Jimquisition: The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Blue Ranger said:
Good job in proving to all of us you have no god damned clue what you are talking about. Nothing you said was factual. Just a load of garbage.

Everything you said is so god damned stupid and out of touch with reality. Nothing you said has convinced any of us that Xbox One NEEDS to be always online. In fact, these features you keep mentioning are already here, on systems that don't require a constant internet connection. So where is this convenience you keep talking about?

Kinect is the only way to control and use your system? Really? Did you forget about the actual xbox controller? Of course you did, because you aren't using your brain. Your HDMI example just proves you need to shut the hell up and actually educate yourself. That isn't even a proper analogy, considering HDMI port are required to access high definition. Not to mention, Samsung isn't the only company making TVs. Nice try, buddy.
I did not say it was the only way, what I did was ask a rhetorical question, something you kind of missed. My point was exactly what you said, there is nothing forcing you to use the device, or buy a system that charges for the device. What MS said was that they system was designed to work best with kinect, not that it would only work with kinect.

And MS isn't the only company making game consoles. And they aren't even only making ONE console. Again, the point of the analogy was that you pay for the features YOU want. If you don't want them, don't buy the device. The implication that MS is forcing people to buy and XBOX ONE with a kinect is silly. There was no reason at launch to upgrade unless you simply wanted to be on the "cutting edge". Almost every game released had a 360 version. XBLA works the same as it did before, and everyone knew they would release more system options. It is silly to blame them for wanting to be a beta tester for the "next gen". If they had stopped all support of the 360, you would have a point. As such, you don't.

yogyog

Dec 2, 2013
The Kinekt is quite clearly a low-cost motion-capture device that for some reason is being sold as a gaming peripheral rather than the tool for animators and hackers that we all know it really is.

Knarral

Dec 10, 2013
hydrolythe said:
Knarral said:
The Great JT said:
cyvaris said:
The Great JT said:
Still not buying a One 'til I see something worth buying, and right now that's limited to Sunset Overdrive and whatever the next Mass Effect game is going to be.
Considering Mass Effect:The Next One will also release on PC (and Sunset Overdrive is rumored to as well) there is really no reason to buy an Xbone. Even if SO doesn't come to PC, it's not worth buying the Xbone.
My computer isn't very good...I am shamed.
Why spend $400 on an Xbone when you can spend that $400 on PC hardware so you have a better PC? I mean, a decent "above modern console grade" PC is about $700 give or take, and from then on it's just upgrading what you already have one piece at a time whenever you feel like you have the cash to spend on it. And Steam sales means, if you wait to buy games until they're on sale, you spend WAAAAAAAAAAY less on games.
Because on a console developers exactly know how far they can go in terms of graphical capabilities. They can see the limitations of a console and use them as their own. For the PC there are way too many graphic cards on the market and developers will just have a hard time figuring out how developed the PC will be for the average consumer base.

The above is the reason why there are so many games on consoles that never see their transition to PC. I could understand that games that do not rely on graphics did only have the PC to reside in, but with Sony and Microsoft's new policies to get indie developers quicker working for them on colsoles that advantage minimizes over time.

And yes, there is steam, but it just keeps getting less and less relevant over time, due to the fact that lots of games on steam are never played.

Secondly, ever tried to purchase games on last-gen consoles? You can get a last-gen console for like 150$ and most of the games only cost around 15$ (and if you are already happy with primitive graphics, check out the games for even older consoles, most consoles cost around 40$ and their games around 5$). Steam has nothing on this.
1. No they don't. See: Every single 30 fps game on Xbone and PS4 ever. They have no idea how shiny they can make it without tanking the hardware. I'm not even talking about how it's only 30 fps, I'm talking about how frequently it dips BELOW that. Also, developers up to now haven't had too difficult a time optimizing for the PC, so I really don't see your point.

2. There aren't many games that are on consoles that aren't on PC. The ones that aren't are not on PC for other reasons. Like the first party devs being assholes.

3. We're not talking about last gen machines, we're talking about current gen machines. I don't give a fuck about an xbox 360, it's a 10 year old piece of junk. If we want to go back to before last gen, the PC has emulators. For free. Yeah, I don't care that the gamecube is $25 at your local gamestop and Super Mario Sunshine is $2.25 on sale, I can just download dolphin emulator and play it on my PC for free (albeit the legality of doing so is slightly questionable, though literally nobody in the entire world gives a fuck), using a dualshock 4 instead of a gamecube controller, AND it'll run at 1080p if I decide I want it to.

Also, what do you mean most games on steam are never played? You mean all of that shit that somehow manages to find its way on steam? No, nobody is playing that. All that means is its harder for indie devs, and while I'd love some quality control on steam, that's an entirely different subject for debate. That doesn't make steam any less relevant, considering the sheer amount of people who use it. There are still steam sales where most games are heavily discounted. Also, GoG and Humble are things.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Why does a free picture from a vandal mean you win anything? People unwillingly get 'free pictures' from them all the time.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
ex275w said:
babinro said:
Shouldn't this site be flooded with WiiU, handheld console, PC games coverage while Xbox One and PS4 get maybe 1/10th the attention of those? Wouldn't this be sending a more positive message about the gaming industry through your actions?

I'm not saying for Yahtzee or Jim Sterling to stop making videos about this. By all means, point out the injustices to consumers so that we don't forget about this issue. Even the escapists podcasters have almost nothing positive to say about the current gen consoles.

It would be nice if the site could follow it's content creators own advice. Spend more time focusing on promoting positive gaming awareness through companies who make 'less evil' decisions.

On topic: Good summary piece all around.
I didn't need more convincing to never support Xbox One but there you have it.
The thing is, the Xbox One and PS4 audience is the one most willing to join gaming sites, read the news, etc. The Wii U and 3DS is more of a niche and Nintendo games do tend to attract younger audiences who won't join gaming sites and read the news. As for PC gaming... I guess they already have their news site or niche community.
Well I'm a PC gamer exclusively, and I come here daily.

Yeah, I gotta go with Babinro on this one. I'd never ask Jim to stop pointing out horseshit like this, but I'd like to maybe see it balanced with more positive articles about current or recently released games. (I don't count previews or "hype pieces" as "positive". I won't preorder games - Jim would probably approve of this - and I don't care about stuff that hasn't come out yet. Of course, that's just one person's opinion, but it's pretty much where my brain is at.)

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
"That thing you can play Titanfall on"
You mean a PC? XD
I honestly wonder how can the Xbone be doing well.... At least in my country it was bashed by EVERYONE, even the most ignorant mainstream bloggers made quick remarks about how shitty it was, and i dont know any person who has bought an Xbone.
How can it be selling? even the most "diehard" MS fans that i know hated the Xbone (some of them even switched to PC gaming for the love of not giving Sony any of their money :D). Geez, I WAS one of those MS fans, and when i saw the Xbone announcement (or perhaps before when Halo 4 was released) i knew i had to change.
Please explain me who the hell buys an Xbone :p

YouTubeYaamen

Jul 23, 2014
I'm new here and maybe this has been brought up months ago in a previous video/forum posting so, if it has, I apologize...but what annoyed me about Microsoft's handling of the Xbox One was how you could NOT buy the console on it's own last winter. (If this hasn't be covered before, I'll explain.)

It's November. Xbox One supplies are low. Demand is somewhat high. I walk into a Best Buy and lo and behold, they have a new shipment of Xbox Ones!

Terrific! I stand in line to pick one up. However, when a sales rep finally gets to me, he says they can't sell the console on it's own. I HAVE to choose a bundle package. With the console, I have to buy two games, an extra controller, a year of Xbox Live Gold and their extended warranty plan.

Well, I decide that's a sack of monkey balls so I leave and see if I can order one straight from Microsoft's site. And, as it turns out, I could.

HOWEVER, same deal applies! You CANNOT buy the console on it's own. They force you to buy two games, a year of Xbox Live Gold and a three year extended warranty. On the plus side, an extra controller was optional. Hurray for small miracles.

So I check around town and if anywhere else had Ones, it was only in a forced bundle package. So I have to assume Microsoft was forcing them to do it since they were forcing it on the people on their site.

PS4's were even scarcer during this time but they didn't impose any additional purchases when they became available. I'm sure this helped pad Microsoft's numbers but it sure didn't do anything for their already lackluster image.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nytr8 said:
For starters, We all know what turmoil the xbox 1 went through from its initial reveal under the grip of Don Mattrik, we also know how the company changed the proposition to match what gamers wanted, post Matterik.
hydrolythe said:
If they made what GAMERS wanted they would make a VIDEO GAME MACHINE, NOT A MULTIMEDIA DEVICE.
Microsoft took the gaming market for granted. The Xbox 360 was a hit in the gaming industry, and they supposed that their fan base would always follow them, no matter what (specially hardcore gamers, who eventually buy all the major consoles in each generation). They thought that their next hit would be the multimedia entertainment, and for those who didn't like it, well, "the Xbox 360 would always be there" (they pretty much said that).

They were wrong. Most non-gamers didn't show any interest in the console, and the "unashamed, egotistical, demanding, whining little b1tches, who take no responsibility for their own actions" did what any "unashamed, egotistical, demanding, whining" consumer would do: they looked for an option with their rival company. I just imagine how pale their faces must have gone when Sony made their "How to share a PS4 game" sketch.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Sseth said:
I don't really understand this episode. Microsoft are liars. Okay. The Xbox One backpedaled. Okay... Personally I'm not even that cynical, they tried one route and it didn't work for them so they changed its course back towards something that works. And then like any sane company they covered it under heaps of PR and misinformation. To think that any other company wouldn't do the same thing is just plain ignorant. So why is this such a big deal?
Pretty much because people has become insensible to the fact that companies lie to their consumers and partners, and don't even apology when they are discovered. Now present us 5 examples of companies that behaved like Microsoft and the consequences they faced.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
theApoc said:
It was never just a gaming console, they never said it was, they never wanted it to be. It, like the 360 before it, is best described as a multi-media hub. It has replaced every other device in my living room for nearly 2 years now, and yes I do actually play games as well. Changing business strategy is a part of the industry. Did they screw up in presenting the device? Ayup. Was that some plot to screw the consumer, nope.
Pretty much of the things they proposed (and backpedaled) were counter-intuitive for the gaming consumers, and the target audience for "non-gaming gaming" consoles is still pretty small. It's like trying to sell ice cream in December on the streets of New York. Not the right place, not the right time, defenitely not the right product.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
theApoc said:
[

They did not "ignore" their consumers. They catered to them.
That's completely out of sync with the results, sorry. They didn't cater to the consumers.

They ignored the fickle gaming community and got bashed for it.
Apparently, that's the market they need, since the Xbone was getting hammered otherwise. Which still makes what they did stupid.

It actually is a software thing, which is getting better all of the time. The kinect is an amazing device when considering how cheap it is to make. LOTS of researchers are using the device for some pretty crazy things, none of which have anything to do with gaming. MS should double down on it as a peripheral and ignore it in terms of gaming.
You do understand part of why they do those amazing things is that it's not tied to an Xbone, right? And that they were doing it with the weaker Kinect that wasn't forcibly included in the 360 setup? And that the applications aren't in-line with its purpose as-is? I'm not sure how that helps the argument, since they haven't integrated it in the way you were claiming. Other people actually found reasons to use it, and that's great. A shame Microsoft couldn't do the same.

Entertainment console. For all of the claims that they lied about XBOX ONE, it has been presented a a multi-media hub from day one.
And I said largely, so you're not even really arguing here. Gaming is still a huge reason people buy it. Or don't buy it, as the case may be. Now, if you want to pretend otherwise, that would at least be stating something contrary. But to point out that it's an "entertainment hub" is meaningless.

Either that, or the rest of the market just doesn't freaking want it. Take it however you want.

Gamers don't want it, and only gamers thinks PS4 is "winning" any more than Wii won last time. Units sold are great, but usage, something that has been growing dramatically for MS and XBLA, well that is something else altogether. "Eaten alive" that's funny...
Yeah, how absurd to think that being outstripped in sales, and forced to scale back nearly everything you claimed was integral to your vision counts as something bad. Again, you're not speaking in terms congruous with reality. I'm also not sure what's funny, unless you're agreeing with me that it's hilarious watching Microsoft completely backtrack on, well...everything. But I'm pretty sure you're not, so...what's so funny about Microsoft being forced to tuck tail because consumers don't give a crap?

These are not the actions of a company succeeding with the market they were courting.

And you know who realized this? MS.
You're contradicting yourself again.

Which is why XBOX ONE was not designed to be a super gaming rig with 3k worth of parts inside.
Since nobody's talking about anything that extreme a case, that sounds an awful lot like a strawman argument.

If people want 8k graphics, guess what, they will do that on a PC.
Come now, Microsoft is struggling to get 1080. And they were the ones promoting shiny new graphics. Which should hurt your argument more than help it.

Fruit Ninja need next gen? Fez? Peggle? Because those are the things that a lot of average people are playing, just like they are using netflx, hulu, youtube, redbox, etc.
Then an Xbone should sell well and not be dwarfed by the competition to the point that they're forced to backtrack on almost everything they claimed was integral.

Since that didn't happen....

But you're also stuck with the unfortunate fact that this isn't a new idea or unique to Microsoft, as both Microsoft and Sony made consoles designed as media hubs last gen

Um, no. The built a device that was right in line with what people were ready to have in their living room.
Evidently not.

Yup it plays games, and it does it just as well as PS4, anyone who tell you differently is to nerdy to matter.
Hmm...Insulting people who disagree with you is probably a poor way to get things done.

But even still, if the nerds didn't matter, then Microsoft wouldn't have reversed course as it has.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
theApoc said:
[

They did not "ignore" their consumers. They catered to them.
That's completely out of sync with the results, sorry. They didn't cater to the consumers.
The results according to who? Game reviewers? "Industry" analysts? From a purely business standpoint, neither console is lighting the world on fire, and that would be because "next-gen" was not as impressive as it was made out to be, and developers were not ready to stop what they were doing for last gen. The whole console war thing is nonsense. They will ultimately sell roughly the same amount, just like the last time. All of this "MS is screwed" hype is nonsense.

They ignored the fickle gaming community and got bashed for it.
Apparently, that's the market they need, since the Xbone was getting hammered otherwise. Which still makes what they did stupid.
Not really. The only thing they need, the same thing the PS4 needs BTW, is a better catalog of games, then the gaming community will go back to their basements and stare blankly into their screens as usual.

It actually is a software thing, which is getting better all of the time. The kinect is an amazing device when considering how cheap it is to make. LOTS of researchers are using the device for some pretty crazy things, none of which have anything to do with gaming. MS should double down on it as a peripheral and ignore it in terms of gaming.
You do understand part of why they do those amazing things is that it's not tied to an Xbone, right? And that they were doing it with the weaker Kinect that wasn't forcibly included in the 360 setup? And that the applications aren't in-line with its purpose as-is? I'm not sure how that helps the argument, since they haven't integrated it in the way you were claiming. Other people actually found reasons to use it, and that's great. A shame Microsoft couldn't do the same.
No one forced anyone to do anything. In 6 months you will be able to get a Kinect and system for the price of the kinectless system now. People who wanted to be first in line, payed for it. And lets be honest here, the kinect is not "useless", it actually is quite awesome for multi-media, so acting like it is a lead weight in the box makes no sense. Regardless, it is the IDEA behind the kinect that is important, not the device itself. And that idea, well, it is here to stay.

Entertainment console. For all of the claims that they lied about XBOX ONE, it has been presented a a multi-media hub from day one.
And I said largely, so you're not even really arguing here. Gaming is still a huge reason people buy it. Or don't buy it, as the case may be. Now, if you want to pretend otherwise, that would at least be stating something contrary. But to point out that it's an "entertainment hub" is meaningless.

Either that, or the rest of the market just doesn't freaking want it. Take it however you want.
The claim is that they lied about the intentions. They didn't. The lack of games has hurt BOTH consoles. Why? Because most people who are going to upgrade, are going to do so for games. The media stuff, works just fine on last gen. The point? It is far too early to tell what the market is for the new devices. Gaming is a huge reason people UPGRADE, not why they buy a console. PS3 got a lot of sales from being a blu-ray player. XBOX 360 got a lot of sales for XBLA and the inter connectivity to inline services. I don't need to UPGRADE because the games I play were last gen only. The fact that BOTH companies didn't have backwards comparability has also hurt them. See, you can make the flimsy "MS sucks and will fail" argument all you like. The reality, is much more straightforward and has nothing to do with the nonsense spouted by Jim.

Gamers don't want it, and only gamers thinks PS4 is "winning" any more than Wii won last time. Units sold are great, but usage, something that has been growing dramatically for MS and XBLA, well that is something else altogether. "Eaten alive" that's funny...
Yeah, how absurd to think that being outstripped in sales, and forced to scale back nearly everything you claimed was integral to your vision counts as something bad. Again, you're not speaking in terms congruous with reality. I'm also not sure what's funny, unless you're agreeing with me that it's hilarious watching Microsoft completely backtrack on, well...everything. But I'm pretty sure you're not, so...what's so funny about Microsoft being forced to tuck tail because consumers don't give a crap?

These are not the actions of a company succeeding with the market they were courting.
See above. Nothing you just said holds any water.

Which is why XBOX ONE was not designed to be a super gaming rig with 3k worth of parts inside.
Since nobody's talking about anything that extreme a case, that sounds an awful lot like a strawman argument.
Way to miss the point. Current gen consoles are never going to be able to compete with PC's from a hardware standpoint. Which is why neither one of them tried to do that. They used the most cost effective materials to incrementally upgrade the gaming aspect. Both ultimately want to go in the direction of a service as opposed to a box. They want to be able to deliver the latest content and not be dependent on hardware. You know what hasn't lagged behind? XBLA and PSN. Both have expanded and continue to do so, and do you know why? Because they are not hardware dependent. Neither company is worried about games, they want subscribers. And MS is doing just fine in that department. Games get the boxes into homes, media content makes the boxes part of the household. Short sighted gamers don't see this, doesn't change the fact that it is real.

Fruit Ninja need next gen? Fez? Peggle? Because those are the things that a lot of average people are playing, just like they are using netflx, hulu, youtube, redbox, etc.
Then an Xbone should sell well and not be dwarfed by the competition to the point that they're forced to backtrack on almost everything they claimed was integral.

Since that didn't happen....
They changed two things about the device. No constant connection and kinect is optional. The overall impact of both things is minimal.

But you're also stuck with the unfortunate fact that this isn't a new idea or unique to Microsoft, as both Microsoft and Sony made consoles designed as media hubs last gen
Wrong. Sony tacked that crap on after the fact and is not even close to offering the same level of service as XBLA. MS XBLA usage DOUBLED in the two years prior to XBOX ONE. They know exactly what they are doing and who their audience is... As support for 360 fades, XBOX ONE will grow accordingly.

Yup it plays games, and it does it just as well as PS4, anyone who tell you differently is to nerdy to matter.
Hmm...Insulting people who disagree with you is probably a poor way to get things done.

But even still, if the nerds didn't matter, then Microsoft wouldn't have reversed course as it has.
I didn't insult anyone. No one who matters gives a crap about any of this stuff. The minute differences in performance between to already outdated machines. Are you kidding me?

hydrolythe

Oct 22, 2013
Knarral said:
hydrolythe said:
Knarral said:
The Great JT said:
cyvaris said:
The Great JT said:
Still not buying a One 'til I see something worth buying, and right now that's limited to Sunset Overdrive and whatever the next Mass Effect game is going to be.
Considering Mass Effect:The Next One will also release on PC (and Sunset Overdrive is rumored to as well) there is really no reason to buy an Xbone. Even if SO doesn't come to PC, it's not worth buying the Xbone.
My computer isn't very good...I am shamed.
Why spend $400 on an Xbone when you can spend that $400 on PC hardware so you have a better PC? I mean, a decent "above modern console grade" PC is about $700 give or take, and from then on it's just upgrading what you already have one piece at a time whenever you feel like you have the cash to spend on it. And Steam sales means, if you wait to buy games until they're on sale, you spend WAAAAAAAAAAY less on games.
Because on a console developers exactly know how far they can go in terms of graphical capabilities. They can see the limitations of a console and use them as their own. For the PC there are way too many graphic cards on the market and developers will just have a hard time figuring out how developed the PC will be for the average consumer base.

The above is the reason why there are so many games on consoles that never see their transition to PC. I could understand that games that do not rely on graphics did only have the PC to reside in, but with Sony and Microsoft's new policies to get indie developers quicker working for them on colsoles that advantage minimizes over time.

And yes, there is steam, but it just keeps getting less and less relevant over time, due to the fact that lots of games on steam are never played.

Secondly, ever tried to purchase games on last-gen consoles? You can get a last-gen console for like 150$ and most of the games only cost around 15$ (and if you are already happy with primitive graphics, check out the games for even older consoles, most consoles cost around 40$ and their games around 5$). Steam has nothing on this.
1. No they don't. See: Every single 30 fps game on Xbone and PS4 ever. They have no idea how shiny they can make it without tanking the hardware. I'm not even talking about how it's only 30 fps, I'm talking about how frequently it dips BELOW that. Also, developers up to now haven't had too difficult a time optimizing for the PC, so I really don't see your point.

2. There aren't many games that are on consoles that aren't on PC. The ones that aren't are not on PC for other reasons. Like the first party devs being assholes.

3. We're not talking about last gen machines, we're talking about current gen machines. I don't give a fuck about an xbox 360, it's a 10 year old piece of junk. If we want to go back to before last gen, the PC has emulators. For free. Yeah, I don't care that the gamecube is $25 at your local gamestop and Super Mario Sunshine is $2.25 on sale, I can just download dolphin emulator and play it on my PC for free (albeit the legality of doing so is slightly questionable, though literally nobody in the entire world gives a fuck), using a dualshock 4 instead of a gamecube controller, AND it'll run at 1080p if I decide I want it to.

Also, what do you mean most games on steam are never played? You mean all of that shit that somehow manages to find its way on steam? No, nobody is playing that. All that means is its harder for indie devs, and while I'd love some quality control on steam, that's an entirely different subject for debate. That doesn't make steam any less relevant, considering the sheer amount of people who use it. There are still steam sales where most games are heavily discounted. Also, GoG and Humble are things.
1: As a game developer it takes time and research to understand at what graphical capabilities the PC of the average will be. That takes lots of time and effort. On a console, all you need to do is talk with the man behind it what the graphical capabilities of the console are and what game engines are the most suited for the console. Now it suddenly becomes a cheap and easy task, doesn't it?

2: Yeah, Japanese third-party devs are trolls, but I think that it is more due to the fact that PC gaming is a niche in Japan (90% of all Japanese PC games are Visual Novels, notable for cheap and easy production). No wonder that many Japanese games are console and handheld exclusive.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Blue Ranger said:
And again you miss the whole point. Microsoft may not be the only company making consoles, but they are the only company making the Xbox. Microsoft also pretty much said that they couldn't do an Xbox without Kinect. Yet they still did. Again you contradict yourself.

Yes, they were only making ONE console. That is, until they finally decided to give us a cheaper choice. No, people didn't actually know they would release options like this. Their only choice was the Xbox One WITH a Kinect. So yes, they were kind of forcing it on people who wanted an Xbox but not the Kinect. There was also no guarantee that Microsoft would eventually release a system without the Kinect, even though you love to assume that is the case.

Sure, people could have bought the Xbox One with Kinect and simply not used the Kinect, but then that would be a waste of money. That's why people wanted one without Kinect and Microsoft finally caved only because they were getting owned by Sony in sales.
Again, what they said was the XBOX ONE needed Kinect to be 100% functional. It was designed to use voice commands, facial recognition, etc. An HDTV is designed to display hi resolution content, that doesn't mean it won't play standard def content, just that the standard def stuff won't look as good when blown up to a larger size. You can use XBOX ONE without kinect, but their intended vision of alternate control mechanisms, won't work. Regardless of how good or bad the kinect may be, their intent was innovation, not some anti-consumer crap. THAT is the point.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think Harmonix would had embraced the Kinect even if it had been announced as an optional accessory from day one. They have made the best Kinect games (because they actually work) in the past generation. And even before that, they made great games that required slightly more interaction than just pressing buttons and triggers in a controller: Rock Band.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Blue Ranger said:
theApoc said:
Blue Ranger said:
Oh, look, it's one of these guys who doesn't have one god damned clue about anything. There is nothing about these features that you mentioned that required an always online internet, contrary to what you want to believe.

Also, these "alternate control peripherals" are still there. People can still get a Kinect if they want. However, having an alternative control method doesn't mean it should be a requirement and the only control method. Think about that before speaking.
You are pretty sure of yourself for being completely wrong. I applaud you for that.

Always online is required if you want it to happen automatically and to be as unobtrusive as possible. Every internet connected device I have is "always on-line" you know why? Because it is more convenient that way. Claiming that there was some MS conspiracy to screw the customer by wanting constant connectivity is silly. It makes it easy for them to keep the machine up to date, to deliver content when the device is not in use, and to diagnose issues. Just like any other internet connected PC.

Does the kinect need to be used to operate the XBOX one? I mean is it the only way to control the thing, or to play games? Complaining about them charging for an included peripheral is plain silly. Hey, when I bought my TV, I didn't need 4 HDMI ports or a USB port for playing music and pictures, do you think Smasung was trying to screw me by adding those in and charging more than some other brands?

You truly are clueless. Must be boring in summer school.
Good job in proving to all of us you have no god damned clue what you are talking about. Nothing you said was factual. Just a load of garbage.

Everything you said is so god damned stupid and out of touch with reality. Nothing you said has convinced any of us that Xbox One NEEDS to be always online. In fact, these features you keep mentioning are already here, on systems that don't require a constant internet connection. So where is this convenience you keep talking about?

Kinect is the only way to control and use your system? Really? Did you forget about the actual xbox controller? Of course you did, because you aren't using your brain. Your HDMI example just proves you need to shut the hell up and actually educate yourself. That isn't even a proper analogy, considering HDMI port are required to access high definition. Not to mention, Samsung isn't the only company making TVs. Nice try, buddy.
Look man you really need to cool your jets. Your really walking a thin line here with the insults and bad attitude. Take a deep breath and step back from this thread. It's foolish to get warning and suspended over an Xbone thread.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Good video, Jim. That is one of the reasons why, even after they flip-flopped on their controversial "features", I still won't buy an XBone180. The other reason being that I don't care for their intended "future of gaming": the camera, the all-in-one media box, sports, skype, television, lack of game sharing, and having to check in online for permission to play games I would have already owned.