Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Weird is Not Enough

Another Jimquisition? I bet you can't believe your luck. This week, you have the honor of learning how to avoid the trap that many "weird" games fall into.

Watch Video

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
I'm still not quite sure what I think about this...

The humour at the start feels forced. It seems like he's trying too hard whenever he's on screen. The voiceover parts of this episode were good though. He raises interesting points that are worth listening to, then he appears on screen again and it goes back to being annoying.

As I said, still not sure. I'll wait out the growing pains of a new series

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I like this one. Made some very good points about 'arty' games (I may also have to get a PS2 again now just so I can try out Killer 7).

I also liked: "Well I've never fucked a pair of pliers but I know that that's bad!"

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I like this one. Made some very good points about 'arty' games (I may also have to get a PS2 again now just so I can try out Killer 7).

I also liked: "Well I've never fucked a pair of pliers but I know that that's bad!"
My words exactly.

I honestly see some integration to the Escapist public going on here, I'm curious to see where this might go from here.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
I've tried watching this show several times, I... just don't care for it. It sounds canned and really forced.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I think the sarcasm worked better this time, more tongue in cheek, and he had some very good points about immersion being critical, especially in weird games. I might actually be coming around to this.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Valid points, but I can't see a developer watching this and taking the points on board due to how it is presented. Yahztees extreme level of criticism works because we don't see him and so it doesn't seem so personal when he insults people.

Anyway, interesting episode and I agree that weirdness for weirdness sake doesn't work when it comes to gaming.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
I didn't like the first one, meh on the next two, but this one was great! So far its a nice upward trend. I'll keep watching :)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Reasonable points. The criticism that a game that isn't fun is not a good game is always welcome. Personally though, I never tried to play the games that are simply weird for weirdness' sake because that is a stupid idea.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ghost Monkey would renew my faith in Television...especially the Orangufang episodes who could easily become more popular a villain than The Joker.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
This is also a prevalent issue in films, in a way; they get so caught up in their own eccentricity they forget what it was they set out to actually say. Think crap like 'Juno' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'. Weirdness is a means towards an end, not an end unto itself.

These are getting steadily better, by the way, and Mr. Sterling's abrasive personality is actually bearable at this point. I still object to much of what he's said in the past, but I will judge these on their own merits from now on.

postblitz

May 5, 2009
my advice to jim is to apply the lesson from this particular video onto himself.

make your weirdness more welcoming and engaging for viewers on the escapist and you may actually work things out.

but i really don't want to know what that lipstick midget joke meant

cya

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
I like the direction that this is going. Kinda started out serious, then slowly turned into a mockery of serious game shows. I like it.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Good Episode, but he didn't talk about Katamari Damacy? Why not? That's the best weird game where have more fun then anyone else!!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Best one so far.

There are so many games that relate loosely to this topic from games that have characters doing cooler stuff in cutscenes, than in gameplay to games that are based around a gimmick like madworld's monotone or Kane and Lynch 2's shaky home video presentation...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, at least he finally has something to SAY on a topic, and makes a few interesting points that haven't already been covered more in-depth by James Portnow.

Unfortunately, all of it is broken up and interrupted by his insufferable "humor," which mainly consists of trying way too hard to hype his "persona," which just doesn't work, at all. This guy needs to take some basic lessons in how to do comedy.

But as I said, at least he has something to say this time.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Note to self:Keep lipstick away from Jim.

Wait, I don't have any lipstick.

This one seemed pretty good in that weird, damn this is creepier than some of the worst of ZP kind of way.

btenkink

May 28, 2009
Still Hit-and-Miss, but a lot more Hit than Miss compared to his previous shows.

Keep Evolving Jim! I'll keep watching.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I liked this one a lot more than his other episodes.
Also, it seems to me that bad weird games are like hipsters.
Just a thought.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.

Olofelefant

Feb 18, 2011
WHile the thread could evolve further still, I think he fills a niche in this website, as he has a different attitude than both experienced points and the big picture, and if nothing else, he has troll-esque feel, which I enjoy.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Good episode, I don't usually post when I like something, but since Jim seems to be taking 'fan' feedback to heart, I'll make an exception since the guy probably need a bit of praise after the roasting he's been getting.

But it was funny, it had no crappy MS drawing (or not enough for me to notice in any case), you actually made good points, the topic - while not a hot button topic - was an interesting one and hadn't been talked to death. Than again, other people may jump on this now that game are 'legally' art and more studio might go for artsy games that forget to be fun.

Do keep making fun of yourself - your persona of a douchebag is still here, but the fact that you are the butt of many of your jokes helps make you come off as a lot friendlier than the first few shows.

TBH, I kinda wish I could forget the 3 other episodes and have this one has a first impression - this looks like a promising show now. I don't know how long it will take for me to look forward to the Jimquisition rather than click on it and be like 'Well... I got nothing else to do' - but if you keep going in this direction, it certainly will happen.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
kuth said:
Good Episode, but he didn't talk about Katamari Damacy? Why not? That's the best weird game where have more fun then anyone else!!
True, but he was pointing out games with weirdness that the player is often left out of for the most part. Still, I'm glad he brought up Deadly Premonition. That has to be one of the most bonkers games I've played in years.

------------

Keep it up, Jim. The show's getting more fun every week.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I think he might be making fun of game reviewers. It's not entirely clear, but he might be targeting people like Yahtzee who talk about games as if they know more about making them than the actual developers.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Yahtzee and he usually does have better ideas than they developers, but that's besides the point.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
It's even worse than the previous one. Well, there are "jokes" and Jim's attitude seems like something to attrack the internet trolls, the whole point is summed by the title - there's no point watching it after readin the title :/
I watched it in hope for improvment, but I guess I won't bother with the next one.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Okay, you've got my attention: a joke actually made me laugh (Jim gazing at the pliers) and the overall show had a point worth examining and spent the majority of its time actually doing so. A promising development.

Jerre138

Oct 6, 2010
I somewhat preferred the Jimquisition on Destructoid. But I still enjoy it, although the humour does come across as being forced sometimes.

Probably funnier than I am though, so I'll just fuck off now.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Dear The Escapist; I did not click "Play" on the video. There is no reason for the icon for this episode to be shown in my "Recently Watched Videos" bar next to badges and online friends. Please fix this.

No wonder there are "outrageous" view counts... You count a video view as "the page being open", not "THE VIDEO IS ACTUALLY PLAYING". How silly of you..

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Liked this episode. And since I also really liked the last episode, this show has earn a place among those I watch regular. Keep up the good work.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
this is really getting awesome now. plus deadly premonition has been all up in my brain lately...i think its a sign...plus i saw D.P. in my coffee this morning that obviously means deadly premontion right?...ill google it!

EDIT

DONT GOOGLE IT 0_0

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
I really disliked his first set of episodes. His humor seemed forced and he was trying to hard in my opinion. He does have some interesting things to say but it was masked and forced out by all the penis drawings.

I don't have an issue with vulgarity but Jim seemed to be doing it for its own sake which I do have a problem with.

However, I did actually enjoy this episode. He had a good roll and I enjoyed his voice-overs to the game animation. If his episodes become more of this and less on how it was I might actually start looking forward to his episodes.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Definitely getting better. I really wasn't feeling the first couple of episodes, but I've liked the last two quite a bit.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Well, it's the best one he's had on The Escapist by far; but as others have said, a lot of it is still forced. Particularly his closing this time around. Good enough though that I'll check out next weeks episode.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I certainly my first touch of the Jimquisition. Honestly, it made me a tad uncomfortable and I wanted to notify the police. (joke)

At first I didn't like the series. Seemed too arbitrarily aggressive and, subconsciously perhaps, I felt like Jim Sterling was just doing what Yahtzee does, only at a podium instead of behind humorous images on a yellow background. But I watched this episode, and liked it. He brought up some good points, and I was genuinely interested.

Although, it was lacking in the bitterness department. :D

All in all, I enjoyed this one, and I hope for a good future in the series.

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
This is the problem I have with performance art. Which is something these games might be attempting. They are always about the creator and the audience is only supposed to comment on the brilliance of the artist.
Keep up the good work Jim. I really like the "propaganda master" set and the audio is vastly improved.

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
I didn't really enjoy it that much but its the first episode that I have managed to get to the end of, so thats a plus.

AC Drawings

Dec 22, 2010
This was a good episode, better than the previous ones, though I like the Jimquisition episodes on Youtube/Destructoid a lot more.

Orangufang was brilliant, by the was.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
I liked it, except for the whole screwdriver bit. Took a while to get back into the flow after that one.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
That was actually a pretty good episode. Jim definitely seems to be improving and finding his "voice"/"schtick" so to speak. I also think Jim is getting funnier in these too.

He also does have a point about the whole "weird games" thing. Interaction is key in the medium and only giving the player a modicum of interaction does not seem to be a good thing.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
This show is getting more entertaining with each episode. I've gone from not impressed at all (first episode) to actually enjoying this one.
Keep up the good work!

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
I'm reading some of the comments and the past comments for his other videos. Apparently people can't tell when he is and isn't joking :p .

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Flow needs some work, but it's not like I have anything better to watch on Mondays and I've got a soft spot in my heart for anybody willing to stand up and piss on pretentious shitty art-games.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
o_O....Jim, you are a sick man!!!
: ) And I love it! Ha! The humor reminds me of Yahtzee's a little.

Nesutaa

Nov 9, 2009
Ok, I know its suppose to be his gag and all, but I can't get over how much of a tosser this guy is. He made some good points in this video, I'll admit, but listening to him reminds me of that kid from high school that tried way too hard to be cool and fit in.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
I was skeptical at the start.. but Jim,,, I approve and whole-heartaly encourage you!! Rant to your desires, and solve each gaming problem of the day!
(then again, at least we're getting to games that aren't just dirt brown shooters.. Yey!!)

Elidibus

Apr 15, 2011
I have to admit that I enjoyed this video. I laughed at the funny parts and the voice over parts were very well done. Also, he made a lot of good points about some of those artsy games being presumption to the point of not letting us actually play the game, which is why we were there in the first place.

Definitely going to check back on this series from time to time :)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Well i must say the last two have been better than the first two.
I'm not sure it will be the kind of thing i watch over and over for the kicks, but i'll probably watch the newest episode weekly.
Also side note: Is top 5 not getting updated any more? I really liked it.

Toonstriker

Aug 22, 2010
THIS is The Jimquisition?!
What the hell have I been watching...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyuaxxzF5Uc

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
If yahtzee is Charlie Brooker, then Jim is Clarkson. Same arragonce, same questionable humor but I have to admit, I do love an episode of top gear and any quiz show with Clarkson is imediately better. Also, some very valid points here and some good critisim. Keep this up, and I'll be sold on the show.

Captcha, Dintions then three words which are impossible to read and susposedly wjn. This system can go die.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
First: I would totally watch Ghost Monkey.
Second: Glad to see someone call out "The Path". Now he just needs to make a statement on those artsy "OMG SOOOO DEEP AND MEANINGFUL" games...
Third: Glad to see the improvement is continuing. I still prefered the work on Youtube and Descuctoid, but this one was about as good as them in terms of topic.
Fourth: Yay! Some love for Killer 7!

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I think he's got a good point here, although personally I thought The Path was fun. Although I'm the sort of person who spent months exploring every nook and cranny of Azeroth instead of actually levelling up my Forsaken mage at all, so I guess wandering around a virtual forest appeals to me.

Groundchuck

Apr 16, 2011
I stated on a comment thread to another one of his video that i did not care for Jim much, but the escapist probably would not have put up a video it did not think had some merit, the last 2 weeks have made me a fan, I figured the escapist was on to something, and now i see what. GG

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Still not a fan of Sterling for being quite the blowhard, but this time he at least brings up good points. A comparison he should of made is between Noby Noby Boy and Katamari. There is equally insane shit going on from the NPCs in Katamari, but you still take the limelight and have the most absurd aspect going on. Add in the fact that when you ball anyone up they react to it somehow for added hilarity. (Especially the street punks, funniest noise in the game)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jim you're not likeable enough to be that smug.

Other than that and the masturbation joke this was a good episode.

Sunder845

PC Exclusive
Sep 9, 2009
I would say that Jimquisition would be better suited in the form of an article or podcast.

Ima842

Jan 8, 2011
What is the song at the start of the video, that's the only reason I watch it.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
This wasn't as bad as the others. Showing gameplay footage and bringing props in helped to alleviate some of the talking head syndrome that has been plaguing this show since its first episode.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
I agree with some of the threads here, very good point made about arty games. Interactivity is the moral of the story with game development, it can be different but it should at least be playable, dare I say fun.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Allright. Now I'm sold. Very funny this week, Jim. Keep up the evolution and you'll be an awesome dragon-looking thing in no time!

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
Well, the show still seems a bit forced, but is definitely improving in both the humor and clarity of the message. Felt this sent a good message. Though honestly the ego jokes just fall completely flat for me.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
dls182 said:

The humour at the start feels forced. It seems like he's trying too hard whenever he's on screen. The voiceover parts of this episode were good though. He raises interesting points that are worth listening to, then he appears on screen again and it goes back to being annoying.

exactly what I was thinking... although I like the hole thank God for me part...

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
Most times i watch this i walk away disappointed but I want to give this a chance. The review segments are becoming more polished but the "to Camera" pieces are much less bearable and overly smug (I know its a characterisation but its a character im not too fond of).

I hope once he gets into the swing of things the character may be a little more toned down (but not completely as it can be workable) and that his mini reviews and other voice overs become more prominent.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I still have problems with the show:
1. Forced masturbation jokes, I like the I'm god almighty part of he's persona but he just isn't capable of making the vulgar jokes he wants to make.
2. The problem he talked about was more games need to be interactive, that is a problem with artsy games but it's not a unique problem, I would of like to see him actually go into some of the problems with artsy games.
3. I agreed with your ideas to begin with but if I didn't I wouldn't be swayed now, do to one main reason your bad examples are a bunch of small indie house games that barely anyones heard, I see that and I think indie games don't have the money to expand and test an idea to a working level(in a lot of cases they don't), it makes it seem like this isn't a problem in the main stream.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
well and that's why we have jim here
to tackle issues that no one else does

the video collages could be a lot better and more descriptive instead of just playing in the background for the sake of it

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
warprincenataku said:
I've tried watching this show several times, I... just don't care for it. It sounds canned and really forced.
Where is your avatar from?

OT: So far the best this show has done for me is provide "meh" and a few thoughts about if I agree and how I'd change the game ideas I already have to better fit some of these newfound opinions.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I want an orangufang. :(

This series is really picking up some pace for me, love it. :)

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
I still don't like this show. Even if he does have some valid points and even though it's better than the first, I still cannot get myself to enjoy it. This 'I AM THE GAMER MESSIAH' thing he has going on just gets under my skin real fast.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
While I agree with the fundamental sentiment of interaction being essential, Sterling has a history of advocating this notion of "fun" as absolutely vital to the form, an angle which I cannot agree with.
I feel that always applying the label "game" is limiting in this sense, considering the inherent connotations of the term. (i.e frivolity, amusement, entertainment)
Saints Row 2 is definitely a game, and a brilliant one at that.
I'm not sure I would describe The Void as a game, however.

That does not imply an assessment of value, mind you. I think both are perfectly legitimate approaches. I simply believe a distinction is called for, considering the radical difference in their respective sensibilities.

To continue on that point, the inclusion of The Path felt thoroughly incongruous.
What exactly is "weird" about it?
Granted, it's an allegorical account of Little Red Riding Hood, but we've seen that done many a time before. The fact that it operates on a symbolic rather than literal level doesn't render it incomprehensible, nor does it detract from the experience.
It is involving because it invites the participant to consider the manner in which he or she is complicit in the events unfolding.
Far Cry 2, a much more populist title, is quite similar in that respect as it asks the participant to commit the most heinous crimes, all under the guise of traditional progression through gameplay.

There seems to be a lot of moaning about pretensions and artistic snobbery abound, but honestly, does any medium evolve unless there's some level of pretension involved?
What I admire about a developer such as Tale of Tales is their seemingly endless desire to disregard the unspoken rules of the interactive medium as we know it today.
Be it successfully or not.
The Endless Forest, available free of charge, is probably the most original multiplayer experience I've had as of yet in its utter dismissal of established norms in online interaction.

I'll readily agree that this policy of theirs occasionally renders their work a bit too willfully obscure, however. The intentionally incomprehensible control scheme of "Fatale" is a perfect example of this self-indulgence. But frankly, I'd much rather spend my time being exposed to an interesting, new and unfamiliar approach; albeit genuinely confusing, than simply submit to yet another run-of-the-mill, predictable exercise in box-office lucre à la Epic Games.

P.S
I find it delightfully ironic that Sterling criticises something for being self-satisfied to the point of disregarding the enjoyment of its audience.

I still dislike his approach, and I still find him a very problematic commentator.
D.S

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Two good shows in a row? Gold star, Jim! Going from garbage to great in a mere four episodes is commendable.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
MatsVS said:
Think crap like 'Juno' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'. Weirdness is a means towards an end, not an end unto itself.
Are you sure we watched the same Scott Pilgrim vs. the World here? As well, you know, I thought that film was actually really, really good. I thought maybe you were voicing an opinion there, but I should have of course known you were actually stating a fact. How silly of me.

As an aside, I notice that you've just named two films starring Michael Cera as being "crap". Coincidence?

As for the Jim video, didn't watch it, so don't really have anything to contribute.

@MatsVS - I won't be coming back to this thread, so no need to bother trying to start a debate, as it won't happen. I have no intention of starting a war over differing opinions.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Haters going to freaking hate. I like this show and hope it keeps going. It's sure as hell better than Lisa's top 5, which I didn't even see a point to.

Estrada77

Sep 13, 2010
Getting a bit better....but the mastabatory jokes and lipstick at the end just made it go back two steps. Least he had something relevant to say. When its just him talking to us though, man are those parts dull...hopefully the director can mix it up some more.

Still meh, and the humor is missing the boat entirely.

Ingwer-Orang

Aug 26, 2009
Compared to the first episode this one is a huge improvement.
Not really funny but the topic was interesting.

JPRanger

Dec 30, 2009
This show annoyed me at first but I think its steadily getting better, keep this direction up please lol I think part of the issue thats boring people here is that there isnt really any specific aspect of the humor here thats 'his'.. and what I mean by that is in Zero Punctuation theres a very clear style to the video itself and the humor as well .. its purely yahtzee, the same concept can be seen with comedians that have a phrase or style of joke telling that they use a lot .. something that makes them unique and stand out from the next guy.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
This
MattAn24 said:
Dear The Escapist; I did not click "Play" on the video. There is no reason for the icon for this episode to be shown in my "Recently Watched Videos" bar next to badges and online friends. Please fix this.

No wonder there are "outrageous" view counts... You count a video view as "the page being open", not "THE VIDEO IS ACTUALLY PLAYING". How silly of you..
I agree 100%

I think this explains how some shows got their numbers.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
The guy raises some smart points about where developers fail like Extra Credits, but fails to follow through on the causes of the problems, and what can be done to fix it.

He's also employing an overly dramatic style in the 'to camera' sections, but unlike Yahtzee none of these jokes ascribe to a particularly coherent sense of humour and his delivery is obviously expectant of laughs while Yahtzee incorporates them into his work as an integral part rather than a throw away piece.

And also, I really hate the condescension on the part of both Jim and the Escapist with me being "unworthy" and "blessed" and the like.

I ultimately don't see who this video's meant to appeal to. If you want humour, go to the LRR guys or Yahtzee, if you want an intellectual discussion of the thematic and technical concepts of games, go to Extra Credits. And while you're around, go to Moviebob, cause he's just great.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Great episode, so much better than the first one (even though I hate David Cage).

Now let's get a pilot of Monkey Ghost.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I liked this one quite a bit more than the others, I got a good chuckle out of it. Especially with the Dracula-Monkey pun. XD

I look forward to more of your work! I never really thought about why I always felt a disconnect with "weird" games, considering I'm always attracted to the more abstract/zany games when they initially come out.

I think you pretty much nailed it. It's just not as much fun without being able to participate.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
dls182 said:

Agreed. The camera seems to track the level of "twat-face" radiation. The camera's away from him showing a game clip and he rattles off a few interesting points that I mostly agree with. Camera moves back and he's prostrating himself, punctuating alternate sentences with fuck, and being condescending, quite literally, in the "I'm the best thing ever to grace the earth" way.

There's been a couple of mentions of his family now. I know he's probably just playing a character in this prick on-camera monologue, but I find it difficult to believe anyone with this sense of humor could cultivate a decent family life, let alone raise a decent kid. To sum up: He has the ability to be interesting, but whenever he's in front of the camera (which makes it seem like a nerve issue?) He starts going for that "I'm the douchebag king of the world" sense of humor. He can't pull it off. I know people who have that style of humor, and he doesn't have it.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
I don't really like this guy. He's ok, but he's just trying too hard.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011

He succeeded.

Still, loving this show. First ep was bad even though it had good points, but I just love listening to this guy's ego. Plus, off-screen shots make great points.

PS: Killer 7 is a dream. No More Heroes creator basically making Inception. Awesome.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I hadn't really noticed this problem. I guess it'd almost be welcome if more 'weird' games were released. The 'triple A' offerings are all so homogenous that anything varying from them is welcome to some degree.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
The good point he brings up can also be applied to art games in general.

I saw a video on YouTube called, "Fun is Not Enough," where the guy ranted on how more games need to focus more on being art, and making a statement, even at the expense of fun.
This is a good counter to that video that hammers home the message, "Art is Not Enough." People won't give a crap about your "art" or message if you bore the crap out of them.

zeekyle

May 18, 2009
i am sorry, i just don't get it, why does Jimquisition keep on making new... what ever he wants to call them, when The Escapist already has a great rant guy who is a humble, insightful person and dose not use the F-word to get cheep laughs, The Big Picture with MovieBob. You don't really need two rant guys.

all I'm saying...

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Well, each one is getting better, but it's still kinda mediocre IMO. Keep it up and maybe it'll get better once you're used to it.

rda_Highlander

Nov 19, 2010
This is really getting interesting. I actually really agreed with his points on male/female sexuality and this topic is quite interesting as well. Also, self-irony always works for me, be it good or bad.
Also also, could he all this time actually talk like a jerk on purpose, for the sake of irony? Don't know him outside the show, so it's just my thought, but maybe he actually wanted to do a parody of typical game critic, but did it too good?

Errnor

Apr 18, 2011
Well, he had good points about "Cargo!".
But show got alot better the moment I've thought he looks like typical 'buddy' from that game. Just with his clothes on. Too bad I'm not Flawkes...

LordofPurple

Oct 4, 2010
Good Christ I can't stand this guy.
It sucks because he has such good points, but damn is his personality annoying. It's so forced and uninteresting. I honestly feel like this guy would prolly be a lot more interesting if he were less of an attempted caricature and was instead just himself.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
Uhhh...the analogy at the end was weird and innapropriate and, to be honest, made me a little uncomfortable. Aside from that, I really don't like this show.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
The introduction of an utterly alien protagonist to an otherwise mundane game world would also be an effective way to engage the player in the weirdness rather than leave them a befuddled,frustrated bystander.

In the process of exploring this extra-terrestrial or god or machines' mind, all of the bizarre things that people within any given society take for granted can also be addressed. Even something as seemingly insignificant as providing a third option for gender or a 'not applicable' neutral option, could provide an chance to play a character whose everyday experiences interacting with the average Joe or Jo on the street will practically be other worldly (and possibly reveal something about gender as a social construct as well as a biological condition).

Over-all, that was a pretty solid Jimquisition.
Still, I have to wonder if MovieBob were to broach this topic, would he have just thrown up the 'Video Games Are Weird text, reference his own weird and awkward teen years then dismiss the whole subject as pointless to worry about too much or see it as a barrier to new gamers becoming immersed in game narratives than needs to be knocked down.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
A very good post, sir, allow me to elaborate.
LiquidGrape said:
While I agree with the fundamental sentiment of interaction being essential, Sterling has a history of advocating this notion of "fun" as absolutely vital to the form, an angle which I cannot agree with.
I feel that always applying the label "game" is limiting in this sense, considering the inherent connotations of the term. (i.e frivolity, amusement, entertainment)
Saints Row 2 is definitely a game, and a brilliant one at that.
I'm not sure I would describe The Void as a game, however.
It's a common problem but the idea that all games should be entertaining is not in itself a bad idea. I find The Void to be an incredibly satisfying experience in a way very different from AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, but that doesn't make The Void any less entertaining. The problem is when the aforementioned idea is combined with the concept of a dichotomy between "fun" and "art." This creates the problem where a game must be mindlessly shallow to be considered "fun" (e.g. Bulletstorm) and pretentiously uninteresting to be considered "art" (e.g. [a href="http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/567370"]Psychosomnium[/a].)

LiquidGrape said:
That does not imply an assessment of value, mind you. I think both are perfectly legitimate approaches. I simply believe a distinction is called for, considering the radical difference in their respective sensibilities.
I agree insofar as that all games are not created with equal intentions and it would be very silly to apply the same set of criteria to everything. However, one must bare in mind that the best art is entertaining in some fashion.

LiquidGrape said:
To continue on that point, the inclusion of The Path felt thoroughly incongruous.
What exactly is "weird" about it?
Granted, it's an allegorical account of Little Red Riding Hood, but we've seen that done many a time before. The fact that it operates on a symbolic rather than literal level doesn't render it incomprehensible, nor does it detract from the experience.
It is involving because it invites the participant to consider the manner in which he or she is complicit in the events unfolding.
Far Cry 2, a much more populist title, is quite similar in that respect as it asks the participant to commit the most heinous crimes, all under the guise of traditional progression through gameplay.
I believe that Jim considers The Path weird because of its aesthetics. This is an issue of perception: that something is weird simply because it looks a bit odd. Consider Modern Warfare 2 a game which purports itself to be one of the most realistic shooters on the market, and yet once you get past its aesthetics it's completely bonkers. We have a game staring protagonists which can heal multiple gunshot wounds in a few seconds and is somehow able to go back in time a minute or two whenever he dies yet is unable to survive a single pistol shot in a cutscene. We have a game where Russia launches a total invasion of the United States because of a very suspicious massacre at an airport that doesn't make any fucking sense for a country to do. By comparison, The Path is a tad more realistic with its permanent deaths and open spaces.

LiquidGrape said:
There seems to be a lot of moaning about pretensions and artistic snobbery abound, but honestly, does any medium evolve unless there's some level of pretension involved?
What I admire about a developer such as Tale of Tales is their seemingly endless desire to disregard the unspoken rules of the interactive medium as we know it today.
Be it successfully or not.
The Endless Forest, available free of charge, is probably the most original multiplayer experience I've had as of yet in its utter dismissal of established norms in online interaction.
Agreed, no medium gets anywhere without experimentation. Sure, a lot of the first talkies sucked but without them we'd still be watching silent films.

LiquidGrape said:
I'll readily agree that this policy of theirs occasionally renders their work a bit too willfully obscure, however. The intentionally incomprehensible control scheme of "Fatale" is a perfect example of this self-indulgence. But frankly, I'd much rather spend my time being exposed to an interesting, new and unfamiliar approach; albeit genuinely confusing, than simply submit to yet another run-of-the-mill, predictable exercise in box-office lucre à la Epic Games.
To me part of the fun of games is figuring out how to play them. I'm sure a fair number of you have played Super Mario Galaxy, tell me, what was the most fun part of that game? The answer is obvious: the way it played with gravity. Super Mario Galaxy found an entirely new way to express the weakest of the four forces and was much more fascinating for it.

LiquidGrape said:
P.S
I find it delightfully ironic that Sterling criticises something for being self-satisfied to the point of disregarding the enjoyment of its audience.

I still dislike his approach, and I still find him a very problematic commentator.
D.S
Well, at least he's not assaulting our eyes with crudely drawn pictures of penises anymore. Which isn't to his credit at all in the same way that a car manufacturer should not be praised for making vehicles that don't explode when you turn the ignition.

Deadly Premonition, Jim, really? That game is The Sims crossed with Resident Evil. It also had the terrible idea of putting a pistol with infinite ammo. I can respect Deadly Premonition for at least trying something different, but it made so many bad design decisions (e.g. unpredictable QTEs within gameplay) and coding errors (e.g. can't walk through a zombie's corpse for 10-20 seconds after it disappears) that it just came out as a complete mess.

I haven't played Cargo! The Quest for Gravity but even I know there's a bit more to it then kicking gnomes and building vehicles. You can collect notes to play music (the music being taken from any of your own music files, happily,) you can summon objects out of the stratosphere in order to progress, and the Devil is involved somehow. You make it sound like the game is just putting on a show for you without letting you do anything, but frankly you're the only one who does anything whatsoever. It does seem like a bit of a grind though. I can't make a determination of its value right now. All I'm saying is don't misrepresent things.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
First of his videos I've watched, and I did like it. He seems to be trying a bit too hard with the on-screen persona at times, but the caricature that it is I find humorous. And the voice-over bits are great.

So well done Jim. But for the love of god, tone down the live action bits.

Meanmoose

Jan 20, 2009
MatsVS said:
This is also a prevalent issue in films, in a way; they get so caught up in their own eccentricity they forget what it was they set out to actually say. Think crap like 'Juno' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'. Weirdness is a means towards an end, not an end unto itself.

These are getting steadily better, by the way, and Mr. Sterling's abrasive personality is actually bearable at this point. I still object to much of what he's said in the past, but I will judge these on their own merits from now on.
maybe you just hate Michael Cera =P

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
I like the new direction he seems to be going in..

plus, and i know this has probably already been posted but it needs repeating - "orangufang" = sheer genius

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
This is better than the first episode, I watched this one through to the end and it also strikes an interesting topic. Unfortunately Jim reminds me of unlikable people I knew in secondary school. He is that "generously proportioned" kid who thinks everybody loves his personality a whole bunch, and thus shouts all his sentences loudly and proudly, forcing himself on people like a sex offender (which in his case would be like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key still in)

Magical Crab

May 4, 2011
I'm sorry, it's like there is a discussion in there somewhere, a topic worth exploring, but he only touches on the surface of the issue. He does not present any other views than the shallow onlooker's perspective, nor does he spend a lot of time exploring the depths of the actual issue, and his jokes are just too juvenile to be funny, and it just feels like he is catering to the... dare I say it? The derpy crowd.

He's just too lost in his internet-personality for now. I just hope he'll pop out of it eventually.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
A better episode that the previous ones. No "ums" or pauses that I could see, and no crude MS paint drawings (thank god).

I think you are best when discussing topics that not everyone has talked about before because if you go on to talk about, say, DRM and piracy it would be boring because you'd be saying the exact same thing that everyone else has been saying except offering no real in-depth analysis. However, with a more abstract topic, like today's, it's easier to make comments on without parroting others and with less need to go really in-depth.

So, yeah, I'd stick with these more obscure topics. I don't think your strength is in the heavy hitting topics, it would just come off as preaching to the choir and getting on bandwagons.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.
I wonder if you knew that he was doing this video segment over at destructoid for a while now...

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Man what happend to you jim? you were so much better in this over at destructoid more natural and real...it seems like your conforming to what escapist wants you to be...
(and yet again I hate the fact you cant delete a post I thought someone had replied and thought it was okay to post again but i ended up double posting...)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
Avaholic03 said:
I wonder if you knew that he was doing this video segment over at destructoid for a while now...
Nope, I didn't know that. And it's probably better that way, otherwise I would have been sick of it long before he made it to the Escapist. How long was he doing it there before the Escapist picked it up? If anything, that makes me more disappointed because that means he's had more time to polish the presentation, and it's still crap.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
loved it.
looks like you've found your tone and style, and feel more comfortable with the camera. bring on more of this.

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
I watched this. Then I read Extra Consideration and I enjoyed Jim much better on the latter. He is much more likable and his insight really shows when he's not acting his character for this series.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I actually didn't mind this one. You've somehow won me over from pure disgust to mildly enjoyed.

The toucan bit gave me a lol.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Well damn Killer 7 and Deadly Premonition are two of my favorite weird games.....and he makes good points about player agency with the weird.

I think Jim's just a bit rusty or noobish at this, but he's improving. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops this, it's getting better with each episode.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
This is not too much of a surprise, but he makes sense.

The reason why Earthworm Jim and Earthbound are two of my favorite video games are for their quirkiness: They respect their quirkiness, but take their time to make a game. Now for a game that doesn't quite work as well as it should, I point to Earthworm Jim 64, in which the game is so wacky, you can't make heads or tails on how to play it, and the camera is so awful, playing it today actually makes me nauseous.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I think if you are going to be weird it should be to no other end than to provide a unique aspect of gameplay. For example, if I decide that everyone in my world is made of cookies, the first thing I'm going to put in is a milk gun that dissolves away the cookie people slowly, and makes them crumbles as I damage them. That justifies my weird idea.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Getting somewhat better, though the humor does feel a bit forced at times.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
This was actually pretty funny and interesting. Keep at it Jim, I'm starting to dig this.

YouEatLard

Jun 20, 2010
danyy2009 said:
If he only was funny, it could be alot better.
Very true. I used to think all of the British were probably funny. The British are usually great at being funny.... even when they're not trying to be. Anyone that has been on Vent or Teamspeak when a Brit ripped into anyone else knows what I'm talking about.

This man is British and opinionated.... and somehow.... far from funny. Other added bonuses, weak points and weaker speaking skills.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Eh, a bit better than his previous videos and he does make good points. However the humor as well as his self centeredness does come across as forced most of the time.

It is getting better though, I'll give it another week.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thank you God.

Thank you for Jim and his Jimquisition. I finally found an entertainer who may be almost as modest, decent, humble, and humorous, as the voices in my head.

After watching this, I think I'm going to get Killer 7.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Ok, this episode was fine.

It still didn't really have a purpose... but neither does movie bob in "the big picture" 2/3 of the time.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Awesome once again. It's very interesting to see how he took the initial roasting to heart and I'm very glad to see that the hate didn't last long enough to ax the show. "Garme jurnalizm!" is a good shtick in my opinion, and something I think this site needs more of. So many people here take themselves and their views on gaming too dang seriously.

Soooo true on artsy games, too. I'm remembering One Chance and I'm finding I resent it a lot more now due to its inability to let me truly take control of the situation.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
very nice. i do enjoy some weird games, but they get that much better when they let you go at it with a sledgehammer over a dull pair of kiddy scissors(metaphorically of course).

keep it up Jim. your getting better over time.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
If you pitched your Monkey Ghost idea to Cartoon Network, on the basis that "It's weird, isn't it?", they're be totally on board. In fact, CN's latest line of thinking is EXACTLY the same like of thinking for these weird games, like their bizarre nature is enough to carry an otherwise decent or how-hum show.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I'm somewhat glad I clicked on this one. It was an improvement over your last videos. It actually had a fair bit of depth concerning the topic of weirdness.

I'd probably drop the offensive jokes. They don't really fit smoothly with the rest of the video and the juxtaposition (jimstaposition?) doesn't really add anything to my understanding of the topic or the enjoyment of the video. It's just a distraction.

Now most importantly: Where's Chad?

AyreonMaiden said:
Soooo true on artsy games, too. I'm remembering One Chance and I'm finding I resent it a lot more now due to its inability to let me truly take control of the situation.
Sort of a different situation, considering it was a flash game on newgrounds, wouldn't you say? I can't really imagine a basement flash developer putting in the years of work required to "really" let you take control of that situation - and it would probably undercut the game's message if it were even possible.

I like to think of those as more "short story sketches" than immersive blockbuster games.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
HandsomeZer0 said:
Orangafang made me spit coke all over the computer screen :p
I'm really digging this now.
That and the part about toucans got to me too. I actually enjoyed this episode. I liked too how he was kinda clever about his message this time. He was purposefully talking a lot of bullshit and nonsense, but I felt this time his bullshit nonsense had meaning behind it rather than just bullshit for its own sake. HOORAY JIM, YOU DID IT!

Also laughed at least two times so I'm not mad at this series anymore.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I think this series has great potential. It's best when he avoids the disturbing imagery (the family bit was just not necessary) and the forced, fake illusions of grandeur.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
Avaholic03 said:
Nope, I didn't know that. And it's probably better that way, otherwise I would have been sick of it long before he made it to the Escapist. How long was he doing it there before the Escapist picked it up? If anything, that makes me more disappointed because that means he's had more time to polish the presentation, and it's still crap.
*laughs hard* god I love that another person that actually believes most of escapist content is cultivated with good presentation...

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
This one was a huge improvement on the last three, in my opinion. The added bits of self-deprecation made me hate him way less.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Still no.

You've got two concepts up in this ***** right here, and you're tackling them like they're either indivisible or indistinguishable.

You had some funny jokes though.

But overall, it was still a pretty dismal bit of commentary with pretty ham-handed insights that you haven't worked through completely.

Sprong said:
This one was a huge improvement on the last three, in my opinion. The added bits of self-deprecation made me hate him way less.
Also this.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Made me laugh, and a good point about some artsy fartsy games -- although I disagree with 'The Path' as an example of these.
Glad to see this series has apparently found its proper method here!

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Valid points, I think quite a few weird games turn out to be more fleshed out than just their weird visuals. Recently for me, Zeno Clash ($15 on Steam).

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/22200/0000007655.800x600.jpg?t=1241208144

Zeno Clash has the wildest character design and along with prehistoric art direction, it's uniquely weird. The world is very different from fantasy fare, with concepts like Corwin of the Free being like mental patients who are without inhibitions. Then there's a weird story where you're one of the children of Father-Mother but decide to run away from your family, and then you start getting beat up by your "Sisters" and "Brothers", while on the way finding out the mystery to Father-Mother. The ending has one of the most shocking plot twists that's straight out of a Grimm fairy tale.

All this presentation aside, the first-person melee is the most satisfying and deepest since Condemned. It's a brawler all the way, and appropriately arcadey with being blocked off in arenas for fights and having vs screens. There are shooting segments too, with the very hand-made weapons reminding me of Stranger's Wrath. You have fish dual pistols (like Videodrome), crossbows, and the coolest looking rifle. Surprisingly, they're fun to use in such a brawler-heavy game and add strategy to group combat encounters.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/22200/0000007660.800x600.jpg?t=1241208144
http://casualtygamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/zenoclash_mucalosaurus.jpg

Just one of those games you MUST play for the unique experience.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
He's trying to emulate Colbert, and it's not working. I really think that he should try to find his own style, or stop trying so hard to be funny. Up to him, really.

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Galliam said:
HandsomeZer0 said:
That and the part about toucans got to me too. I actually enjoyed this episode. I liked too how he was kinda clever about his message this time. He was purposefully talking a lot of bullshit and nonsense, but I felt this time his bullshit nonsense had meaning behind it rather than just bullshit for its own sake. HOORAY JIM, YOU DID IT!

Also laughed at least two times so I'm not mad at this series anymore.
I've never really been that mad at it, i thought it was okay at the start. It just needed some more diverse topics and a little more flash for people to grow to it. But still orangafangs and toucans are definitely in my vocabulary now :p

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
This show is definitely getting better. The last one was an improvement and this one was really solid.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Sounds a bit forced, but just like the third video, still an improvement on the first and second. I'm still not sold on this show, but I'm continuing to watch it.

I guess that's something right?

Apr 25, 2009
Ahhh Jim, I actually liked you in this one!!

It was a good change to formula. Less rant and more actual insight to design philosophies and aesthetics = a damn good step in the right direction, in my books!

Mr C

May 8, 2008
I never hated Jim at the beginning, but I didn't warm to him either. However, this episode is a step in the right direction.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I feel there is a plenty of room for irony here. Just swearing doesn't make an attractive show, just being weird and pretending to be egoistical isn't fun when it's like our job is to sit here and watch you have fun with yourself...

But it's not really true. This is a decent show, unfortunately squeezed between Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation and MovieBob which cornered all three aspects of opinionated first (intellectual, funny and really really opinionated) which makes it hard for this to feel fresh. But all in all it's fair enough, I haven't been completely engaged in every video, but thats a lot to ask. I will say I'm treating this more as a podcast though, with nothing much to be worth looking at, something which creates the shotgun humour affect in the other three aforementioned shows.

EDIT: And after four watchings the opening credits haven't got any less awesome :D

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Third episode I've watched, and third episode that is completely underwhelming. Also, Jim's voice just irks me for some reason and I haven't the first clue why that is.

Overall, this series is done for me, good luck with your future endeavors Jim and I hope we never meet again. Cheers!

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
If the trend continues this could become a great series, I especially enjoyed the specific insight into certain games, giving reasons as to why they did well or why they failed.

However, the vulgar humor just doesn't fit in with the rest of the show. I understand that in between each insightful period a joke has to be thrown in to lighten the tone, but I would consider a more creative or eccentric humor, a bit like the orangafan gag, over the crass "I could force my family..." one.

Still, credit where it is due, this was a much improved video. Good work. :)

DefiantWolf

Aug 22, 2010
I grinned to myself when he slammed The Path for it's presentation. It's like he read my mind.

If you don't engage the player, you have failed in your vision, and thus failed as an artist.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Is this actually a problem in gaming? Seriously, he was right about Noby Noby Boy but I'd never even heard of Cargo and the weird games that tend to have a single fan in their fanbase like said Deadly Premonition and Killer 7 are pretty much the games that depth in other areas

What other "weird" games are there out there that get any notice at all? Katamari...that about it? Thought so...

I'm not a fan of Jimquisition yet but this topic isnt relevent. There aren't THAT many games out there that ARE just weird with not background gameplay. Maybe this discussion is better made about film.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
Hey. Keep working on it. Your getting better.

These are actually getting funny. Like said earlier- Humor's a little forced, but now some of these aren't blatant telling the audience they suck ass.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
I like him, he's funny. But the first game he talked about was german, how did he play it ?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I watched all the episodes and while this episode was pretty good compared to the others, I'm still not feeling anything incredible towards the series.

Some of the lines are funny and some of the points are well made (even if they're already made by other people)

Sorry Jim, I'm sure you've got your fanbase, and I'll give a few more episodes here and there a go if you tackle a subject that actually interests me, but these videos really just aren't my style of entertainment.

NinjaOnXTC

Apr 25, 2011
So, starting to get interesting and it is tolerable if you get passed the forced humor, however it is easy to improve on (in my humble opinion) horrible videos. Only real downfall is that I see him trying to emulate the success of Yahtzee by acting like him, by catering to the narcissist market that Yahtzee is. I will watch the next two, but unless the change is an exponential one I don't think that I will bother much more.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I have to admit these do seem to be improving.

And...someone else who's played The Path?! Yay

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Not bad...atleast not as bad as the first two episodes.
The first two left me going "get rid of Jim!" but the last two were pretty okay so I don't mind if he stays now.

wall5970

Mar 11, 2010
Wow. This is the first one I've seen where I felt like he made a point. Was it a point worth five minutes? No. Once again, he just said the same 30 second point over and over and over again: "Weird games ideally let you join in the weirdness."

What was that?

"Weird games ideally let you join in the weirdness."

And one more time for the slow people.

Oh... wait... we're going one more time?

Also, he's not funny. I almost laughed one time this episode, which is a huge improvement, but his jokes seem less like natural byproducts of wit and more of him writing the main script for his episode, then going back over it and forcing jokes into it.

If I were speaking, this probably would have taken around 40 seconds, and I've made two points. See how that works?

Let me help out (see, an offering of a possible real solution, rather than just "women are treated like sex objects --> most people think it would be better for the industry if women weren't treated like meat with holes --> let's say the opposite of that to make a 5 minute long joke that I repeat ad nauseum!"). I'll structure a basic outline for what I'd like to see "The Jimquisition" do next week:
1. State the overall argument ("Weird games shouldn't be weird for the sake of weird")
2. Explore possibilities why the status quo takes place ("People confuse superficial gimmicks with true sparks of genius and originality")
3. Discuss games that succeeded and failed in this endeavor ("Succeeded: 'Katamari Demacy' since you were the absolute weirdest thing in that universe doing ALL the action that mattered, the early 'Silent Hill' series because although you weren't the 'weirdest' thing in our meaning, you were a certainly weird visitor to this horrific universe, which made you feel important and meaningful in that universe. Failed: the games that were mentioned in the Jimquisition")
4. Discuss some nuance and conclude ("Although you are changing the universe in that weird stretchy worm game, you still feel like you're a natural staple in the universe, therefore making you feel like the most mundane part of the universe. This type of feeling is prevalent in the naked Verne Troyer game as well, in which you're the tool that lets everyone else have weird fun, rather than actually having the weird fun. This separates that from the successes I mentioned because in the games that were successful in the realm of the weird, you felt like you were the most active and important in the universe. Without you, the world seemed like it would run on whatever that version of the status quo was for them, but with you, it's truly delved into a weird, irrevocably changed, version of whatever universe you're affecting.")

And that, my friend, is how you discuss games.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
That came off as bizarre. And seeing as the topic is weirdness. I don't see a problem.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I got to the video page, saw yet more example of Jim's "I'm so fucking great everyone else can eat shit!" attitude, and found myself very tempted to put a block on your whole fucking site.

teh_steve

Nov 19, 2009
Ok, that's actually a half decent show for once.
See Jim, you can do a half good job, you obviously know your stuff. Stop trying to be a less likeable bastard off-spring of Yahtzee and Movie Bob, and give us some intelligent yet entertaining shows.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
teh_steve said:
Ok, that's actually a half decent show for once.
See Jim, you can do a half good job, you obviously know your stuff. Stop trying to be a less likeable bastard off-spring of Yahtzee and Movie Bob, and give us some intelligent yet entertaining shows.
Producing something intelligent requires intelligence yourself; something Jim clearly lacks.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I want to like this show, I really do. But I just can't get into it. I watched it and tried to laugh at the jokes but all I could do was bring myself to a smirk.

I did like that he finally brought up a topic that not many people (at least not that I've seen) have covered before so that's at least a step in the right direction

LIke someone earlier said, I'm sure he's got his fanbase but I'm just not part of it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
He puts across some very good points, but I dunno... if I want good points then I think that Extra Credit does it a lot better, and the humour aspect is, well... I guess he's trying to be humorously arrogant, but he comes across more as just plain arrogant and not that funny.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
The series seems to have started going down the right path, it started with more serious stuff and ranting and now it seems to have settled down a bit, the calm voice overs with game images helped a lot and also the show is more witty. I laughed a couple of times, so well done Jim, you've earned a regular viewer here.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
This series is actually getting better with each episode. I'm annoyed that the Treno theme is getting harder to hear, but if that is my only complaint about the last couple of episodes then Jimquisition is doing something very right.
Jimbo said:
"Why can't I ride toucans?! Toucans are my favourite animal!! WHEN DOES JIM GET HIS SHARE???
Funniest thing I've seen in weeks!

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Demanding that games have actual GAMEPLAY in them?! You sick, SICK man!

While we're on this topic, Graveyard Graveyard Revolution [http://distractionware.com/games/flash/kotm/ggr/] is a better "Art Game" than its inspiration, The Graveyard [http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/]. I prefer my games at least have some kind of gameplay in them, otherwise they're just interactive digital trinkets, which is not a bad thin in itself though. It's just that I prefer to keep my digital gewgaws and my games in separate cupboards.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Hah. <- about sounds up my impression. There's potential here. Maybe with experience will come a decent gig and a new series for me to follow. If I think you deserve it. ;)

L33tMarvin

Feb 18, 2009
this whole week my mind has been on killer 7 and you talk about it...GET OUT OF MY HEAD DAMN IT but anyway killer7 was a great way for suda 51 to be known out of japan,I personally would like a cross over of no more heroes with killer 7 or a "Killer 7:part 2"

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Jimquisition makes me sad. He always has great points and I generally find myself totally agreeing with him. The problem is the way he delivers the humour. A review like this would probably read brilliantly, but in a video Jim comes across forced - he doesn't have the right kind of personality to make the script work so what would otherwise be funny jokes fall flat because they're delivered in an incredibly leaden way. It's a real shame, I really wanted to like Jimquisition. I guess some people have the gift of humorous public speaking, and some just don't.

vic.tz

Jun 16, 2007
I've watched all of the episodes, and I don't like this show. I really don't like this show. His similes are inept. His jokes aren't funny. His language is juvenile (as many have said). His topics aren't entirely relevant. His narcissism is unjustified. His criticisms are unqualified (at least he admits this much). I don't like the audio quality (changes between onscreen/voiceover), but that doesn't matter so much because I don't like his voice.

Jim is nothing more than a poor man's Yahtzee. Like, buying your clothes at walmart poor. Like, you don't even think twice about letting HER pick up the check poor. Like, you can't afford the $20 to let your kid go on the field trip, so he has to spend the day alone in the principal's office in his walmart clothes, and then the next day he has to explain to all the other kids why he couldn't go poor.

And now I've spent my frist pots complaining about some fat guy on the internet.

magicringgirl

Apr 17, 2009
This is an interesting concept... I never really noticed the enjoyment of the npc's. However I do find that when an npc is doing something unique or creative, I often wonder why I can't too. I would like it if games were more open to options and creativity. Like in old school table top dice rolling rpg's like, D&D or World of Darkness, your options are only limited by your imagination and I as a player like seeing just how far the DM will let me go before he slings a cow from space down on my character :p

But in all seriousness games should really look into providing more options for players, and allow for creative solutions other then, "kill all the enemies", or "find the key".

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
We need an Escapist idol so we can cast our votes and kicks off the least popular series.

*hopes*

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Much better than before. A more original topic makes for a more engaging lecture. The attitude and style of the show also seems to be better realized than before.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
HandsomeZer0 said:
That line made me realize he has potential, i think i will keep watching for a bit longer. I saw someone comment on an earlier episode that he is trying for the Colbert humor, which I can see now, but I feel like he is trying to integrate some Lewis Black in there to, but there is potential.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
magicringgirl said:
This is an interesting concept... I never really noticed the enjoyment of the npc's. However I do find that when an npc is doing something unique or creative, I often wonder why I can't too. I would like it if games were more open to options and creativity. Like in old school table top dice rolling rpg's like, D&D or World of Darkness, your options are only limited by your imagination and I as a player like seeing just how far the DM will let me go before he slings a cow from space down on my character :p
My technique for dealing with "trouble players" was giving them dragon AIDS. I would have them roll a D20, and as soon as it bounces of the table the first time, I would tell them "You have AIDS"

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
lol, "two-can".

Not as funny as last week's "skelington". But I still like how I find Jim pronouncing one word in an unusual way.

Looking forward to next Monday already.

kara_bulut

Apr 1, 2009
That's exacly how I felt about "The Path". When I went on their forums to critise it the developers and the community just told me to shut the f*** up because it was something about art being art and art art art art art.

But I wonder how much did their art sell ?