Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
uro vii said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Now granted with the next gen looking to make consoles into shitty PC's, instead of like Jim said and a staying slightly behind the curve, this argument may have some merit, but until that time where I no longer have to carry around a sticky note with my system specs written down when I go shopping, I'm staying console.
This is really a non-issue. I've never even heard of someone getting a game that turned out to somehow be incompatible with their pc, nevermind experienced it, and I've bought hundreds of games and have a large number of friends and family who've bought as much if not more than I have. And if you mean in terms of hitting minimum specs, you'd have to be quite ridiculously out of touch in order for you to have no idea whether your hardware is recent enough to be compatible.
Oh well EXCUUUUUSE me, Mister Moneybags! But I don't have access to the vast stores of wealth you clearly have to afford all this stuff! I had to make do with my dad's hand-me-downs, a 500 Mhz rig that chugged on Internet Explorer. Hell it chugged on Half-Life 1. It was barely compatible with stuff from 2004, let alone today. We got rid of it when the whole family switched to Mac's.

> complains about being poor.

>> OWNS A MAC.

Let me guess, you have an ipod, an Iphone, and beats by Dr. Dre too?
I never said I was poor. I don't technically own the mac, my dad does.

You are jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth.
Original post from the system quote message:

"Okay, that made me laugh, allow me to elaborate; The mac, the iPhone, the Ipod, they technically belong to my parents. If I was to spring for a top of the line gaming PC with eyegasm resolutions, I'd have to buy it myself. Even with my current job I would not be able to afford the fucking thing.

Besides; the iMac is cheaper than whatever gaming rig you have. Stabler too.

So do me a favor, and bog off and stop twisting my words and jumping to conclusions."

Imac costs an upwards of 1,200-2,000.

My gaming rig cost me 800$, 700 if you don't include the charge to put it all together. See how cheap everything is if you don't have to pay the brand tax?

Keep in mind this is around 2-3 year old rig. Yet it can compare to a new Imac rather easily in specs if what I read is correct.

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2500
Radeon 6850.
1 TB hard drive.
8 gigs of ram. I almost had double for cheap but the store ran out. It was a sale at Christmas time.

I never have crashes or issue either. Wanna know why? Because this isn't 1989 and I know not to go and download files from a Nigerian prince promising millions.

So no, the Imac isn't cheaper nor is it more stable. You are paying for branding, nothing more.
Oh well then, since you know so much about my computer, you should know that it actually cost less than that.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Here's the kicker for me: Used games are the only way I can get games for the prices they deserve to have paid for them (and, of course, that still doesn't affect games that have large chunks of their content behind DRM... I'm looking at you, Disgaea 3).

I'd gladly throw twenty at Portal/2 or thirty for Civ... being who I am, one who dropped 120USD on Phantasy Star 4 (just as my parents did at launch, which makes for a fun story...), I don't mind paying for games I love. I've chucked... 400USD at games on Kickstarter in the past year. I'm going to be snagging Pier Solar once I get my OUYA... but there's not enough fantastic experiences, and those that would be are *way* too expensive at 60 a pop. I think the last console game I paid full price for was... Brawl, actually, for a day-one tourny (second in 2p, first in team)... though I did buy FFXIII with the 360, so that sorta counts...

Neither was worth it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
jmarquiso said:
This. Origin is actually very well made and doesn't take as much Memory as Steam. That said, I rarely open it as I have like 2 games on it. I also never see adverts for EA games because of this.
Mmmm...I must thoroughly disagree on a few things here.

Origin is definitely not well made. Even now it's still incredibly unstable. Far more so than Steam usually is. Something that shouldn't be the case given that it's essentially just a rebuilt EA Download Manager with a new (awful*) UI and a few new social features.

[sub]* and I do mean awful. The main window even has dead mouse space with no rendered background present.[/sub]

Secondly, while I can't vouch for every system, on every one I've used Origin has used more system resources than Steam. With consistency.

Right now I have Steam open and running several functions. From multiple text and voice chat windows, downloading two games and an update, and updating my profile page.

Yet, a quick glance at my resource manager shows: ~5% CPU usage and between eighty and one hundred fifty megs of RAM.

Origin generally utilizes from 1% to 10% and around one hundred fifty megs while idle.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Again, this is only from the wide range of systems I've used personally or from the experiences of others that I've talked with. I can't say this is true for all systems. In fact, I'm sure it's not.

Also, I'll grant, that I haven't used Origin recently. So perhaps the issue was a long standing memory leak of some kind that has since been patched. I'll have to look into it again.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Just to chime in on the PC hardware discussion: It is my impression that hardware development reached its peak in 2006/2007 and has since slowed down considerably. My PC, which I bought in 2008 for about 1000? still runs most games on high or very high detail and resolution. That would have been unthinkable even six, seven years ago, when PCs were outdated pretty much immediately after you bought them. Now, though, seems a pretty good time to buy one since technology has hit its ceiling.

That, by the way, is also the reason why these new consoles aren't really THAT superior to their predecessors - the average hardware requirements just haven't moved very far since 2008.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Personally I don't agree with PC DRM policies like that of Sim City or Diablo III where you NEED to do the online authorization every time you want to play the game. It's pointless and serves the same purpose as console DRM to basically alienate a percentage of gamers, while also making the games sometimes unplayable due to personal circumstances.

However I do fully support DRM such as game codes and account linked games. Since often the serial number is unique enough to ensure that a game is the real thing, or that if a game is linked to a account it makes it so only one PC can play the game at a given time. (Although creative policies such as "Glitching" the hacked game are also entirely acceptable. Such as Batman Arkham City where gliding is disabled, or Grand Theft Auto 4 where the world starts wobbling and cars are instantly dropped to 1% health when you enter them).

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Yet that seems to you to be more likely somehow.
Huh... well it seemed unlikely to alot of people that the goverment was actually spying on them...

And along came a prism..

And you think EA or other companies would not take the chance and spy on their costumers? Heck Microsoft even admitted that their xbone kinect will infact listen to everything thats said in the room and analyse it somehow to bring targeted advertisement to the xbones dashboard.

You see evidence is actually in favor of it being allmost certain that companies ARE spying on us.

One of the reasons that the PC market has much more DRM and gets away with it is also the ease of creating copies of Games.

Its so piss easy that Gamestores werent accepting used copies of PC games even before Steam really got rolling.

A console is DRM in itselfe because it only accepts "original" discs and not something you burned yourselfe.

A PC does not care what type of disc you put in, it will accept it and the data on said discs.

People have come to terms with the fact that theres more DRM on PCs because the PC itselfe doesnt limit anything.

But console hardware in itselfe limits your freedom so putting something ontop of that that limites your freedom even more is no acceptable.

And since every PC nowadays comes with a burn drive its kinda obvious why the PC game market is in its current state.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
uro vii said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Now granted with the next gen looking to make consoles into shitty PC's, instead of like Jim said and a staying slightly behind the curve, this argument may have some merit, but until that time where I no longer have to carry around a sticky note with my system specs written down when I go shopping, I'm staying console.
This is really a non-issue. I've never even heard of someone getting a game that turned out to somehow be incompatible with their pc, nevermind experienced it, and I've bought hundreds of games and have a large number of friends and family who've bought as much if not more than I have. And if you mean in terms of hitting minimum specs, you'd have to be quite ridiculously out of touch in order for you to have no idea whether your hardware is recent enough to be compatible.
Oh well EXCUUUUUSE me, Mister Moneybags! But I don't have access to the vast stores of wealth you clearly have to afford all this stuff! I had to make do with my dad's hand-me-downs, a 500 Mhz rig that chugged on Internet Explorer. Hell it chugged on Half-Life 1. It was barely compatible with stuff from 2004, let alone today. We got rid of it when the whole family switched to Mac's.

>> OWNS A MAC.

"Okay, that made me laugh, allow me to elaborate; The mac, the iPhone, the Ipod, they technically belong to my parents. If I was to spring for a top of the line gaming PC with eyegasm resolutions, I'd have to buy it myself. Even with my current job I would not be able to afford the fucking thing.

So do me a favor, and bog off and stop twisting my words and jumping to conclusions."

My gaming rig cost me 800$, 700 if you don't include the charge to put it all together. See how cheap everything is if you don't have to pay the brand tax?

Keep in mind this is around 2-3 year old rig. Yet it can compare to a new Imac rather easily in specs if what I read is correct.

Radeon 6850.
1 TB hard drive.
8 gigs of ram. I almost had double for cheap but the store ran out. It was a sale at Christmas time.

I never have crashes or issue either. Wanna know why? Because this isn't 1989 and I know not to go and download files from a Nigerian prince promising millions.

So no, the Imac isn't cheaper nor is it more stable. You are paying for branding, nothing more.
Oh well then, since you know so much about my computer, you should know that it actually cost less than that.
Apple store, best buy, and every place I checked say the same price.

Unless someone bought it for you, just like everything else you listed. Which is a moot point because everything is free when someone else buys it for you.

Or you are just going "nuh-uh" when you find good computers don't cost thousands of dollars in this day and age.
Why you mad bro? Because I received Apple products as gifts? Or because I see a gaming PC as a waste of money when I could get a console that plays (more or less) the same games for under $300.

That's leaving aside the fact that all the games I wanted to play are on consoles, or are console exclusives.

But you don't care, you just look for stuff to ***** about. Like always.

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
I don't often agree, or even like what Jim has to say in his videos. However, this vid is bang on target. Every point is valid. It's a shame that obvious things need to be explained to people, sometimes even to otherwise smart people. I will be using a lot of these points (Or just linking to the vid in its entirety) in my own future arguments with blockheaded console loyalists (Not saying all console loyalists are blockheads, just the ones that I know are blockheads).

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
uro vii said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

>> OWNS A MAC.

Radeon 6850.
1 TB hard drive.

Unless someone bought it for you, just like everything else you listed. Which is a moot point because everything is free when someone else buys it for you.

Or you are just going "nuh-uh" when you find good computers don't cost thousands of dollars in this day and age.
Why you mad bro? Because I received Apple products as gifts? Or because I see a gaming PC as a waste of money when I could get a console that plays (more or less) the same games for under $300.

That's leaving aside the fact that all the games I wanted to play are on consoles, or are console exclusives.

First, I am not mad. I am confused when you say macs are cheaper. Which they are not, apple's entire philosophy is price and branding over power. Which its practically enforced to all retail outlets.

If a mac is cheaper because some one bought it for you, and they can afford 1,200-2,000 dollars, you might as well just ask them to buy you an actual computer. Bam, same price.

Normally "I can't afford a computer on my own" isn't shameful, but saying a mac cheaper than a PC is laughable because of the listing price itself.

I am not bitching, I am mocking your overly defensive reasons.

"consoles are cheaper! 400-500$ dollars as a down payment and 60$ for every new game when I am forced to upgrade to next gen! Compared to pc gaming where I can get a good one for 400-700$ and get more games than the consoles get for 5-10$ with much more variety, replayability, and capability."

Funny, I don't see you calling consoles over priced, especially when apple has made mobile games popular. If you were overly concerned with price.

Neither defense actually makes any sense, and it seems like you are scrambling and moving goalposts so you can find a contrived reason to think PC gaming is hard and expensive and troublesome. Especially in an age where every gamer is angry at console gaming's mentality because of publishers forcing DRM and sub-par 2 hour games at 60$ a pop.

So come on, try moving some more goalposts and being overly defensive, this is getting funny. If price was actually a sticking point, you would have done what I did and jumped through all sorts of hoops to get any sort of discount on anything. yet it seems you put ease and higher cost over actual bargain hunting.

You can't have it both ways.
First off, I wasn't even conversing with you, you injected yourself into a debate that was over before you even got here.

Second, I don't need or want a gaming PC, because every single time someone brings up a PC, I get flashbacks; an endless stream of blue-screens, system freezes, crashes, and Ctrl-Alt-Del-ing through problems. Endless technical bullshit, endless problems. I've had enough. I used a PC for about a decade, give or take. When the whole family switched over to Mac's and consoles, rather than just have PC's, all that bullshit went away.

Third, are Mac's Windows? No? Then they were worth every penny theoretically spent. It doesn't matter what the brand is as long as it isn't fucking Windows. And this thing I'm using isn't even that new: I got it about 4-5 years ago (I can't remember).

Forth, given how almost every PC user I've encountered so far has been an elitist douchenozzle, I'm not really convinced PC is all that great. If I wanted a radical personality change, I'd do PCP.

Fifth, the "PC games have better games defense" doesn't really work when A) a lot of games these days are released on ALL platforms, B) indie games can work on most rigs, even Macs, and C) it's not like the exclusives have me my the short-and-curlies.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
uro vii said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

>> OWNS A MAC.

Radeon 6850.
1 TB hard drive.

First, I am not mad. I am confused when you say macs are cheaper. Which they are not, apple's entire philosophy is price and branding over power. Which its practically enforced to all retail outlets.

If a mac is cheaper because some one bought it for you, and they can afford 1,200-2,000 dollars, you might as well just ask them to buy you an actual computer. Bam, same price.

Normally "I can't afford a computer on my own" isn't shameful, but saying a mac cheaper than a PC is laughable because of the listing price itself.

"consoles are cheaper! 400-500$ dollars as a down payment and 60$ for every new game when I am forced to upgrade to next gen! Compared to pc gaming where I can get a good one for 400-700$ and get more games than the consoles get for 5-10$ with much more variety, replayability, and capability."

Funny, I don't see you calling consoles over priced, especially when apple has made mobile games popular. If you were overly concerned with price.

Neither defense actually makes any sense, and it seems like you are scrambling and moving goalposts so you can find a contrived reason to think PC gaming is hard and expensive and troublesome. Especially in an age where every gamer is angry at console gaming's mentality because of publishers forcing DRM and sub-par 2 hour games at 60$ a pop.

So come on, try moving some more goalposts and being overly defensive, this is getting funny. If price was actually a sticking point, you would have done what I did and jumped through all sorts of hoops to get any sort of discount on anything. yet it seems you put ease and higher cost over actual bargain hunting.

First off, I wasn't even conversing with you, you injected yourself into a debate that was over before you even got here.

Second, I don't need or want a gaming PC, because every single time someone brings up a PC, I get flashbacks; an endless stream of blue-screens, system freezes, crashes, and Ctrl-Alt-Del-ing through problems. Endless technical bullshit, endless problems. I've had enough. I used a PC for about a decade, give or take. When the whole family switched over to Mac's and consoles, rather than just have PC's, all that bullshit went away.

Third, are Mac's Windows? No? Then they were worth every penny theoretically spent. It doesn't matter what the brand is as long as it isn't fucking Windows. And this thing I'm using isn't even that new: I got it about 4-5 years ago (I can't remember).

Forth, given how almost every PC user I've encountered so far has been an elitist douchenozzle, I'm not really convinced PC is all that great. If I wanted a radical personality change, I'd do PCP.

Fifth, the "PC games have better games defense" doesn't really work when A) a lot of games these days are released on ALL platforms, B) indie games can work on most rigs, even Macs, and C) it's not like the exclusives have me my the short-and-curlies.
When you go to the doctor do you get flashbacks of bonesaws and leeches? No? Then get out of 1495 and get with the damn program.

Hell, I remember when macs were so crappy everyone took turns taking a big ole dump on Steve Jobs every chance they got. Before apple went mobile. Did that stop people?

even multiplatform doesn't really work anymore when PC is getting huge swaths of games thanks to kickstarter, and no, mac games are by no means just as prevalent.

Hell, Linux gets more games than Mac does right now. Wanna know why? Because ever since the Apple II, Steve Jobs has always dismissed gaming.

and you rely on what other people are doing on their console? Did that stop people from playing Xbox and playstation with the racist, homophobic 5 year olds online?

Again, you get overly defensive and your contrived reasons are hilarious. What next, are you going to talk about how pagers are cool and your new CRT monitor is the bee's knees?
Fuck me, that was fast. It's almost like you're poised, ready respond as soon as I post, BUT THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

You're clearly upset about something, because no-one would defend the platform this hard. No-one, except blind fanboys who can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want to be part of the glorious PC gaming master race. A master race composed entirely of people who project so hard, they could point themselves at a wall and show off power points.

I don't need a PC. I don't need eye-fucking graphics, keyboard and mouse controls, or the ability to mod games. I don't need the hassle of constant upgrades to stay current. I don't need any of the bullshit PC gamers take for granted.

I can do just fine with consoles. You don't need to agree with me on why I like consoles over PC. You do need to back the hell off already, and go irritate someone else.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
uro vii said:
Machine Man 1992 said:

>> OWNS A MAC.

Radeon 6850.
1 TB hard drive.

When you go to the doctor do you get flashbacks of bonesaws and leeches? No? Then get out of 1495 and get with the damn program.

Hell, I remember when macs were so crappy everyone took turns taking a big ole dump on Steve Jobs every chance they got. Before apple went mobile. Did that stop people?

even multiplatform doesn't really work anymore when PC is getting huge swaths of games thanks to kickstarter, and no, mac games are by no means just as prevalent.

Hell, Linux gets more games than Mac does right now. Wanna know why? Because ever since the Apple II, Steve Jobs has always dismissed gaming.

and you rely on what other people are doing on their console? Did that stop people from playing Xbox and playstation with the racist, homophobic 5 year olds online?

Again, you get overly defensive and your contrived reasons are hilarious. What next, are you going to talk about how pagers are cool and your new CRT monitor is the bee's knees?
Fuck me, that was fast. It's almost like you're poised, ready respond as soon as I post, BUT THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

You're clearly upset about something, because no-one would defend the platform this hard. No-one, except blind fanboys who can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want to be part of the glorious PC gaming master race. A master race composed entirely of people who project so hard, they could point themselves at a wall and show off power points.

I don't need a PC. I don't need eye-fucking graphics, keyboard and mouse controls, or the ability to mod games. I don't need the hassle of constant upgrades to stay current. I don't need any of the bullshit PC gamers take for granted.

I can do just fine with consoles. You don't need to agree with me on why I like consoles over PC. You do need to back the hell off already, and go irritate someone else.
I am actually not upset, I am amused anyone would still be using that outdated "omg blue screen" crap in 2013.

That crap stopped long ago, and only applied in the 90 and early 2000s.

Its like someone saying how he doesn't want a car because he needs to crank it up to start. In 2013. I didn't even knew anyone still seriously thought that in this day and age.

Hell, even updates are automated entirely on PC games. In fact, everything computers do is automated now.

You're not convincing anyone here with your overly defensive nature. You're trying to deflect how computers have changed since the 90s and ignore all the progress of 20 years.

Hell, even now consoles need to update too and that's also automated. Everything is. Computers aren't the specialist machines they were in the 80s and 90s. Computers now are so stable the only way to get a blue screen is to hit your processor with a hammer.
What are you even on about anymore? I said "flashbacks" from "a decade ago". Jesus, it's like you're just looking to *****.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
What are you even on about anymore? I said "flashbacks" from "a decade ago". Jesus, it's like you're just looking to *****.
Actually he's addressing all of your critiques, point by point. It's pretty fun to watch.
Though you seem to be running out of straw-man arguments though. :p

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
My reasoning is simple.

At one point PC gaming was close to dead with almost nothing coming out but poorly made ports thanks to console hardware... remember that? When you were still playing CS 1.5, UT2004, C&C or Everquest 2 because NOTHING was coming out?
Valve have never let me down, Steam stumbled abit at the start but quickly became extremely attractive with indie games you'd never heard of and mind blowing sales, those first few sale events were insane, you could get nostalgic and replay an old favorite for 25% of an already low price, because the history of PC games is as important as the future to us.

Thanks to Steam, developers/publishers put more effort into PC ports, and even create games tailored to PC's. It offered them a place to sell with less piracy, and a network where they could include automatic patches and additional features for Steam users using fast reliable servers, the larger identifiable market they created gave indie developers the confidence to launch crowd funding campaigns to see their creations go to market and succeed.

I want to see Steam continue to succeed, because while someone else may have come along to do it at some point, Steam came first and saved PC gaming.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
It's basic economics, I mean if anyone in the console publishing industry took a class on Economics they SHOULD know that competition benefits the consumer. Happy loyal consumers spend more money.

Microsoft try to make a monopoly, while taking a big risk.. risking their business after the terrible sales of windows 8.
I've never seen fans of a console flock so fast to Sony before, it was almost judgement day for the crap Microsoft has put us through with buggy windows releases and the demonic spawn that was Vista.

cikame said:
My reasoning is simple.

At one point PC gaming was close to dead with almost nothing coming out but poorly made ports thanks to console hardware... remember that? When you were still playing CS 1.5, UT2004, C&C or Everquest 2 because NOTHING was coming out?
Valve have never let me down, Steam stumbled abit at the start but quickly became extremely attractive with indie games you'd never heard of and mind blowing sales, those first few sale events were insane, you could get nostalgic and replay an old favorite for 25% of an already low price, because the history of PC games is as important as the future to us.

Thanks to Steam, developers/publishers put more effort into PC ports, and even create games tailored to PC's. It offered them a place to sell with less piracy, and a network where they could include automatic patches and additional features for Steam users using fast reliable servers, the larger identifiable market they created gave indie developers the confidence to launch crowd funding campaigns to see their creations go to market and succeed.

I want to see Steam continue to succeed, because while someone else may have come along to do it at some point, Steam came first and saved PC gaming.

Not only did Valve pay close attention during Economics class, they also care about the consumer. And that my friends, is love that comes right back... it's not just love that Valve gets in return... Treating customers with respect makes you rich? What a novel concept!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
EXos said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Actually he's addressing all of your critiques, point by point. It's pretty fun to watch.
Though you seem to be running out of straw-man arguments though. :p
What strawman arguments? I don't like PC gaming, nor the people who do it.