Jimquisition: Ubisoft

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
RobfromtheGulag said:
I worshipped Jim before it was cool.

I think my only Ubisoft title at this time is Far Cry. I understand some people, generally from the sandbox lovers posse, liked Far Cry 2, but I found it more akin to a spittoon, and I'm just wistfully thinking of how nice it would be if the TBA Far Cry 3 were more like the original.
Why did the hipster burn his tongue? He drank his coffee before it was cool.
I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty much universally thought to be bad. I mean, I didn't hear anything good about it, and I certainly found it boring and repetitive and slow and tedious and cyclical and dragged out and monotonous and.... never mind.

Also, why are THQ evil? I must have missed something. And I don't care if they are evil, I'm still getting DoW3.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Lol, Jim I thought the ending would be tasteless there for a while (atheist here BTW), but then it moved right back up to hilarious xD

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I accidentally clicked "report" on this thread. I'm horrified, because I agree with Jim most heartily this week! I have a boxed retail copy of Assassins Creed 2 and have never even bloody installed it because I've got a crappy Virgin Media cable broadband connection that likes to drop out on you, so why even bother? Sod you, Ubisoft!

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Hey, Rayman Origins is good and it didn't have DRM to speak of. It was perhaps a little too expensive on launch, but everything is too expensive on launch. I'd put it's price at the same as any Mario game, and he always gets top billing on the Wii or DS.

What I'm saying is that it was worth the same as what any real good game should be worth. Whatever that is.

As for your argument that it was supposedly holding back some other game I've never heard of I can't exactly care. Or that it came out at the same time as a bunch of other games that I couldn't afford. I could get one game, like most consumers, and I picked the one I wanted the most. That's all you can really do.

And now I know that you can do that to the Pixie's skirts. Huh. Now I gotta show that to my husband later.

Tturbo

Mar 10, 2011
You're british and I'm french... Yet I'm going to approve your message (not to the point of worship). Ubisoft has just been screwing gamers around these last years, it's really annoying. It's sad that they realeased Rayman Origin during this period, it's a good game !
Also to refer an earlier episode since the first time they decided implementing DRMs in their games I haven't bought a single game from Ubisoft (Stopped at Assassin's creed 1) ! Good boycott for good reasons !

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Well, if anyone from Ubisoft ever reads forums like these, I'd like them to know that there is at least one gamer who doesn't own any Ubisoft games and won't buy any, even the well reviewed games like the Assassin's Creed series and Rayman Origins simply because of Ubisoft's terrible DRM practices.

I actually would like to play the AC series, but I won't, plain and simple. From all I hear they are great games (mostly) and I would probably enjoy them. Unfortunately I won't, simply because Ubisoft has about the worst DRM practices in my opinion.

Sorry Ubi, but here's one person you'll never see one red cent from.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Ubi is really selling a 99 cent game for 40 dollars...?
Are you sure its not 99 cents for some special deal promotion thing and will soon bump back up to something higher?
I'm sorry to question you, it just seems....beyond evil to do something like that to their fanbase.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
There are no gods. Only Jim. (Bioshock reference)

LOL, but as for today's topic: I'm surprised Jim didn't mention the cherry on the bullshit sundae, which is the "SIGN IN TO PLAY" thing with Ubisoft games. With no other games have I had to make an account to play than the Ubisoft games Assassin's Creed II (I agree that it is "shit," because I certainly don't care enough to play more than 2 hours of it.) and Rayman Origins.

Seriously, WHAT IS THE POINT, UBISOFT?! (other than to bug me to the point where you have to make a damn good game in order to persuade me to buy from you, of course)

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Well that logical jump took longer than I thought it would. So are you two separate entities or is this like a uh Holy Binary where you are the same person but not?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What sort of miracle and afterlife plan can I get for a few years of worship of the Almighty Jim?

Do I get a bonus for lifetime membership, like getting ahead of the line in answered prayers or being a general in the undead armies?

Do I get a discount for a deathbed conversion?

Will I be expected to slaughter enemies if Jim wills it?

Benjamin Rosa

Feb 2, 2012
Great Video Jim.

It's shame what Ubisoft did whith Rayman, one of the best platform games in this generation: not waiting to release it after Christmas when the release schedule is weak and with a price tag of 50$ so it doesnt have any problem to be a top seller. Why would some kill their own masterpiece with such a stupid marketing idea of releasing it with Assassin's Creed, a game that sells millions with just having a name and a few trailers?

Ubisoft used to be cool, now it's nearly like Activision or Electronic Arts.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i'd ***** about Ubisoft, but .....

only game 'from them' i ever owned was No More Heroes, which was both fucking awesome, and .... no longer under them anyway :D which sucks for them since every thing else they crap out, isn't even worth a second glance from me

plus, they're french, and i have an irrational loathing of the french

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
copycatalyst said:
I don't always laugh at Jim's hyper-ego persona... but this time, he had me cracked up. Good episode too. Such a shame about how Ubi treats their customers, because they do put out a lot of quality titles.
This. Luckily I jumped on the console bandwagon just as publishers are screwing over their legitimate PC customers. Now Steam has gotten good and Origin is starting to give the impression that it's not all crooked; I might jump ship, once again, to PC this time now all this "one-use-code nonsense is become nothing more than an inconvenience; and £40 is becoming extortionate for a new release.

Ironic, too, as publishers prefer customers on a console where less damage can be done by the less-honest players. But since it's becoming more and more of a chore, why don't I just go all in where I can reap better rewards on PC for the same amount of chores as console, for APPROPRIATE prices.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Bvenged said:
copycatalyst said:
I don't always laugh at Jim's hyper-ego persona... but this time, he had me cracked up. Good episode too. Such a shame about how Ubi treats their customers, because they do put out a lot of quality titles.
This. Luckily I jumped on the console bandwagon just as publishers are screwing over their legitimate PC customers. Now Steam has gotten good and Origin is starting to give the impression that it's not all crooked; I might jump ship, once again, to PC this time now all this "one-use-code nonsense is become nothing more than an inconvenience; and £40 is becoming extortionate for a new release.

Ironic, too, as publishers prefer customers on a console where less damage can be done by the less-honest players. But since it's becoming more and more of a chore, why don't I just go all in where I can reap better rewards on PC for the same amount of chores as console, for APPROPRIATE prices.
i think if steam properly fixed their offline mode(ffs, steam guard basically should of fixed any security issues regarding offline mode) that things will get much better. once you can play games offline, shit be real.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Swifteye said:
Ubisoft seems like a pretty bad company. But Rayman seems to be a pretty good game. What a bind. How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?
The question should be "How do I support the people who made it without supporting the publisher?"

Unfortunately you can't.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I wish people weren't stupid enough to continue supporting companies that continue these practices.

I wish the companies could be held accountable for their actions.

I wish we could get responses upon videos like these from the companies themselves. It'd be nice to get some answers beyond PR speak.

Lotta wishes, but I don't see anything changing in the foreseeable future.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Great video Jim.

Ubisoft are major pricks. I've personally bought no pc games published by Ubisoft because of their drm policy however, I have bought console games in the past though not for over a year. However I won't be buying either until Ubisoft stops being pricks, but given their French that might be awhile.

Anyway I'm off to sacrifice a goat to the Great Jim.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Now, I've said a few times that I don't have DRM. Because I don't. Pretty much every DRM has some flaws with it right now. But most aren't incredibly horrible as far as I've seen and the system itself could work to people's advantage if a company bothered to get it right.

The reason I say this is because there is no excuse for Ubisoft's DRM. The always-on crap is beyond stupid. Limit activations shouldn't even be an issue, especially when combined with the freaking always-on DRM that will tell them if someone is playing a game from two places at once. They aren't enough to make me think that DRM in itself is evil, but dear god they make a great arguement for it being so.

Also, on a small side-note, the best part of Jim's little last part was that's basically how it is with Jesus. People thank god for Jesus but Jesus is god and there's somehow a holy ghost and oh bugger I've gone cross-eyed.

But at this point I'm waiting for Jim to do an episode about these freaking captchas. He's always been one against using a code to keep stuff from the customer, yet his content is on a site that actively gives incentives to not posting with captchas which make no sense half the time.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Once upon a time i was looking forward to Settlers 7, but after the whole DRM incident, i never bought it, even when i found it on sale. Didn´t even download it, just decided never to play it, as there´s plenty of other games to play that doesn´t contain bullshit DRM. But that´s the only time i´ve been hit by Ubisofts decisions as i don´t really find any of their games interesting. Except for Rayman Origins, which looks awesome (why wouldn´t it be worth full price? It looks better than any of the games released that month, it´s sad that quality games are doomed when released in busy months, just for being different than the competetiors...).