Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

May 17, 2010
I didn't like it. Was he emant to be funny or informing? As I didn't laugh nor did he raise any new or interesting points at all.

If he is funny then understand that swearing and shouting might work when you are a kid and people think it's forbidden. But as an adult it's really going to get old. Look at Yahtzee and you can see that while he does swear, there is something else usually both the visual images he creates (baby eating mothet theresa) and his whole personna.

If informing then he's going to have work at lot harder at coming up with a better format for getting across his view. And change his tone as he sounds too much like a Shipper seeing the ending of Harry Potter.

He could get better, indeed I hope so but I'm not really looking forward to it.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
You know for all the credibility the Escapist has had for a good stretch this just goes on to establish my feeling that this whole gaming media endeavor is based on a bunch of monkey's looking for odd twats on Youtube they think will drive some traffic and making offers to said odd twats that allow said odd twats to expose their corpulent personalities on the rest of the world without much care, in the senior editors office for experience, qualification or even talent in regards to said odd twats.

And yes I'm pointing the finger at you guys, the Escapist yahoo's that are running out of ideas.

I really don't care that this twit's a game reviewer for a website I've never bothered reading. And if being a life long gamer is some kind of qualification for being a game critic then I think there are a few hundred million people that might have more talent at it than this neurotic gimp.

I personally was playing Space Invaders on stand up consoles in arcades for a quarter per 3 lives back in the day, I moved on in my life to become an independent game developer with absolutely no classical education in the field who has been running a small but personally successful online RPG for the last seven years and I can't even get these people at the Escapist to accept a guest editorial unless I write about what THEY want me to write about, yet some neurotic British guy who happens to piss off the gaming internet on occasion is certainly more qualified than me to opine on the nature of gaming on a world wide medium while drawing bad pictures of penises in MSPaint and gabbling into a microphone as if he knows what hes talking about.

Forget the subject matter entirely, I certainly did no more than a few seconds after the video was over, the issue is, this is complete crap, and some neurotic British guy with an eating disorder and a comics collection that probably takes up the entirety of his mothers basement is no more qualified to be spewing video opinions on the nature of gaming than pretty much anyone that bothers to read this site for gaming news cause its the only site that is not 98.7% full of crap dependent on who's paying it at the time.

Simple Pr0tip for you folks at the Escapist, if you want to try to engage the gaming public with gaming opinions that matter, how about at least sticking with people who have enough industry experience to be able to draw a quasi-acceptable rendition of a cock to illustrate their "witticisms" in a software suite they actually had to license at their own personal or business expense and not waste your time on critics who have no actual industry experience.

There is a reason Yahtzee is good at what he does its because he has experience, independent, self motivated experience and at least he's capable of mashing up amusing animations in Flash on top of that.

This twit's qualifications seem to be he writes reviews on another site, has played games his whole life (and collected comics, just to complete the "geek equation", I wonder if he LARPS at conventions? Probably.), his British accent and the fact that hes visually repelling might evoke a reaction. And this very same site won't even accept a guest editorial from me, and I've got seven years of completely bootstrap indy gaming credibility.

In closing, you're a gaming media outlet, and yes you need content to drive the success of that endeavor, my suggestion is you might want to spend your time focusing on content that might have some redeeming factors, to be frank, even excluding myself as far more qualified than this guy to be in the business of analyzing gaming at a critical level, I can think of about 200,000 people on Youtube via their webcams that might be a bit more qualified than this person in regards to spouting their opinions on games and the conventions they're built around or under.

Bad game TE, bad game. Pardon me while I go hammer together some fresh PHP into the Wordpress engine, plaster a witty domain name on it and call myself a "game reviewer" and whore my domain all over Google's search index to ensure everyone knows I'm qualified...oh wait, I have five hundred thousand people that have played a game I designed in my underpants....sorry I guess I have better things to do.

May 17, 2010
Icehearted said:
DragonSama said:
Icehearted said:
Really, you find a woman slathered in makeup shoving her heaving bosom at viewers more appealing than a rotund man in a suit and tie? Pardon me while I die of shock.

A better idea; what if they exchanged scripts, think his work will be any less or any more appealing when delivered by a woman using sex appeal to sell herself to viewers?

Yeah....
You mean he had a Script for this? Because it honestly didn't sound like it.
No idea, but it would be especially dumb to make a video of this nature without some forethought, planning, and writing. Some of it seemed pretty badly improvised though. My point was more that people would be less harsh about their criticism if he was like Lisa Foiles because he'd have the sex appeal crutch to rest on as well.
I get that but unfortunately in a website in which I am reasonbly confident that quit a few people are boys, that will happen regardless. I would like to stress that comments aren't relative however, when I criticise him it doesn't mean that I am indirectly praising her.

Uncleblaze

Sep 7, 2009
Pr0 said:
You know for all the credibility the Escapist has had for a good stretch this just goes on to establish my feeling that this whole gaming media endeavor is based on a bunch of monkey's looking for odd twats on Youtube they think will drive some traffic and making offers to said odd twats that allow said odd twats to expose their corpulent personalities on the rest of the world without much care, in the senior editors office for experience, qualification or even talent in regards to said odd twats.

And yes I'm pointing the finger at you guys, the Escapist yahoo's that are running out of ideas.

I really don't care that this twit's a game reviewer for a website I've never bothered reading. And if being a life long gamer is some kind of qualification for being a game critic then I think there are a few hundred million people that might have more talent at it than this neurotic gimp.

I personally was playing Space Invaders on stand up consoles in arcades for a quarter per 3 lives back in the day, I moved on in my life to become an independent game developer with absolutely no classical education in the field who has been running a small but personally successful online RPG for the last seven years and I can't even get these people at the Escapist to accept a guest editorial unless I write about what THEY want me to write about, yet some neurotic British guy who happens to piss off the gaming internet on occasion is certainly more qualified than me to opine on the nature of gaming on a world wide medium while drawing bad pictures of penises in MSPaint and gabbling into a microphone as if he knows what hes talking about.

Forget the subject matter entirely, I certainly did no more than a few seconds after the video was over, the issue is, this is complete crap, and some neurotic British guy with an eating disorder and a comics collection that probably takes up the entirety of his mothers basement is no more qualified to be spewing video opinions on the nature of gaming than pretty much anyone that bothers to read this site for gaming news cause its the only site that is not 98.7% full of crap dependent on who's paying it at the time.

Simple Pr0tip for you folks at the Escapist, if you want to try to engage the gaming public with gaming opinions that matter, how about at least sticking with people who have enough industry experience to be able to draw a quasi-acceptable rendition of a cock to illustrate their "witticisms" in a software suite they actually had to license at their own personal or business expense and not waste your time on critics who have no actual industry experience.

There is a reason Yahtzee is good at what he does its because he has experience, independent, self motivated experience and at least he's capable of mashing up amusing animations in Flash on top of that.

This twit's qualifications seem to be he writes reviews on another site, has played games his whole life (and collected comics, just to complete the "geek equation", I wonder if he LARPS at conventions? Probably.), his British accent and the fact that hes visually repelling might evoke a reaction. And this very same site won't even accept a guest editorial from me, and I've got seven years of completely bootstrap indy gaming credibility.

In closing, you're a gaming media outlet, and yes you need content to drive the success of that endeavor, my suggestion is you might want to spend your time focusing on content that might have some redeeming factors, to be frank, even excluding myself as far more qualified than this guy to be in the business of analyzing gaming at a critical level, I can think of about 200,000 people on Youtube via their webcams that might be a bit more qualified than this person in regards to spouting their opinions on games and the conventions they're built around or under.

Bad game TE, bad game. Pardon me while I go hammer together some fresh PHP into the Wordpress engine, plaster a witty domain name on it and call myself a "game reviewer" and whore my domain all over Google's search index to ensure everyone knows I'm qualified...oh wait, I have five hundred thousand people that have played a game I designed in my underpants....sorry I guess I have better things to do.
This guy = win

nacthenud

Sep 23, 2010
Didn't enjoy this video in style, deliver or message. Doubt I'll be watching future episodes.

strobe

Jun 3, 2010
I first met Jim on Destructoid (which I don't rate that highly on the whole, either); I don't really like him. I agree with BlindChance before me and dislike Jim's delivery and style.

Jim's accent is lame. Is it southern? I'd kinda like to know so I can avoid that place just like how I try to stay away from people from Preston.

He's really fat too.

Ruley said:
I accept that some accents can be paired with the overuse of words such as the scouse accent with the word "like" but I have never seen a link to a certain accent with swearing and as a member of the UK, surely I would have?
The charvers near me all say "daft ****" all the time. I think that's regional.

jrcillian

Nov 25, 2009
I feel this guy is wrong in most of his points and also just an asshat. Why are we giving him credence again? Just a question.

jrcillian

Nov 25, 2009
I'd say I prefer Lisa to him because she's remotely entertaining. She is pretty, but she is well-written as well and has some sort of coherence. This was like listening to that guy at a wedding reception that wants to talk about model trains at you all night long and seems to follow you where ever you happen to be. Can't shake the blessed bastard.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
For.I.Am.Mad said:
If there was a picture to epitomize douche.....
You know as I continue to think about it, even the self proclamation of being gaming's biggest douche bag is a trite and flagellant attempt to make himself out as something that he doesn't have the talent to achieve.

I really hate to be so negative but far as the Heavyweight Title for Douchbaggery in Gaming or on the Internet goes, that is a pretty heavily contested field and this guy is not even playing in the minor league, metaphorically, in the contest for gaming's biggest douche bag. He's not even playing in the kiddie tee ball league, comparatively.

The whole thing stinks, lack of talent, lack of anything profoundly interesting to say that hasn't been said before by a thousand people with far more capability of selling themselves to other people, and given the tie, the ridiculous suit and the sunglasses it just screams "I came up with a gimmick let me see how far I can shove it down peoples throats on the internet."

Technically in true troll or douche bag style all this negative feedback is, according to the Spotters Guide for Trolls on the Internet, a complete win, in trolling/douche bag theory. But when your troll gimmick comes across as a gimmick, you're not the biggest douche bag in gaming or even the biggest douche bag in the square mile of the planet you live on, you're just an epic failure.

So seriously I suppose beyond this I don't really need to respond further and I won't. I'd suggest everyone else probably do the same and we can hope the folks at TE aren't in the business of "even bad publicity is still publicity" and they let this guy fade back off to wherever he came from. Its probably the best we can hope for.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Pr0 said:
Technically in true troll or douche bag style all this negative feedback is, according to the Spotters Guide for Trolls on the Internet, a complete win, in trolling/douche bag theory. But when your troll gimmick comes across as a gimmick, you're not the biggest douche bag in gaming or even the biggest douche bag in the square mile of the planet you live on, you're just an epic failure.
This is something that bugs me a lot about aspiring internet critics in general. If your persona summary contains "asshole" or any similar word, you're not being a harsh critic, or telling it like it is... you're just being an ironic self-aware asshole. Which is just as pretentious and shitty as it sounds.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I didn't even realize that this was meant to REPLACE Lisa Foiles. I would watch Lisa if she came back but I won't beg and plead for her return either, but honestly she was WAY better than Jimquisition. I'd actually watch Lisa Foiles to kill time on a Monday. If Jimquisition stays as it is now, I will go out of my way to avoid it.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
Pr0 said:
For.I.Am.Mad said:
If there was a picture to epitomize douche.....
, according to the Spotters Guide for Trolls on the Internet,
You need a fucking spotters guide? Really? A dude with Anon as his avatar doesn't know how to spot a troll?

OT: This guy is pretentious as all hell. He reeks of a newfag who saw Yahtzee and said to himself I CAN TOTALLY BE MOAR OF A JERK THAN THAT, Ignoring the fact that Yahtzee at least tries to be intelligent sometimes

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
While I liked the points he brought up, I would have like more in depth examples of movie methods being jerry rigged into video games besides Heavy Rain. His article on "Casual" gamers was pure gold though, I'll probably watch his new stuff if I see it.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Pr0 said:
The thing is, though... I don't think anyone is actually disagreeing with his points. The most common thing people seem to be arguing with is his assertation that he's the biggest douche in gaming - so at best, perhaps he's gotten some sort of weird meta-troll victory, if you interpret 'people pointing out an incorrect or dubious statement' as 'successful trolling'.