Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

dtthelegend

Oct 19, 2008
After watching it and digesting it i have a few points about this as to why its not good in my own opinion. please give feedback.

1/ Audience - Its not just in this video, but i cant tell who hes talking to in these videos?

it cant be developers because they really dont budge unless there is market research behind a statement to make them budge and i can tell you that he does not use market research.
It cant be gamers because all of his content seems like a retread of stuff that we thought last week.
It cant be the uninformed, it seems like his content is for those who know about games well enough to keep their attention.

If it had to be anything, i would guess that his audience is to youtube. a person just scrolling through and enjoys listening to the static of the internet and all of youtube rants.

2/ Presentation - Quit cursing so much. we know your upset for one reason or another but you only drive in reverse when you try and color your commentary. I dont need that here at the escapist. INFACT, the ONLY reason I go to this site is because I know that when I go to check for news and cool videos, Im not greeted by something akin to a profane youtube troll. I come to the escapist because it has given me enough content without insulting my intelligence.

For instance, Ill present to you the same idea he pitched and make it sound more friendly.

(before hand, I have to say that I think Video Games and movies are just mediums for a form of expression and the whole argument that video games are not movies is stupid to begin with. the idea that an experience displayed by actors becomes tarnished or dilluted when putting the viewer in right their place (like in videogames) or vice versa is just outright stupid)

"TITLE:Video games are not movies and movies are not video games.

BODY:
In a time where everything connects via internet or some type of social interaction, we see things in media that have a type of synergy. Take for instance apps for an iphone. while not specificially limited to serving one type of purpose, apps can range from a crossword puzzle to a food finder to -yes- video games. We start to see interactions based on a medium. While this works for somethings like phones and social networks, it does not work for videogames and movies.

My first reason for saying this is age. Movies have been around for a very long time - much longer than video games. In that time, film makers have learned how to convey emotion through facial expression, voice work (or sometimes no voice work) and music. At this point in our culture, what makes a movie has long since been defined. To elaborate i will explain a movie structure.

HOOK - start of movie. get the person interested
INTRO - meet the characters
CONFLICT- character has a problem
RISING ACTION - character builds up to a solution
RESOLTION - problem is solved

almost every movie you've ever seen has this system. Want to know why it doesnt work for video games? Because video games do not have to be held to this constraint. Video games
place the player in the shoes of that person and give them the means to complete a goal, but not the automatic ability to. Most games even PREVENT a player from completing a goal merely to challange them. This may sound absolutely stupid to you gamers out there, but the truth is, there is more interaction in gaming than there is in film. in a film, you watch a character in a world. in a video game, you ARE that character. We should not try and limit either medium with rules that are alien to the experience. a video game player doesnt want to watch what he could be doing, he wants to do it. thats why they are video games.

With that in mind, my second reason is control. Im going to reiterate a bit and say that film makers have been trying to convey certain messages through the medium of movies. the idea there is that they have a story or idea and they want you sit down. they want you to see this idea exactly as they show it to you. they want you to have this
event in your head that exists independant of your own doing or will. they want you to experience the world without you doing anything to change it. this is not the case for
games. It seems like the big thing in games these days is actually seeing the result of your characters choices as dictated by you.

SUM UP: On one side you have a medium that makes you experience something without controlling it and a medium striving to give you MORE control over the experience.

with this in mind, its no wonder that games and movies are so different."

There. that took me....twenty minutes to write. i didnt even spell check it (its 1 am). I didnt have some stupid art of some naked people for no reason.
I didnt curse. I know i dumbed it down a bit (and I even stayed on point with some of his stuff before he started being retarded) but for the most part i feel its short
sweet and to the point.

3/ Marketing - gaming's biggest douchebag? I know that there is some psychological wordplay here about the idea of people polarizing towards an asshole, but that SEEMS
(and, escapist, correct me if im wrong) COUNTERINTUITIVE to this site and the entire game community thus far. I know Yahtzee has a whole big shtick about hating stupid fanboys
and stuff like that, but atleast his hate has some type of substance to it (AND, he balances out his hatred for people with points and opinions as to why they seem stupid to
him [im reminded of the fan mailbag episode]).

Ok
i wrote alot.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I liked it. Good balance of lucid thoughts and humor. I think my mondays just got a little less boring.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Not impressed so far. Just seemed like a random pointless rant, like one of Movie Bob's more angry wanderings without the depth of insight or larger goal that Bob is in service of. Also, see points made much better in the past 20 pages about random swearing not helping. Use it for good effect, or don't use it at all.

That said, I won't dismiss it out of hand. Plenty of room for improvement, but what else can be said of a first episode?

Cheeesus

Apr 18, 2011
As much as I agree with what you have to say, they way you come across makes me want to punch you in the face.

The visuals of you stood there, with way too nervous hand gestures over a badly lit beige background is horrible on the eyes.

I also think you should fix the microphoe, as it is atm, your volume and sound quality shifts from too quiet to too loud and tinny and back again at will.

basically, up the production value and quality and this could be a very intriguing series, otherwise, you will just be some annoying fat nerd trying to be a backroom elitiest :/

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Needs a bit better style then he currently has but I like the points he made and I think it could grow to be quite a good series

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
I personally think his accent is fake and it drives me up the wall; partly because it doesn't sound authentic, but mostly because it lacks colloquialisms from the UK.

This video really lacked any substance and it's really annoying to listen to someone B&G for several minutes forgetting in the fact that video games are still a brand new art form so areas need to be fully explored to realized whether it does or does not work.

Honest opinion: Do not want. Destructoid can keep this guy, so there's no sense in him taking up space here as well. Having read some of his work a while back, I feel that his rants, both on camera and off, are just child-like rants that are heavy in opinion with sporadic factual (or even distorted) data that only proves his point while eschewing that which would poke holes in his argument.

And now I would like to somehow scrub my mind clean of that visual image where he's humping... something in the intro.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
what the hell...is this hahaha

so y'all are paying him for this to be on the Escapist? :/

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
evilstonermonkey said:
Wabblefish said:
Why is no one going to give Jim a second chance?
There have been plenty of Jimquisitions, and I guarantee youm they are all just like this one. Go watch them for yourself. Now, if you wanted to dicuss why not to give him a tenth chance, that's something I can't answer.

I really hope people at the Escapist are reading these comments. We are your community, and hell, now there are people on these forums who pay you guys! I've been here a long while, I've sat through tons of threads like "The Escapist Going Downhill?" and such, and I've seen a lot of changes on the site. But, if this is going to be the next phase of The Escapist, bringing the Jim Sterling show (and some of the people who will follow) to a reasonably articulate and well-mannered community, count me out.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
evilstonermonkey said:
You know, I decided to rewatch this to see if coming at it with a fresh mind after a nap and a coffee might make it more tolerable. I got a little further through than last time, then was so pissed I had to go to the LRR site to rewatch Commodore Hustle episodes. So to anyone that thinks this show is bad, you now must admit that there have been some positive affects.
oh yes, thanks for the reminder. watching/rewatching LRR videos are always a good thing :)

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
He reminds me of the sort of guy who corners you at conventions. Sorry, but being obnoxious isn't being edgy, it's all too sadly typical (contrast to Yahtzee who is cynical, acerbic...and often insightful).

As others have said, the entire video (well, the half of it I could watch) is simply repeating the same three incohate points again. And again. And again.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
I have to admit, I stopped watching about half way through. However the quality of wrighting on games is generally fearly low, it's just that they can get away with it a lot more becouse they have the game play to fall back on. Now the wrighting/acting in film has a rainge too but the wrighting/story we generally see in games is kind of like when we see in vampre movies.

Let me explain my theory. The Underworld movies when compaired to other vampire movies look pretty awsome, but when you compair them to movies in general there actually pretty average. and the worst vampre movies...well just dam!

This seems to have lead some people seem to think that story is a dirty word when it comes to games. You are right that games are not movies, movies are not playes and playes are not books but the fundementals of telling a compelling story have not changed that much over the years.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
Videogames are not movies. So what?
Is that a reason not to make game-movie hybrids? Why should you insult innovative developers?
Pathetic.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Dear Escapist,

The new overlay you have putting this guy IN YOUR FACE whenever you watch any other video is quite frankly, annoying.

Please revert back to what it was, or at least stop shamelessly plugging this fellow here.

-=-

As for this show itself - first time viewer here. Too bad that everyone here will see the video first and won't see this, but the only thing I took out of it comes at 4 minutes in. Of a 5 minute video.

Think about that for a bit.

He's not a bad guy. I'm not sure what he's trying to be, to be honest - a mix between brash, annoying, and trying his hardest to be informative and deep.

'Course, all credibility I'd try to give him goes straight out the window each time he thinks it's brilliant of him to add a dick joke here, and spout expletives there.

Hey man, I get you're trying to be edgy and all, but adding "fuck" to every second sentence makes it seem much more immature than anything.

Also, I get the dropping the mic thing is your gimmick, but it's quite awkward seeing you trying to motion with one hand. If all I'm hearing is talking, then you might as well go the way of the Yahtzee and MovieBob and just put still images. If you want to swing your arms around to illustrate your point (and you seem to like doing that) then get someone to hold a boom for you. Or get a mic stand. Or a clip on mic.

Will see if anything is improved next week.

Doctor_Who22

Mar 17, 2011
For the time I could stand to watch him (about half way) I don't like him.

reasons have been stated by others already, he is not funny, he is not "edgy", he isn't even likeable, he is just annoying.

after his point, which is obvious, he started reaching with his point of view.

by the way, movie quality writing would be writing that could be shown in a movie without the need for gameplay to make up for it. I believe that quality of writing should exist more often in games. just look at anything Valve or Bioware produces. hell, if portal or mass effect had no dialog they would have been far less impressive as a game. and heavy rain was entertaining enough to keep my wife watching ME play. and she has never done that before.

i don't see why this guy even has a show.

SageSays

Mar 17, 2011
Heya, I thought we already had an "Overstating The Obvious" segment in "The Show About Games Show"?

Yes, he is big. Yes, he is a douchebag. This is not a selling point. I can find a douchebag within 15 feet of my front door (something that contributes to my agoraphobia, or possibly just my aggro). Until he learns how to edit (the failings of which are definitely contributing to my aggro), he should stay away from the video format. Please don't pay him for this drivel.

Dooly95 said:
Dear Escapist,

The new overlay you have putting this guy IN YOUR FACE whenever you watch any other video is quite frankly, annoying.

Please revert back to what it was,.. *snip*
This. I don't like him pointing at me. It makes me feel weird. Especially when I'm touching myself.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
All I really got out of this was Apples are not Oranges and Oranges are not Apples. Well, I guess thank you for stating the obvious to those that are less fortunate to not be able to grasp such a simple concept that two different things are different from each other.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
YES! Escapist finally gets a personality that bring something to the table for too long its just been yahtzee and thats it the only reason I'd come to this site now I have 2 reasons.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Icehearted said:
Srdjan said:
Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.
Really, you find a woman slathered in makeup shoving her heaving bosom at viewers more appealing than a rotund man in a suit and tie? Pardon me while I die of shock.

A better idea; what if they exchanged scripts, think his work will be any less or any more appealing when delivered by a woman using sex appeal to sell herself to viewers?

Yeah....
A Rotund man wearing a suit and a tie wearing glasses inside with the wit of a screaming sledgehammer packed on front of a freight train. Or if i can change into a "jimquisition" type of speaking. "A fat fuck, dressed up looking like some wanka from the 90's, calling pussies dicks and cocks."

There is a difference, Lisa is funny, quirky, and generally happy. It's a pleasure to watch her video's with her editing and production values. Yes she is a bit eye candyish, BUT she knows her stuff. which sets her apart then just giving a blonde a script to read.

And to answer your question, No. if she spoke the exact words how he did and used the exact same inflections as he did, I would kick her ass to the curb, and if he did the top 5 in the same way. I dont know... maybe?