Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Weird is Not Enough

Another Jimquisition? I bet you can't believe your luck. This week, you have the honor of learning how to avoid the trap that many "weird" games fall into.

Watch Video

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
I'm still not quite sure what I think about this...

The humour at the start feels forced. It seems like he's trying too hard whenever he's on screen. The voiceover parts of this episode were good though. He raises interesting points that are worth listening to, then he appears on screen again and it goes back to being annoying.

As I said, still not sure. I'll wait out the growing pains of a new series

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I like this one. Made some very good points about 'arty' games (I may also have to get a PS2 again now just so I can try out Killer 7).

I also liked: "Well I've never fucked a pair of pliers but I know that that's bad!"

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I like this one. Made some very good points about 'arty' games (I may also have to get a PS2 again now just so I can try out Killer 7).

I also liked: "Well I've never fucked a pair of pliers but I know that that's bad!"
My words exactly.

I honestly see some integration to the Escapist public going on here, I'm curious to see where this might go from here.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
I've tried watching this show several times, I... just don't care for it. It sounds canned and really forced.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I think the sarcasm worked better this time, more tongue in cheek, and he had some very good points about immersion being critical, especially in weird games. I might actually be coming around to this.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Valid points, but I can't see a developer watching this and taking the points on board due to how it is presented. Yahztees extreme level of criticism works because we don't see him and so it doesn't seem so personal when he insults people.

Anyway, interesting episode and I agree that weirdness for weirdness sake doesn't work when it comes to gaming.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
I didn't like the first one, meh on the next two, but this one was great! So far its a nice upward trend. I'll keep watching :)

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Reasonable points. The criticism that a game that isn't fun is not a good game is always welcome. Personally though, I never tried to play the games that are simply weird for weirdness' sake because that is a stupid idea.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ghost Monkey would renew my faith in Television...especially the Orangufang episodes who could easily become more popular a villain than The Joker.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
This is also a prevalent issue in films, in a way; they get so caught up in their own eccentricity they forget what it was they set out to actually say. Think crap like 'Juno' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'. Weirdness is a means towards an end, not an end unto itself.

These are getting steadily better, by the way, and Mr. Sterling's abrasive personality is actually bearable at this point. I still object to much of what he's said in the past, but I will judge these on their own merits from now on.

postblitz

May 5, 2009
my advice to jim is to apply the lesson from this particular video onto himself.

make your weirdness more welcoming and engaging for viewers on the escapist and you may actually work things out.

but i really don't want to know what that lipstick midget joke meant

cya

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
I like the direction that this is going. Kinda started out serious, then slowly turned into a mockery of serious game shows. I like it.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Good Episode, but he didn't talk about Katamari Damacy? Why not? That's the best weird game where have more fun then anyone else!!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Best one so far.

There are so many games that relate loosely to this topic from games that have characters doing cooler stuff in cutscenes, than in gameplay to games that are based around a gimmick like madworld's monotone or Kane and Lynch 2's shaky home video presentation...