Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
The first episodes were dreadful to me, but I'm appreciating them now, keep at it!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
OK the Rosa Parks line made me laugh. I do think your getting better but the over the top arrogance etc. I think is going to be a bit old. Since the start of each episode, for me, is just waiting for arrogance to end so the show can properly start.

Also pretending to be a character who is self-indulged is even going to be taken the wrong way by some people. Especially if this is the first time they have seen you, and I really don't think you should refer to them as "fucking morons." Even if this is meant to be "in character" it doesn't really come of as that because your "character" won't care what viewers think only the "real" Jim who has crafted such a character.

FelixG said:
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Jim fails at funny again.
Exactly.

Jim, I hope you read this you pretentious fuck. You are not funny, you are not entertaining, you are a bigger hippie than MovieBob, and because of your pretentious-ness you have failed to be even bearable to watch yet again.
Then dont watch and go away...Or would that be too simple?
The Escapist makes money via the publishers club and adverts. The level of publisher club members and adverts is directly linked to the number of people who view the site. If there's a video not "pulling its weight" then its in the Escapist best interests to be told of this. Of course not watching would have a similar effect but by posting it gives some indication of where a particular went wrong and The Escapist can use these feedback when deciding what new videos to put on its site.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
AceAngel said:
The point Jim is trying to raise (which I think he could have done better by the way, not a nay sayer, just saying the video could have expanded better in this area) is that although Duke is the King of his world, no one questions him, not a single person, not even the enemies.
He is supposed to be the undisputed best thing ever in his world. Like all macho men, they feel that way too. This is the point. Clearly the enemies don't see that, or they wouldn't be doing it. He is not a good character, he is just a character that propels the gameplay, which is over the top, like Duke. He would be a much worse character if he was more serious without all the stupid lines, and did all those over the top things. And I know people think it would be cool if he was lame thinking he was over the top, but that would be a different game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

Jim, I hope you read this you pretentious fuck. You are not funny, you are not entertaining, you are a bigger hippie than MovieBob, and because of your pretentious-ness you have failed to be even bearable to watch yet again.
I don't even...

... how is Movie Bob a hippie? xD How is Jim a hippie even? Have you seen a hippie?

In fact, calling someone a pretentious fuck and a hippie is rather contradictory. And if he was unbearable previous times, why are you still attempting to watch?

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
CINN4M0N said:
If what you say is true, it's everyone else who is missing the point of Duke. Pretty much all of his fanbase does take him seriously and act like he's a great character. People parrot off "I've got balls of steel." and "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum." like they're scripture or something. People do treat Duke as an idol, so if you're sure that they aren't supposed to, then nearly everyone is missing the point.
I wouldn't say they take the character seriously, just the franchise and the love of it. They like the fact that it's ridiculous and so referencing his corny lines is meant to be funny in an ironic kind of way.

They love the character, but I don't think they seriously take him seriously.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
CINN4M0N said:
I disagree, Jim, I think you're missing the point of Duke.

His jokes are supposed to be shit, but he's still not supposed to be called out for it or portrayed as unfunny or less cool because of it. He's meant to still be idolised in his world, which makes the joke funny for us outsiders looking in. We don't idolise Duke, we laugh at him and the morons in his universe for still idolising him, and get to feel kinda badass that that's our character.

We go into the game already knowing that he's a total doofus. If the game took the time to tell us this, it would lose some of its impact. We just accept the world as silly and fun, and love it for that.
My sentiments exactly.

Woodsey said:
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

I don't even...

... how is Movie Bob a hippie? xD How is Jim a hippie even? Have you seen a hippie?

In fact, calling someone a pretentious fuck and a hippie is rather contradictory. And if he was unbearable previous times, why are you still attempting to watch?
I think he meant to say "Hipster," but failed because he hasn't even the most rudimentary grasp of the concept.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
This would actually have to be the very first Jimquisition I've agreed with, kudos this makes sense.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Son of a...

Jesters of the moonless sky!

Nobuo Uematsu's "Jesters of the Moonless Sky" from Final Fantasy IX is playing in the background. Dear God, the nostalgia, the awesomeness...

Hmm, whazzat?
The episode?

Eh, I like both the Duke and the Hedgehog, but I never took either of them seriously.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
I dont think people understand what he's saying about DN, its not that he's a serious character, it's that in the game world he's taking to seriously, as in nobody in the world looks down at him. Anyway, I'm not saying to agree with him, I'm saying to discuss what he meant, not what you misunderstood.
Basically what you said.

Anyways, I completely agree with both analyses. And Jim--er, his "persona" in this episode is a perfect example of why. He's intentionally insufferable, but it's done in such a way that he's still insufferable, instead of amusing.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
I don't see what's wrong with the show. Maybe some of you guys need to step off your high horses and stop taking everything so seriously.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Jim's style of comedy is slowly growing on me.

However, I don't really agree with what was said in this episode. I think Duke is fine as he is, a character so outrageous that he has no need for any actual in-game irony to not be taken all that seriously. He's essentially the Chuck Norris of gaming.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
WTF is this doing on Escapist ?!?!

troll more ?

stopped watchign after i cleand my eyes to realize what's going on

EDIT:

I don't know wtf - but why google linked Jim Sterling with CONDUIT 2 ... google gone mad ?

I re-checked that the conduit 2 review was not done by jim sterling ... u have my apologies

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
Littaly said:
People take Duke Nukem seriously? God, I hope not o_O
This. I always thought Duke was such a great parody that we (as the audience and the real world) simply became part of it an played along. There's no way he is meant to be taken at face value, and he is so overblown as a stereotype that the only thing someone can really do is accept and play along with this gimmick. If you don't, then you don;t really understand the Duke.

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
I liked his points on Duke Nukem, but its really just the same point that Yahtzee made about people giving characters to much 'respect' I really think that Yahtzee should have been the one to talk about this, not Jim.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Espsychologist said:
Wait a sec, he was trying to be FUNNY?.. I thought the whole thing of his show was to be as much of an unlikable.. Arg.. if i finish that sentence i fear the mods will have something to say, short version: If hes trying to be funny then this attempt is just sad, if hes trying to alienate 80% of his viewers hes doing a spot on job at it, ive given this show a fair chance, ive forced myself through every ep up to this point, albeit on my ipod where the resolution is low enough that i cant tell that hes wearing sunglasses inside (seriously?) and i have not enjoyed a single moment of it, maybe im not the target audience maybe im looking at it the wrong way or maybe jim just does NOT belong on this site.

With reguards also to the "fucking idiot" comment, you say that we've missed the point but its clearly the otherway around, no one was EVER taking you seriously, we ALL know this is a persona that you've made up to get your point across, the PROBLEM is that this persona is so extreamly unlikable and downright iritating to watch that we just simply dont like you, i believe it was our own loud mouth brit (You know, the good one) who said that delibratly trying to be annoying is still annoying, and the fact that you know your doing it just makes it 10 times worse, so now not only do you make terrible videos, but you've also demonstrated arogance to a point my mind fails to comprehend, i dont just dislike your videos anymore jimmy boy, i dislike you.