Jimquisition: Ubisoft

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Ubisoft

The Jimquisition has criticized many game publishers, especially Electronic Arts. Jim Sterling's wise judgements have been just and fair, but not altogether inclusive. EA isn't the only weasel in the lavatory, and it's high time that Ubisoft got a kick up the arse for its litany of crimes. The EA of Europe thinks nobody has caught onto its BS, but one man has. One man has the insight that everybody else in the whole world lacks. God bless that man.

Watch Video

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Holy smokes Jim, after that ending, you're about an industrial accident from becoming a super villain...(Preemptive Strike Edit: Archonic Energy told me it's from Big Bang Theory, Thanks AE!).

In other, more useful commentaries: I almost fully agree with you on Ubisoft being the horrible horrible horrible game company that they are but I don't think it's their fault.

It's your fault! Not "you" specifically, but "YOU" gamer who continues to support the company. "YOU" person who bitches about these things in forums and then swings out and picks up Assassins Creed Revelations the next day.

Now, if you're fine with Ubisoft's practice, then I have no problem with you purchasing their games. I'm not going to judge the person who doesn't mind the DRM and chooses to support the games; that's well within your rights to do. But "YOU" who complains about it and then tells Ubisoft that you're OK with it by purchasing their products (the only true voice). "YOU" need to wake up and realize that "YOU're" the problem.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Get rid of the "always online" shit altogether, Ubisoft, Origin.....STEEEEEAAAAAAAM!
Generally it irritates me that single player games need online interaction, Creative Assembly jumping into bed with bloody steam did/has/does/will piss me off a certain degree.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Ubisoft seems like a pretty bad company. But Rayman seems to be a pretty good game. What a bind. How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?

Between this. EA and capcom it's feeling like we should stop buying games for moral reasons.

Archonic Energy

Feb 8, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Holy smokes Jim, after that ending, you're about an industrial accident from becoming a super villain...(did I steal that joke from somewhere? I swear I didn't make it up but I can't for the life of me figure out where I got it).
Big Bang Theroy.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Okay Jim... You ara alpha and omega, the beggning and the end. Simple eh?! To stay on topic fuck Ubisoft! I'll never forgive them for selling me SC Conviction (pc) with an unplayble multiplayer and blaming the user. No update was made. The sad part was that pirates used DMZ and could play it.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I swear, Beyond Good and Evil 2 has become the new Duke Nukem Forever. The only difference is that 3D Realms didn't hold DNF for ransom for a decade.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
I don't always laugh at Jim's hyper-ego persona... but this time, he had me cracked up. Good episode too. Such a shame about how Ubi treats their customers, because they do put out a lot of quality titles.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I want to see an episode about Valve. I know they are perfect in every way, but that will make it more entertaining. I didn't know that Ubisoft pulled half of this stuff, so an episode on Valve should be enlightening.

Also, autotheism is a new bit for you, Jim. Kudos for keeping it fresh.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I don't think I can worship anyone, man or god, that thinks Assassin's Creed 2 was shit :(. I'm sorry, Jim, I can't. I can thank and admire you, but not worship.

OT: Wow, I never knew Ubisoft did some of those things. I mean, I knew about the whole DRM thing and holding Beyond Good And Evil 2 for ransom (...and dragging poor AC longer than it should've, forgetting WHY people love the games), but WOW a PORT for 40x the cost? Makes me sick that they can actually get away with that crap. All the news I hear about Vita are getting better and better...

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
I think I enjoyed that Rayman: Origins pixie scene a bit to much lol.

good thing i don't have a single game from ubisoft, wait nvm Dues ex :HR.

still only 1 game.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
Thank Jim for Jim. And yes, would everybody kindly stop bitching on forums and then buying the game anyway? I haven't bought a single EA, Ubisoft, or THQ game since I found out what they were doing, and I've still managed to have a great time with some great games from companies that don't screw over their customers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
It's your fault! Not "you" specifically, but "YOU" gamer who continues to support the company. "YOU" person who bitches about these things in forums and then swings out and picks up Assassins Creed Revelations the next day.
Just to be fair, it doesn't seem to matter. If they don't sell, Ubisoft blames piracy and feels validated in harsher methods. Not to mention, Ubisoft is one of the few big companies operating at a loss right now.

Sure, it is certainly stupid to whine about how wrong this is, then buy the game anyway, but Ubisoft have been losing money, and they STILL Think this is a working model.

If they keep this up, they will go down. And should that happen, I'm willing to be the rest of the industry blames it on piracy.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I don't really pick up any of Ubisoft's products on PC, me being an unwashed filthy member of the console gamers, so the whole stink on DRM loses some of its sting for me. But still the whole thing with Beyond Good and Evil 2 is a serious dick move. Also, not sure if trolling about Assassin's Creed 2, Jim. For what it's worth 2 was pretty damn good in my opinion.

Captcha: Statue Heduchai. It has spoken!! We shall erect a statue of Jim Sterling and we shall make it out of Heduchai! Now we gotta figure out what the hell Heduchai is....

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Jim Sterling is literally the only person, real or fictional, whose egotrip outbursts I actually find fun. Thank Jim for Jim!

Also, Ubisoft are dicks and I will not give them a single cent in the forseeable future. The one thing I hate is that they own several franchises I actually like. Fortunately, a friend of mine bought Anno 2070, so I was able to borrow it from him and play it (awesome game, by the way). Now if only one of my mates would buy Heroes 6, I'd be all set...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
tippy2k2 said:
Just to be fair, it doesn't seem to matter. If they don't sell, Ubisoft blames piracy and feels validated in harsher methods. Not to mention, Ubisoft is one of the few big companies operating at a loss right now.

Sure, it is certainly stupid to whine about how wrong this is, then buy the game anyway, but Ubisoft have been losing money, and they STILL Think this is a working model.

If they keep this up, they will go down. And should that happen, I'm willing to be the rest of the industry blames it on piracy.
Yeah, but eventually they have to run out of capitol, right?

Oh Dear God...did Ubisoft make a deal with the devil so that they don't run out of capital?! It would explain their practices...

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Couple of points I'd like to make.

DRM can only be aimed at paying customers and game crackers. The latter being a comparatively minute group of people.
Pirates don't crack games, they just download them. So from the get-go DRM is bollocks because it's obviously aimed at people who are paying to play these titles and a tiny amount of people who will bypass the DRM anyway because they're bored.

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken Ubi's CEO and Gamerip-off-Loft's CEO, are brothers. Hence that bullshit mentioned in the video.

*bows down*
*presents the head of a goat as a sacrifice to the great god Jim*