Jimquisition: Xbox One and the Death of Ownership

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One and the Death of Ownership

Well, Microsoft went and did it. It took the step publishers have fantasized over for years, and destroyed the concept of videogame ownership.

Watch Video

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Thank God for you Jim Sterling. Serious catharsis just looking at this video

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
The Xbox Two will require you to wear an ankle brace that has to connect to the internet every 12 hours or the the ankle brace blows your leg off.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
Nice use of the Sarif Industries promotion when you talked about ownership and control.
I liked that too.

OT: 12 minutes until the hour of reckoning. I have a feeling Jim's next E3 episode will be 90% Microsoft.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I was honestly expecting this to come out AFTER the Xbox E3 thing.

You know...just in case the situation isn't actually all that bad and everything has been blow out of HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah, there's nothing like an episode of the Jimquisition when you've been particularly riled up, Jim.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I, as a singular person (and NOT for One), am boycotting the Microsoft E3 conference because of their horrible DRM. If Sony doesn't plunge down that rabbit hole, I think people are justified in becoming/remaining PlayStation fanchildren.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone even considering ordering one of these machines needs to watch this video.

This generation, I have supported Nintendo and Microsoft. Nintendo had its heart in the right place, but couldn't provide enough quality content to satisfy me (great but scarce first party products, rather lazy third party products). Microsoft did what Nintendo couldn't, offering great online gameplay and some great experiences, whilst having some amazing third party products.

Now, they're expecting our loyalty to see them through the next generation of consoles, and it isn't going to work because no gamer gets a games console to watch TV and take away their game ownership.

Seriously, fuck you, Microsoft. Fuck you and your policies, fuck you and your big headedness, and fuck you. Just...fuck you.

If Sony have taken all the #PS4NoDRM campaigning to heart and keep to their (rather vague) word about pre-owned games and online connectivity, I will be very, very happy.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
hehe, good one, here we are sharpening our pitchforks and oiling out torches..

Well I'm crossing my fingers so Sony makes a stand for consumers... hah yeah that's gonna happen...
I have vowed.. that if they adhere to this bullshit, I won't buy their consoles, not even if they announce The last Guardian with a release date.

So.. it's WeeYOU and PeeCee for me, I guess... I'm a bit sad though.. there is a certain ritual to playing on the console that I will miss.

And thanks Jim, I often disagree and find you a bit over the top.. but it's still good that you put this issues forward.

timboo_drow

Jul 21, 2009
I have to agree with Marcus Beer when he says that the worst thing that can happen at this E3 is for MS to get up there and promise a bunch of fantastic looking games and all is forgiven. I think that's why they timed this announcement, so that it can get swept away in the news cycle of the games they are developing. It sucks, because they will be games that I will miss out on unless they make their way to Steam or the WiiU.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
The whole 'check in every 24 hours' is more insulting than a constant internet connection honestly. And as much as I would like to see the xbone totally flop(at least at the start) and force MS to remove the 24 hour requirement, somehow I doubt most average people will care.

A constant connection is almost guaranteed to have issues which would irritate even the average consumer, but the 24 hour thing will probably fly under the radar of most people.

That said I still feel it is likely that the new xbox will become basically stuck to the US(and limited even more to larger Metro areas) while the Sony, Nintendo, and the PC overall will have the rest of the world.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I loved that intro, made me laugh until I coughed. Good episode. Hopefully we all get to see the Xbone crash and burn in an entertaining way.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
THANK YOU for making the point about Gamestop. I don't know why anyone's naive enough to think this hurts Gamestop.

sturryz said:
The Xbox Two will require you to wear an ankle brace that has to connect to the internet every 12 hours or the the ankle brace blows your leg off.
This will be marketed as a necessary feature of Kinect 3.0, and in fact Kinect will be part of the mandatory check-in process.

Additionally, you will need special dispensation for Microsoft to leave the general vicinity of your Xbox. If you are vacationing, you may transfer your license to a different Xbox 2 for a fee, or use a limited number of annual "offline vouchers" if you won't be near one.

Microsoft will laud these options as generous" and 80% of the consumer market will say they "don't mind" and it's "not that bad."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Meh...shoddy practice, but then its not like there isn't a massive games industry beyond this one platform. Certainly, there seems to be a worrying trend, but plenty of indy gaames, or even abandonware.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I really can't wait to start seeing some numbers on how bad this hurts them.

the_soflo_guy

Jun 10, 2013
Well I just got back from Gamestop, (pick up some cheep "used" Wii game to play over the summer.) I was talking with the clerk about the Xbox, I was saying this time around I was going to get a new Xbox, but after hearing all the BS Micro Soft is pulling I'm not even going to waist my time or money with them. sadly because I am a big support of Microsoft and the work with windows PC, network servers & office, (I am in college going for IT so I taking a lot of MS course) but after windows 8 this year and now the new Xbox BS, my respect for microsoft is dropping. I might just install Linux on my PC :p. But here is an FYI, the Gamestop clerk did say the Microsoft did make a agreement with them that the used game fee will be waved and the data to your account gets wipped when you trade a game into gamestop. so it look like Gamestop will not be effected by the Xboxs used game police. again this was just the store clerk saying it, so it all might not be true.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Great episode, but I'm slightly worried that we won't see anything but the Xbone in the next couple of Jimquisitions. Not that I don't hate the Xbone and all it stands for, but a little variety is nice now and again.