Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I still think it will do well.

I think it sucks, but it will do well.

It will sell to the people who want the latest gadget, enjoy COD (as they get early DLC), have a nice big living room and want something that can do everything but aren't that tech savvy.

As for gamers? Well we need to see the games first, but it's clearly not created with that customer base in mind, or else it wouldn't be focusing on all of the crap nobody asked for. Especially with the used games issue.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Zombine3D said:
PS4 presentation made me nervous. The XBOX ONE presentation made me facepalm myself to ancient egypt. Good that I have all current gen consoles and a nice GTX680 in my custom built PC for Watch_Dogs....Don't forget about the SteamBox, the real one. We know nearly nothing but what we heard - it looks tech savvy!
>captcha: live your dream
I'm jealous of your GTX680. I had bragging rights for a couple of months with my HD7970. Still plays what I need for now.

So far the steam box is out of my league money wise. I do have a decent PC hooked up to a 42" LCD:
I7-930
12 Gig 1600 RAM
GTS 250 (surprisingly good DX 10 card).

Steambox, they're talking like, $800. That a lot of money. But if prices fall in 1/2 w/i 2 years? Say it is about $300 in 3 years?

Very nice alternative to the Xbone. Thanks for bringing it up.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
PC? It's me. Look, I know we haven't exactly been drifting apart or anything - but can I say one thing?

I love you. I love you too, my dear iPhone. One of you is modular, the other offers bite-sized gaming with less patronizing bullshit. That said, I'm not letting Windows 8 in our house any time soon - that skank. I mean, I've seen the Classic Shell mod, but it still isn't much more than a band-aid stuck on a purulent boil Microsoft has the nerve to call an OS.

So - yeah. Windows 7 PC? I love you. Let's cuddle.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The PS4 reveal was a bit disappointing.
The Xbox One reveal, however, is downright INSULTING.

What demented, arrogant, loathsome, greedy, ignorant, clueless scumbags.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
AgentLampshade said:
I just noticed Willem DaFoe was facepalming through the slow clap.

GIF please.
I haven't seen it posted yet, so here you go.

Mini DaFoe facepalming there is hilarious. I didn't even notice it at first.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Backwards compatibility; Why is this a bad thing? I don't even recall what Sony said when they nixed theirs from PS3. Something about it being inefficient? Too much of a burden on the highly advanced system? Not sure what the excuse was, but it was a feature dropped from the later generations of the unit. Not so for MS and Xbox (at least not completely) I know not about the rest of you, but new systems need games. But most times said release titles are few or just lacking in appeal. Thus I'll pick up one if not two of the initial products available. Still I like to play things from my previous library. Is having access to more games on your new system really that much of problem?
How would rental games work? Would they work at all? Is it like Jim said MS trying to cut out/down on used game sales? Digital downloading is doing that already. I own quite a few nonphysical games now thanks to Steam, Origin, etc. But I guess they want people to keep people from borrowing games as well. I let friends borrow my PS3 or 360 games when I'm not playing them (hell of a time getting them back)

What's really bugging me is how the systems are getting further and further from their intended purposes; playing games. Like someone stated people use mobile devices for everything, but make phone calls. It's silly for consoles to do the same. They were already dwarfed versions of PC, but trying to be multimedia device pushes them over that line. A line that they shouldn't cross only because there's cheaper and better units (PC) to be had. My desktop is made to do multiple things, but I choose my consoles to play games. That's it. I don't want a social network, I don't want a TV streaming device (I have a TV)I make friends online I add them to my list. We send messages back and forth, get a ding when they come online, that's fine. Both systems are trying too hard. Stick to what you do best. Don't try to put all the extras when the basics are lacking. Just like these recent "AAA" game releases; great graphics with little substance. Rather than making something people want they're making what they want you to buy.

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
I switched from my PS2 to the Xbox 360 as it had good exclusives and some damn good online features. Now i'm going to invest in a PC rig or if things look rosy a PS4. The BoneBox was the worst reveal in history of consoles and it alienated an entire market so quick Sony's stock jumped up 9%. Says it all really, hopefully GOG's library expands ever greater to keep me busy.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Hastln said:
I love the current Xbox, but the new one seams like it wont really be a thing for gamers, for the first time in years, Im starting to lean toward Nintendo, its a strange, but wondrous feeling
I remember having a discussion with someone arguing about which market the WiiU could possibly fill and I suggested it as a "secondary" console to PC gamers who want the interesting exclusives since most multi-platform games comes to the PC anyway and it's almost always better on a decent PC than on a console.

Never has this possiblity ever been more probable.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Tank207 said:
AgentLampshade said:
I just noticed Willem DaFoe was facepalming through the slow clap.

GIF please.
I haven't seen it posted yet, so here you go.

Mini DaFoe facepalming there is hilarious. I didn't even notice it at first.
Holy shit, I didn't see that at first.
Thanks for bringing that to attention, it only makes the slow clapping (And XB1's failure) even more funnier. XD

OT:

For me, I'm probably going do the same thing as Jim. I'm going to keep my whole mind open about this new generation, but still my first opinion of the XB1 is ... well it just looks like it is trying TOO hard to be a media center instead of a gaming console. I'm not looking forward to this generation, they are moving too far from gaming.

But oh well ... instead of buying all these consoles and games, I can just get a better gaming PC and get all this crap on Steam. >.>
Least I can get mods and not pay for playing it online.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
The slow clap was awesome.

was kinda expecting this Monday though, but hey :D Extra Jimquisition, praise be to Jim for that :D

least the used fee explains EA's sudden abandonment of online passes, knew there was another reason for that other then 'gamers didn't like it.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
It's both funny and sad to see just how out of touch MS apparently is. Be it ignorance or just plain contempt for gamers I don't know. Apparently "needing time to respond to Sony" meant thinking of how they could make it as unappealing as possible in comparison.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
gamegod25 said:
It's both funny and sad to see just how out of touch MS apparently is. Be it ignorance or just plain contempt for gamers I don't know. Apparently "needing time to respond to Sony" meant thinking of how they could make it as unappealing as possible in comparison.
No, Gamers are just out of touch on what sells on mainstream and what mainstream consumers demand.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Zeckt said:
I seriously doubt very many "smart" hardcore gamers care about the 360 anymore with the rise of the pc and ps3 exclusives. The only people who seem to be interested are the ones who use it simply as a call of duty or halo box, and if you are a hardcore gamer and still have the 360 as your console as choice may I simply ask "why?"
Why??

Personally I prefer the controller and it was the first console i got this gen, but the main reason is my brother, sister and my few close friends all have 360's and it was really just easier to stick with it and lend and borrow games as they cant exactly afford all 3 consoles or every new game, so if im buying most titles anyway its just nice for me to be able to lend them a game they might like for a system we all have.

On the other topic i bought a WiiU after watching the xbone release info

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
X-box was never really aimed at my interests from the beginning, so this does not change my opinion in any way.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
GrimHeaper said:
"Xbox is about to become the next Water Cooler."

For fucks sake, no matter how many times I read/listen to this line, I can't stop laughing.

10/10 video. Would like and share.

OT: Many people just are't able to comprehend how bad the reveal was. It was so bad that the console war idiots on /v/ stopped creating console wars and are laughing at MS. Seriously, Sony and Nintendo fans stopped fighting to laugh at MS. No one thought you could be THIS bad.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Well put, Jim. It seems like Microsoft desperately wants to be on the bleeding edge of technology they're practically slitting their wrists. I had to backtrack on your previous episode "Why the Wii U May Have Already "Won" Next-gen" when someone brought it up and, with the evidence piling up against Microsoft and assuming that the PS4 ends up being just as bad if not worse, Nintendo may be laughing all the way to the bank.

However, the reveal of the Xbone and its inability to wow the folks with anything and their constant stances on things like non-backwards compatibility made me think of a Game Overthinker episode MovieBob did that discusses the possibility of another video game crash.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-83-next-crash

If Microsoft and Sony continue to disappoint consumers and alienate fans, then we may be driving off the cliff sooner than we think.