Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Dale Cooper

Apr 12, 2009
Ok ok, the last 3 videos have been good, I was wrong near the start, Jim just needed time to find his feet.

More clips+Less MS Paint is much better.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dulcinea said:
brimstone1392 said:
Ya know what...

It truly saddens me that I have to add this to what would otherwise be a mockingly-and-frankly-FUN-post, but here it goes:

THERE IS NOTHING (and I mean NOTHING) IN THIS WORLD SO SERIOUS THAT IT CAN'T BE LAUGHED AT. And, YES, games fall into that category - ALL OF THEM! Seriously, are you all a bunch of Jihad-ists willing to forgo your humanity over a cartoon? (<--too soon? If so, let me know!) Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... fuck it. Bring on the flameburger!
Anything can be laughed at? Sure. You can laugh at anything. But why would you want to? I was raped as a child and I don't think there's anything lol worthy in that. An Australian solider was shot in the head yesterday and died on the spot. Their body is being transfered home so his family can bury him. Care to point out there joke there? I knew a girl whose mother and father died of AIDS. She was orphaned and led a less than ideal life in foster homes that saw her and her younger sister abused to the point of hospital trips. I see nothing worth laughing at there either. A divorced man in Sydney (near my home) kidnapped his daughter and murdered her, before then committing suicide. Nothing funny in that. One of my friends committed suicide after years of bullying in school. Her family asked the school to hold a service so that the young girl's friends could say goodbye. Someone decided to start laughing during the minute of silence. This caused my friend's mother to break down in tears, as those who bullied her in life were continuing to mock her in death. Funny?
Personally, I can't see anything funny in them. But, people made some damn funny jokes about 9/11, and that shit was pretty serious.

Also, you're comparing people getting pissed off at a game to those very tragic examples of yours. And worryingly enough, I'm not actually surprised that it's you saying it, Dulcinea. I'm starting to wonder if you're paid to do it or not.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dulcinea said:
Thyunda said:
Also, you're comparing people getting pissed off at a game to those very tragic examples of yours.
If you had read the post you may have noticed their words: "THERE IS NOTHING (and I mean NOTHING) IN THIS WORLD SO SERIOUS THAT IT CAN'T BE LAUGHED AT." I don't see anything there that would suggest they were solely referring to video game anger. In fact, the next lines of the quote tell us they weren't.

I find reading the available information well before making comment on it helps resulting dialog.
Alright, Sergeant Sarcastic Tone, if you want to take that attitude, I'm game. I do believe he said "There is nothing in this world so serious that it can't be laughed at." He did not specify if he meant one lone crazed hermit, or the average person. So yes, technically everything CAN be laughed at, whether deliberately, unintentionally, or even if the laugher understands what he's laughing at. Perhaps the joke is in the delivery, Dulcinea, and while perhaps it is not the event itself being laughed at, it's the wording. Or even the fact that you're not supposed to laugh at it.
Frankie Boyle made his career off of laughing at things deemed unlaughable.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I didnt even bother watching the whole video. I cant stand Jim, I feels hes trying way to hard... and the jokes and whatnot suffer from it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dulcinea said:
Thyunda said:
So yes, technically everything CAN be laughed at
I'm honestly wondering if you read the comments you're quoting, for I must wonder if you did how you missed the bolded part;

"Sure. You can laugh at anything. But why would you want to?"

Unless you quoted my comment simply to agree with me?
I have to read shit twice to get the full story. Otherwise, you're editing it AS I'm reading it. Which I doubt.

So essentially, what I'm trying to say, is everything you posted AFTER the quoted section was entirely pointless and served only to stall the flow of the conversation and to generally make the poster feel bad about said tragedies. What exactly did your post contribute?

And as for why would I want to? Imagine living without ever having negative emotions. Sorrow and pain hurts. Laughter doesn't. If everybody laughed everything off because they couldn't feel bad, then you wouldn't feel bad. Impossible, but perfect.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dulcinea said:
Thyunda said:
You don't seem to understand how these things work. You see, when someone puts forth an idea and openly asks for challenge, going so far as to say 'bring it on,' they must expect and accept said challenge(s) when it(they) arrive.

If you're done? Enjoy your day/evening.
But your challenge not only agreed with him, but also challenged a facet of his argument that DID NOT EXIST. The fact that you actually typed a lot of words to argue a point that wasn't there says more about your urge to argue than it does about my reading skills.

So, drop the arrogance. You're actually wrong on this count. You fucked up.

Sidremus

Mar 14, 2011
ur totally right! there is a difference between comedy and satire! saying DN should be more comedic and ironc is plain stupid. for a matter of fact THAT REALLY IS the one big difference between Serious Sam and DN, SS is comedy, he is a joke telling slapstick character (even with banana jokes!) DN again is a satire of all those markus pheonixes and those guys from killzone 2! he takes him self serious because the real douches from GoW etc do so too! thats the actual joke!
DN also pics on a few other prominent gaming themes, like the hole thing with first person characters not reflecting on the players actions (picking up poop (go watch the trailer)). but thats off topic

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Looks like you took your own advice Jim ;), over the last two episodes I have enjoyed watching a fair chunk more as you have begun overplaying yourself, even now; watching over the first few eps you seemed a little too serious to be saying what you were, looks like your show is here to stay though and I'm glad it's perked up since the first.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Hello Jim,

In order for you to think something is not meant to be taken seriously, does it have to point out "Hey! Hey! Look how ridiculous I am!"? Because when it comes to Duke, I think you're supposed to notice the ridiculousness yourself.

Kian2

Oct 20, 2010
I have to disagree with Jim in his assessment of Duke Nukem being something that is meant to be taken seriously. I think he is pretty clearly (and has always been) a satirical representation of 'cool'.

Satire works best when it's subtle; when you don't acknowledge that you are being ironic but instead play it straight. You have to let the audience be the one to realize that something so over the top is not what you are actually trying to go for. If you need to point it out (as in the case of Serious Sam, where even the character design tell you not to take it seriously), then it's not really satire. It's just making fun of a ridiculous concept.

It's also less engaging, because you're not asking the audience to think about what they're doing, but pointing out for them what they are supposed to think.

But then, great works of satire generally suffer from people not catching them. Consider 'A Modest Proposal' for an example (Jonathan Swift's satirical essay from 1729, where he suggests that the Irish eat their own children).

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Ugh, Jim... you've finally done it. You've made me like this series. You've gotten steadily better in the past few weeks. Jokes have gotten better, production value has gotten better, and the intro song is still the best on the escapist. As long as you keep it up, I'll keep watching.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
while I don't agree with most of what he says at least he's covering different ground this time and not just echoing old sentiments and he did make a couple of good points. This series is gradually getting better and it gives me something to do on a boring Tuesday evening but it still has a long way to go.