Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Drawn penises are not a problem. I prefer that they be well drawn when they are present to an audience. The poor quality of the art does not come across as ironic, or satirical, or anything special. It just comes across as lazy. I know artists who would do art for a reassuring pat on the back, I would like to think you could find someone to help you with your visuals situation.

An alternative: don't draw any of this. Every other commenter on this site has managed to develop a database of pictures relevant to their topic material. In a sense, it marks their expertise in the content to be able to either pull from their OWN files these pictures, or pull from the Internet, knowing where to find them.

Love the suit and glasses.

Why are you doing this against a beige wall? I would recommend a green screen system (if you can manage it), or a drop clothe: white or red.

That is a smashing intro you have there. You are either a professional, or you are not. That creepy humping business can go in my opinion. If not, get some clutter in your videos. That goblet looks lovely, and you appear to have a free hand.

I would not mind you moving around a bit more. You are not attacking the audience, you can look away from us. Mark the point on the floor, and return to it from time to time, but show us that you live in more than a little box. A beige little box.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Levethian said:
After watching this vid, my opinion of the man himself has changed slightly, however:

As a first time viewer (as many of us on the escapist would be), I saw his video on games as movies before I saw this and what I took away from it is that I have another reason to hate Mondays.

The guy's style is similar to that of the Independent Charles Show that was on the xbox live dashboard for a while (anyone remember that?) I watched the first minute or two of the first episode and the first thing that popped into my head was: "Do the guys at the top REALLY think we're entertained by something this dumb?" The same applies here. He uses swear words far to often to the point that it seemed like he was a kid who had just been told by an older sibling what swear words are. Thank god you didn't beep them out, otherwise it would have been five minutes listening to mores code!!

His commentary style doesn't belong on this site in my opinion. Speaking as an avid viewer of Zero punctuation, Escape to the Movies, The Big Picture and Extra Credits, I feel that this show has its aims set at the lower of the cultural brow from seeing this first video. I admit, people that have followed this guy long before he appeared here on the escapist might disagree with me but please understand: This was the guys big chance to get more views as he was exposed to the community here at the escapist and he couldn't have chosen a worse topic and worse video for us to judge him by - first impressions and all that.

Yes, he seems to address issues that would give most of us pause for thought, but the way in which he addresses it leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't the escapist already have Extra Credits to address these issues?

I am offended that the escapist would upload this video for our (alleged) viewing pleasure. Many of you might respond negatively to me saying that, but had I not taken the time to watch a few more of his videos I would be of the mindset that hew as an arrogant douche who could be summarised by: "HAI GUYZ! VIDEOGAMEZ ARE AWUSHUM! THEY AINT MOOVIES, KAY? SAME TIME NEXT WEEK YA'LL!!"

I would like to point out that although I am still of a similar mindset, that is that he shouldn't be on the escapist, I'm sure he's a decent guy who makes intellectually stimulating videos but I shal not be wasting any more of my time with his videos, as I'm sure many here at the escapist will be too as they might not have taken the time to learn more about this guy and dismissed his video and thus his series of videos as the juvenile rant that it seems to be.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
It's like when you're at a party and you have to ask your friend who that guy who just walked in looking like he knows everybody and owns the place is.

Case and point, I feel like I should know this guy but honestly he just sounds like a pretentious dick. Not like the witty, clever, entertaining kind either. I'll give it maybe 2 more episodes to be fair. But I'm not liking it at all.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
Not a fan. There's a reason why people tend to script their commentary. It allows them to make coherent, valid points. The video game vs actual violence vid had 1 good point - real violence is fundamentally different from actual violence, and it milked that for 5 SOLID MINUTES... Also, showing a man kill himself is in bad taste to begin with, but to then ape it at the end of that video? Fuck you sir. FUCK YOU.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
House_Vet said:
Not a fan. There's a reason why people tend to script their commentary. It allows them to make coherent, valid points. The video game vs actual violence vid had 1 good point - real violence is fundamentally different from actual violence, and it milked that for 5 SOLID MINUTES... Also, showing a man kill himself is in bad taste to begin with, but to then ape it at the end of that video? Fuck you sir. FUCK YOU.
I agree, it was in bad taste to show a man killing himself to draw a parallel, especially given there was little warning as he didn't mention how shocking it would be.

If he wanted to draw a more relevant parallel to call of duty (which was the backbone of that video) He should have used the clip of the ITV news crew coming under fire back in about 2006 when they were out on patrol with some British troops. The entire film is them dropping to the floor and crawling to cover. Literally, we're shown the camera being dragged along the ground to the sounds of gunfire (nobody gets hurt, but it went on to say they were pinned there for an hour). That's real violence, aka call of duty.

The clip he used did not best fit the argument he was making.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
Ugh. Not this guy again. I don't want to hate on the guy specically, but his routine is really old. Pretend to be incensed about some general topic or something, rant into the microphone. From what I've seen there's rarely any insight or genuinely funny bits. To be fair, his articles on destructoid aren't half bad.

Bring back the blonde girl with lollypops in her shirt. Watching her jump up and down for 4 minutes was a lot more fun.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Nice video, I agree with his point and I like the way he brings his point across. A welcome change of pace from that blow-heart Moviebob.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ruley said:
Wordsssss...
You sir, are my hero! I agree totally, the Escapist is better than this trash and it'd be too soon if I never see this video series again.

Yahtzee, MovieBob and Extra Cedits all make valid points which we can all appreciate, even if we don't agree. This was just rambling nonsense which made my ears hurt.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Kinda felt like he was just stating the obvious. I mean, he didn't say anything that hasn't been said a million times already by Yatzee, Extra Credits, or Moviebob. Kind of like how what I just said has already been said by about a million other viewers.

Also: Tommy Wissau's dick? Kind of unnecessary. And hypocritical of the Escapist, since I was once but on probation for using the phrase "my wang". Fun fact.

ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.
Nah, Jimquisition is easy to say. It's like Inquisition, but with Jim instead.
Of course, this would have made a rather un-intimidating inquisition. As it stands, the name is very USI-ish.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Icehearted said:
Srdjan said:
Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.
Really, you find a woman slathered in makeup shoving her heaving bosom at viewers more appealing than a rotund man in a suit and tie? Pardon me while I die of shock.

A better idea; what if they exchanged scripts, think his work will be any less or any more appealing when delivered by a woman using sex appeal to sell herself to viewers?

Yeah....
A day late, but are we really still on the "Has tits. Attack!" line of reasoning? I thought we were off that.

OffT: This is the only board anywhere on the webz where I have trouble highlighting and deleting word. It just cuts out and drags the words somewhere I didn't want it. I blame captchas.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Uncleblaze said:
This is America
Actually, this is the internet. We have no need for borders here. Also, I may not have liked this video that much myself, but really, that just wasn't very nice of you. Or civil.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Stewie Plisken said:
I have no desire to bash the show in terms of production value, presentation, quality etc.
You are a better man than I then, cause this bothers me alot. I've seen youtube commentators with better production value

spitting in the mic, sound going in and out due to poor hardware, the MS paint thing, the dropping of the mic in the end, etc etc

midway he says "hideo kojima is the steven spielberg of film" while clearly he meant "of videogames" how does this get through? was this movie made in 1 take on with a laptop camera and sent out as a "good enough" try. wtf Escapist ....

points made while rehashed were not that bad, but this would work better in a text format. Even the monotone music annoyed me by the end

Uncleblaze

Sep 7, 2009
oh sorry its a take from boondocks i thought was funny to reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUOHctF0H_s&feature=player_embedded

Xin Baixiang

Feb 25, 2009
Yeah...don't like it. And advertising him in that stupid border around the video player tactic made me not like it even more.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
neon_samurai said:
Wait
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049934/

now im confused
AAAAHAHAHAHA~! You, my fellow Escapist member, deserve a gold star.

To Jim: DO SOME RESEARCH, YOU OVER BLOATED HACK!

SoDaRa

Jan 7, 2009
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
That was supposed to be the entertaining part? I was more interested in what he was talking about. I also don't think this was a joke, per say. I mean it had jokes, being the game clips, but it wasn't a video make specifically to make you laugh. It was more to prove a point to whom it may concern, which it is okay if it doesn't matter to you. And I don't mean to accuse you or make you seem to be a bad person or whatever. I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person. I'm just not sure you got the point.