Jimquisition: Vertigo

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Vertigo

Let's look for a playable woman protagonist in a videogame that doesn't rely on the same pool of restrictive stereotypes as every other playable woman protagonist.

Watch Video
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if theyre created by the developer and not the player?
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
So the only female character in gaming that breaks out of the usual female character template is a fucking DINOSAUR? That's pretty sad Games Industry.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
I don't know about you guys, but Vertigo's pretty sexy. Check out dem glutes!
 

Arfreid

New member
Aug 13, 2009
86
0
0
Hmmm how about Xel'lotath from Eternal Darkness... then again... 'she' and Vertigo have too much in common.

http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27lotath
 

Tombsite

New member
Nov 17, 2012
147
0
0
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?
They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Well then that kind of defeats the purpose of it doesnt it :L

Especially if you take into the account that some games genuinelly do take part in for example ambiguous genders, multiple and or unspecified genders, Persona series being one of them and a lot of other japanese developed games, the west is kind of behind in that sense really.

So the question asked here really has multiple questions attached if you take into the account that it has to be black and white, one way or the other.

Think about the middlefinger given to gamers when faced with the fact that their asskicking protagonist of Metroid was in fact a girl, did that in any way actually affect the enjoyment of the game? No it did not and no it rarely can and no it rarely even should.
 

Tombsite

New member
Nov 17, 2012
147
0
0
Arfreid said:
Hmmm how about Xel'lotath from Eternal Darkness... then again... 'she' and Vertigo have too much in common.

http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27lotath
She is not player controlled.
 

88chaz88

New member
Jul 23, 2010
236
0
0
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Can we all stop with the "If 'X' doesn't matter..." defense? It's completely ridiculous.

'X' does matter, else we wouldn't have so many examples of one subset of 'X' yet so few of the other. It clearly matters yet it damn well shouldn't, and the only way we're going to stop it from being important is to have more diversity.

And diversity matters.
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Tombsite said:
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?
They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.
Thats up for debate however and not an objective fact, especially if you just consider that to be the one part that matters to a player, regardless if its being marketed to you as such. Its a woman, shes attractive.
I like to compare this debate to the new steam controller rage:

oh my god look how bad this controller looks it must be shit.

While im thinking instead: I wonder what it feels like to use it for play though since i will use my controller for a game and not to look at.
 
Dec 14, 2009
15,528
0
0




I like to think that The Boss and Ammy fall into this category.

Have you seen The Boss? She's built like a fucking horse, and Ammy is...

Well she's Ammy!
 

Chessrook44

Member
Legacy
Jul 3, 2020
556
0
1
Country
United States
DTWolfwood said:
What about Lizzie from Rampage?
When she "dies" she turns back to human form, shuffling off screen in naked, blonde-haired, generally-attractive-as-far-as-we-can-tell form. So that might be why she doesn't count.
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
88chaz88 said:
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Can we all stop with the "If 'X' doesn't matter..." defense? It's completely ridiculous.

'X' does matter, else we wouldn't have so many examples of one subset of 'X' yet so few of the other. It clearly matters yet it damn well shouldn't, and the only way we're going to stop it from being important is to have more diversity.

And diversity matters.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sarcasm

There ya go, the joke flew right over your head like WOOSH :U
 

wwmcfar

New member
Oct 12, 2009
30
0
0
There's an indie game on the PC called The Cat Lady by Harvester Games with a female protagonist that pretty much qualifies. She's not exactly a strong female character as she's suicidal and borderline insane but she's a unique character with great motivation.
Seriously it's a great game and it's been green-lit on Steam.
 

Weresquirrel

New member
Aug 13, 2008
319
0
0
Of Darkspore's 4 female characters, at least 3 of them fall under the same blanket as Vertigo. I'd argue the full four, but Andromeda is fairly feminine looking, and as near as I can tell from her back story is a bit of a goody goody.

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Jinx

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Seraph-XS

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Arakna
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
Monxeroth said:
Tombsite said:
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?
They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.
Thats up for debate however and not an objective fact, especially if you just consider that to be the one part that matters to a player, regardless if its being marketed to you as such. Its a woman, shes attractive.
I like to compare this debate to the new steam controller rage:

oh my god look how bad this controller looks it must be shit.

While im thinking instead: I wonder what it feels like to use it for play though since i will use my controller for a game and not to look at.
Look you can split hairs as much as you want, but it's pretty hard to deny that a massive majority of female characters are designed with the intention of people trying to make them look good in mind. And a good looking character isn't a bad thing, a lot of people really like Mitsuru from Persona 3 and she's hardly lacking, but good looking for female is become ing what "White, brown haired thirty something" is for male. There is nothing wrong with a character like that but the sheer number of them is ridiculous and something ELSE would be nice.