a failure in the law, not the people who happen to be passing by at the time.

Seriously, "don't feed the trolls" is an internet mantra for a damn good reason. If you reprimand someone for sexist BS, then someone ignorant enough to have posted it in the first place is unlikely to be swayed into becoming a better person by your calling them out, so you've wasted your time. And if they are, indeed, a troll - then you've shoved down their gullet a not-insubstantial quantity of the attention they crave so they'll find a new target - rinse & repeat - so you'll actually have been counter-productive (and wasted your time). The best only thing you can do in the short term is report it and move on. And don't get me wrong, I think you should report that shit any and every time you see it, but unless you're a mod (or law enforcement officer) you should subsequently stand aside.

So by all means lobby for an overhaul in the law regarding "IRL" harassment (also feel free to harangue the forum or wherever for more moderation I guess), but stop flinging poo at everyone who has the gall to be present. You talk of "the gaming community" as if it's a hive mind or something - worse still, that it's one single community [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Spurious?s=t]. And I'm glad you brought up the topic of "fracturing [http://writingishard.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/logical-fallacy-friday-the-false-dilemma/] the [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_us_or_against_us] community [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma]" there, Jim - I'd say you've done a sterling [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun] job of bringing us all together.

As for the argument about people "covering [sexism/harassment in VG communities] up", that's something I don't really recall ever having seen (smells a bit like straw to me [http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html]). To be perfectly honest, I only see this sexism/harassment stuff when someone goes out of their way to inform me of it, ~95% via the Escapist forums, but at least I have seen that, even if I am beginning to tire of the "social justice warrior" routine that seems to be almost the entirety of the Escapist these days. Fortunately, Zero Punctuation seems to be holding out (for now).

I've disagreed with some of your points before, Mr. Sterling, but this is the first time I've seen a video that seems so utterly specious that I cannot help but lose some respect for you. Son, I am disappoint. I hope you step your game back up soon, 'cause I enjoy your videos in the most part.