Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Let gaming's biggest douchebag explain to you how games aren't films, films aren't games, and David Cage will never be a moviemaker.

Watch Video

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
From Destructoid to The Escapist! These guys are awesome at finding people (from Yahtzee to the Extra Credits team to The LRR guys) and now Jim! Welcome to The Escapist!

Slangeveld

Jun 1, 2010
O.0 Intriguing person. Uh. And yes, video games aren't movies/otherwayaround.

Was this rant inspired solely by Heavy Rain? :O

AngryMongoose

Jan 18, 2010
Movies are not videogames, and videogames are not movies!
Movies are videogames not, and videogames are movies not!

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
I like the idea, but I don't know about the medium. It would work better as an article. His points were good, but I got distracted by his accent and glasses.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.

SlayerN

8th Place
Nov 26, 2009
I wonder how he will diversify himself from the other, similar shows on the site.
I liked it this week and hope he can keep up the momentum.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I don't know who this guy is.... but I like him! Looking forward to the next episode, whenever it is!

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Interesting......going to wait on this one till he starts getting good questions coming in.

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Hmmm... Decently put argument... Somewhat interesting and novel orator... I am intrigued to see more of what this series and what Jim can offer.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Yay, a yahtzee and a movie bob hibred. cause that wont be troll feed.

Anyway, this one didnt impress me, but I dont like the argument. I'll have to wait and see with the next vid.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
o...k...

I don't get it. Why do we need more videos people rambling into a microphone and calling it "commentary"? We have Yahtzee, Movie Bob (twice a week), and Extra Credits.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i know that you are doing this for longer and you are great at it and you do have a place a this site etc.

the only thing that annoyed ME at this episode was that you weren't clear at who you were talking (at the start.) were you talking to us gamers? i hope not, because the only reaction i had to you saying that games arent movie line, was NO SHIT!!, is there even one person on this site who disagrees with that line?

if you were talking to the developers and producers, then you have a great point.

so yeah it was a good video, but at the start i just wasn't clear to who you were talking.

Funky Flump

Jun 24, 2010
I liked it but maybe as an audio feature more-so than a video he just stood there, i feel it could be improved by adding some more pictures or another backdrop just my opinion

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Yeeeah I got his point, not sure his point needed to be five minutes long, though. Loved the Zorn and Thorn music though so he gets some kudos for that... I guess
AngryMongoose said:
Movies are not videogames, and videogames are not movies!
Movies are videogames not, and videogames are movies not!
You made my point better than I did, well done sir!

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Interesting stuff, but he either needs to cuss a lot less or not at all. Otherwise, with his fast method of delivery and accent it's only a matter of time before the Yahtzee comparisons start coming in.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Alright, Jim's on this site now. This episode quite nicely expands on points that were touched on before, but I think he does so quite well. Jim did make a couple audio flubs, though, such as: "Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of film." I recommend that Jim be a little more careful in the future.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
You're like an odd mix of Smithy from Gavin & Stacey and Bulk from Power Rangers. Either way it's nice to see another Brit doing something here. I want to see this man in a threeway debate between himself, Yahtzee and Moviebob. Throw him in the deep end. The Extra Credits crew can host and commentate and we'll all sit back with the corn of popping.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
There seemed to be a lot of dicks around this video.

Also, I liked it, though perhaps an introduction may have been better to start off. Just half a minute might've been nice.

Calumon: I like his glasses. :3

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
He makes a good point but the show doesn't look very inviting. It's just very simple and stark with a guy in front of a wall. That's perfectly fine for getting the message acrost and can work as a show but I find it kind of off-putting when combine with a personality that rubs me the wrong way a bit.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
What the hell? I don't need a rambling rant about video games not being movies. I already knew that.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
He's trying too hard to sound like an ass.

He has some decent point, but his delivery isn't great. That being said, movie Bob should keep an eye on his job, there is now a replacement hanging around.

Overall, I'm not that impressed. I'll give him another chance tho.

Nukey

Apr 24, 2009
I think this would work better as an article.

He makes some very good points and conveys his ideas quite well, but it was slow, lacked much appeal outside of his argument and overall was pretty bland. I'd personally prefer to read what he has to say instead.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The content of the video? Good, if not anything at all new to The Escapist. As much as I love the intelligent discussion of videogames and welcome new faces to The Escapist it would be great if they at least brought something new with them.

The video itself? Meh.. sorry, but it's just terrible. There's a reason why Yahtzee, MovieBob, the EC crew, etc. don't just stand in front of a video camera recording themselves for their video segment each week.

AngryMongoose

Jan 18, 2010
Eh. He made good points, but this just wasn't as entertaining as Extra Credits or Movie Bob. I'll keep watching though, coz it looks like it might get better.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Welcome Jim! I hope this turns into a long and healthy relationship between you and The Escapist. As for the commenters...*runs to fallout shelter*

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Good points, horrible presentation. I don't want some self-righteous internet persona getting on top of a soapbox, turning on his webcam, and yelling at me for 6 minutes while standing still. Terribly preachy and driven by an unlikable host. I've seen better on youtube.

I have to go watch some Ashens to get this guy out of my head.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Ugh. I detest Jim Sterling's style and delivery, but;

1. My preferences do not matter a damn if everyone else disagrees; and,
2. He's right.

My only gripe would be this: He should have brought up the developers doing it right. You can't bring up this topic and not discuss Clint Hocking, or Jason Rohrer. These guys have been eloquent voices for making games their own art form.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Meh, it was ok I guess. I will decide whether I like him or not after a few more episodes.

Also, I thought he was supposed to answer user-submitted questions? :S

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Have to agree with some of the others here, your points are fine, but I feel an article would be equally effective in this situation. Also it'd help to begin delving into certain ideas and examples of video games using their unique features for artistic expression. Otherwise a great listen, so I'll continue to follow, even if you just feed us what we've already and wanted to hear.

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
Bit of a whiner to be honest. Basically said games aren't movies. The title was enough.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Maybe for the next video, try actually making some points. The entire video was just "games aren't films" repeated over and over. Well, aside from the fact that most people can pretty much figure that out on their own, how about illuminating how they're different, and how certain approaches to films don't work in games, and why they don't. Because as it is, this episode wasn't funny in the slightest, and didn't make a single interesting point that added to the whole video games v films discussion. It's neither here nor there.

Yahtzee does troll humour ten times better and Extra credits does insightful commentary ten times better, so right now this show seems pointless.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Games are not films and films are not games, yeah, what else is new? I`ll wait till he has something interesting to say.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
I hope this guy ups his ante. Lately Escapists new weekly entries have been quite dull, save Extra Credits, which is quite awesome and well done. Jim doesn't add anything new to the roster...

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I... what?

... well, obviously, I just... what?

It would have been an interesting article, if a kind of obvious one, but the video felt sloppy, like a YouTube rant. Splicing in random clips doesn't make it entertaining enough to watch.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
o...k...

I don't get it. Why do we need more videos people rambling into a microphone and calling it "commentary"? We have Yahtzee, Movie Bob (twice a week), and Extra Credits.
Well.. Maybe because more is better? Because people want something to chose from or even *grasp* watch it all.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Yay, a yahtzee and a movie bob hibred. cause that wont be troll feed.

Anyway, this one didnt impress me, but I dont like the argument. I'll have to wait and see with the next vid.
I thought the same thing if I'm honest.

On to the video though... Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of films you say?? Then what is Steven Spielberg the Steven Spielberg of? Think you meant games there. I'm done randomly nit picking, onto the more important stuff.

Iron Lightning said:
Jim did make a couple audio flubs, though, such as: "Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of film." I recommend that Jim be a little more careful in the future.
Damn ninjas...

This seemed like a rant that anyone with any insight into gaming could have made. The fact that Nintendo started as a toy/card company is well known and you simply spend more time saying that everyone is stupid for wanting games to be like films as opposed to explaining how games could go in their own story telling direction. You basically ranted on for 6 of my precious life minutes calling me an idiot for an ideology that I don't share. Assuming it wasn't aimed at me then and you've just spent 6 of my precious life minutes telling me things I already know only in a patronising and condescending manner.

Swear less, flesh out ideas, stop repeating the same basic concept using different words, improve editing and talk about things that people may not know about and you may become worth watching.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Maybe I missed something, what where his points? I mean his original point that are new and not 5 years old and I already knew? Because basically all I heard was a slurred English accent cussing about fucking films and games for 5 fucking minutes. Games aren't fucking film, fuck.

That is not a new or original point, and a waste of an intro video.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Good lord, that was awful. I would give up my Silent Hill collection to see Yahtzee physically spank this man. He stumbled over his words, pretended to be angry so poorly it made me sad, and the glasses look like a completely transparent attempt at creating a signature "look."

I'm not usually the person to be snotty about these types of things, but I've come to expect a certain level of quality from Escapist shows, and GOOD GOD THAT WAS TERRIBLE. I even AGREE with him and I hated the show.

You know what? Scratch that. I want to see Lisa Foiles hit him with the Irritating Stick. This guy takes himself WAY too seriously. I will give this show another episode to be fair, but that was truly awful.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Hmm. Ok, I'm on board.
The only problem with that video was it seemed a little too long, ended up repeating himself a bit, but good points well made. Let's see what happens when he gets some questions to tackle.

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
Don't know what to think at the moment, he seemed a little condescending to begin with but about half-way through that changed. He does seem a bit too much like Yahtzee and that will probably hold him back here. Also his first video does seem like an easy topic to cover but as a first effort, not bad.

I'll wait until future videos before I judge him.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Interesting note, you said that hojeo ko- however you spell his name was called the steven spielberg of movies. Wouldn't that make more sense to say he's called the steven spielberg of games?

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
Pretty good for a first episode, but if he wants longevity on this site he will need to diversify his topics of choice, I've heard the Video game movie argument on thee Escapist before. But overall I'm happy with this. He Could tone down the rage a bit.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Also why is it cool for the video to have crudely drawn penises in them, but a poster gets banned for that? I'm not saying I want to be able to post crudely drawn pictures of penises. I am say I don't want see any while hearing about the finer points of the artistic medium of games.

foriamthefool

Jun 7, 2010
id say meh at best IMO

topics been kinda beat to death

and at least in my mind when they say say "more like film" its about the prestige factor more then any thing cuz you talk to some one about a story in a game a lot of people are just gunna pifft it with out taking a look or if they take a look its almost a "awwww look what hes trying to do" *pats developer on the head* sorta deal..

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Brainst0rm said:

lol yeah my thoughts exactly. I mean he has some interesting points I guess... but no more interesting then the general populace on this website.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
It's kind of a shame that the point you are making was already clear after five seconds. Or, well, simply after reading the title and thinking about it for a few seconds, since it's bloody obvious. The video was okay, for someone who is saying the exact same thing for five minutes.

If you want to remain interesting though, you'll need some better topics, and some better thoughts about those topics. This might sound elitist, but the Escapist has been spamming us with in depth content for years now, so simply stating something provocating is not going to be enough.

..At least, for everyone who doesn't just watch Zero Punctuation. But that's still 10% of the whole community!

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I probably won't make many friends with this statement. Why does everyone on this site have to ramble about how "video games are art"? I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just really, really, tired of hearing it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sorry but not a fan, a guy standing in front of a wall with a mic and random MS paint art is something I'd expect on the lower tiers of thatguywiththeglasses and not the quality of stuff on the escapist.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
vivster said:
i smell a new entry to extra consideration
I truly hope not. Nothing was said here that about 95% of the escapist population couldn't have said given a microphone and some aviators. In fact, I have aviators so just give me a microphone and a paycheck and I will crack one of these out as regularly as you like. Hell, 2 a day seems plausible.

May 5, 2010
Kinda felt like he was just stating the obvious. I mean, he didn't say anything that hasn't been said a million times already by Yatzee, Extra Credits, or Moviebob. Kind of like how what I just said has already been said by about a million other viewers.

Also: Tommy Wissau's dick? Kind of unnecessary. And hypocritical of the Escapist, since I was once but on probation for using the phrase "my wang". Fun fact.

ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Not really sure what the show's supposed to be about. I mean in general. Is he going for an Extra Credits-esque commentary? He doesn't really have the charisma to pull off a video show. I'll give it a few more weeks to get focused, but i'm not terribly impressed.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Hmmm... Jim's monologue went on for too long and my attention span has its limits. (I hated the monologue in Apocalypse Now)
He also made some mistakes. "Hideo Kojima is being called the Spielberg of films" Shouldn't that be 'of games'?

But as I started to stare into the screen out of boredom, without blinking my eyesight became blury. And them Jim looked like a big fly with those glasses! That cranked me up!

He has talent, the movies just need more effects/funny pictures and less "chubby guy in glasses doing a monologue".

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Glad to see Jim Sterling doing more than a column here now. Hopefully, this is weekly show.

I do agree with his statements concerning Heavy Rain and the fuss about "movie-like experiences" in games. Not all films are good, and trying to sell a game as one, much less banking on it, is a huge mistake.

The same can be said of developers who say that their games are like films. Films have next to no involvement by the audience, outside of discussing the plot of the next sequel. However, if you give us an interactive experience that surpass films of a similar caliber, why not lean on that a bit? Show that games are better than films in their own ways?

May 5, 2010
Radoh said:
Alright, there was way too much genitalia in this.
I'm glad someone else thought that. I thought it might have been my American Squeamishness acting up.

I really hope you aren't American, too.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Wow.......And people around here call MovieBob a pretentious, opinionated dickhead?

Try and say something New and, in any way, interesting without sounding like a pretentious badass-wannabe, and maybe I'll watch after the second episode....

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, this one came out of nowhere. The show could be interesting. It seemed like Yahtzee suddenly got fatter and put himself on camera reading Extra Punctuation. The guy did fumble a couple of lines, so he should work on that. He did make some good points though. Overall, decent first effort. It will be interesting to see where the series goes from here.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I can't stand Sterling's approach.
I do agree that David Cage is an affront to self-respecting game designers everywhere, and I do agree with the fundamental point of interactivity and cinema being two entirely disparate media.
But I can't stand Sterling's approach.

It's trite, it's exhausting, and due to the sheer hyperbole of the delivery, I find myself rejecting what arguments are presented.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
There was, um, slightly more cock in this video than I was prepared to see.

Also, he didn't really say anything that Yahtzee hadn't been saying in a more coherent way for the last three years, did he?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Wow.......And people around here call MovieBob a pretentious, opinionated dickhead?
What, do people not call Yahtzee the exact same thing either?

Nov 5, 2007
Not that I disagree with the point being made but... god damnit Jim Sterling. I left Destructoid and never looked back after Anthony Burch left because there wasn't anything for me left there and I absolutely hate Sterling's attitude (whether I agree with him or not). I don't really see him fitting the "escapist" style but whatever. I guess I will just ignore it.

Damn.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
Exactly, i can fully imagine this person asking random people on the street what they think of the games industry and what it can achive, hilarious and intrigueing

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Kinda preaching to the choir weren't ya now, fella?

Did the Escapist just fish up some random video from Youtube or what? It's a little too late for April Fools, people!

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
webby said:
vivster said:
i smell a new entry to extra consideration
I truly hope not. Nothing was said here that about 95% of the escapist population couldn't have said given a microphone and some aviators. In fact, I have aviators so just give me a microphone and a paycheck and I will crack one of these out as regularly as you like. Hell, 2 a day seems plausible.
just because his first rant was rather generic doesn't mean he hasn't some good ideas about other stuff
i'm looking forward to see more of him

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'm glad they hired Sterling to be a counter point to Portnow and Extra Credits. Now I don't have to be the one making the counter arguments.

Would have been nice if I'd gotten paid for my efforts, though...

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
What, do people not call Yahtzee the exact same thing either?
They call him "opinianated", yes (and rightly so). But he's neither pretentious nor a dickhead.....well not to viewers who aren't Developers, Publishers or Fanboys anyway....

madriani

Jul 16, 2009
He should do something to make the videos more visually appealing. An interesting backdrop would be nice.
Other than that, I think he could do well on this site.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Radoh said:
I'm glad someone else thought that. I thought it might have been my American Squeamishness acting up.

I don't think that it matters if I'm an American or not, I just want to hear intelligent conversation, with as little nudity as possible, is that too much to ask for?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Is it considered gauche to respond to your own feedback here? I don't know. Ah well. Too late now.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far, even the negative stuff. It's obviously important to hear why you suck from people who will properly explain it to you. Having isolated the key criticisms, I will address them:

1) Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.

2) The visual presentation: One of the reasons I went with having me on the camera is the very fact that we have shows like Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation. I don't want to look like those. Future episodes will strive for more cut-away content and I will be getting better lighting up in this business as soon as I can. I'll be working hard to make it both different and interesting.

3) That line flub: Dunno how I let that slide. No, that was shit on my part.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
I agree with you Jim.
Movies are not "superior" to games or vice-versa because you cant compare them. They are totally different , one is a 2 hours video and the other one is a 10 hours game in which you can play with your friends.
Seriously , why compare them?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Interesting video, but do we really need yet another guy going off on a tangent and yelling from their pedestal? Because we've already got three [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation] of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits] those [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies].

While this is probably the guy's style, I don't really see how it helps anyone. It's ramble-y, doesn't really have a main point (at the end when he said "Stop giving a fuck what Ebert says", I couldn't help but think "We're not talking about 'games as art' though"), and it is literally just a guy standing on his pedestal. We've got plenty of that on YouTube (and enough here).

Overall, while I agree with some points that the video made (games should try to elevate themselves above other mediums), I don't really see the point behind it all. All he has said in this video was "stop trying to be movies", he doesn't go into depth about how they are trying to be movies, why they are trying to emulate movies, and what can be done to stop them from copying movies. You don't have to address all of those questions at once, but as it all the guy said was "Stop being movies, it's detrimental to everything!" and it never goes beyond that.

Calling yourself "Gaming's biggest douchebag" doesn't go well for your image. All it shows is that you want to make noise, and you want to make a lot of noise. It makes it look like you're just another pretentious douchebag who thinks he is right about everything instead of willing to discuss and develop concepts and ideas further.

And it is just a guy on his pedestal. He's just as pretentious as David Cage is, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, it's an interesting video. Could turn up something worthwhile, but I'm a little skeptical of it. I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding. At least it'll give me something to do on Mondays.

EDIT: Added some stuff, god I love the edit button.

Ukanef

Jul 5, 2009
Oh crap... The reason I don't go to Destructoid is now on The Escapist... I really don't like this.
He is an opinionated dick but without the wit of Yahtzee nor the knowledge of MovieBob he just comes across as an angry spoiled brat. Yes, games are not movies, I thought The Escapist had a higher level of content than this.
Extra Credits, Yahtzee and MovieBob is miles ahead of this guy. Anthony Burch also, shame he left dtoid.
Anyway, thats one show I won't be following. Hope it crashes or gets (a whooooole lot) better.

May 5, 2010
Radoh said:
Radoh said:

I don't think that it matters if I'm an American or not, I just want to hear intelligent conversation, with as little nudity as possible, is that too much to ask for?
Um, you know I was agreeing with you, right?

justforkix

Sep 2, 2009
Where's the "don't like" button? The idea was alright, but the content was meh ... and the delivery was terrible. Definitely not one to stand up next to the likes of Yatzee, the Extra Punctuation team, MovieBob, Lisa ... hell even the Daily Drop.

Jim, if you're going to force your opinion on the world, stick to print. Oh and swearing is a poor substitute for wit and a well thought out argument.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Brainst0rm said:

What joke?

OT: He's right. He also seems to be on cocaine, but he's right.

Especially about David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.

It might work better if he did videos in the style of Movie Bob (I'm aware of the irony given the subject), since:

a) Bob hasn't got a clue what he's talking about when he's let on to games ("no one wants to use a PC for gaming when they can buy 20 devices for £3000+, all with lesser functionality! That's the Big Picture!")

b) It feels rushed like this, and like I said, he seems to be on cocaine, which is a little unnerving to watch

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Damn it. It's hard enough avoiding Jim's articles on Destructoid.

I'm not saying that (some of) his points are not valid or true, but the manner in which they are presented is like a child would on Xbox LIVE, complete with the attitude.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Radoh said:
Radoh said:

Um, you know I was agreeing with you, right?
Yeah I know you were, I'm just qualifying my stance on it is all. It doesn't seem necessary or even really warranted to have that kind of stuff in the video.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
yeah no. Just because games aren't movies (duh, chairs aren't bicicles either, why don't you make a video about that?) doesn't mean there aren't any parallels between them.

Why all the ranting about heavy rain? It was an experiment trying to combine two different media, what's so bad about that?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on this site with less charisma.
The fact he seems to have some sort of fetish for Paint'd penises makes matters worse.

The fact he spoke for five minutes when the title more or less summed up everything everyone already knew in under a second was quite amazing though.

Here's a little snippet where I definitely disagree though, game stories are inferior to film stories.
As an example I've only really played one game that dealt with the emotion of war in a good manner, and it did it using mostly cutscenes, which most people can agree is the worst way of telling the story.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
FFIX! =D

But yeah, I was worried this guy would just be a jerkalurk with how the title described him. I was proven wrong! And I wish he had went on about Heavy Rain a bit more. God forbid that game ever became a movie exactly the same way the game made the plot.

"Heavy Holes" is what it'd be called.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Did anyone else feel like the guy didn't seem comfortable in front of the camera? It was the way he was standing, holding that microphone - made him look uneasy.

He also repeated himself a lot and seemed to choose a fairly easy subject for his first video here. Could have been better.

I'll watch the next episode anyway but I hope it gets a lot better and more focused.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Well i found that kinda dull he didnt really seem to go anywhere with it.Just him going on about the same part of the arguement way too many times and the delivery at some points was hard to watch.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
This guy has potential but I was not impressed with this episode. First of all this guy needs to edit/pace himself. Often he is stuttering and saying um um um, not good when trying to present. Also what the heck with the random Microsoft paint pictures? Seems unnecessary and just thrown in. Finally, this guy isn't interesting to watch. He just stands there waving his hand. He is wearing sunglasses so you can't see him make eye contact. It is very boring to watch. I felt the topic and such was good it was just really boring to watch and I can see it getting old very quickly. This show needs a lot of polish. In my opinion ;)

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
Yay Jim's here! Now I don't need to go to destructoid as much.

I've enjoyed your work since I found your Deadly Premonition review, hope to see more here. I've been a fan of Jimquisition for a while too so the only feedback I can give is that I enjoy it.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Just comes across like he's trying too hard.

He's just another loudmouth with a soapbox. I realise this is an act (I hope) but his delivery is pretty poor.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed.

He seems to have just crammed the worst parts of Yahtzee and Bob into one entity and hoped adding some sort of faux rockstar temperament would make it a hit.

Yahtzee swears a lot, sure. But his swearing compliments his creativity, his original delivery and generally abstract nature.

Bob, despite his flaws, is actually pretty goddamn intelligent. He has had more than a few very poignant things to say and so I can forgive his assish behaviour and tenancy to commit to logical fallacies. (that I'm sure he is aware of and tends to use more as hyperbole that actual reasoning) And all that damn nostalgia.....

I realise it's too early to write this guy off entirely.

But my first impressions Escapist...... did you lose a bet?

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
[...] David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.
At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.
Jump, run, shoot, roll and six others he didn't seem interested in specifying.

Yes, Cage is delusional dick.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Nice talk. I was expecting some quip about how there's never been a good movie based off a video game that wasn't already safer than a safe inside a safe and there's been maybe two good video games based on movies. Eh, oh well.

Oh, and "fuck." If you're saying the same word enough times that I lost count in a six minute piece you're saying it too much.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
I liked it. Made me laugh a couple of times and had good, catchy arguments. Will watch more.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Wodan said:
Hmmm... Decently put argument... Somewhat interesting and novel orator... I am intrigued to see more of what this series and what Jim can offer.
In my opinion he looks a bit too young for me to take him seriously, he just comes off as an angry 20-something year old in a suit with a mic, but we will see, I usually give shows a month+ to come into their own.

Also, hate the sunglasses, not sure why, but I do

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
That was...interesting. I was a bit surprised at the low quality of the video in comparison to other Escapist video series, it wasn't very entertaining to watch Jim just stand there talking. Aside from that, this still comes off as something that would have been better in writing. At some points profanity seemed to be peppered in for no real point, although some of those uses fit in quite well, others stuck out as unnecessary. I may be acting a bit overly sensitive on that part, but it is something that jumped out at me, and I'm no stranger to Yahtzee's videos, in which I find the use of profanity timely and funny.

The brief pop-ins of quick paint drawings didn't seem to contribute to anything either. The quick clips of Heavy Rain in between reading the items on the list were helpful in illustrating the point, and were humorous in the context presented. A half-second flash of penis-man didn't make me laugh or think anything more on the point, but derailed my thoughts and had me asking myself 'why the hell did that get put in there? Was there a point?'

Forgive me if I'm coming off as overly critical, I think I've been spoiled on the well-thought out rantings of Yahtzee and the in-depth analysis of Extra Credits, while this series seems to be an in-between of those two. As with anything on The Escapist, I'll give it at least 3-4 weeks to see if it improves or it grows on me.

Aside from the criticism, I agree with the message he's trying to convey. Video games are different than other mediums, constantly comparing them to film is destructive. It wasn't exactly a controversial issue, but I doubt it's something most gamers think about, and is definitely food for thought.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Not bad for a first episode.

Lose the mirror shades, they're just distracting and tacky, and a bit less badly drawn cocks next time. Otherwise a good video overall, and I broadly agree with what he's saying this time too.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Hmm dunno, was alright. And his obvious point is obvious.

But I prefer it when people actually focus mostly on their topic and actually give interesting informations or point of views instead of using vulgar speech in order to be funny and separate themselves from other guys who do the same stuff. I'll take Extra Credits over this, Zero Punct. and movie Bob any day.

They don't waste much time AND have the most interesting arguments and presentation on top of that ;P

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Moriarty said:
yeah no. Just because games aren't movies (duh, chairs aren't bicicles either, why don't you make a video about that?) doesn't mean there aren't any parallels between them.

Why all the ranting about heavy rain? It was an experiment trying to combine two different media, what's so bad about that?
Quoted for infinite truth.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I was going make a point about "just because they like one angry brit doesn't mean they're all good," but a lot of you seem to like this guy so...

Honestly, I can go to the local University campus if I want to hear a fat person complain about video games. This guys delivery and the way he's throwing his hands around just irritates me and we already have Extra Credits on board to make a logical commentary on the gaming industry. Getting an angry man to try and do the same job is going to be less effective.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Does he have to be so right yet so unrepentingly repellent and obnoxious in apperance and delivery as to almost demolish his rightness?

We're really screwed as a medium if the only people talking sense are themselves beyond mad.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Erm... no-one is saying Games are films. Everyone knows they are different but that doesn't mean they can't have elements of each other in them though.

Heavy Rain is a game with cinematic elements but its still a game. MGS4 has cinematic elements in it but it's still a game. The same goes for films with elements inspired by games. No one is dumb enough to say Films and Games are the same, well except for this Jim guy.

Whether videogames are Art is a completely different question to 'are Games the same as Movies?' And one which Jim clearly wasn't answering despite his Roger Ebert blurt at the end.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Woodsey said:
At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.

Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.

trymantha

Oct 26, 2010
Thank you Capitan Obvious. video game are not movies?

NO WAY, STOP THE PRESSES.

swearing doesn't make you funny nor does it help your case.

not watching again

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Yay, another video series about how video games are supposed to have a deeper meaning other than just being fun. I understand that video games can have phenomenal narratives, writing, direction, etc, but must we constantly have this argument about the whole "games as art" thing?

Go ahead, talk about how I have a lack of higher thought process or whatever. I'll be over here getting my kicks with Bulletstorm (pun not intended).

Sach

Nov 22, 2009
Wow, that was annoying... Add this one to the list of Escapist video series I'm never gonna watch again. The best part of the whole video was the FF9 music.

It's not that I have a problem with his message (though I did enjoy Heavy Rain, I agree that movies and games are 2 very different mediums), it's that this guy is annoying as hell. He's trying WAY too hard to be edgy. I guess maybe he's going for that "I'm an asshole and that makes me cooler than you" thing, but whereas with Yahtzee I wish the videos were several times longer so I could hear more of his rants, the only reason I finished this video was because I was listening to the music.

Destructoid can keep him.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.
The thing here is that the obvious subject matter makes interesting discussions difficult but not impossible. I'd say the biggest problem wasn't the obviousness of the subject matter or the lack of contention, it was that it was a superficial look at obvious subject matter with no point of contention. Basically here you had a fairly obvious right or wrong answer and instead of going into more detail you just left it at saying what was right.

That's basically like a maths teacher telling a kid that says that 2+2=5 that they're wrong and not explaining why. You effectively missed the most important part of the debate, and with it being such a comprehensively covered debate that is a big miss.

Even with interesting topics if you only superficially explain your opinion people are not going to be entertained or educated which are the 2 main staples of compelling viewing.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Do we really need another soapbox series? What with all the columns, Extra Credits (it's a very intelligent one, and I love it, but that's all it is), Big Picture, and ZP gradually turning into one as well, I think this is too much.
Especially with the random swearing and general meh tone. Probably won't be watching again.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Yay, another video series about how video games are supposed to have a deeper meaning other than just being fun. I understand that video games can have phenomenal narratives, writing, direction, etc, but must we constantly have this argument about the whole games as art" thing?

Go ahead, talk about how I have a lack of higher thought process or whatever. I'll be over here getting my kicks with Bulletstorm (pun not intended).
Actually, I think you'll find Sterling is on your side in that particular question.

Personally, I find his angle depressing and reductive.

"Mindless fun is the most artistic form of expression I can think of."
I honestly do not know how to respond to that.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Finally a GOOD video series on this site. I hate most of the videos here (Yahtzee and EC in particular) but thank God someone realized that Sterling is honest in what he says (unlike the other British guy that bitches for the sake of views) and gave him a slot here.

Matt8Bit

Aug 11, 2009
Not a very original theme, but well put. Would like a little more engagement than just a guy wearing some glasses in-front of a wall...if that's part of the charm, i missed it completely.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
LiquidGrape said:
Woodsey said:

Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.
Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Slangeveld said:
O.0 Intriguing person. Uh. And yes, video games aren't movies/otherwayaround.

Was this rant inspired solely by Heavy Rain? :O
Given how much Jim rags on Heavy Rain, it would hardly be surprising.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
An overweight british guy in front of a white background holding a mic...

Yeah...

This wasn't funny (as moviebob and yahtzee tend to be) nor was it particulary smart (as Extra Credits tends to be), and the points he made have already been done (and better) by many people on the Escapist not so long ago... and the throwback to Ebert at the end, by now that's practically ancient history.

Not impressed at all. Guess we'll see if it picks up next week.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I needn't say much more then I agree hole-heartedly.
Also I think the new guy is a keeper ; ).

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Not as funny as Yahtzee or the Unskippable guys, not as insightful as James Portnow or MovieBob, and the presentation style is godawful.

I will be giving this one a miss. And why does Extra Consideration keep getting posted so late?

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
So...uh. Okay.

I really didn't like the presentation of this. I watched it for a few minutes or so and decided to move on to another tab leaving the audio on. So I missed...badly drawn penises apparently. I DID happen to catch a glimpse of the bad MS Paint work. As an artist I am neither impressed or amused by bad MS Paint. You could probably find someone to draw decent graphics for you cheaply if need be.

But anyway, ramble aside I definitely don't feel like I missed anything by ignoring the visual aspect of this. I agree with folks that this could be an article or a pod cast rather than a video. You COULD probably polish this up to be a good video but right now as is, not feeling it.

Also I found the choice of topic rather odd one to bolt out of the starting gate with. The whole Ebert, games and movies debate is something that seems rather old news now.

Just my brief two cents, it is the first video so I'm going to keep an eye out and see if this gets better.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Brainst0rm said:

Don't worry about it, there wasn't a joke to miss.

OT:I don't think the fact that games are inherently different to films means that they can't take inspiration from film. For instance, films make incredible use of visuals.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
To quote what I wrote elsewhere

Color me unimpressed, whilst he might have some charisma in written form (thats up for speculation) he doesn't have any on camera.

It was hyped in the title credits, the title itself and to a latter extent the buzz around here as a master ranter, someone who oozed arrogance and impatience. What I got was a nervous, campy, whining man, unsubtly attempting to channel Bill Hicks, or at least someone more confident than him, but failing rather miserably.

Stick to proof reading IMO.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
On first blush, I'm not a fan. Why did this need to be a video, instead of an article? Did the visuals add anything to the ideas he was putting across? C- at best.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Watching a pasty and abrasive douche-bag from what is categorically & demonstrably the biggest cesspool of misogyny in the gaming sphere making self-evident points without the least bit of eloquence, grace or manners? Not my idea of a good time. And who the fuck wears sunglasses inside? Honestly, The Escapist should not support this man.

Jim Sterling said:
That says films has better stories. Look at some of the films out there; that ain't fucking true most of the time.
Yes it is, unfortunately.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
LiquidGrape said:
Woodsey said:

Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.
But he's not moving it forward - if he was then yes, I might stomach him a bit more.

As for him being passionate about it, I'm pretty sure I've heard him actively shun the idea of being called a game developer. He wants to be a film writer/director, and his lack of talent means he never got to do that.

Its just a shame that we put him on a pedestal.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
You have got to be kidding me. After gaining a significant level of justified backlash for his absolutely inane "Casual Gamers are Better Than You" article, you guys went and gave him a show? Not only that, but a show that uses the same style as The Big Picture with inferior execution? Sorry, but this is a horrible mistake. You have gaming commentary down to a perfect little trifecta with Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation, and MovieBob/Big Picture. This guy will only detract from your site.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I agree that games need to find their own voice, but we'd be crazy to throw out everything learned from over a century of film-making. We can't ignore basic cinematic techniques just because we're worried about seeming inferior. I agree that we need games that embrace the inherent interactivity of the medium and focus on player agency in ways that films (as a passive medium) cannot. But I also believe that games that tell stories in a cinematic fashion have an important place as well. I think we'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we reject those methods in an foolhardy bid for "purity" in game storytelling.

Also, this video makes me wonder if all I need to get featured on a site like this is a British-y accent. I didn't watch the video, only listened, but he basically sounded like the average tl;dr forum post. MovieBob brings his knowledge of films and comics to the table and Yahtzee is funny and critical in ways we don't always expect (with fun videos to boot). I have to wonder what this guy brings to the table. I suppose time will tell.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
No.

Just no. I started out by going "wtf...?" at the intro bit, and slowly falling asleep as he began talking. By the time it was 1 minute in I was literally about to faceplant into my keyboard. AND I HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE NEXT TO ME I'VE BEEN DRINKING. There is absolutely no humor here, and any points of value he DOES touch on, he barely does so, and are points that have already been covered by better, more talented people.

There was absolutely no leadup, and the content was so painful I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I was extremely skeptical just by looking at the title, but my rule is to give everything on this site a chance. If this thing improves over time, fantastic, but I simply won't be returning to it.

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.
It's inquisition, as in in the Spanish inquisition, but replace the 'n' with an 'm', and start with a 'J'...

It's a terrible play on words, but it's not difficult to say.

ChibiKaji

Feb 5, 2011
I enjoyed it but I do agree that you could try and make it a little more visually interesting.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
SageRuffin said:
Yay, another video series about how video games are supposed to have a deeper meaning other than just being fun. I understand that video games can have phenomenal narratives, writing, direction, etc, but must we constantly have this argument about the whole games as art" thing?

Actually, I think you'll find Sterling is on your side in that particular question.

Well, if that's basically what he does all the time, I don't think I'm going to be a fan of this series...

It's not visually appealing, still not funny... and his points are kinda 'deeeeeeeeeer'. It really feels like he's talking down to the audience too. I don't appreciate having someone telling me what I already know in a condescending tone.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
You're just as bad. You say video games are being treated in an inferior manner, then go on to state that video games could probably be superior. Apples to oranges my ass.

Interactivity does add elements to the narrative, but it certainly also takes away plenty of elements as well. Every medium has its own restrictions.

Comparing video game designers to movie directors occurs because movies predate games, and as such, are more developed as an art form. Since both are visual media, the comparison seems fairly sound to some.

Either way, a hierarchy should not exist between different mediums, as they can certainly learn from each other but also coexist peacefully. There is never going to be a moment where people stop reading books or watching movies. Now, there will also never be a moment when people stop playing games. If you assume that X > Y > Z, then Y and Z both become obsolete in the scheme of things.

Arguably, the existence of Heavy Rain is less detrimental to video games than Gears of War 57 1/2: Episode 4 because they are at least trying to bring innovation into the field. Whether Heavy Rain is a failure or success is up to you, but it certainly contributed in some way to the evolution of the medium.

Jul 11, 2008
He's right but he sucks at getting that across, he cant channel his rage as coherently and eloquently as Yahtzee and he keeps circling back and repeating himself. Maybe wander off and get a little practice at public speaking and use less flow breaking random images or at least go back and do re-takes and edit the video a little more carefully to weed out the crap bits.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Whoa Jim has joined the site? Destructoid and The Escapist converging....too much awesome...

Edit: It seems some people are going to need to get used to Destructoid's off-kilter style videos.

Delve into the oddball world of Birdie!

jcg

Jul 14, 2009
Moriarty said:
Yet would make a bicycle like you would make a chair? The problem is that different media require different methods. A book can spent a chapter about how scary a hallway is. In a film you might show the hallway with sound effects. In a game you drop the player in the hallway and let find him/her out the hallway is scary.

Now image a narrator telling you the hallway is scary while you see it in a movie, it might break the immersion. Yet some games do just that, the break into a cutscene with cinematic effects, which jerks you away from your character and breaks some of the immersion.

Yes it's easier to make a point with a cutscene, because how else do you keep the player in the hallway long enough so he/she discovers it's scary.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Guess i'll have to skip the Escapist on mondays now. I can't stand this guy, he's the reason why i stopped paying attention to Destructoid. I can't stand people who states their opinions as if they were UNDENIABLE FACTS.

Oh well at least there's still Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation and Movie Bob's shows to look up to.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
Jumplion said:
But he's not moving it forward - if he was then yes, I might stomach him a bit more.

As for him being passionate about it, I'm pretty sure I've heard him actively shun the idea of being called a game developer. He wants to be a film writer/director, and his lack of talent means he never got to do that.

I think the point of a certain level of pretension being crucial for artistic development is a salient one, and I welcome any attempt to explore new means and methods. Hell, I rather liked Fahrenheit for the first hour or so. It had an absolutely stellar opening.

I'm just thoroughly sick of how Cage is actively attempting to distance himself from the form as if he was above it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Boring presentation and a high inability to soliloquies his thoughts into a coherent manner. Couldn't something much more interesting be put into a Monday spot instead?

MrShadowzs

Apr 5, 2009
I think videogames are like movies in that they tell a story from start to finish using video...okay let the crucifixion begin

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
Is this the new Escapist show?
Please, God tell me this is the new Escapist show!!

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Pr1mus said:
Guess i'll have to skip the Escapist on mondays now. I can't stand this guy, he's the reason why i stopped paying attention to Destructoid.
I'm actually quite sad to say I agree with this, very much so.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Jim Sterling?

The Escapist keeps picking up the best. Now all you need to to pick up Ross Scott and have Anthony Burch start Rev Rants again.

EDIT: Good core point, you say a few off centre things though.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
Eh, debatable. I for one am glad that a game like Heavy Rain exists (and yes, it is a game, I don't care what anyone else says) and was as successful as it was. While it certainly had its flaws, I prefer to look at it in a more optimistic light and say that it's developing the medium in some way. It proved that you don't need explosions, gunplay, or blood+guts everywhere to sell a game, you can have a more mature, more adult game (whether or not is succeeded is beside the point).

That's more on what he thinks he is. He's still passionate about his visions and whatnot, and I respect that to an extent. I do think gaming needs a few more auteurs like with movies, it helps focus the direction a game would go.

I think Cage just imagines the pedestal is there ;P

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Tarkand said:
Well, if that's basically what he does all the time, I don't think I'm going to be a fan of this series...

It's not visually appealing, still not funny... and his points are kinda 'deeeeeeeeeer'. It really feels like he's talking down to the audience too. I don't appreciate having someone telling me what I already know in a condescending tone.
That is exactly what he does all the time. This guy thinks extremely highly of himself. Condescending is the right word indeed. Just skip this retarded series, the Escapist didn't need that honestly... or did they? After all they are filled with quality and intelligent content so maybe they're trying to appeal to less intellectually able people?

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I thought it was good. I'm interested in seeing what he will talk about in the future, so I'll watch the next one, at least.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
Hm, the accent is a little too thick and watching a fat guy stand in a room is only so appealing, other than that, he had interesting stuff to say...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
MatsVS said:
Jim Sterling said:
That says films has better stories. Look at some of the films out there; that ain't fucking true most of the time.
Not really. Most film stories are utter toss. Over the last 20 or more years Hollywood in particular has been reducing the number of themes and constructs it uses in storytelling to a vastly reduced pool, so much so that you can almost tell from the poster the entire story of the film.

Jumplion said:
and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.
He's not moving the medium forward though, he's moving it backwards by removing freedom of interaction. Heavy Rain is just an animated equivalent to a Visual Novel, not a game in any real sense of the word.

David Cage needs to be picked up by a snatch squad in the middle of the night and taken to the secret facility where the hideous mutated thing that used to be Chris Roberts' career is kept, so he can understand the consequences of diving into the "I am a repressed movie maker honest" pit.

Sep 15, 2009
Personally, I found most of it to be bland, and any swearing and personality seemed to detract attention from the actual point of the episode, to the extent where I had to remind myself what exactly he was raging about.

However, I don't claim to be a voice for anyone but myself on the escapist, and could see this being popular, and bringing more viewers and revenue to the site, which can only be good.

Because it was posted on here, I'm willing to watch a few more episodes of this before coming to a final decision, purely because i love most of the other critic videos here on The Escapist. Anywhere else and I would be avoiding it like the plague.

Heres hoping for a calmer second episode, and maybe a more original topic than an old one with swear-words added

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
This video was almost presentable and I was almost liking it till he started to stumble about half way through.

Strike two in the same day.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Oh my... a snarky Brit with a strong opinion about videogames? Truly the Escapist has no shortage of original videos to feature! :p

But in all seriousness... Jim? You have my attention. Why? Because you care about games. You care about them becoming more than they are, and that's an attitude I always want to support. Enjoy feeding on the trolls, and here's to a long and happy run on the site.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jumplion said:
It proved that you don't need explosions, gunplay, or blood+guts everywhere to sell a game,
And meanwhile Wii Sports is the highest selling game of all time and is so "mature" your gran could play it.

David Cage, Ur Doin It Rong.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Brainst0rm said:

Not everything is supposed to be funny...

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
jcg said:
Yet would make a bicycle like you would make a chair? The problem is that different media require different methods. A book can spent a chapter about how scary a hallway is. In a film you might show the hallway with sound effects. In a game you drop the player in the hallway and let find him/her out the hallway is scary.

Now image a narrator telling you the hallway is scary while you see it in a movie, it might break the immersion. Yet some games do just that, the break into a cutscene with cinematic effects, which jerks you away from your character and breaks some of the immersion.

Yes it's easier to make a point with a cutscene, because how else do you keep the player in the hallway long enough so he/she discovers it's scary.
Sorry but.. what? I can't even make out wether you're agreeing with me or not.

It may be easier to make a point with a cutscene, but it isn't impossible without one either. Check out Amnesia: The Dark Descent about the specific example you mentioned.
On the other hand cutscenes themselves aren't bad at all. Only if done badly, or maybe overdone cutscenes can frustrate players, but taking away the players control to set the scene or for plot exposition has always existed in games, at least since games have actual storylines outside of manuals.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Good content, the presentation of said content needs work however.

Anyhoo, while I agree with many of Jim's points, I think he has also failed to see that games do not automatically qualify as A STORY-TELLING MEDIUM.

They can be, and are often used to be Story-tellers, but that's not the main focus of games.

I think my opinions can pretty much be summed up as "take what Jim said, but replace 'Movies' with 'story-telling devices'".

If that makes sense.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Thought that was pretty good; though it was a bit too Pen & Teller's Bullshit, minus a mute co-host & Pen has swollen up a tad.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Brainst0rm said:

I concur with this statement. This man makes me ashamed to be English. Please remove his content from the site.

Seriously though. What did I just watch? That wasn't amusing in any way, that was just a guy being an arsehole for 10 minutes. Call me an elitist prick, but doesn't everything this man stands for abuse the Code of Conduct for the site? You know, the whole "don't be a jerk" rule followed by the bit about "making the forum a less pleasant place"? You even promote him as a "douchebag".

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
MatsVS said:
Jim Sterling said:
Not really. Most film stories are utter toss. Over the last 20 or more years Hollywood in particular has been reducing the number of themes and constructs it uses in storytelling to a vastly reduced pool, so much so that you can almost tell from the poster the entire story of the film.
I did not mean to imply that stories in film are generally good. They most certainly are not. Still, it's a safe bet to say that for every game with a genuinely well told story, there are dozens and dozens of films with an equally or better told story. Not to mention that games have never reached the same heights of narrative quality that films has.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
TheSkaAssassin said:
o...k...

I whole-heartedly agree. Ever since D&A left there's a comedy-sized hole in my heart that LRR can't make up for on its own.

Captcha: Research rseech

CAPTCHA HAS SPOKEN. I will now look up what rseech means.

timrattray

Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion, his "Bias Reviews" Jimquisition is by far his best. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-oeOqgRi7E

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Harry Mason said:
Good lord, that was awful. I would give up my Silent Hill collection to see Yahtzee physically spank this man. He stumbled over his words, pretended to be angry so poorly it made me sad, and the glasses look like a completely transparent attempt at creating a signature "look."

I'm not usually the person to be snotty about these types of things, but I've come to expect a certain level of quality from Escapist shows, and GOOD GOD THAT WAS TERRIBLE. I even AGREE with him and I hated the show.

You know what? Scratch that. I want to see Lisa Foiles hit him with the Irritating Stick. This guy takes himself WAY too seriously. I will give this show another episode to be fair, but that was truly awful.
Wow. There is not a single thing that was on my mind when I stopped the video that you did not say. Well played, sir. Fantastic ninja skills.

I'm willing to experience this bij one more time if the topic is interesting, but my expectations will be rather low.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Would have been better written the pictures didn't add anything to the argument and there were not funny like Extra credits. The pictures should reinforce the ideas or bring up tangents to the ideas. I can't say I laughed or found that he had anything to say that I hadn't already heard before. Maybe this time he was beating a dead horse, maybe if he had a fresher topic. I will watch twice more.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
Eh, debatable. I for one am glad that a game like Heavy Rain exists (and yes, it is a game, I don't care what anyone else says) and was as successful as it was. While it certainly had its flaws, I prefer to look at it in a more optimistic light and say that it's developing the medium in some way. It proved that you don't need explosions, gunplay, or blood+guts everywhere to sell a game, you can have a more mature, more adult game (whether or not is succeeded is beside the point).

That's more on what he thinks he is. He's still passionate about his visions and whatnot, and I respect that to an extent. I do think gaming needs a few more auteurs like with movies, it helps focus the direction a game would go.

I think Cage just imagines the pedestal is there ;P
"I think Cage just imagines the pedestal is there"

You've just put him on one.

And what's the point in looking at it in an optimistic light "just because"? We can use Minecraft to show how popular games can be without the need for violence. We can use Half Life and Portal for dialogue and storytelling. We can use Mafia and PoP: The Sands of Time for a strong leading character, for character development and chemistry.

David Cage is irrelevant. All those games did what he thinks he can do (they also fit in more than just the categories I put them in by the way, just using their best features), and they did it much better.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Meanwhile, at Destructoid... [http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-games-are-not-movies-get-over-it-199097.phtml]

I am surprised at the amount of comments on here that amount to "Huh? Who?", since Jim is one of the main attractions of Destructoid, and yet The Escapist has managed to nab him. It's like Yathzee doing an opinion series on Destructoid.

probunk

Nov 12, 2009
Augh...no, no, no. Boring, artless delivery style, absolutely no humor, and a five minute 'rant' (I hesitate to call it that because it implies some emotional connection or Yahtzee-style humour) that could have fit inside a thirty-second clip. Absolute crap, I shan't be watching again.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
MatsVS said:
I did not mean to imply that stories in film are generally good. They most certainly are not. Still, it's a safe bet to say that for every game with a genuinely well told story, there are dozens and dozens of films with an equally or better told story. Not to mention that games have never reached the same heights of narrative quality that films has.
On the other hand, games able to really deliver a strong narrative as games have not been around for a particularly long time. The field from which really good narratives can be drawn is much smaller.

Games do have an inherent advantage over films though, which is the interactive component. The player is far more personally involved in a story that they've contributed to by their actions, even if those actions are as simple as walking a character from point A to point B so they can have a cutscene and a bossfight (which is why you'll occasionally hear people saying that the confused messes that comprise the average JRPG story are "good").

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
The people saying that Sterling's point is too obvious to make a video about clearly didn't notice the path that the videogame industry has been threading in the last decade.

The drawings were completely unnecessary.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Up front, I gotta say that the glasses make me think of Tony Clifton.

Like a lot of other folks here, it does feel that the visual direction of the movie can be lacking. However, I can see the appeal of it being a movie rather than a written article. His current style suggests, at least to me, stand up comedy. So perhaps the visuals of the movie could be tailored towards that direction for some zest? I can understand not wanting to be yet another Escapist animation or slideshow movie.

I've also never heard of this fellow before, so I don't have any ideas going into this one (although I will watch his other stuff later). The argument is sound if a bit slow in its arrival. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the nerdrage over videogames not being movies or not being art died out after Ebert apologized. I don't think many here would argue with Jim about his statement. A is not B. It's a good tautology.

So I'm going to leave neutral. Thanks, Jim, and good luck with the new venue!

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I like this guy.

Also, I wonder how many people didn't know who Bertolt Brecht was and then googled him?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
interesting.
I feel that you need a desk and a boom mic. maybe a better presentation.

rickvhoeij

Feb 8, 2011
Not to be rude, but I rather see The Big Picture then this. My reasons why are as following. At least get some decent audio going on. The music and the bad mic makes it hard to listen to. And the subject of this episode has been done to death. Just my two cents.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
The first impression is that he says what had been said already (e.g. by moviebob) in a denser and more interesting way. It appears that he tries ranting like yathzee, which might explain the britishy accent (I'm no accent expert).
He also chose an issue which is known to hurt the little feelings of so many insecure gamers ;)

But oh well, I also didn't like Lisa at first, but I'm watchin her now. I'll give him a few more tries. He didn't blow my brain like zp, extra credits or the big picture did, though.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Ukanef said:
katsumoto03 said:
Because I needed another reason to hate Mondays...
You Sir, were 30 times better than this video :D
Seconded. I will be the 100th or so person to point out that this guy is a new, non-established loudmouth on a soapbox, preaching to an imaginary choir, while there are other, already-established loudmouths on taller soapboxes with several gospels written by and for them.
...I really should stop posting late at night, I sound wasted.

May 5, 2010
Draconalis said:
It's inquisition, as in in the Spanish inquisition, but replace the 'n' with an 'm', and start with a 'J'...

It's a terrible play on words, but it's not difficult to say.
I....know that?

I just think the 'M' and the 'Q' right next to each other is really awkward.

I got the play on words. That's not my problem with it.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Jim is a badass. Since he is now here he has knocked off ZP as my sole reason for coming to this site (Other then the community.) Can't wait for more.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Brainst0rm said:

I'm sort of in the same boat. I don't get what was supposed to be interesting about him. He didn't say anything that I haven't read/heard/seen somewhere else before.

My only thought during this whole thing was "ok, he's clearly supposed to be kind of a jerk, but he's not likable in any way." And I still feel that way.

I'm sure he's probably got fans, but I'll probably be skipping Jimqusitions from now on.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Ugh. The best thing about this show is the background music.

He has some valid points there, but this gig would probably work better as an article; That way he could avoid making me want to pull my own teeth out.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
I watched it, but to be frank I wish I hadn't. He didn't really hash out anything MovieBob hasn't said, he just went on the same point, "movies/games are different", and swore a lot when he did it.

When the tag line for a new segment is "industry's biggest douchebag", I don't think you are trying to entertain or inform, just going for shock value.

I will not be watching this series and sincerely hope that the Escapist chooses to not run it anymore.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Okay what's with the retarded hand waving? It's annoying and diverts attention away from whatever it was he was saying.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
emusega said:
The first impression is that he says what had been said already (e.g. by moviebob) in a denser and more interesting way. It appears that he tries ranting like yathzee, which might explain the britishy accent (I'm no accent expert).
He also chose an issue which is known to hurt the little feelings of so many insecure gamers ;)

But oh well, I also didn't like Lisa at first, but I'm watchin her now. I'll give him a few more tries. He didn't blow my brain like zp, extra credits or the big picture did, though.
Umm....the accent might possibly be explained by the fact that he was born in the uk and moved to America. Not that hard to figure out how someone could possibly have an accent.

BaconPunch

Mar 24, 2011
Well to be perfectly honest it seems a bit pointless when put next to Extra Credits.
That sounds a lot more horrible than I meant.
I am aware that he will improve, it's only his first video and I probably will be checking back. He seems to be definately will become awesome and it's not like he's making the site worse, unlike... SOME... shows that I could mention.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
He's not moving the medium forward though, he's moving it backwards by removing freedom of interaction. Heavy Rain is just an animated equivalent to a Visual Novel, not a game in any real sense of the word.
Heavy Rain is just a different style of game, nothing more nothing less. I am sick of people going "It's a movie/visual novel/one long QTE" because it's still a game. I has its shining moments and its faults, but it is a game no matter how you skew it. There are certainly some things that can be taken from Heavy Rain that can benefit gaming, like how you don't need to have a gritty space marine with a "mature" story to sell, you can have a darker, more adult game with a mature story. Whether or not it succeeds to you personally is beside the point.

Gaming does not only evolve by "removing the boundaries" or giving more interaction to the world. That is merely one aspect of the evolution of games. If you genuinely think that (which I'm pretty sure you don't), then you're more restricting to the medium than Cage is.

Sorry if I'm sounding hostile, I'm just sick of the same talk that I see about Heavy Rain and Cage.

David Cage needs to be picked up by a snatch squad in the middle of the night and taken to the secret facility where the hideous mutated thing that used to be Chris Roberts' career is kept, so he can understand the consequences of diving into the "I am a repressed movie maker honest" pit.
Or just duct tape his mouth, throw him in a room for a few hours, and let him realize that for himself :D

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Aah. Okay. I see what you mean. I'll admit, when I first saw this title, I thought it was just going to be a rant about cutscenes or saying Heavy Rain is just a movie you have to press buttons to watch (which is to me like saying old-school adventure games are just cartoons you have to click the screen or enter text to watch, but I digress) but once I watched the video I understood your point completely.

The game industry isn't going to progress at all if it tries to be more like Hollywood and become a part of that industry. I mean, look at what the mess that is Hollywood as done to film as a whole - studio mandated, focus group oriented, lowest common denominator garbage.

Gaming emulating film =/= innovation. I'll agree with what I think Yahtzee said in that the most original, novel and innovative games I've played recently have been iPad games (as well as some indie XBLA games). The story telling in these games is as far away from film as you can possibly get, but I would say these seemingly inconsequential games by their very existence have contributed more to the growth and evolution of gaming as a whole than any triple A title released in the same period, simply because they're doing something different. They are something different. And this is a very good thing.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I dont really like this new show...I guess I would call it a show. Even though he makes some excellent points I found him unentertaining. Perhaps the biggest problem was the excessive swearing which didnt add anything and in fact made him more bland for me. I know its hard to do in a sort of ironic/witty way like Yahtzee does it but it seems like he could have done something with it or left it out entirely.

Another issue was it just seemed like he was stating opinion and those who disagreed with him be damned. For example when he said video games and movies have developed completely differently I sat there continuing to listen to the rant and waiting for him to quanitify his opinion with the word because

So for me, I had a bland guy standing in front of me talking about a subject I already know and somewhat agree with that was giving us nothing except crudely drawn guy with his pants around his knees and video of him humping a stuffed animal. Those were really just "WTF am I watching?" moments. There was no humor, no educational value, nothing to even back up his claims

As is, Im not a fan but Ill check out the next one to see if anythings changed. If not then I just wont watch from then on. To those that did like it, hey more power to you. Im glad you found a show you like, its just not for me

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Cavouku said:

second'd. As an in-yo-face reporter down on the streets, he could really do an awesome show.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I didn't like it, he's got some interesting things to say, but I don't find him the lovable kind of douchebag.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
This guy actually have only one purpose in everything he does: To start flame wars. He talks and act exactly like a troll does and it so happens that some sites are willing to actually give him his own show to stir up the hornet's nest. And he is very successful at that.

Really that's sad. I though the escapist was above that with quality show like Extra Credit but guess not.

Yahtzee does this rant thing all the time too but it's done with humor. It's not meant to be taken seriously or as a real or fair review of the games.

Jim, with the excessive swearing and condescending tone acts just like a sad forum troll and is extremely painful to watch.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
On one hand, I do frequent Destructoid and I do enjoy the video-content on that site because this style of game commentary is common; the way articles are presented and the general community suits it nicely. It's a good site, for the most part, and it's fantastic because it's style of presentation and the way it interacts with the audience is so different to The Escapist.

On the other I don't think this style of video suits The Escapist particularly well; at the end of the day, however the content is presented, it's still another soap-box show explaining often condensing points about games to the very people whom already hold an opinion on that area and will then argue about it in the comments. It's another show in which the content creator deliberately speaks down to his audience in an attempt to garner additional, often flame-like arguments - it's another MovieBob essentially. Except Jim Sterling understands and is much more knowledgeable regarding video-games than Bob will ever be.

If the content is more analytical than previous Jimquisition's found on Destructoid [often the videos themselves are hilarious, but, much like this video - the core points made are few and far between] then I'm sure it'll be worth watching, even if they tend to be very inconsistent in their level of quality; but as it stands the content is to rant-like without the comedy to back it up, and the points made to condensing and lacking strong supporting arguments to really appeal to me.

Still it is nice to see The Escapist gathering new content that isn't mediocre.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Delusibeta said:
Meanwhile, at Destructoid... [http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-games-are-not-movies-get-over-it-199097.phtml]

I am surprised at the amount of comments on here that amount to "Huh? Who?", since Jim is one of the main attractions of Destructoid, and yet The Escapist has managed to nab him. It's like Yathzee doing an opinion series on Destructoid.

Who the hell are Destructoid?

Yes I will check the link.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
TheSkaAssassin said:
o...k...

Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say - who is this guy and why should I be interested in his rants?!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That was pretty good. Liked the music more than anything to be honest but mainly because I've heard about Kojima being confused about his job (ie: game maker not film director) and, Heavy Rain...well, simply negative things about Heavy Rain...It just seemed like a weak start. Then again, many great shows have had worse starts.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
What's the point of making a video if he just stands there. This could've been an audio file, like ZP or even better; an article. Him standing in front of a camera wearing a pair of hideous glasses and flapping his left hand about doesn't add any value whatsoever.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jumplion said:
Heavy Rain is just a different style of game, nothing more nothing less. I am sick of people going "It's a movie/visual novel/one long QTE" because it's still a game.
It isn't, however a very good one. It's not a type of game which moves the industry forward, it's a new Phantasmagoria, a shitty interactive movie that trades on this "mature" narrative but doesn't actually make a compelling play experience. And that is why it fails, it doesn't do what games do, it just retreads old mistakes that most of the rest of the industry grew out of along with digitised video.

Gaming does not only evolve by "removing the boundaries" or giving more interaction to the world. That is merely one aspect of the evolution of games. If you genuinely think that (which I'm pretty sure you don't), then you're more restricting to the medium than Cage is.
Interactivity is the thing which seperates games from other media, it's the one thing that games can do that nothing else can. When you take that interactivity out you destroy what made the medium worth a damn in the first place.

Heavy Rain might have a "mature" narrative, but as a game it isn't worth World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Personally, it just feels like The Escapist is trying to tap into the "troll dollar" with this show.

He's obviously just flamebaiting us. Which is funny because The Escapist recently went on some mad quest to make everyone behave nicely to each other. (Unless you have a camera, then you can be a big elitist prick as much as you like it seems)

Whether you agree with them or not you'll have watched the show and made them money, and it feels that's all they care about with this show.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
His voice irritated me to the point I couldn't continue watching. The recording device quality is probably part way to blame but still it was hard to listen to.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Cavouku said:

My god man that's brilliant! Then he could be like the illigitimate love child of Yahtzee and Michael Moore! As is he already seems to be the illigitimate love child of Yahtzee and Movie Bob. Ugh. The schtick is already there, you can find your way to the escapist by following the collumns of smoke left by the f-bomb abuse, do we seriously need another foul mouthed, opinionated critic??

I think this slot is already filled and this topic been hashed out on this site ALmost as much as "what is your opinion on morality systems" or "you've been caught doing something embarassing and sexual what do you do now?" Welcome one and all to Camp Schtick! Clown suits and cleavage to follow....

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Good lord this was annoying to listen to/look at. I agree with the handful of people in this thread suggesting that this would have been better as an article, with less swearing, because swearing a lot doesn't automatically make you funny or convincing. Now to sit and look foreward to Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation later this week.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
So... what's the deal with this guy? Does he have Parkinson's or Tourettes or something?
I don't mean anything by it, just curious.

On topic: He makes some good points, certainly, and I agree with most of his opinions but... how do I describe it? The word "hamfisted" comes to mind. I'm reserving judgement for now. I'll give this a chance to impress me, but it feels like this wasn't his best work. (Especially considering the whole "games are their own medium" bit would be Extra Credits' main underlying theme, if it had one. Not the best first impression to copy bluntly what others have said far more eloquently.)

There's some potential here. I'm curious to see if this goes anywhere.
LiquidGrape said:

Now, see... I think that episode is much better than the current one. It's still "hamfisted", but presents him more as someone who actually "gets it", and not merely ranting about something stupid he heard (as if in an internet forum?). As I said, we'll see where this goes...

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
well that was a waste of five minutes, I didnt like or enjoy his...work...at destructoid and I like it even less here.

It felt like going to a performance of great musicians and then finding the fourth act in is an drunken old man playing the spoons (badly) .

Ukanef

Jul 5, 2009
BaconPunch said:
Well to be perfectly honest it seems a bit pointless when put next to Extra Credits.
That sounds a lot more horrible than I meant.
I am aware that he will improve, it's only his first video and I probably will be checking back. He seems to be definately will become awesome and it's not like he's making the site worse, unlike... SOME... shows that I could mention.
Well, it isn't like its his first Jimquisition... He has been doing it at dtoid for quite sometime and its the same shit... He takes himself way to seriously, he isn't particularly well informed, he isn't funny and he can't seem to be able to grasp the notion that his opinions are just that.

It is definately sub-par to Extra Credits and Yahtzee. Just think of the ECredits' first video here...

Venereus

May 9, 2010
The Roger Ebert thing has started to become a bit of a myth it seems, yet he's not really the enemy. If you read the actual (now infamous) blog entry, you'll find he's quite on point (and in a way, Yahtzee found this to be the case too). In fact, I think what Ebert said actually helps the cause, as it's pretty much in line with what Jim is saying in this very video.

Here it is, demystify it:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I think what he said was true but the british accent will make people compare him to yahtzee. Oh well.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I will treat this series like how I treat my alcoholic beverages; One and done. (Lightweight)

I did not enjoy this new guy, and I feel like "fuckin'" could have had its own number counter. It was just some dude against a white background with a heavy handed opinion on something and a mic. Sure there was little clips, but they didn't do much to add to the value. I usually give shows a few episodes to prove themselves, but with this one, I don't really feel is going to get that same chance. Sorry Jim. :(

webby

Sep 13, 2010
timrattray said:
In my opinion, his "Bias Reviews" Jimquisition is by far his best. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-oeOqgRi7E
Oh dear... Whenever someone feels they have to justify their own opinion (and then do it in a rather uninteresting and overly aggressive way) then I start to wonder why their opinion is worth listening to at all. Especially when said person gets so worked up about the use of the word "bias". Firstly, bias isn't a word commonly used incorrectly (unlike "irony" and its derivatives). Secondly, he missed the difference between "bias" and "personal opinion". I'm not saying his reviews were biased, just that they could have been.

For example, the whole Kane and Lynch affair with gamespot and the advertising was the game makers hoping to force the reviewer to give a favourable review. That would have been biased. Simply stating your opinion is not biased, but stating that your opinion can't be bias is just ridiculous.

This is 3 videos that I've seen now, 2 of which were linked here as examples of "good videos" and they've all had similar flaws. Assumptions of idiocy levelled towards the audience, a discussion about a topic that never goes beyond scratching the surface, a delivery that is rather condescending and grating, a discussion on topics that most people could have given and no real worth to any of it. I'm sensing that I generally agree with what you're trying to say but your method of expressing your opinion makes me wish I didn't. (I like to call this "the Jeremy Kyle effect").

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
A game can have a fantastic narrative
A game can have the best soundtrack in the history of soundtracks
A game can bring you to tears, make you laugh, and get a huge range of emotion out of you.
However, that game will always be a game, and not a movie. They can have the same qualities that a movie can have, but they will not be a movie. That doesn't mean that what you got out of it is any less important.

It's the same with the whole video games and art debate. The parts that make up the video game are the art, not the game itself as a whole. I think this is where a lot of the confusion and arguments stem from. Plus we have this whole negative stereotype from film, news and uneducated parents that video games are a silly and pointless children's toy. It's sad that we're at the point in gaming that movies and art have coming into the vocabulary, and that stereotype sits there to twist the knife. A game is very much a medium through which artistic expression can be expressed. It would be like ignoring all the important value of Fantasia because it's "Just a piece of children's animation.".

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i look forward to see what other issues he covers. for a first episode though, i thought it was pretty damn good

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
SageRuffin said:

I'm not quite sure what to say to that myself, but I don't mind stupid, senseless fun. Hell, that's the main reason why I'm so excited for the new Mortal Kombat and Duke Nukem: they're both just so delightfully cheesy. And if not, then shame on me for dropping $100 for them (I like special editions).

But all that's besides the point. I certainly know that games are not movies, and that's one of a few reasons why I won't touch games like Heavy Rain with a 29.5-foot pole (hell, I wouldn't touch it with a 30-foot pole). I could care less about the whole "games are art" argument; I - speaking purely as an individual - simply want some enjoyment, whether that be from pulling an infinite in a fighting game, shooting someone in the balls and laughing at their screams of agony, or hearing about how to factions of robots are on the verge of civil war due to a mathematically-engineered conflict of interest.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
He looks a lot like Bruce Campbell in the stylized border that surrounds the screen.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
This was just awful. The Escapist already has Extra Credits doing insightful commentary on gaming there is no need for this blowhard muttering for 5 minutes while barely getting a point across. Needless to say I won't be watching any more of these videos.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
I agreed with all these points (especially about that piece of shit Heavy Rain) when they were the subject of Jim's articles on Destructoid. They were more fleshed out there, too, and this video kind of feels like he's just skimming those articles without breaking any new ground.

Still love the continued piss-taking he's doing with that 'auteur' David Cage, but hopefully future installments have a bit more substance to them.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
He lacks the most basic brain functions necessary to understand anything more challenging then the "my fist, your face" kind of stuff.

Kinda like this: