Jon Favreau Not Making Iron Man 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Jon Favreau Not Making Iron Man 3

Sources suggest that Marvel may have deliberately pushed the director away, as he cost more than it was willing to pay.

Jon Favreau, who directed the first two Iron Man movies, will not be returning to make the third, instead focusing his energy on the "Night at the Museum-style action adventure romp," Magic Kingdom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105227-Disney-Giving-Iron-Man-Director-Jon-Favreau-Keys-to-The-Magic-Kingdom]. The news began as just a rumor, but Favreau later confirmed it via Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/Jon_Favreau/status/14838249365176320], saying that he'd had a great run with Marvel, and wished the studio luck for the future.

Sources suggest that Favreau's departure is the result of Marvel's insistence that, in the wake of the Avengers movie, Iron Man 3 should contain a number of its other superheroes. Some Hollywood insiders are theorizing, however, that this was a deliberate move by the notoriously frugal Marvel to provoke Favreau, who was thought to be a little but too expensive for the studio's tastes, into quitting the project. The idea that Marvel was pushing a very busy vision for the third movie aligns nicely with comments Favreau made earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105941-Iron-Man-3-Plot-Depends-on-Other-Marvel-Movies-Says-Director] about how the script for Iron Man 3 would have to incorporate the events of Captain America, Thor and Avengers movies as well.

The worry now is that the Iron Man movies will suffer the same fate as the X-Men Trilogy: two good movies under one director, and then a much worse one under a second. This seems even more likely if Marvel is genuinely looking to hire directors based on price rather than ability. What's more, assuming for a moment that it wasn't just a ploy to get rid of Favreau, if Marvel really does want Iron Man 3 to incorporate all those other movies, that seems like a surefire way of getting a dense and confusing script.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/12/14/rumor-jon-favreau-wont-direct-iron-man-3/]

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*inhales*
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
This may be for the best. Jon Favreau isn't all that great at followups because he's so aware of what worked in the first one.

Iron Man 2 felt a lot like Made. It had all the elements of an earlier success of his (Swingers in the case of Made) but he dialed it up too much and it just didn't work as well.

I liked Iron Man 2. But it wasn't as good as the first. And sometimes it really did suffer from knowing just how much people liked Stark antics in the first one. I got it, he plays by his own rules, do something else now.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
This is probably a good thing. After seeing Iron Man 2, I don't want a repeat.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Super Toast said:
Has Marvel learned anything?
Thirded. These people are fucking stupid. They NEVER learn from their predecessors mistakes. In 10 years time we will have a reboot of the marvel franchises again cuz they've fucked it right up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This whole Avengers collaboration is going to be a total clustercuss.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Gah my first thoughts were the X-men films too. We shall have to wait and see. :(

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
FYI, Favreau said that he hoped to "find something that lights a fire [inside him]" and to "blow people away, which is easier to do with a project that isn't loaded with built-in expectations." Favreau added, "Marvel and I both came of age together. ... The years that we shared were a pivotal experience. Kevin [Feige] has a firm grasp on the many franchises and how they all interweave and I am happy that I had the opportunity to establish the world that these characters can now play in?. Iron Man has given me tremendous opportunities and Kevin and I are enjoying a lot of momentum in our careers thanks to the Iron Man films. I look forward to seeing what others can do playing in the same world."

So, i guess there´s no bad blood between him and Marvel Studios. He just didnt know how to improve the formula and left. I think he made a good move. A lot of people felt that IM2 was an inferior (altough still entertaining) sequel, and the franchise might need a new creative vision to keep things fresh. That said, i enjoyed Favreau´s contribution to those movies and i hope Cowboys and Alens and Magic Kingdom perpetuate his solid filmography.

gauntsghosts

Oct 19, 2010
Enjoyed the first; second was a bit too... "oh wow, look everyone, Stark is out of control again!!"

With that said, it would appear that Marvel are trying to transfer comics > film, literally - in that they have crossovers from freakin' everywhere, to the point where you need to watch every film/[buy every comic] just to understand wtf is going on.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hah love it when the suits in the board room make all the decisions based on $$

Shortsighted economics woo.

Ironman 3 will probably still make some crazy money thou. (i'll be one of those sheep heh)

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Okay. I'm already going to assume Iron Man III is going to suck. I need a trailer to wow me.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Quantum Roberts said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*inhales*
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Here this will help.

I smell 3'rd movie will suuuck.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This was my reaction

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

As if Marvel don't have the money to hire a talented director the cheap cunts.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
oh ffs Marvel, the loss of Favreau to your stingyness doesn't piss me off nearly as much as the thought that you could be trying to shoe horn stuff into the third Iron Man movie.

I can only hope that the reason that the third Iron Man movie scripts depends on the other is just because since the movies are in the same universe they need basic character and word development details down to make sure they fit together instead of for the horrible reason in this article.

Have people learned nothing from Dark Knight? Let the creative people make the creative choices.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Oh come on.

Iron-Man was such an awesome movie, the second one was alright so don't ruin the third one. It's a real shame to just ruin the series like this.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Awww, I was never a big fan of Ironman, and the movies changed that a little for me. Marvel's movieverse was shaping up to be something that could stand alongside DC's stellar Animated Universe...but I always figured things would fall apart before Avegners was even in theaters. Only time will tell now, I guess.