Jimquisition: Ubisoft

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I agree with 98% of what you said Jim. But I will not worship you, and Assassin's Creed 2 was awesome...once I cracked it.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Swifteye said:
How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?
You do what those corps are always bitching about--you buy it used. *evil grin*

EDIT: oh, right, low content.

Ummm...

Jim is the new god? I for one welcome our new trenchcoated overlords.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
I knew from the start where that ending monologue was going... and yet I still kinda enjoyed it.

Good work, Jim.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think anyone worships Ubisoft. The people who keep buying their games do so, I believe, because at some point in the past of their major franchises, a game came out that was really good, and the consumers keep hoping beyond hope that that will happen again and somehow Ubisoft will fail to screw them over with the DRM this time. Not gonna happen, but hope is a powerful thing.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I didn't even know Rayman Origins was released the same day as AssCreedRev... Rayman was poorly marketed then they complain about how not a lot of people buy it? for shame...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Waffle_Man said:
Worship Jim? When is the last time he interacted with me?
When was the last time god spoke to you? You can't expect that kind of interaction. I'm just glad he's finally solved his identity crisis and realized that he is in fact God.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Eomega123 said:
Thank Jim for Jim. And yes, would everybody kindly stop bitching on forums and then buying the game anyway? I haven't bought a single EA, Ubisoft, or THQ game since I found out what they were doing, and I've still managed to have a great time with some great games from companies that don't screw over their customers.
Pretty much this. I don't know how anyone can be excited for a Ubisoft or EA game anymore, every time I've bought a game from them in the past it's always been a miserable experience due to their obsessive, controlling, and derisive behavior. The sheer audacity of their actions and contempt for their actual paying customers is unbelievable.

I've long since stopped buying from any corporation that tries to screw me over and I've been much happier for it. Sure, I miss out on the big titles, but at least I don't have feelings of self contempt for giving money to idiots. They deserve nothing.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Good episode. Nothing I didn't already know but having a proffessional say it is pretty strong validation for my own personal boycott

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Say no to DRM or online activation. And say no to anything published by a public company. Executives, board members, and stockholders are all parasites, they don't deserve your money.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yay, Assassin's Creed 2 DID suck oh so much. Finally, a professional opinion that agrees with my own on that one. Also, let us not forget the debacle of Beyond Good and Evil HD. I don't know why no one online has pointed it out in news stories or reviews, but that port was utterly riddled with game breaking bugs and camera problems. When Ubi Soft never patched it, it was revealed that the game was made under contract, the team was disbanded, and they would never fix the many basic problems with it because they didn't feel like it.

Rayman Origins was awesome though.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Holy smokes Jim, after that ending, you're about an industrial accident from becoming a super villain...(Preemptive Strike Edit: Archonic Energy told me it's from Big Bang Theory, Thanks AE!).

In other, more useful commentaries: I almost fully agree with you on Ubisoft being the horrible horrible horrible game company that they are but I don't think it's their fault.

It's your fault! Not "you" specifically, but "YOU" gamer who continues to support the company. "YOU" person who bitches about these things in forums and then swings out and picks up Assassins Creed Revelations the next day.

Now, if you're fine with Ubisoft's practice, then I have no problem with you purchasing their games. I'm not going to judge the person who doesn't mind the DRM and chooses to support the games; that's well within your rights to do. But "YOU" who complains about it and then tells Ubisoft that you're OK with it by purchasing their products (the only true voice). "YOU" need to wake up and realize that "YOU're" the problem.
This is a nice ideal to have, and normally I would agree with you. However, with Ubisoft, Activision, THQ, EA, and basically every publisher who isn't Valve (that said even they take the fucking piss sometimes) all pulling similar amounts of objectionable bullshit, refusing to buy games from companies that piss you off is like saying that you never want to play anything other than indie games made on a tight budget ever again. Not that there's anything wrong with indie games, but I don't want to restrict my gaming horizons so far just so I can be safe from being called a hypocrite on internet forums.

Maybe that makes me weak, and the sort of person who probably deserves to get ripped off and strung along by greedy corporations, but, there you go.

OT: Great episode Jim, but the fact that you called my favorite game of all time shit means I have now had to put a price on your head. Just a heads up. ^.^

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The last new game I bought from Ubisoft was Assassin's Creed.

The last game I bought from Ubisoft was Assassin's Creed 2.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Waffle_Man said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Waffle_Man said:
Worship Jim? When is the last time he interacted with me?
Jim Sterling loves you. He is your light.
Then why does he always wear a dark coat?
It's to keep his all powerful brightness of his godly albino body from causing you to become combustive from sheer awesomeness.

...I really need to get to sleep. XD

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I worshipped Jim before it was cool.

I think my only Ubisoft title at this time is Far Cry. I understand some people, generally from the sandbox lovers posse, liked Far Cry 2, but I found it more akin to a spittoon, and I'm just wistfully thinking of how nice it would be if the TBA Far Cry 3 were more like the original.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Swifteye said:
Ubisoft seems like a pretty bad company. But Rayman seems to be a pretty good game. What a bind. How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?

Between this. EA and capcom it's feeling like we should stop buying games for moral reasons.
You should just buy the game. The thing is, buying a game that does everything right sends them the message that "hey, I like games like this... and I'm willing to buy good games you don't infest with DRM and rip-off DLC."

At the same time, don't buy the games that do things badly (most Ubisoft games).

For example, I hate Capcom. They rip people off with DLC (charging for cheat codes and difficulty modes? Really?!), and they whore out their franchises and piss off their fans.

But I'll buy Resident Evil: Revelations, because it does everything right, has no online passes, no on-disc DLC, no "superior version" coming in a few months, and it returns the series to its roots instead of watering it down to appeal to the mindless masses.

That doesn't mean I'll buy Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City or RE6, though. I love RE games, but I buy the ones that do it RIGHT to support the titles that Capcom handles WELL.

Ubisoft should be the same way. Rayman Origins is innocent enough; it is the sweet child with the terrible parent. You are allowed to buy that game and support THEM, and maybe that'll make the parent company wake up and go "oh, maybe our games and our customers deserve more respect after all."

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I don't give a monkey's shit about UbiSoft (post 2005), Jim has already said all the nasty things I think about Ubi, aside from their shitty DRM, they have only released one single game I'm interested into and that's Rayman Origins and no, I'm not counting their stupid re-releases or their shitty ports, I'm talking about new games.

Now, I've already rented Rayman Origins for the Wii (I'm not paying $77 for that game, God bless my country) and I freaking loved it, imagine my love/hate surprise that the game would be released for the PC. On one hand, I no longer needed to salivate at the thought that I needed a super computer to emulate the Wii just to play this game in my computer with a proper controller (aka, the 360 controller) and in HD resolution, but on the other hand, their shitty DRM.

Granted, they already said that the disc release would not include a single bit of nasty DRM, while the digital release would only require a 1 time activation, what does that mean is anyone's guess, they got away with it with From Dust and Driver San Francisco.

I just hope this doesn't turn like another Crysis Warhead, where I buy the game, and later I find myself hunting it's "better" version in questionable torrent sites due to it's shitty DRM.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I get annoyed whenever I heard someone say that rayman origins wasn't worth 60$. It's a gorgeous game with fantastic music, and it has great gameplay and is very long and challenging. Just because it's 2D it isn't worth 60$? Yes, the release timing was abysmal, but it was still worth the money.
Also, I hear Ubisoft changed the DRM in Driver SF so you only had to be online upon log-in, so maybe they're learning?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Too bad Ubi gets all the shit thrown at them and Blizzard gets to walk away clean because they thought about making up some sob anti-cheating story.

Oh and Jim, sorry, but your new intro is ... lacking in the personality department. :(