Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, at least he finally has something to SAY on a topic, and makes a few interesting points that haven't already been covered more in-depth by James Portnow.

Unfortunately, all of it is broken up and interrupted by his insufferable "humor," which mainly consists of trying way too hard to hype his "persona," which just doesn't work, at all. This guy needs to take some basic lessons in how to do comedy.

But as I said, at least he has something to say this time.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Note to self:Keep lipstick away from Jim.

Wait, I don't have any lipstick.

This one seemed pretty good in that weird, damn this is creepier than some of the worst of ZP kind of way.

btenkink

May 28, 2009
Still Hit-and-Miss, but a lot more Hit than Miss compared to his previous shows.

Keep Evolving Jim! I'll keep watching.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I liked this one a lot more than his other episodes.
Also, it seems to me that bad weird games are like hipsters.
Just a thought.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.

Olofelefant

Feb 18, 2011
WHile the thread could evolve further still, I think he fills a niche in this website, as he has a different attitude than both experienced points and the big picture, and if nothing else, he has troll-esque feel, which I enjoy.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Good episode, I don't usually post when I like something, but since Jim seems to be taking 'fan' feedback to heart, I'll make an exception since the guy probably need a bit of praise after the roasting he's been getting.

But it was funny, it had no crappy MS drawing (or not enough for me to notice in any case), you actually made good points, the topic - while not a hot button topic - was an interesting one and hadn't been talked to death. Than again, other people may jump on this now that game are 'legally' art and more studio might go for artsy games that forget to be fun.

Do keep making fun of yourself - your persona of a douchebag is still here, but the fact that you are the butt of many of your jokes helps make you come off as a lot friendlier than the first few shows.

TBH, I kinda wish I could forget the 3 other episodes and have this one has a first impression - this looks like a promising show now. I don't know how long it will take for me to look forward to the Jimquisition rather than click on it and be like 'Well... I got nothing else to do' - but if you keep going in this direction, it certainly will happen.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
kuth said:
Good Episode, but he didn't talk about Katamari Damacy? Why not? That's the best weird game where have more fun then anyone else!!
True, but he was pointing out games with weirdness that the player is often left out of for the most part. Still, I'm glad he brought up Deadly Premonition. That has to be one of the most bonkers games I've played in years.

------------

Keep it up, Jim. The show's getting more fun every week.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I think he might be making fun of game reviewers. It's not entirely clear, but he might be targeting people like Yahtzee who talk about games as if they know more about making them than the actual developers.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Yahtzee and he usually does have better ideas than they developers, but that's besides the point.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
It's even worse than the previous one. Well, there are "jokes" and Jim's attitude seems like something to attrack the internet trolls, the whole point is summed by the title - there's no point watching it after readin the title :/
I watched it in hope for improvment, but I guess I won't bother with the next one.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Okay, you've got my attention: a joke actually made me laugh (Jim gazing at the pliers) and the overall show had a point worth examining and spent the majority of its time actually doing so. A promising development.

Jerre138

Oct 6, 2010
I somewhat preferred the Jimquisition on Destructoid. But I still enjoy it, although the humour does come across as being forced sometimes.

Probably funnier than I am though, so I'll just fuck off now.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Dear The Escapist; I did not click "Play" on the video. There is no reason for the icon for this episode to be shown in my "Recently Watched Videos" bar next to badges and online friends. Please fix this.

No wonder there are "outrageous" view counts... You count a video view as "the page being open", not "THE VIDEO IS ACTUALLY PLAYING". How silly of you..

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Liked this episode. And since I also really liked the last episode, this show has earn a place among those I watch regular. Keep up the good work.

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
I really disliked his first set of episodes. His humor seemed forced and he was trying to hard in my opinion. He does have some interesting things to say but it was masked and forced out by all the penis drawings.

I don't have an issue with vulgarity but Jim seemed to be doing it for its own sake which I do have a problem with.

However, I did actually enjoy this episode. He had a good roll and I enjoyed his voice-overs to the game animation. If his episodes become more of this and less on how it was I might actually start looking forward to his episodes.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Definitely getting better. I really wasn't feeling the first couple of episodes, but I've liked the last two quite a bit.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Well, it's the best one he's had on The Escapist by far; but as others have said, a lot of it is still forced. Particularly his closing this time around. Good enough though that I'll check out next weeks episode.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I certainly my first touch of the Jimquisition. Honestly, it made me a tad uncomfortable and I wanted to notify the police. (joke)

At first I didn't like the series. Seemed too arbitrarily aggressive and, subconsciously perhaps, I felt like Jim Sterling was just doing what Yahtzee does, only at a podium instead of behind humorous images on a yellow background. But I watched this episode, and liked it. He brought up some good points, and I was genuinely interested.

Although, it was lacking in the bitterness department. :D

All in all, I enjoyed this one, and I hope for a good future in the series.