Job Applicants Asked for Facebook Passwords

TiloXofXTanto

Aug 18, 2010
It's times like these that I feel like so incredibly assured that my decision to never participate in the various social networking sites was the correct one.

Thank the gods for Paranoia, for it has saved me so many, many times from the idiocy within the masses and their amass-ers.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Dear police force, government, fanatic religious organisation whatever.
If you want to finally institute your brainwashing thought control and total surveillance scheme
you're more than welcome.

But please (and I can't stress that enough) -PLEASE- do so without me noticing it.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
hah, i'm no social animal i literally don't have a facebook/google/whatev account the closest thing is a youtube account and if an employer cares about what games ive been playing then power to him.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I don't make my profile or anything public, but an employer asking for my password...erm that's just asking for too much =.=

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I'm fine with the police looking at th facebook account of someone they might employ, but asking for their password is too much. Firstly you'd have to trust the person not to screw around with it and secondly, just because a message isn't bad or illegal doesn't mean you want those not involved in the chat to read. It's not a case of shame or alike but more a case of context and subject. I got plenty of message that are prefectly legal and non-shameful, but I don't want people reading them.

And as for McMullen, well hopefully someone will test if he can put his money where his mouth is.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
How is everyone missing the point here?

It's a trick question. The police don't want tech-stupid people working their computers, so if anyone actually answers the question they're out. Pretty clever actually.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Iron Mal said:
Enlighten me then as to why it is exactly that just being allowed to view your account isn't enough and that they vitally require access to your personal online account?
Because you can limit external access? Doesn't seem that difficult.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
binnsyboy said:
Yes, the visual record I keep of my various dogging exploits would surely attract the wrath of an employer. D:

But yeah, the dude's kind of a dick taking a "nobody would think to try what I say on me!" stance.
You should see the pictures I post of my victims. >.>

I do wish more of the people with the "nothing to hide" attitude would lead by example. Of course, it's one thing to say it, and another to believe it. :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
A lot of reasons can easily be determined, all of them resting on a serious lack of trust, and a self-serving need to control your workforce.
As noted earlier, you can be fired for a picture of you drinking your favourite alcoholic beverage on your vacation. I don't think lack of trust or a self-serving need to control your workforce are anything new or surprising.

At the risk of sounding cynical, if this is anything new or surprising to you, I wonder where you've been for the last couple decades.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I started to get upset at this, but then I realized I'd just tell them I didn't use Facebook or Myspace. That simple. Just tell them you don't do that shit.
Like it matters, in my case. I have like 20 friends total on either.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Step one: Take photos of everyone in the human resurces department, playing with their children or shopping with their family
Step two: Creating a Facebook profile only containing these pictures and the text "You got nothing to hide, don't you?".
Step three: Giving them the information for this account.
(Step four: Leave country, or better: planet)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, this seems very illegal. And should one really be denied employment because of what his social attitude is? Seems very, very wrong.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I say old chap said:
Solution, lie.

"No I'm not a part of any social networking sites. Not my thing."
Naay, give them the wrong password.

Or even better:
Create a fake "Superclean Record" to show to those extremely silly employers.

Or still better:
Reply something like this:

"Of course you can have my password, but it wont be of use to you because as soon as somebody else knows it I'll have change it. It's in the EULA, I'm sorry. I'm just a law EULA abiding citizen"

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Voodoomancer said:
How is everyone missing the point here?

It's a trick question. The police don't want tech-stupid people working their computers, so if anyone actually answers the question they're out. Pretty clever actually.
Indeed, I think people glanced over what the job actually was. If people were so fast to give out their info when asked, I doubt they would have a employment there.