Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well done, Sterling. Your payment is at the usual drop. ;)

We live in an era of unprecedented access to information. It's very strange that that also seems to translate to an era where many large organizations- and individuals, honestly- hear only a version of information that allows them to continue to believe what they want to believe and do what they choose to do, to excuse and justify decisions rather than refine or alter them.

You don't make a decision to dominate the market, decide what you're going to do, and then make the market like it until you control them. It just doesn't work that way. Microsoft appears to be working under assumptions and policies that might actually be worse than if they were making decisions with a dart board.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
GamerMage said:
Or thunderous BOOs. 1:34 Weird that the PS4 is taking what the Xbox One is doing wrong,and confirming they won't do that.
This has been extremely satisfying to me. I spent the last generation baffled by Sony's inability to understand what it was doing wrong. It's as if Microsoft and Sony literally brokered a deal that they were each going to take turns being dumb to always keep us on our toes.

So it's just remarkable that thye went from what they appeared to be last generation and are now actively identifying genuine market concerns and addressing them as best they can.

And while it doesn't have Backwards compatability,I'm liking the PS4 already. It has an Indie game section in it's PSN,and Infamous: Second Son. 2:40 And I already HAVE a PS3 to use it's browser to watch The Escapist or Anime streams. 4:40 I swear they're just painting a bright red target on their console with this,practically asking us to hate it. Microsoft,I like you, and I respect you,but you done goofed. I'm heading over to Sony next door. 5:20 Here I thought Square Enix and EA were bad. Just ewhen you think they can't get any stupider,they pull this. 6:20 I concur. 6:35 As I am for Infamous:Second Son. XD 7:04 And my respect shifts more toward Sony once again. I mean,really,how did MS screw this up? All they had to do was say that 360 games were compatible,that it wasn't an "Always On" console,and that it would'nt have issues with used games. But then,I guess I shouldn't be TOO surprised. But still,I expected this out of Sony, but not out of Microsoft. It's a shame,really. Also,if I may pose a question to your wisdom,Jim,my PSP broke not that long ago. Should I replace it,or just get a Vita?
I found the ps3's exclusive lineup remarkably robust. The 360 had a much smaller collection and it's the exclusives that sell me on a console.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
My hopes for the Xbox1 is that all this bad press its getting makes atlus decide definitively to keep persona a sony exclusive just so I dont see it on the xbox shelves (at least what little shelf space it will have if its going to go through with its preorder plans) and have the xbox fanboys tell me its a better game on their system or try to make it better than the PS3/4 (whenever they want to release it) even though its made its home and impact on sony systems.

and by the way sony, get a jump on it and put out P4 on the PSN already. I know, you had P3Fes on the PSN for 4.99 and I'll grant you that was a wonderful gift for a game that today is still probably worth at least twice that so i shouldnt be selfish, but it would be nice to have both.

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
The sad part is that most people aren't smart enough to realize their smart TV will do everything the console does. I've tried many times, but my brother and his friends are just more comfortable paying 60 dollars a year to do everything in a familiar xbox setting.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Dammit Microsoft... you missed a golden opportunity to use Queen's One Vision in your advertising. It suits your concept perfectly, flawed and shortsighted as it is.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well, Microsoft, you proved one thing: for all the learning you did from X-Box to 360, you proved just as eager to un-learn it from 360 to One.

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Xbox One out of Ten

The Xbox One was revealed this weak to thunderous applause. Oh wait, did we say applause? We meant, farts. Thunderous farts.

Watch Video
Now I'm wondering if that wording was intentional or a typo...

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
This is a problem I have with the new Xbox, trying to be everything in one, but not doing it in a way that makes it more appealing, it isn't faster or more efficient. The biggest kicker is paying a fee for used games, Gamestop claims it won't supply Xbones because of this and they are right, Gamestop has made much profit on used games and Microsoft is a big threat to that.

I have a 360, but my eyes are on the PS3 and possibly PC next generation, hopefully my Vita will get some use (aren't the PS4 and Vita supposed to go hand in hand?) My 3DS (right now, my favorite device) is getting plenty of use and I will be getting a Wii-U once some more games are out.
I was wondering would gamestop make that move.

Can't say im not sympathetic to gamestop on this. A whole retail outlet crops up to help you sell you games, and you treat them like the enemy.

Im xbox 360 as well, and im having a serious long look at the PS4 now

Edit: can i have a link please for the gamestop claim

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
The dog. Gods I forgot about the bloody dog.... "Throw a dog in! Everyone loves dogs!!! Look at fable 2! Dogs sell anything." Cod with a dog. Did anyone play cod and think.... "You know, there's something missing here in this skidoo chase..."

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
You guys ought to see the articles non-game news sites are posting about this launch declaring the XBone the "savior of the consoles" (according to fox anyway). Plus you got all the comments coming in saying that the used game thing is not that big of a deal and that since their phone "constantly has internet why can't a console need to always be connected?".

I feel sad for anyone who buys into the PR and gets this thing.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
Jim, you just said everything I thought when watching the presentation yesterday. Hats off to you, sir!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Zombine3D said:
PS4 presentation made me nervous. The XBOX ONE presentation made me facepalm myself to ancient egypt. Good that I have all current gen consoles and a nice GTX680 in my custom built PC for Watch_Dogs.
For a new poster, I think you already won the thread!

Wii burned me, so, not particularly interested in it. They need a lot of great games before I pull a trigger. By that time, they may look very dated again. I can upgrade my PC.

PS3 does have me nervous. I still don't know about it. I don't even know what the console looks like.

But Xbone... what a mess! Convince me I want to game on it, or I'll go somewhere else!

A marketing expert, at this site, said regardless of who wins gen 7, there won't be a gen 8. He was wrong, but still worth listening to. Are any of these things going to make us want one or should we just keep our PS3s till 2017 and upgrade our PCs and maybe FIVE YEARS FROM NOW they can offer us something for Gen 9? Make us really believe we are going to love gaming on a new console? Cuz, that's what I do.

In the meantime, Ouya comes out 6/24. I can buy one of those for $100 to have something new to screw around with till 2018. Or Gamestick. Or Project Shield. Or root my android phone and play it on my TV.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I can just picture the Sony execs with huge self-content grins, their eyes half squinting in a way that just says "the share button doesn't seem so bad anymore now does it?"

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I seriously doubt very many "smart" hardcore gamers care about the 360 anymore with the rise of the pc and ps3 exclusives. The only people who seem to be interested are the ones who use it simply as a call of duty or halo box, and if you are a hardcore gamer and still have the 360 as your console as choice may I simply ask "why?"

Dal Riada

May 22, 2013
Jim, I agree with your fears completely. Now, I have been a console player all my life. I got a SNES for Christmas when I was about five, moved onto the Playstation, then the PS2 and when this generation of consoles came along I jumped ship to the 360. I do enjoy PC games (oh, how I miss Westwood and great Command & Conquer titles like Red Alert 1 and 2 or the old Windows 95 TIE Fighter). And I will readily admit that there isn't a console game that wasn't better executed on the PC.

But I put this to all the PC gamers out there that slag off by and large console players like myself - and I speak as someone who came from a household where we could never really afford a good PC. The beauty of consoles for me was always that they just. Fucking. Worked.

You would stick in the cartridge or the disk and then you just kicked back and did some gaming. Never did you have to worry about patching issues, installation problems, crashing to desk top, compatibilty issues, downloading, system requirements, hardrive space, hardware problems etc. You just plugged a Playstation in and let the magic happen. Nobody ever put a copy of Super Mario All Stars, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, whatever when they were growing up in the 90s / 00s into a console and worried for a moment that they might not actually work like they may have done with a PC of the time.

Now what are we moving forward to? A world where the console will be full of Sim City-like DRM ridden creations that are incapable of operating without constantly suckling from the tit of the internet and all the problems and headaches that online requirements demand.

For example, this past month I was playing Mass Effect 3 on the 360 - I bought and downloaded some DLC and now, for no obvious reason, my game now constantly searches for more DLC in the loading screen and my console game has essentially bugged out and crashed. I can rectify the problem, to be fair, by simply switching off xbox live for the duration. But what of a world where I simply, mechanically, can not use my expensive gaming console without jacking it into the Microsoft monolith? Where would I be? What sort of Microsoft or publisher related tech support hoops might I have to jump through in a world where my console just can not work without access to a perhaps already temperamental internet connection?

I so sadly see a day where consoles will indeed just be mini gaming PCs that offer only the problems, bugs and faults of PC games with scant few of the full blown PCs advantages in quality and definitely not the traditional console advantages of ruggedness, durability and (as they used to be anyway) cost effectiveness.

A terribly long post I know - but I feel very strongly that the days of the casual, happy, console gamer like myself might actually be numbered by bs like the xbox 1 looks like it will be, and that for me would be a terrible, terrible shame.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Bad joke of the day: Xbox one is catering to the rich and privileged? Like the 1%?

Okay Okay, I won't do that again.

OT: I wasn't interested in the new Xbox anyway. Xbox one is a title that just seems confusing if you bring the original xbox in the mix. Edited* Just checked quickly the presentation of Microsoft...So they decided to show sports games and call of duty. The latter decided to tell us that we'll get really attached to some dog. My bet will be that the dog dies.

However, I can't shake the feeling that being attached to a dog in a video game is something we have seen before...Really can't shake it...

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Professor Uzzy said:
Frankly I'd be amazed if they didn't spend half the E3 Presentation talking up their awesome new system that lets Americans watch TV on their TV.
But it's not just any TV, it's a voice-activated TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg2hepCGIGU