Jimquisition: Ubisoft - A Sad History of PC Failures

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Only reported instances of good PC ports:
-Assassin's Creed Director's Cut: none of that horse-ing about, and fast-travel. Yes x10.
-Beyond Good And Evil was alright.
-Prince of Persia: Sands of Time still runs on modern OS, considering that neither Warrior Within nor The Two Thrones do, it's pretty impressive.

That is all. I agree with 100% of what you said Jim. Uplay is f***ing horrendous.
AssCreed 1 had horrible optimization, Beyond Good and Evil was locked in letterbox widescreen which was shitty back then and is even shittier now because it's still letterboxed so you get BOTH black pillars AND everything is stretched up the arse
I don't know about Two Thrones, but Warrior Within very much does run on Win7.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CBanana said:
With Saints Row 2, CD Projekt did the absolute worst PC port I've ever seen. That was the only time I had to use a mod, an ini file and timing a part of the game with a stopwatch to get a game to be playable. It still wasn't the most stable game. Also, for some reason gameplay was capped at 30 fps while cinematics were at 60 fps which is utterly bizarre.
Saits row 2 was THQ wasn't it?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
As I'm hoping people have already pointed out, the Watch_Dogs PC mods make the game run infinitely better. To the point of being criminal. I have a top of the line PC that beats every single one of Ubisoft's 'recommended' requirements for Watch_Dogs, and after dealing with 3 install attempts due to bugs with uPlay, once I got the game going it would frequently bounce between 30fps and 5fps on HIGH settings.

Now that the mod is out, it sets you to Ultra, which my PC is supposed to be able to run, and I think all of 3 times it's dropped below 60fps, each time in a very specific set of conditions. In the fastest car, while it was raining, in the most building dense part of the city. If I don't use that car it literally never happens.

Meanwhile Ubisoft has tried to claim it will break the game, which makes no sense because all the mod does is use the existing patch system to turn on a different set of shaders, DOF filter, and disable the idiotic level of pagefile cache checking the game does. That can't effect gameplay. Again Ubisoft shows absolute disdain and arrogance at the PC user like we're some sort of mindless chaff that takes what they say at face value. Except, you know, the modder made a point to clearly denote what he did, how it worked, and didn't infringe on uPlay's EULA either by using the existing patch file system.
piscian said:
It reminds me of Dark Souls in the opposite fashion. From Software basically said "Hey guys we really dont have the talent or resources to make a PC version, but you asked for it so me made it. Sorry for the bugs" and they did a muuuuch better job on part 2, but the difference is they were honest and humble about it. I really don't get why Ubisoft has to be such dicks about everything. Why not simply be nice and garner fan support?
It was also basically the first functional PC game From ever made. And when modders found a way to fix some of the bugs with framerate, in particular Blighttown, From recognized his work and assured that nobody could be banned for using it. And when DS2 got a similar fix (though not as needed) and VAC started redflagging people, From went through and helped undo the bans, making sure only cheaters and dll injectors got bans.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I agree, and I'm not sure what else there is to say. I would like to mention that that Ubisoft's latest update for Watch dogs apparently breaks it's compatibility with the what I will call the ?E3 Mod?

Ubisoft is making a whole bunch of reasons for this but I do have a theory of my own. This is pure speculation on my part but do hear me out and let me know what you think.

Also there's no way of saying this without sounding like an elitist so you have been warned.

We already know that companies like Ubisoft don't like PC gaming, but the question is why.

I think the main reason why companies don't like the PC market isn't so much to do with piracy but more to do with control and freedom.

PC gamers have more control and freedom with the PC were as with a console the companies have more control; at least they think they so.

They don't seem to take into account just how easy it is to mod a console or even what a modded console can even do. But even so, the PC still offers more freedom to the consumer. I think this is why companies prefer you to game on a console.

However, Over the past decade PC's have gotten better while consoles have gotten worse. I don't even think this is an opinion I think it's a provable fact in all honesty.

This, I think is the reason Ubisoft dumb downed the graphics. I don't think Sony paid them to do it, I just think they did because they didn't want to show how much better a PC was then a new current gen console.

That's my two cents.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Vault101 said:
Saits row 2 was THQ wasn't it?
THQ was the publisher. CD Projekt were responsible for handling the port to PC. You can see CD Projekt in the credits for the PC version of Saints Row 2:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/946770-saints-row-2/credit

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
JET1971 said:
Ubi didn't make FC1, It was Crytek that made it and Ubi just published. It was after FC1 that Ubi took over the development of the series leading to Crytek telling them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and making Crysis with EA as a publisher. Yeah Ubi was so bad a developer told them to go fuck themselves.
Correct. That's exactly why I wouldn't buy it; Ubisoft would get the money for it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Thanatos2k said:
canadamus_prime said:
Thanatos2k said:
canadamus_prime said:
Catasros said:
this is all a bad joke, right? A bad, tasteless joke? Right? Ubisoft can't possibly be this much a bunch of moronic bastards, right? No?

. . . Is there ANY game publishers out there that we can still trust? At all?
In simple terms
about sums it up.
Game publishers are dicks. All of them.
Explain CD Projekt Red and Gog.com then.
GoG is not a publisher, they're a online retailer or digital distribution outlet. As for CD Project Red... jury's still out on them.
Digital distribution platforms is publishing at this point.

How is the jury still out on CD Projekt Red?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-2-dev-stops-pursuing-pirates/1100-6348579/
CD Projekt CEO and cofounder Marcin Iwinski has released an open letter to the gaming community revealing that the studio will immediately stop identifying and contacting pirates.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-2-dev-will-never-use-any-drm/1100-6365165/
CEO Marcin Iwinski said it will never again use DRM.
CD Projekt Red thinks DRM doesn't help.

"Every subsequent game, we will never use any DRM anymore. It's just overcomplicating things,"
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/17/cdp-on-free-witcher-dlc-next-gen-drm-concerns/
"But at the end of the day, the game [counts] ? and not the money. Because the game will make the money if it?s good. Some people think it?s the other way around, and in the short run ? business-wise ? it makes sense. ?I will sell this small thing for three dollars. It will make me $300,000. It?s good money. I will show more profit.? But at the end of the day, how many fans have you lost? And that?s just a very simple mentality we try to avoid.?
They have cared only for gamers for years.
No, no they're not. Not in the same sense that say EA is a publisher at any rate.
And when I said that the jury is still out on CD Project Red, I meant with me personally, not in general because I don't know a lot about them.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Did anyone else expect the "PC" in the video title to be referring to political correctness? Because they're pretty shit at that too.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
JET1971 said:
Ubi didn't make FC1, It was Crytek that made it and Ubi just published. It was after FC1 that Ubi took over the development of the series leading to Crytek telling them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and making Crysis with EA as a publisher. Yeah Ubi was so bad a developer told them to go fuck themselves.
That's even worse - Ubi were so bad, a developer preferred EA over them. Fucking EA. That says a lot.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
canadamus_prime said:
No, no they're not. Not in the same sense that say EA is a publisher at any rate.
And when I said that the jury is still out on CD Project Red, I meant with me personally, not in general because I don't know a lot about them.
GOG.com belongs to CD Projekt. As for the good things they did:
The Witcher receiving 2 free DLCs and then an Enhanced Edition with everyone who bought the game earlier being able to upgrade to EE.
The Witcher 2 standard retail edition (not limited, not collectors, bog standard) having a shitton of goodies in it, the game receiving a miriad of free DLC and the whole Enhanced Edition thing happening again.
Everyone being able to activate their copies of the Witcher games on GOG.com and getting all the extra goodeis for no extra cost.
GOG.com in general - totally DRM free, do giveaways every sale, great customer service.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
I was expecting Jim to use that to slay two dragons with one bolt.

That is how the saying goes, correct?
Lol from now on yes, that is how that saying goes. Way better than two birds.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RealRT said:
canadamus_prime said:
GOG.com belongs to CD Projekt. As for the good things they did:
The Witcher receiving 2 free DLCs and then an Enhanced Edition with everyone who bought the game earlier being able to upgrade to EE.
The Witcher 2 standard retail edition (not limited, not collectors, bog standard) having a shitton of goodies in it, the game receiving a miriad of free DLC and the whole Enhanced Edition thing happening again.
Everyone being able to activate their copies of the Witcher games on GOG.com and getting all the extra goodeis for no extra cost.
GOG.com in general - totally DRM free, do giveaways every sale, great customer service.
GoG is still not a game publisher in the same way that Steam is not a game publisher. Valve is the game publisher that runs Steam.

Ok, MOST game publishers are dicks then.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
TheNewGuy said:
leviadragon99 said:
Yeah... it is rather annoying when a publisher blatantly treats PC gamers like second class citizens.
Really? I find it rather annoying when PC gamers treat anyone who isn't a PC gamer as a second class citizen.
Yeah, that is rather stupid when some PC gamers do that, I don't approve of that sort of behaviour.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Damn, Zach, you have some truly iconic zingers today!
And my iconic catchphrases are available as DLC[footnote]Content may be on-disc but locked away because we feel like it[/footnote] if you pre-order from Gamestop.

Catasros said:
this is all a bad joke, right? A bad, tasteless joke? Right? Ubisoft can't possibly be this much a bunch of moronic bastards, right? No?

. . . Is there ANY game publishers out there that we can still trust? At all?
They read as petty and spiteful to me. I know I'm not alone, here, either. I don't know if they actually are, but I don't think they're morons. Image is important, though, and if people see them this way, they might as well be.

Pretty much every time they open their mouths on something, I expect their spokesperson du jour to put on some sunglasses, say "deal with it," and drop a microphone.

I don't hate them, mind, but I do get the strong sent of dickweed from their general direction.

Thanatos2k said:
Average PC hardware is better than the "next gen" consoles? YOU DON'T SAY! Gotta keep the stupid people ignorant, or else they might notice something is amiss!
The real question is, would it matter much? The 360 and PS3 were getting sold, and more importantly, people were buying the games for them. Do they really expect people to give a crap? I doubt most people are buying consoles because they think their power rivals that of a decent gaming rig.

Trishbot said:
Meanwhile, the ONLY two Ubisoft games I was interested in the past decade, Prince of Persia 2008 and Beyond Good & Evil, STILL have no follow-ups to their cliffhanger finales.

But we've gotten eight Assassin's Creed games in 6 years.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure all the recent PoP games combined sold less (all platforms) than one Ass Creed sequel (on a single platform).

Ubisoft said it wasn't interested in games it couldn't franchise. What I think it meant was it wasn't interested in games it couldn't make ten million sales on annually. And who can blame them? If you can't sell 10 million units, you might as well take your ball and go home. Or blame piracy.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A more succinct beatdown the world has not seen. Ubisoft is annoying on consoles, but they're utter cunts on PC.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zak757 said:
Did anyone else expect the "PC" in the video title to be referring to political correctness? Because they're pretty shit at that too.
we don't say "PC" anymore...we say "not being a jerk" the former is now considered too...."harsh"...it has negative connotations

[sub/]how's that for being meta?[/sub]

Magmarock said:
Also there's no way of saying this without sounding like an elitist so you have been warned.
eh if they want to call you an elitist for being honest thats their problem....

....I'm not entirly sure PC gamers have more control...I mean sure theres mods, which might be your entire point...but were still subject to DRM...even if its freindly faced DRM like Steam

Zachary Amaranth said:
Ubisoft said it wasn't interested in games it couldn't franchise. What I think it meant was it wasn't interested in games it couldn't make ten million sales on annually. And who can blame them? If you can't sell 10 million units, you might as well take your ball and go home. Or blame piracy.
as long your game proftits it shouldn't be an issue you don't need to be COD to turn a profit....

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Vault101 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
as long your game proftits it shouldn't be an issue you don't need to be COD to turn a profit....
Sooo... is Ubisoft one of those companies owned by shareholders who've never held a console control in their entire life? You know, the kind whose experience with PC gaming only extends to playing solitaire? Because if it is, it explains the retarded hunt for profits at the expense of the customers good-will.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Grimh said:
Have they even shown the pocket watch ingame yet? This is just ridiculous.
Not in-game, but they showed it in the reveal trailer...I think? Swear I remember it being in the trailer. Not the most iconic item if I can't quite remember its presence.

Aiden Pearce's hat is NOT iconic. His jacket is more iconic than his hat. If his hat were a top hat and came with a retractable monocle, then MAYBE it'd be ironic. For me, though, I want the jacket