Jimquisition: The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I have no plans to get an Xbone. If I get another microsoft console, it'll be the one that comes after the Xbone that uses backwards compatibility back to the 360 as a feature. But only if they cut down on the other bullshit.

*sigh* I'll never get to play Rock Band again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
C.S.Strowbridge said:
On a side note, the X-Box One doubled sales after the Kinnectless version came out, but the month before, while people were waiting for this version, sales fell below the Wii U by a serious margin. Even with double the sales, the PS4 was the best-selling console, but with less than 100,000 units sold.
That true? That's hilarious if so.

"Oh hey guys, we totally double our sales *coughafterlosingatonthemonthbefore* people LOVE the Xbox One now that it is Kinect-Free!"

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
theApoc said:
So Jim is complaining about a situation that he and the others who are like him created? You are complaining because they backed off of creating a media device and subsequently neutered it to stop the whining of people like yourself? It had clear potential that was eliminated the moment the company started making decisions based on game reviewers and silly rant videos.

Kinect may not be ready for prime time. But it is better than it was, and it will continue to get better still. And 5 years from now, people will wonder how there was every a device that wasn't spacial aware and capable of true voice command. It was never going to be anything more than a gimmick when it comes to games, and gaming should never have been the focus of the device.

The only thing the failed to do was emphasize the strengths of the kinect as its own thing. Instead they keep trying to tie it to gaming. When many of the features that could actually make it useful are pushed off as secondary.

MS has a terrible marketing department, for all of their devices and all of their software. Not because of what they are producing, but rather because they are marketing these things as if they are following rather than innovating.

The PS4 is no more relevant than the XBOX one, and that has nothing to do with fanboys or hardware. There was no real need for current gen, and they would have been a lot better off waiting until they were able to mass produce true next gen experiences. Until developers can utilize these devices 100%, both machines are a complete waste of money.

There never will be a "true next gen experience" we are at the end of CPU and GPU performance improvements physics has beaten us.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
templar1138a said:
I have no plans to get an Xbone. If I get another microsoft console, it'll be the one that comes after the Xbone that uses backwards compatibility back to the 360 as a feature. But only if they cut down on the other bullshit.

*sigh* I'll never get to play Rock Band again.

That will never happen IBM is doing away with there CPU business and Microsoft will never pay IBM billions of dollars for BC for a future console.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Evonisia said:
Besides that, this episode is basically a repeat of the recent apology episode and any post 180 turn Xbox One episode. Filler, I guess that's down to the summer being full of nothing worth thinking about.
Maybe it's time for a junk drawer episode? Or a episode where he corrects his former mistakes. Or a episode where he apologized for the shitty reviews og his, especially this one.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
But, but guys!

The cloud will fix everything!

captcha: drag race...funny that one captcha.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
Jim i meant to say this on last weeks episode but i came up with a good line for pre ordering things. "You wouldn't pre order a piece of fruit."

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Good episode, sir!

Lovely seeing this deconstruction of the hard work put in by the PR departments in big, huge, companies. What a fulfilling career choice that must be for both scoundrels and scum.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Not sure what to make of this episode.

On the one hand, I don't particularly disagree with anything that has been said. But on the other hand, now that the Xbox One has changed, and to something people actually want, it does kind of seem like looking for excuses to dislike it.

Then again, maybe it's because I own - and have enjoyed - the Xbox One (I do also own the Wii U and now PS4) that I feel this way. I mean, I'm not going to sit here and applaud them, but equally as well, I'm not going to hold a grudge either.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Well like the video says, we all knew this was bullshit a year ago.

I think a more topical video would be one that calls out Sony for releasing a new console but little else.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
babinro said:
Shouldn't this site be flooded with WiiU, handheld console, PC games coverage while Xbox One and PS4 get maybe 1/10th the attention of those? Wouldn't this be sending a more positive message about the gaming industry through your actions?

I'm not saying for Yahtzee or Jim Sterling to stop making videos about this. By all means, point out the injustices to consumers so that we don't forget about this issue. Even the escapists podcasters have almost nothing positive to say about the current gen consoles.

It would be nice if the site could follow it's content creators own advice. Spend more time focusing on promoting positive gaming awareness through companies who make 'less evil' decisions.

On topic: Good summary piece all around.
I didn't need more convincing to never support Xbox One but there you have it.
The thing is, the Xbox One and PS4 audience is the one most willing to join gaming sites, read the news, etc. The Wii U and 3DS is more of a niche and Nintendo games do tend to attract younger audiences who won't join gaming sites and read the news. As for PC gaming... I guess they already have their news site or niche community.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Any reason to give Microsoft shit, eh? Same with EA, Ubisoft, etc. People can't get enough of not just criticizing these big companies but rather making a big deal out of everything, and if they decide to reverse course and do something smart? By all means lets shame them for that as well. If anyone wonders why they don't seem to care about "you" as a customer, maybe its because "you" have a tendency to badmouth them no matter what they do. If it were me I'd care very little about the opinions of folks who never had one good thing to say about me, yet go out of their way to talk shit.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Sorry Jim, but your anonymous Hong Kong pink tie is no match for my Quebec twoney white cap. Wait... what is that? A portrait of Mysterio from Spiderman!? Damn, dictator Jim wins again!

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Can't help but feel like this video just preaches to the choir.

Most people here were pretty gung-ho about shitting all over M$ and I don't think that has changed much over the course of the year.

Still, it's good to remember the shit they tried to pull instead of praising them for suddenly making the XBone the console it should have been from the get-go.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Phil Spencer is just another spin doctor. Their new corporate line is that all those mistakes and lies were made by the old people (ie Mattrick) but now that Phil is here he's not responsible for the lies and broken promises of the people who came before him, so everyone just shut up and buy more consoles.

Have people REALLY forgotten the lies and bullshit Microsoft threw at us a year ago? I haven't. It's why I don't own an Xbone and don't have plans to do so in the forseeable future.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Big surprise. Yahtzee was right. Sony and Microsoft were so gung ho about becoming less powerful PCs that they basically were in a race to see which would become obsolete faster. Looks like we know which one won the race. This also proves, while still terrible launch, staying committed to a devoted game system and focusing on what game consoles always were and should be will net you good will and eventually start turning around. While I didn't think it would fail in quite this way I suspected it basically would be a two console race between the Wii U and PS4 with the Xbone limping behind in third place.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Well said but diapointment more than anger is all I hold for the great fall of microsoft and the xbox brand due to lies and weak will to hold the line on its media plans(stick to your guns or just be more wrong and U-turn some more?).

Sure sales have picked up but they not getting any closer to catching sony who are no white knights but at least they are semi clear and honest as corperations go :) meh smeg it i'm going to go and sigh deeply for a day or two over the faliure of over paid dumb asses.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
Phil Spencer is just another spin doctor. Their new corporate line is that all those mistakes and lies were made by the old people (ie Mattrick) but now that Phil is here he's not responsible for the lies and broken promises of the people who came before him, so everyone just shut up and buy more consoles.

Have people REALLY forgotten the lies and bullshit Microsoft threw at us a year ago? I haven't. It's why I don't own an Xbone and don't have plans to do so in the forseeable future.
At best its going to be some collector's item for me some time down the road when it is like $100 and even then I'm not sure it'll be worth that much.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Y'know, Jim, here's what I don't get.

You're decrying Microsoft for its U-turns and backpedaling from their E3 2013 pitch because they're framing it as a noble decision when they only finally budged on it due to all the backlash... and don't get me wrong - you're in the right for that. But so many people - you included - were so quick to praise the PS4 for pulling the same reversal back then. The fact is, this DRM garbage and the "jack up the price by a hundred bucks for a mandatory spy camera" was all originally going to be the case for the PS4 as well, and Sony explicitly came out and confirmed they quickly rewrote their pitch [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-09-microsofts-pr-blunders-caused-sony-to-re-write-e3-playstation-4-script] after the Xbone showing in order to avoid the same backlash the Xbone got, taking advantage of everyone's anger over it and swooping in as some proverbial hero. Everyone celebrated Sony for not going through with their original plan (you sung a song [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular/7467-To-Kill-a-Microsoft-bird] about them!), and now that Microsoft is doing the same thing, you're calling them dishonest.

Now bear in mind, I have no love for the Xbone by any means (only systems I care about are Nintendo's stuff, as usual), but I just find it irritating that it seems to be the sole target of your ire when the PS4 is just as guilty of all this crap but Sony only managed to hide it for longer, and they only came around to admitting it now because they've long secured a lead from the stunt and don't give a damn now. Fact is, they're just as sleazy as Microsoft is and they played you and everyone else like a violin. Where's your anger towards them?