JonTron takes a hiatus from GameGrumps

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
First, I'm a little saddened that Jon left the show. He shouldn't have caved in to the Pressure, but I understand that he would want to make some new JonTrons.

Secondly, wait, he's gonna come back? I thought he officially quit the show, not went on a Hiatus... Well, if he Did went on Hiatus, that's good! That makes me feel a little better.

Third, Dan, or whatever his name is, is okay, and he had a really funny bit at the end of the Punch-Out episode. Hopefully he'll be a good replacement for Jon (Either Temp. or Permanently).

Fourth, Steam Train... It's okay... Could be better. Not Game Grumps.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
It was good when they were funny. Lately its just been Arin being pompous claiming how everything today sucks and gaming isn't innovating... all while fellating Nintendo and the guy who made Braid.. Blow or whatever. Jon was the main reason I watched the show because his opinions seemed to be a bit more tolerable.

I don't know if I'll continue watching after this.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe it's a good thing Jon takes a break. As talented and funny as he and Arin are, I don't feel like its enough to put out material at the pace they did and maintain a high level of quality. Game Grumps has been very uneven as of late with some episodes having really funny lines, but far more just being dull, unrelated drivel, or annoying yelling.

So yeah, take a time-out, do something else for a while and come back fresh. Might be a good idea.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, so obviously, as a huge grumps/jontron fan, I was disappointed. Completely out of nowhere, too. And I have no idea who this Dan guy is.

But hell, it's not as if giving him a chance was gonna take more from me than ten minutes (especially seeming as the new BL2 DLC is taking much longer than that to download) and so I watched the latest video. And yeah, it still works. Dan's pretty funny. Not so sure about steam train, but I'll get round to trying that out too.

As for Jon, well, hopefully we'll get more jontron episodes now. Not much more to say.

Terminate421 said:
And they were at episode 108 on sonic....

dammit.
This is the lone thing that actually does piss me off a little. Sonic 06 was one of the grumps' biggest series. It became more than comedy to me. It was seeing two people who were, at times, bad at well-designed, well-made games, let alone one as poorly made as sonic 06, trying to pull through and survive this trial. It was an underdog story. And coming all this way to not eventually see this wierd torpedo through to the end? Practically criminal.

But still, I understand. Maybe Arin and Dan'll pick up where they left off.

Another question though...will we ever see another guest grumps? Seriously, the grant kirkhope episode is one of my all time favourites. Then again, I guess they really have to push to get someone like that on there...

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'm fine with jon leaving, it's his choice, and game grumps will still be funny, just at a lower quality.
However that steam train is absolutely awful, aside from the opening song.

Fodder Aplenty

Nov 3, 2011
Doclector said:
Okay, so obviously, as a huge grumps/jontron fan, I was disappointed. Completely out of nowhere, too. And I have no idea who this Dan guy is.

But hell, it's not as if giving him a chance was gonna take more from me than ten minutes (especially seeming as the new BL2 DLC is taking much longer than that to download) and so I watched the latest video. And yeah, it still works. Dan's pretty funny. Not so sure about steam train, but I'll get round to trying that out too.

As for Jon, well, hopefully we'll get more jontron episodes now. Not much more to say.

Terminate421 said:

dammit.
This is the lone thing that actually does piss me off a little. Sonic 06 was one of the grumps' biggest series. It became more than comedy to me. It was seeing two people who were, at times, bad at well-designed, well-made games, let alone one as poorly made as sonic 06, trying to pull through and survive this trial. It was an underdog story. And coming all this way to not eventually see this wierd torpedo through to the end? Practically criminal.
i don't know why everyone thinks sonic 06 is over. they probably have the rest of it prerecorded.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I'm actually kinda glad this happened. GG was getting a bit stale, and Chulip was pretty much the only thing I was looking forward to each day. But then they stopped putting out new episodes for it and... I wasn't too pleased.

But it's nice to finally get some change going on to keep things interesting.

We get Jon making moar JanTrans, and we get Mr. Danny Sex-Bang himself as an excellent replacement co-host.

Also, Steam Train doesn't look all that bad. I plan on watching their Hotline Miami playthrough.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm pretty happy, I really liked their solo work but as a team their stuff became obscenely repetitive. Sure there were some gold nuggets in there but it really wasn't worth wading through the mountains of shit which was their overused memes. While I think they really did find some success I really think it could have been better if they had just slowed things down and not just cranked things out in such rapid succession.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Fair enough. If Jon wants to do his own thing for a bit, that's good. I like his review style. And I'm willing to give this new guy a shot. Even ifhe's bad, Arin is still funny. Hopefully Barry is staying on.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'm just gonna tab their page and see those subscribers drop.

I've wanted GG to end for some time now, or at least go on hiatus so Jontron can FINALLY put out some new episodes instead of pumping out hundreds upon hundreds of GameGrump videos, of which I've probably only seen maybe 20.

I think they coasted on GameGrumps for far too long. It's not like they ever did anything with it apart from show 10 minutes of gameplay with maybe some entertaining commentary put in.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Fodder Aplenty said:
Doclector said:

Terminate421 said:

dammit.
i don't know why everyone thinks sonic 06 is over. they probably have the rest of it prerecorded.
A possibility, but I don't think they'd actually announce jon's departure THEN show more episodes with jon in it.

Jun 24, 2009
SilkySkyKitten said:
Ehh, on one hand I'd like to say "what a shame". On the other hand, I honestly haven't found GameGrumps to be all that entertaining for quite a while. It started out awesome, but a lot of their recent videos have degraded into Jon and Arin just rambling about random nonsense with gameplay footage in the background. As in, it's sometimes almost painfully clear they don't give a damn about the game they're playing and just use it as an excuse to post videos of them just talking about crap.

I'm kinda hopeful that maybe this will make things better, but I'm doubtful of that.
I feel the same way. It was the best thing ever when it first started, but it just started to wear on me. Eventually, it was more tedious than entertaining.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm fine with this. From what I've seen, Jon's individual videos are pretty awesome.

Plus Danny, from the looks of the Punch-Out video, doesn't seem half bad.

Shame a lot of the people don't seem to be taking this very well if the amount of dislikes proves anything.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
I unsubbed from Game Grumps a while back. It'd just devolved into Jon and Arin talking about shit unrelated to the game, singing and screaming at random, and being terrible at the games they were playing (Sonic '06's later episodes, Naughty Bear, and Arin's playthrough of Star Fox 64). I'd stopped watching Game Grumps VS specifically when the Ultimate Muscle episode was released, since Jon had become a whiny sore loser whenever they played a fighting game. Jon's solo stuff is a lot better in my opinion.

I like Dan a lot better, since he actually seems to pay attention to the game he and Arin are playing the majority of the time. I might actually re-subscribe if this continues. They should probably change the theme song, though. It just doesn't work with Dan.

Steam Train, on the other hand? Ugh...at least the theme song's alright. Whichever one keeps doing that voice in Hotline Miami needs shut the fuck up. I can't tell, but I hope that's Ross so I don't have to put up with that in future Grumps episodes.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm pretty sad about this news, although maybe because something about 100x worse happened to me today, this is pretty small time sadness.

On another note Dan's first episode was okay, so I haven't given up on the series, but the new intro is just ughhhh. I really hope Jon makes an appearance once in awhile and I hope Sonic 06 gets completed or finished getting uploaded.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Doclector said:
Terminate421 said:

dammit.
This is the lone thing that actually does piss me off a little. Sonic 06 was one of the grumps' biggest series. It became more than comedy to me.
what if they stopped it there on purpose, and in the future they release a big full hour finale with jon, dan and grant grumping over it while grant tells more stories relating childhood games with his balls

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I have mixed feelings. I love Jontron, and have enjoyed pretty much all of the Game Grumps episodes that I have watched. Though, I haven't watched all of them.

So, I guess I have no real strong feelings on this.

Though, who is the girl with them? I know Arin, and I'm pretty sure the guy is Barry, who edits the show, but I don't think I've ever heard mention of a girl that supports the show in any way.

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
I used to watch them, and I hope it doesn't upset the balance of the show as I feel no malice towards them

but to be fair, they should just start every new game they play with "this game was from our chldhood so we love it, if its not from our childhood its crap"

and Jon's tendency to hate any kind of tutorial mixed with Arin's preference for very mechanically simple games made their complaints very repetitive so some new blood might actually get me watching again

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
OK, I've posted in this thread already, but that was before the Steam Train videos came out. Jesus Christ, in a show about computer games, they can barely run a game that almost any computer could run, at half speed? And they think that is an acceptable, good idea to upload as a first episode? This is pretty terrible.

I mean seriously, no one took a look at that first video and said "hey, maybe this is poor quality on multiple levels, maybe we should start the new show with a little more effort.."?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'm sad, of course, but I don't see much of a loss. I thought Jon was pretty weak compared to Arin, though Jon is pretty buttkickin'. And regardless, I just don't watch much GameGrumps, it's too freaking long and the commentary is all over the place.

I mostly know it's still going on because of the animated shorts. But those animated short worthy events are around 30 seconds of a 15:00+ video that can, otherwise, be filled with Jon and Arin talking about precum.