Joss Whedon Interested in Directing a Star Wars Movie

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Joss Whedon Interested in Directing a Star Wars Movie

Josh Whedon thinks that Star Wars needs to move away from familiar faces and "create the characters that other people are going to grow up reading about."

Whenever you make a list of nerd-friendly directors, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/joss%20whedon?os=joss+whedon>Joss Whedon's name is pretty much guaranteed a high spot. Whether you're talking Buffy, Firefly or, of course, The Avengers, there are few people that people that the geek community trusts more to craft interesting worlds and take care of the established ones. With The Avengers: Age of Ultron almost here however, Whedon will <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/22/joss-whedon-on-leaving-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-time-to-dream-another-dream>soon be departing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20cinematic%20universe?os=marvel+cinematic+universe>the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Many, in turn, are wondering what might be next for the famed director. If his response to some recent questions is any indicator, he could be interested in a galaxy far, far away.

<a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/24/joss-whedon-wants-star-wars-gig-but-no-marvel-crossover>When asked by reporters if he might consider directing a future <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars film, Whedon responded with what can perhaps be best described as a very firm affirmative. "Right now I'd be interested in a long nap! But are you kidding? It's Star Wars! It's always going to be Star Wars!" He would go on to affirm that there are some limits to what he'd be willing to do with the beloved franchise, however. Were Disney, Lucasfilm and Marvel to ever consider a crossover between the two universes, he wouldn't be down for it. Likewise, he also expressed his belief that the new trilogy needs to move away from the trio of Luke, Leia and Han and work to establish its new characters as being front-and-center protagonists. "We're all painfully aware that at some point we'll be running on fumes," he said. "I love working with the characters I grew up reading about but we need to create the characters that other people are going to grow up reading about."

The question this raises, of course, is if Whedon himself would be right for the Star Wars universe. Honestly, while I love his work just as much as the next person, I'm not sure if he'd be the right fit for a mainline entry in the franchise's ongoing saga of the battle between light and darkness. His writing just strikes me as being a bit too quippy for that sort of thing. That said, I would personally love to see him take on a side film focused on the sort of Han Solo-ish smugglers and outlaws that clearly influenced Firefly and Serenity. What do you guys think?

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/24/joss-whedon-wants-star-wars-gig-but-no-marvel-crossover>IGN

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What? That'd be a terrib-

Oh, wait, yeah, the prequels. Nevermind, can't really get worse.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Just put him on one of those new movies separate from the trilogy and call it a day.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think Shearer has a point. Whedon's strengths tend to lie in making the epic small (the only person who can defend humanity from darkness deals with the problems of being a teenage girl, the last rebels standing take on odd jobs and try to stay under the radar, supervillain blogs about his insecurities) than the other way around (farm boy learns magic, saves universe.)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Joss Whedon doing a Star Wars movie? Okay, now you have my attention. Though if he does, I'm concerned he might end up killing off a character we've grown to known and love. Seriously, I love Whedon's writing style, but that always pissed me off about his works...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I think Whedon would be a bad fit: his stuff is way too self-aware to work for star wars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled Abrams is the guy that was ultimately picked, but I do think he's a better choice than Whedon.

Whedon's statement that they need to get away from established characters pretty much just means "I can make a movie fanfiction about star wars"; considering the original trilogy focused on the same characters throughout is a pretty good reason to get some continuity going for the new ones (although handing the baton to their offspring is a good idea for a number of reasons). Lucas basically tried the new characters approach once already, and it was terrible. I can easily see Whedon having a bunch of snarky characters too involved in their own drama to focus on the bigger picture, and none of us caring because those characters are nobodies.

Like someone else said, Whedon is good at making the big conflict super personal, and what star wars has always been good at was making the personal part of the bigger picture.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Josh Whedon thinks that Star Wars needs to move away from familiar faces and "create the characters that other people are going to grow up reading about."
My opinion of Whedon just jumped up several notches.

I wouldn't be a fan of him doing the main trilogies' storylines (1-3, 4-6, 7-9) but a Whedon side movie set in the Star Wars universe with all new characters revolving around a smaller scale plot - That would be awesome!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah no, I think I'd still take the wooden dialogue from the prequels over Whedon's characters.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
"Likewise, he also expressed his belief that the new trilogy needs to move away from the trio of Luke, Leia and Han and work to establish its new characters as being front-and-center protagonists."

....They are. In the initial trailer who is the FIRST person we see? John Boyega's Finn, a brand new character. Same with Daisy Ridley's Rey whose current role is unknown. The only time we saw old characters was in the second trailer with R2, a cloaked Luke, Han, and Chewie and they were either brief or saved until the very end. Was he even paying attention? Of COURSE the new trilogy is going to be about new characters, but they need the old ones to act as a bridge for now and they've already been perfectly clear in saying that the old gang are the supporting cast. If he doesn't even realize that I highly doubt he'll ever be given the reins to a Star Wars film.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
StewShearer said:
Whenever you make a list of nerd-friendly directors, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/joss%20whedon?os=joss+whedon>Joss Whedon's name is pretty much guaranteed a high spot.
Yeah, right. Maybe when he's not busy calling them the KKK because his bestest coffee buddy Anita S. told him to. But these are trying times for the entertainment industry, so I guess he figures it makes sense to kiss the Godmother's ring for "insurance". You make a nice movie, would be a shame if someone was to call it "misogynistic" and set the SocMed furies on it.

Unlike some, I actually like the majority of his stuff, and no doubt he could make a serviceable flick about a young, flexible, misunderstood but defiant, brunette Padawan girl. (He definitely has a type. Or a trope, even.) With a smattering of genre-acknowledging wisecracks, light bondage themes and some tasteful below-the-ankle nudity, of course. It's just that he's become so unbearable in his smug hypocrisy that I find the prospect of giving him money extremely distasteful. So I say keep the fool away from Star Wars.

Begun, the Ben Kuchera Clone Wars have.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wish they'd given the entirety of Star Wars to him instead of Jar Jar. Given his track record with Marvel, he would have been much less likely to kill the EU. It would have been easy to build original content in the EU universe at any point in the timeline.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah but I really don't want to see Eliza Dushku or Amy Acker in Star Wars. And this is Joss we're talking about. I'm pretty sure he's legally obligated to put both of them in staring rolls in everything he does.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Ya, initially my inner geek couldn't shout "YES!!!" loud enough.

But he does have a point, his writing style and dialogue is a little quippy and snarky for the universe. I mean, he would write the hell out of a Han-like character, but I'm not sure how he'd do with the stoic and terse Jedi.

Though I do like the idea of giving him a spinoff movie. I think he could do awesome things with the universe, but maybe not the main Jedi/Republic/Sith/Empire structure.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Dialog too quirky for Star Wars? "Would it help if I got out and pushed?" "It might!" Too quirky for Jedi? "You want to go home, and re-think your life." "The negotiations were brief." No, I don't think that's a problem.

He probably would kill Chewbacca, though.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
McMarbles said:
I'm for anything that gets J. J. Abrams off another franchise.
Nailed it.

Whedon has weaknesses, but he's the only one spouting off basic common sense, which I guess makes him the most qualified.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Hey if he can make a Star Wars movie with space battles as epic as the one in Serenity but with a much bigger budget now that he has the clout, hell I'll watch it for that alone. In fact scratch that, just make the whole movie one continuous space battle and I'd be fine with that. It would be nice if we could get away from the jedi for once.