Jimquisition: Xbox One and the Death of Ownership

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
If only this video could be shown on screen at the E3 conference while Microsoft is up on stage trying to convince everyone that being treated like a criminal and not being allowed to own the things they buy is really super awesome we promise because ummm, TV!

A problem I don't think many people have really sunk their teeth into yet is the end game of the xbox one. What happens when the servers for the Xbox One inevitably are permanently taken offline? With no authentication servers I guess your Xbox one would be rendered useless and your games unplayable. Maybe you'd be forced to buy the Xbox Two in order to keep owning your...holy... their trying Zune again. Keep paying or all the stuff you bought is gone! Sure you don't need xbox live to play the games I assume(so the zune model isn't immediately obvious) but eventually you'll have to fork over more money to buy xbox two unless you want your expensive game collection to go bye bye. Well that's my theory anyway and with the frankly disturbing things Microsoft is doing, would what I said surprise anyone if it came true?

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Thank you for the man-ass, Jim. It was lovely.

Oh, and the entirety of the rest of the video. You say the things that need to be said, when they need to be said, and to the people that need to hear it (everyone). We couldn't ask for more.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSapphireKnight said:
A constant connection is almost guaranteed to have issues which would irritate even the average consumer, but the 24 hour thing will probably fly under the radar of most people
Keep in mind, they're offering the power of MacLeod...Sorry, of THE CLOUD to "quadruple the power" of the Xbox One. This means there will be games (and I bet a lot of them) that literally require an online connection to run. Even single-player games, I bet.

Also, depending on the way check-ins are handled, this could be a fairly big deal without always online. But mostly, the cloud bit.

"There can be only ONE!"

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Not as good as I was expecting. The snark and rage was spot-on, but it's kind of getting old already. I guess I was hoping for more insight into how you see this actually playing out. Moar screaming about precisely how and why the XBone sucks contributes essentially nothing new or positive to the discussion.

I'm sure it felt good though! Self-righteous indignation for a good cause usually does.

I'm pretty sure Gamestop/Game will come to regret this, no matter how useful it is for them in the short term. Sure it will wipe out all of their competition, but then they'll stand alone and be much easier targets.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sadly none of this will stop people causing it to sell out on day one. Too many people will want it just so they can play the next COD or because "Everybody else is getting one".

Even worse is that despite all of this hatred, people will still eventually get won over anyway, and by the next generation, such things will have become the norm, not worth getting worked up about.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Just out of curiosity Jim, if you didn't need one for your job would you even be considering an Xbox One?

Saying that, do you even want to cover something so flagrantly anti-consumer?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Would be nice to see the gaming press to show a bit of solidarity to the consumer by not covering the system and its exclusives upon release.

Having it die a pitiful death from lack of coverage is the best way to say fuck you to Microsoft and their new xbox.

I'll do my part in not buying the system, but alas me and my kind only make a small percentage of xbox customers. :(

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
He'll buy one to review games on, and so will every other journalist who's "mad" about this, and we'll think of this "bullshit" like business as usual, just as we do with online passes, on-disc DLC, and everything else we deal with today.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Would be nice to see the gaming press to show a bit of solidarity to the consumer by not covering the system and its exclusives upon release.

Having it die a pitiful death from lack of coverage is the best way to say fuck you to Microsoft and their new xbox.

I'll do my part in not buying the system, but alas me and my kind only make a small percentage of xbox customers. :(
And what would happen to said gaming press if publishers were to pull all their advertising in a show of solidarity to the Xbone?

Jan 1, 2013
Fappy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Nice use of the Sarif Industries promotion when you talked about ownership and control.
I liked that too.

OT: 12 minutes until the hour of reckoning. I have a feeling Jim's next E3 episode will be 90% Microsoft.
Not if Sony takes that opportunity to horrify us. Then Microsoft's blunders can become old news. I find it strange that Sony wouldn't jump on the same bandwagon because their competition, the XBOne, is giving gaming companies what they have been dreaming about for about a decade.

Jim's dismissal of the Wii U is strange to me. It seems to be precisely what he's been wanting for consoles for a long time. Less focused on graphics that make the games expensive, the games you buy are still yours and it included a system of input that can be used to good and that he praised the restraint it was being used with by the early titles. There are few games for it because game developers are pricks who don't want to make games for it.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
If gamestop hasn't already come out
Yes Jim, Gamestop already did already come out with a giant hadron for the Xbox One. They loved the new Xbox before it was even announced:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720-a-very-hot-compelling-device-says-gamestop-6406315

And I tried (I really did) to bring people's attention to this because you could smell the rancid stank of shenanigans a mile away.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.408606-Gamestop-conspiracy#17073693
Sadly, I don't think many people noticed or listened.

So I will just come out and say yet again to all the escapist:
I WARNED YOU! ...not that we could have done anything about it, but I did warn you haha.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I honestly think the Xbox One and PS4 are going to lead to another video game crash. I mean look what happened to the Guitar Hero rhythm games: over saturated with increasingly poor games and boom. Dead. Haven't seen anyone play one of those games in what...two years? Two and a half?
The same thing will happen to this new generation. Sony and Microsoft are going to alienate SO many customers that the generation flops and dies. I love my 360 and my PC. I've been a loyal Microsoft supporter for many, many years. But this new Xbox is many steps too far. I won't buy it. Maybe I'll get the PS4, but only if its a reasonable price(like...less that $350. Any more and I'll get a new laptop) and FREE backwards compatibility. If I own a game, I want to be able to play it without paying a fee! Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one. I can't imagine the executives that came up with the Xbox One thought they would be lauded as innovative heroes, rescuing us for our miserable lives of only being able to socially interact with our tablets, phones, current consoles and PCs.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Legion said:
Sadly none of this will stop people causing it to sell out on day one. Too many people will want it just so they can play the next COD or because "Everybody else is getting one".

Even worse is that despite all of this hatred, people will still eventually get won over anyway, and by the next generation, such things will have become the norm, not worth getting worked up about.
NOOOOOOOOOOOPE!

I won't allow it. This thing is a travesty, an abomination unto the most basic concepts of ownership. I'll plaster flyers all over stores that sell them informing people about what this thing does if I have to. It cannot be allowed to succeed, it must be smothered in the crib, for the good the games indus- No, basic fucking consumer rights.

(Also, what anime is your avatar from?)

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Getting some use out of that rubber fist I see
I just want to see the whole industry burn so we can have a re do
and there is ALWAYS the pc