Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
This game has gone from hyping bullshots to just downright silly. But let's be honest, giving fans what they want isn't why there doing completely nonsensical, anti-consumer collector editions. There doing this so they can get double-dippers and if you're unwilling to double-dip now, don't worry they'll be saving the all-inclusive "complete edition" for next year where they finally release all the game's content onto one disc/digital medium.

I'm getting really tired of the game industry's tricks. Always trying to mess with customers, just in a different way. It's why I've been just constantly playing old games and haven't even really bought but 1 new game in over a year. Hell, I wouldn't have even played Pokemon Y if it weren't for that free nintendo giveaway thing. I wasn't too pleased with that game either. Glad I got it free.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
I'm beginning to think gaming consumers deserve this type of marketing. Nevermind the children, casual consumers, or idiots who fall prey to hype and dazzle, but there are literally people buying these who know this is an escalating issue and refuse to do or say anything about it all because they just want to play the game in question. No amount of exposé articles or internet whining is going to change Ubisoft or EA's behavior when you still hand over your money in the end.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Wuvlycuddles said:
And the saddest thing of all is there will be one place where you can get ALL the bonus content in one.... piracy!

Kinda pathetic that the people who aren't even paying for it are getting the better more complete version of something.
Yeah, well sadly when you have the anti-consumer market we have somebody's gotta fix their mistakes. Unfortunately it has to be these people.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
igor2201 said:
I just want to point out that if you actually read the spreadsheet, you'd notice that outside of the playstation exclusive content, the standard edition game and season pass nabs you all content for the game thats locked out in "special editions"

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that all the stuff you cant get using those 2 items are physical things.
Yeah but you also end up paying more for no reason.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Let me guess. If I download this game like a scummy pirate, I will get all of the contents without paying extra and buying several different collectors editions?

Boy the gaming industry sure is making it hard for me to support them.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I was really hopeful for this game.

So let's see, they've gimped the graphics and now you can't buy the full game at all without spending maybe twice or three times as much as you should.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO FUCK UP THE RELEASE OF A GAME SO BADLY?! GOD DAMN IT UBISOFT I WAS REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS ONE.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
XDSkyFreak said:
Heh ... they offer us choice ... thank you great and powerfull overlords, but i would invoke the assassins creed black flag route ;) I'm sure the high seas will eventualy lead me to a complete version of the game that has every piece of content you retarded fuckwits cut out and portioned off to try and get extra money ...

Because of course they will sell every piece of content as DLC so you pay money for the collectors edition, then pay more money for the Season Pass, and you top it all off with extra cash to get all the other launch day content your version didn't have. It's ESO all over again ... this is starting to become a trend ... well at least my wallet sudenly became safe because ironicaly the game's industry doesn't want my money anymore ...

You know what the sad thing is? Dimwited fuckwits will buy the game the moment it arrives, hell preorders are probably out allready on steam and on other platforms ... fucking retarded people who can't tell the soap falling on the floor is just a decoy for the big publishers to take out their gold plated *redacted* and shove them up their *redacted*. I'm just waiting to see what the day one sells and preorder sells are so I can do some simple math and find out how many idiots are out there.
Yeah I agree. In fact I would argue that choices aren't given, they are created/made by the individual making them. So a corporation telling us our options aren't really helping us in anyway, they are just helping themselves.

And as for people, I was already losing a lot of faith anyway, but I've lost almost all of it since the almost unanimous acceptance of Pokemon Bank, not the idea of extra box space (which in all fairness could've fit in the cartridge anyway), but the bribing away (robbing) of the ability to trade old mons' from older versions unless you pay an indefinite fee. Irrespective of how cheap it is, it's the priniciple of it. The fact that they took hostage a feature innate to all previous pokemon games before it, gen trading, and put it behind a paywall and almost everyone accepted it just kind of disgusted me. So I'm not getting any new pokemon games from here on out, unless its for free like I got Y version.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Apl_J said:
I'm beginning to think gaming consumers deserve this type of marketing. Nevermind the children, casual consumers, or idiots who fall prey to hype and dazzle, but there are literally people buying these who know this is an escalating issue and refuse to do or say anything about it all because they just want to play the game in question. No amount of exposé articles or internet whining is going to change Ubisoft or EA's behavior when you still hand over your money in the end.
Yeah probably the thing that bothers me most about society today, is the lack of sane individuals who stand up for anything. Just so long as they get "some" form of entertainment they'll just shut their mouths and say nothing. Even going as far as to defend these companies.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
tdylan said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Is there a console collectors edition that makes it run at 60FPS in 1080p? They should make the "Broken promises" edition or maybe just the "You are a gullible fool" edition for per-orders.
"Broken Promises" and "Gullible Fool" sound like the names of "episodic dlc," don't they?

Is this why the game was delayed? In order to get all this "extra content" finished?
If i ever make a game those are the DLCs given to the season pas buyers.
Why not include "Company Retreat" and "Christmas Bonuses" while you're at it?

OT: I have decided to get the Wii U version (if I get it at all) so I know how well the game gets received like half a year before it's out. They have convinced me not to get the collector's edition already, maybe they'll give me enough reasons to not get it before it's 50% off too. We'll see, come on Ubisoft, you might even convince me not to get it at all if you keep this up.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i actually like specials editions if they have things in it i like. i do like sculptures and soundtracks. the latest special edition was black list and i actually enjoyed it. the statue is nice, the comic was nearly 100 pages and comfortable to read. i wanted to get AC4 but no, hong kong does not like CE so they dont bother selling them.
but i do agree that 5 editions is stupid. i lost interest in this game anyway. after seeing angry joes interview that other players can join in, was the last straw for me to skip it entirely.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Demonchaser27 said:
And as for people, I was already losing a lot of faith anyway, but I've lost almost all of it since the almost unanimous acceptance of Pokemon Bank, not the idea of extra box space (which in all fairness could've fit in the cartridge anyway), but the bribing away (robbing) of the ability to trade old mons' from older versions unless you pay an indefinite fee. Irrespective of how cheap it is, it's the priniciple of it. The fact that they took hostage a feature innate to all previous pokemon games before it, gen trading, and put it behind a paywall and almost everyone accepted it just kind of disgusted me. So I'm not getting any new pokemon games from here on out, unless its for free like I got Y version.
I don't know where you've been since I saw a whole lot of complaints over them charging 5 dollars a year for Pokebank, but sure, let's say it was accepted by most.

Pokebank didn't simply offer more boxes and not having those boxes isn't a big deal anyway. There are currently 719 Pokemon. There are 930 boxes meaning if you have managed to catch all and you for some reason decided to have ever stage of evolution for all the Pokemon that evolves you'd still be left with 211 open spaces to use for breeding. Considering the amount of spaces, the fact that you won't actually need Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard to take up 3 different spaces you got enough boxes in the core game.

So why does Pokemon Bank even exist? Why would anyone want to close the game just to access a single Pokemon then open the game to use that Pokemon if there's a simpler way? The thing is people wouldn't. There is no reason to use Pokemon Bank if you just play one game. It's there for transferring between games. Now let's look at transferring Pokemon between games. What do I need to transfer my Victini from Pokemon White to White 2. Well, I need another console for starters. Getting one now would mean either a DSi, 3DS or 2DS, the cheapest (new) one (using Amazon.com) is the 2DS which I can get for 110 dollars. That's as much as it would cost me to get 22 years of Pokemon Bank. Clearly they must be ripping me off here!

Then there's the process of transferring Pokemon using Pokemon Bank versus the process of trading individual Pokemon. Have you ever tried trading 100 Pokemon from one DS to another? First you need to get a number of Pokemon you don't want, this used to be accomplished by catching tons of Pidgey and Ratata since they were more common than dirt and easy to catch. This would still take you some time, but regardless of how tedious it was you'd still be able to get all your Pokemon over so it was worth the effort. Then after catching all those 30 Pokemon (you were supposed to get 100+, but you got sick after one Pidgey kept refusing to get caught and you killed it using Hyperbeam) there's the trading.

One at a time. Wathing the same animation over and over. Getting told the same message over and over. Saving the game after each Pokemon has been transferred. Being kind and optimistic here we could estimate that this takes at least 1 minute each time. So after just a few hours you have been able to transfer all err most at least some of your beloved Pokemon. Granted you didn't encounter any connection errors causing the changes to be reverted and made you start the process of booting up, searching for a system and transferring Pokemon over again in the same time consuming process.

So... it did take some time, but at least it only cost you 100 bucks!

What about Pokemon Bank then? How long do you have to spend transferring those 100 Pokemon? About the same amount it would take to move those Pokemon from box 1, 2, 3 and 4 to box 5, 6, 7 and 8 actually. That's somewhere around 5 minutes or so?

So what you're saying here is that 5 minutes of tedious moving and on top of that we have to PAY for it? No way! I'll stick with the 100 dollar method and spend hours. I can't understand how anyone would accept paying such vast amount of money (5 dollars) just to avoid the hours of throwing ultra balls at level 2 Pokemon and then watching an animation that is overly time consuming 100 times.

Askis

May 20, 2014
After looking at that spreadsheet, it's interesting to note a few things...
First off, only PS4 users can buy the game on disc, so PC users get no physical goodies, unless they buy a PS4 version and buy it again for PC, maybe resell the disc without the extras.

Also, there seems to be only one good way of getting most of the digital extras, which is buying the standard Digital Edition and the Season Pass, which costs us Europeans a total of 70 Euros right now (80 after release).
The only thing you miss out on is the White Hat Pack.

Buying the Digital "Deluxe" Edition for 60(70 after release) gives you a few extras including White Hat, but not the Blume Agent Pack, Deadsec Pack, the T-Bone Campaign and Conspiracy mode, so if you want those, thats another 20 for the Season Pass, even though most of the extras from the pass are in the Deluxe Edition anyway.

And then the PC version seems to require both Steam and Uplay. *sigh*

I really don't get what's going on at Ubisoft, but if they want to reduce the rate of Piracy on PC, this is not the way. At all...

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Pretty much I only get the collector's editions for Blizzards games now.

Not only are they cheaper than most standard edition games here in Australia, but they come with real good stuff like thick art books, soundtracks and behind-the-scenes stuff.

It seems other companies only do cheap statues and some postcards and charge like double.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Ha, good one.
So how many times do you have to buy the game to get all the content of the game?

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
HAHAHAHAH.....
AHAHAHAHA.....
HUEHUEHUE.....
no.

Ubisoft, i know why i have not bought anything from you since ever.....
This is activision level of moneygrabbing.
And for a gam that looks fckn pointless to boot!

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
HAHAHAHAH.....
AHAHAHAHA.....
HUEHUEHUE.....
no.

Ubisoft, i know why i have not bought anything from you since ever.....
This is activision level of moneygrabbing.
And for a gam that looks fckn pointless to boot!

captcha:
get out

I already am out...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
thephill said:
Yeah. I got the special edition GTA 5, but i have owned every gta game since the first, even the ones that were on handheld like chinatown wars. Watch dogs is new IP, we don't know if its gonna be good, if it is maybe get the special edition of the sequel.Maybe. Also one version comes with the 'iconic' hat. Can a character's costume be iconic if no-ones played it yet and also it's just a regular hat? Really, it's just a baseball cap.
I didn't get the super duper edition of GTA 5 but I did get the one step up edition with the map and yes, I have played all the other games in the series extensively. Shit the handheld ones (Chinatown Wars & VCS especially) were a couple of my favorites. And GTA 5 is a game that I'm still playing 8 months later thanks to monthly free updates to GTA Online. Aside: It's the creator (and the fact we're allowed to glitch with it) update that keeps me hooked.

This is a great turnaround from their last big release LA Noir which had this same Watch Dogs BS with different gameplay content being auctioned off to different retailers. That turned LA Noir from a must buy to must rent, then later buy GOTY; purely because it reeked of desperation. It was a fun rental but I never bought it.

Now Watch Dogs Reeks of desperation (and bullshit) and I'm just going to rent it. If it is really good, I'll wait for the GOTY edition but I have a strong feeling the rental will suffice.

Hell, if they keep updating GTAV the way they have been, I may never buy another game again....no that's just crazy talk.