Joss Whedon Explains New Avengers 2 Cast Members

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Joss Whedon Explains New Avengers 2 Cast Members

One's a hyper-fast elitist and the other's his gorgeous, nigh-omnipotent sister. Joss Whedon explains how Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch might fit into The Avengers 2.

In Marvel's comic book continuity, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are ... interesting characters. That was an ellipsis of hesitation, as I've no real idea how to describe a duo who has, over the past few decades, depowered the majority of mutant-kind, introduced a new generation of comic book fans to the concept of fraternal incest, and opted to side with their father, the oft-megalomaniacal Magneto, as often as they've played for the side of the angels. Plus Scarlet Witch got knocked up by a robot and had two kids that may or may not actually exist. Then she went crazy and rewrote reality.

Because comics.

Point being: When compared to the cast of heroes assembled for The Avengers, Pietro and Wanda aren't exactly sterling representatives of the battle against evil. According to director Joss Whedon, that kind of conflict is exactly why he's added Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch to the cast of Avengers 2.

"They're interesting to me because they sort of represent the part of the world that wouldn't necessarily agree with The Avengers," Whedon states in a recent IGN interview. "So they're not there to make things easier. I'm not putting any characters in the movie that will make things easier."

Conflict? Great. We're all about conflict. Especially when one of the characters creating said conflict has the power to do literally anything. If nothing else, that should justify some awesome CG effects.

Fortunately for Whedon's plans, the inclusion of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 should also appease long-time, hardcore comic book fans. The duo have a long history with The Avengers, and the Scarlet Witch is considered one of the group's core members in the comics. Of course, if this is going to be a trend, we fear which new heroes Whedon will want to introduce in Avengers 3. Wonder Man? Tigra? The Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel?

Have I ever mentioned how much cash I'd spend to see a proper Nextwave film adaptation? Millions, you guys. Millions.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/17/joss-whedon-talks-quicksilver-the-scarlet-witch-and-iron-mans-roles-in-avengers-2]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I steadfastly refuse to take the bait. I will not Google Nextwave. Instead, I'll just swallow my geek pride and admit that I have no idea what that is.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I thought Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were owned by Fox on account of being part of the X-Men franchise? Or am I missing something here? In any case, it'll be a little odd to see them in a universe where Magneto doesn't exist. Should be interesting, though.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Anachronism said:
I thought Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were owned by Fox on account of being part of the X-Men franchise? Or am I missing something here? In any case, it'll be a little odd to see them in a universe where Magneto doesn't exist. Should be interesting, though.
Because they first showed up as characters in the Avengers comics they can be used outside of the x-men. But only as long as you do not mention mutants, Magneto or X-men.

Long live lawyers I guess

Dec 14, 2009
Anachronism said:
The characters themselves aren't owned by Fox.

Any inclusion of them would probably come with the caveat that

1: There is no mention that Magneto is their father

2: There is no mention of the the term 'mutants'

Essentially, they have to avoid the whole Xmen universe.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Tombsite said:
Anachronism said:
Because they first showed up as characters in the Avengers comics they can be used outside of the x-men. But only as long as you do not mention mutants, Magneto or X-men.

Hahaha, our IP laws are just fucking absurd.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Anachronism said:
I'm still hoping that the Agents of Shield series is going to be there to facilitate all those characters that have movie rights tied up elsewhere. It'd be a great place to see some Whedony Marvel Xmen /Spiderman goodness.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Anachronism said:
Back when they initially signed over the X-Men properties to FOX they specifically left out the characters Scarlet Which and Quicksilver in the event of an Avengers movie.

OT: Wonder how they will explain their origins give FOX's current ownership of X-Men movie rights.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Eh....never was a fan of Scarlet Witch, her powers were more annoying then anything else(she can be a total god in one comic and barely a generic beam shooter in another) boring personality wise, and I would rate her pretty low on the babe chart when compared to other Marvel super-heroines. The only thing interesting about her is her god-awful luck, and watching the other heroes clean up her mess.

Quicksilver on the other hand is a lot more fun, hero or villain he was always one of the characters I enjoyed reading about, so hopefully they get him right.

Overall there's better choices out there for Avengers 2, but I guess these aren't the worse.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I steadfastly refuse to take the bait. I will not Google Nextwave. Instead, I'll just swallow my geek pride and admit that I have no idea what that is.
Do it!

It's one of the greatest comic book stories ever written, and is absolutely worth the time it'll take you to read through the 12-issue run.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Entitled said:
Tombsite said:
Anachronism said:

Hahaha, our IP laws are just fucking absurd.
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon poked fun of that in the film itself. He's sorta known for poking fun at his own work.

Captain A: So... what's you two's story? How'd you get your powers?
Scarlet Witch: From our father, of course.
Captain A: And... who's your father?
Scarlet Witch: Well, you see-
Fury: Stop! Rogers, I get you don't trust them, but there's some holes you just don't stick your head down. I vouch for them, leave it at that.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
At it's most basic? It's a Warren Ellis series that's a borderline parody of the Marvel Universe with lots of explosions (many of which are provided by a woman who's superpower is basically defined as "make stuff blow up" [and stealing your stuff]). It's actual canon status within the mainstream Marvel U is debatable because it wasn't intended to be part of 616, but where the fans would really like to believe that it is.

It's a...'quirky'...series to say the least. It's all rather absurd, really.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
NEXT WAVE!

It's like Shakespeare
But with lots more punching
It's like Goethe
But with lots more crushing
Like Titanic
But the boat's still floating
No it's not!
The motherfucking boat is exploding!
NEXTWAVE!
NEXTWAVE!

Dirk Anger
Is one crazy mamma-jamma
He leads HATE
Sitting around in his pretty pink pajamas
HATE was formed
By the Beyond Coporation
Purposely
To bring about catastrophic devastation!

NEXTWAVE!
NEXTWAVE!

Do you want a haircut?
The Beyond Corporation's gonna help you out
Do you need a toothbrush?
The Beyond Corporation's got an extra one
Do you have a step-son?
The Beyond Corporation's gonna rub him out
Do you see a monster?
Or a pirate?
Electric emu?
A giant sky-rat?
A midget Hitler?!
Or Pontius Pilate!

Don't call your mom or your doctor,
Just pick up the phone and call!

NEXTWAVE! Wooawoaah
NEXTWAVE!

Give us a NextWave rollcall!

MONICA!
Is gonna microwave your (whistle)
TABBY!
Is gonna steal all your stuff!
AARON!
Is going to organize your sock drawer!
ELSA!
Is gonna speak with an accent!
THE CAPTAIN!
His name is The Captain!

NEXTWAVE!
NEXTWAVE!
NEXTWAVE! Somebody please, please call...
NEXTWAVE!

For God's sake, somebody call NextWave...

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I really didn't like The Avengers, but this film needs Ant-Man, Wasp and Vision for this not to be another waste of time on my part.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
vid87 said:
Scarlet Witch vs. The Infinity Gauntlet = Hell yeah!
This, definitely this. Wanda proved to be the only definitive counter for the Phoenix, and now the flaming parrot is extinguished. Can't wait to see how she stands up against the gems. IMO Ant-Man can wait for the 3rd. Thanos has been revealed as a possible villain for 2, and throwing Ultron into the mix would lessen the impact of both as well as leave fans scratching their heads.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Damn it no! Marvel have hated me for a long time and now Whedon! Just give me Doctor Strange already. Why will they not do this for my? Did I piss them off somehow? Don't make me wait until phase 3. Don't waste time on Ant-Man or Captain America 2, just give me a Doctor Strange movie and then stick him in The Avengers 2.