Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Woot! Jim Sterling is awesome (huge destructoid.com fan I am), so glad the Escapist picked up this series of his. Couldn't agree more about the whole games vs film nonsense, its irritated me every time the topic is brought up. So many people just don't get that you can't directly compare the two and trying to do so is flat out insulting to the gaming medium.

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.

He sounds little bit like Yahtzee, but he is not even close, and he haven't got cartoons, when I think of it he remainds me of Movie Bobs other thing, column. He's got cartoons to, but I don't like him either.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
yes, but games can learn a thing or two from movies. like how to make the best of the medium.

one thing that could be useful is the way hitchcock does suspense. like the bomb in the room. if you show people talking and then the bomb goes off the audience is shocked for 15 seconds and then bored.

if you show people talking and a bomb under the table set to go off at one o clock, then the audience is like 'why is the bomb there? what is going to happen? who put it there? will they find out?' and you use their imaginations against them.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Just wanted to add my two cents that I thought this was absolutely dreadful, other people in this long thread have summed up why so I won't waste my time with specifics, but...

It was literally just bad in every way, he added nothing of note and has absolutely no screen presence. Not to mention the technical aspects of it were terrible as well. It failed to hold my interest. He is on the level of some 13 year old kid on Gamespot.

Is this really the best they could find for a new show? How much are they paying him for this shit?

DenUrs

Dec 19, 2009
Srdjan said:
Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.
Amen to that. That would suck really, really hard

Steady Drain

Jan 23, 2010
Hmmm everyone is hating on the show/Jim. I agree it totally sucks. But its not really his fault that the escapist thought it would be a good idea screen this rubbish. Surely surely, there are many other talents clamouring for a spot on this website. Shame on you Escapist. Love ZP, Lisa, and Bob though :)

ShadowyMOON

Mar 5, 2011
Could be a lot better, does nothing to hook you in for a first episode, point has already been beaten to dead. A resounding Meh.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Jim Sterling said:
Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Let gaming's biggest douchebag explain to you how games aren't films, films aren't games, and David Cage will never be a moviemaker.

Watch Video
THANK YOU!

Now someone loop this video and Clockwork Orange it to Hideo Kojima. I'm done playing games with 60+ hours of effing cut scenes.

Side note: cut scenes with quick time events are NOT games either. They're novelties.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
This guy was far too hyper-active and over-animated for my tastes, I much prefer the dry fairly monotone attitude of that other Brit on this site. Saying that I think my own opinion is mostly due to his presentation, if this had been just a voice-over with something else playing on screen then I could have at least bared to have watched it to the end. He has a valid point as far as movies and video games being totally different (or at least they work best that way) but as it is I won't be watching this again.

Felis Leo

Apr 30, 2008
I am guessing that the Escapist felt it needed a hyper-animated Jim to act as the Chris Farley to Yahtzee's David Spadesque snarkiness.

I look forward to seeing more.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
Looking at his chosen topic I started off curious as to how this new person was planning on making the further beating an already thoroughly beaten, very much dead horse interesting to me. Inside of about thirty seconds I was bored, and by two minutes I was irritated enough to close the video. I, as a standard rule, give anything new a reasonable amount of time to impress me before I give up on it entirely, but this video made me quit in two minutes. I will check it out again next monday I guess, just to give it a fair go, but I seriously doubt I will ever watch it again.

To the people in charge of the escapist, I love you but do we really need another sarcastic snarky commentary guy? I mean, MovieBob covers pretty much everything but the games, and then there's Yahtzee. Hell, most of the other articles and reviews are done with a certain amount of smart-assery as well.

And then theres the video. Nothing to keep peoples attention, just a guy standing in front of a camera speaking into a microphone. If this guy sticks around, please make it an article instead, or have some kind of animation, or pictures/clips being included more . I mean, look at The Big Picture - it is just a voice over and some clipart, but that works. Sometimes the pic is just a facial expression, accentuating a point, sometimes it is a picture of a real life example of what is being talked about, clarifying a point without requiring the extra time to explain it. Sometimes it is just a visual gag or horrible pun that ties in with what is being said. But it keeps interest. If I wanted to watch a fat guy stand in front of the camera I would just start turning my laptop's webcam on again.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
"Gaming's biggest douchebag"

Yep, you got that right. Geez, I couldn't even finish the video and I usually give everything a chance. Less of this please, what an idiot.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Srdjan said:
Really, you find a woman slathered in makeup shoving her heaving bosom at viewers more appealing than a rotund man in a suit and tie? Pardon me while I die of shock.

A better idea; what if they exchanged scripts, think his work will be any less or any more appealing when delivered by a woman using sex appeal to sell herself to viewers?

Yeah....

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Couldn't finish it, because I was completley uninterested in what he was saying. I've rarley heard people proclaim that videogames are movies, and you seem to have based this entire video on one game that came out a while ago.

Also, there wasn't much interesting happening in the video well, just a guy standing talking - if he starts talking about something interesting or relevant, then make it into a podcast or just an article. Making this a video seems superfluous to the content.