Joker Won't Return in Nolan's Batman Films

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Is there any chance of getting Bane in here? I mean the REAL Bane, the one that managed to outsmart Batman. Not the idiot Mexican wrestler form Batman and Robin.

And on that subject, what about Robin? He truly is an essential part of the Batman mythos, it'd be a lot of fun to see Dick Grayson at least appear. He wouldn't even have to be Robin until the very end or something. But I'm getting ahead of myself, we'll all just have to wait and see...

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I wouldn't either. You can't just cast another dude to play a character in the last part of a trilogy. Especially someone as unique and dead as Heath Ledger. I'm really glad Nolan decided this way.

XtremeMuffin

Dec 16, 2009
Personally, I'd like to see Scarecrow make some kind of comeback. He's never really had his big moment. At the end of the first movie he finally becomes 100% Scarecrow and that lasts about 5 seconds. I want more. And not some 2 minute cameo.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I think Dr. Hugo Strange would be a perfect villian for Batman 3. Nolan could really play around with him aswell as Ventriloquist & Scarface. I guess we can count out most of the Super Natural villians like Killer Croc and Clayface (or Mr Freezes Freeze Ray for that matter) I cant picture them in Nolans new down to earth Batman. Bane might work if they make Bane not as ridiculous.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Something else in the article that I wanted to address is Nolan saying that he has a definitive ending in mind for the series with the third movie, and when I saw this yesterday on IGN a lot of the comments were praising how realistic that was. I just really feel the need to point out that really "realistic" movies usually don't have definitive ending at all, just like in real life.
One of the few intelligent comments that I saw (they're a rarity on IGN) said that this would more likely be the end of the sort of "Year One" era of Batman's career, maybe hinting that Robin with soon be joining him.
I can understand Nolan wanting to keep the studio from resurrecting his series and ruining like it like they did with Tim Burton's Batman. But I still want them to leave us with the idea that Batman continues his crusade on crime.

Also I want to see Batman crazier in the third movie, just because I've always enjoyed that aspect of his character. It would also make sense seeing as he's now being vilified to save Harvey Dent's reputation, and at the end Robin could help keep him from going completely crazy.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
I'd suggest Holiday from "The Long Halloween" as a movie, but since that's already be effed up by the new Two-Face origins, I'm pulling for Riddler.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Poison ivy seems to be getting the cold shoulder here, I think a darker version of her ( darker than the Uma Thurman version) would be quite shocking, and they cant do catwoman, they already established Hallie Barry as catwoman and she blew it

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Nolans a smart man not recasting Joker. Heath Ledger is the only one who could play Joker, and anyone else would just be a cheap imitation. With no Penguin maybe we can see a little Killer Croc? I don't know how he'd get Killer Croc to work in his realistic batman world, but by god it would be cool. Just no Clayface, please no clayface.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm going to keep shouting about Hush until the movie inevitably comes out and is Hush free. Isn't Hush the anti-Bat? Add in Riddler and you have an interesting concept: You have Batman hunting Hush and, Hush hunting Batman in a very Deathnote sort of way with The Riddler sitting in the shadows, pulling strings and, sending Zodiac-like letters taunting Gordon, Batman and, *gasp* Bruce Wayne?
Heh. Shouting about Hush.

But yes, Hush would be awesome! A relatively unknown villain with intelligence to match Batman's - sounds like you'd be onto something. Although it would be difficult to do with Batman's current outlaw status.

The first film had Ra's al Ghul. Not an enormously famous villain outside of the comics, although I think a few more people had heard of the Scarecrow.

Killer Croc would make a god-awful film, frankly. He's a huge lizard that beats people up. Unless he's acting in tandem with other villains, there's none of the usual 'batman out-thinks opponent' stuff there. Also, as other people have said, there seems to be a vague thread of realism going between the films.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Good on Nolan for respecting Ledger.

As for the Penguin, why does everyone love him so much? After DeVito annihilated any hope I had of loving the character, I don't think there's any way of rebooting him that would make him likable (not for me, at least).

Personally I'd like to see a darker, more twisted version of the Riddler (NOT Jim Carrey!) or Catwoman rebooted in a way that didn't make me want to tear my eyes out with a fork.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That's good, it gives other villians some time to shine. Even if they did replace Ledger, he's a tough act to follow.

Actual Charlie Nash

Jul 9, 2008
J03bot said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm going to keep shouting about Hush until the movie inevitably comes out and is Hush free. Isn't Hush the anti-Bat? Add in Riddler and you have an interesting concept: You have Batman hunting Hush and, Hush hunting Batman in a very Deathnote sort of way with The Riddler sitting in the shadows, pulling strings and, sending Zodiac-like letters taunting Gordon, Batman and, *gasp* Bruce Wayne?
Heh. Shouting about Hush.

But yes, Hush would be awesome! A relatively unknown villain with intelligence to match Batman's - sounds like you'd be onto something.
Glad to see people talking about hush.
i would actually like the see croc in the 3rd film but not as the major villain. if you could see some of his arkham days Including the incident with the security guard Cash.

EDIT: i would also like to see a little bit of Prometheus ^^ (the 2nd one)