Joss Whedon Is Still Bitter About Firefly

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Its been 8 years, its getting to the point where people bitching about Firefly is getting really annoying

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I'm still bitter about it because it was definitely one of the greatest TV series in the world... But then again they did kill off my favourite character from the series in its movie so I wouldn't watch it even if they didn't cancel it.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I enjoyed Dollhouse but it's a tough world when you have to start a show in a serial format and then evolve the larger story arcs after the characters are established.

It could be that I "got" this show because I also liked it the first time when it was called The Pretender. It's a good premise and Eliza Dushku is very very watchable as a lead.

What really makes me question Fox's judgment over Whedon's execution is not so much that they canceled Dollhouse, but that they KEPT Dollhouse for a second season while CANCELING the Terminator series, which was really ramping up into something worthwhile IMO. It was the superior show and if they had to cut one, with all the respect in the world to Whedon, they cut the wrong one. Frankly, my Friday nights were better when they were filled with Dushku AND Summer Glau.

The crime of the death of Whedon's shows is that he really does craft some memorable characters IMO, and the thing with Firefly is that it exemplifies that concept so well. It totally bombed on TV but the people who got to see it loved it, and clamored for a movie, which they got. A movie based on a BOMBED TV SHOW. Not to mention a movie which was heralded as sublime, and one of the better sci-fi movies of its era.

And they did not have to re-invent the wheel to do it; they started with Simon and River immediately - the focal point of the plot - and after the title splash, they introduced all of the characters on board, complete with personality type and station, in a single five-minute scene on the ship, and you get the premise and you're ready to go. It's BETTER if you saw the show but completely unnecessary.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Trivun said:
Pandalisk said:
Im bitter about it too, i really got into it when i first heard of it on these forums and i really enjoyed what little there was of it.

Well at least he admits his failures, people love to ***** about Alien Resurrection something chronic so its nice to see he can save face about it. I believe he'll make the Avengers something special...J.J. Abrams however..I dunno, i didn't really mind what he's made, but i've never liked them etheir, dare i trust in him?
Abrams also made Cloverfield, and the newest Star Trek film.
Both of which should be punishable by death.
The new Trek film was horrible, I walked out of there going "how did the get the characters so right but the plot so wrong"

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Hallow said:
Firefly is 8 years old
you people seriously need to move the fuck on.
(it wasn't even that good of a show anyway)
Dude, you need to step back and realize that age has nothing to do with the validity of an IP. Firefly may be 8 years old, but it's also THAT GOOD.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Okay, Escapist posters, negativity to Whedon about Dollhouse or Buffy or Alien Resurrection I guess I can understand, but negativity against Firefly? That's...that's damn near inconceivable.

I don't believe in many universal truths. I don't think death and taxes are inevitable; science very well may some day find a way to imbue immortality, and taxes are already avoidable if you're rich enough. I don't believe that the sun will rise every day, because eventually, millions of years from now, it will explode and consume our solar system. But one universal constant, one absolute truth, was this: all geeks love Firefly.

You people have shattered my worldview. I don't know what to think.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Hallow said:
Firefly is 8 years old
Dude, you need to step back and realize that age has nothing to do with the validity of an IP. Firefly may be 8 years old, but it's also THAT GOOD.
It really isn't. The western thing was half assed, and it's basically star wars (better yet, LOTR) with River as the last jedi.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Firefly could have been Star Trek big, Dollhouse on the other hand didn't win me over.

I'm interested in what he'll come up with in the future. The man's got the chops, he just needs a new hook.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Hallow said:
Flying-Emu said:
Hallow said:
Firefly is 8 years old
It really isn't. The western thing was half assed, and it's basically star wars with River as the last jedi.
Well, the majority of the people on this board would disagree with you. But that's alright. Entitled to your opinion and whatnot.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I would still be bitter too. It is probably the greatest thing Joss Whedon made. If I were him watching it be handled so poorly would be an outrage and the cancellation is just kicking me while I am down.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
He worked on Alien Resurrection? I loved that movie. I honestly liked it more than Alen 3.
But who isn't bitter about Firefly?

Commies and FOX, thats it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Wait, did you just say "screw up The Avengers"? Joss doesn't screw things up, they're screwed up for him.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
008Zulu said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
He doesn't learn, he just doesn't learn.
I was watching an episode of Dollhouse the other week and a thought occured to me;

Joss Whedon is a Doll programmed by the Fox execs for them to smack around whenever they want to feel like men.
And they made him a doll that makes a show about dolls just as a cruel way to further their sadistic pleasure.

OT: I didn't watch Firefly and Serenity until early this year, but I enjoyed them immensely, there are very few shows I enjoyed more.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Still a tragedy that Firefly was cancelled.

I have long given up hope for that show coming back, though. What's there was amazing, as well.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Hallow said:
Firefly is 8 years old
You sir are going to the special part of hell, the one where they send people who talk at the pictures. Ok yes it is true I should get over it, but if I am in my 20's and still haven't forgiven my parents for putting me on this planet what are the chances I will forgive fox for messing up one of the few things I love?

The firefly wound is never allowed to fully heal as every time I see a bas space tv show it reminds me of what I lost and what crap the public is watching now. Salt into my wounded heart.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
Hallow said:
It really isn't. The western thing was half assed, and it's basically star wars (better yet, LOTR) with River as the last jedi.
Did... did you even WATCH the show? Because if you did you'd know how silly you look making totally false comments like that.
In a galaxy far, far away...
The Empire has taken over. The Rebels defeated, remain on the outer brinks in worlds that vaguely resembles the Wild West. A band of hearty travelers who were once part of the rebel alliance are now workers for hire. Their band consists of Aragon, Han solo and his wife Lorien Chewbacca, Gimli, a whore, a hippie, ben kanobi, a doctor, and the last jedi named Frodo. However frodo is merely a byproduct from an experiment gone awry which led to the creation of orcs that roam the galaxy and kill anyone/thing in their path. The band of travelers become family in their quest to escape the Empire's clutches and foil their evil plans. While frodo strives to attain inner peace, dealing with the increasing burden his powers give him.

Maybe I am taking things out of context. But for me, it's just so easy to draw parallels from both worlds that all meaning is lost when I try to watch Firefly. I've seen the show, and the movie, and I thought it was bad.

You wanna know what show I'm pissed off about (but I've made my peace with)?
Dead Like Me
The movie was complete shit, even the cast admitted it, but Dead Like Me is infinitely better than Firefly.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
like where? cause i pretty much covered the basics, I didn't go all out, like mentioning the romance between Kaylee and Simon

and it's not just star wars, but also LOTR is present