Joss Whedon to Direct Batgirl Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Joss Whedon to Direct Batgirl Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1392/1392976.jpg

Does this make up for The Killing Joke?

Despite being one of the most popular characters in the Alicia Silverstone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dc+comics], and she's appeared in many of the animated movies and TV series (both live-action and animated), but never as the star in a big-budget live-action movie.

It looks like that's about to change.

As Warner Bros. [https://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/], set to be part of the DC Extended Universe.

The kicker? It's going to be written and directed by none other than Joss Whedon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/joss+whedon].

Whedon, of course, has already directed leaving the Marvel Cinematic Universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5674-Avengers], it appears that he looked elsewhere to direct a female-led superhero movie.

There is not currently any information regarding a star or even a scheduled release date.

The next movie in the DCEU is Wonder Woman, which is scheduled to hit theaters on June 2, 2017.

Source: Variety [https://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/]

[gallery=7119]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wait... This is DCEU news... and I feel... optimistic? WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Huh, well I didn't see that coming. Joss has soured his soul by working with Fox multiple times, and now he's trying his luck with Warner and the thus far cursed DCEU? As a fan [of him, not the DCEU], I wish him the very best...

I'd have thought Batwoman would be a better, more interesting Bat-XX for Joss, then again I don't really know anything about Batgirl.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Wow, getting the go to guy for badass female leads to do a heroine movie, instead of Zack Snyder's friends?

Who are you and what did you do to Warner Bros?!

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I have to admit I am a little disappointed. I think Batwoman would be more interesting character to bring to the big screen. Honestly, I would like to see Joss Whedon do something else but comic book movies next. He pulled off something that people didn't think it could happen. Making a great movie out of a superhero team-up.

I don't get the appeal of Batgirl. She is a highly derivative character. A female and teen version of an already popular, established hero. That has been done to death in comic books. If the movie focus on her being The Oracle, that could be good. I am not holding out any hope that would be the case.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
There's worse choices. I just hope kneejerk political movements don't hark on it instantly like they have before. "guy says one dumb thing" BETTER BOYCOTT.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, if we're sticking with the current iteration of the cinematic DC universe, Batman is old enough that Batgirl could be Barbara Gordon or Cassandra Cain. Or Stephanie Brown, for that matter. There's enough room there to make a unique and interesting iteration, assuming the fumbling mitts of WB can leave well enough alone.

Granted, I'd rather have Whedon working on that Black Widow movie, but this could work.

You know, assuming the cinematic DC universe doesn't self-immolate in the mean time.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The DCEU is pretty much fucked anyway. Joss Whedon makes good movies, but I don't know if he can even do anything to fix this clusterfuck.

Batgirl will probably be better than any other DCEU film, but I doubt that one movie can fix this.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Marter said:
We saw her first (movie-wise) in the super-duper and amazingly fantastic live-action film Batman & Robin [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%26_Robin_(film)][...]
Well, I for one am glad you enjoyed that movie; it is my understanding it was not appreciated by a large subset of the fans at the time of release.

I also am hopeful with this undertaking. Joss Whedon has experience in making action centric female led films, so he sounds like a natural fit. It is WB's attachment that leaves me worried; that leads me to believe that it would be dark and gritty; I don't know if Whedon as ever done that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Poor guy. If he keeps her like the comics, feminists will hate him all over again for not making her OP. If he changes her to be Buffy 2.0, comic fans will scream SJW.
Its a loose/loose. This'll be the nail in the coffin of his career.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
I'm confused.

I've avoided the DCEU after Man of Steel, until I heard at least one of them had a soul (haven't heard of one having one yet).

I do think Joss Whedon is talented (though not to the extent that so many people seem to think), so this might be ok to dare-I-say-it good.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
thenewguy512739 said:
Yay. Can't wait to see how he crowbars humor into another comic book property.
Quite. I mean, it's not like humour's ever been a part of comicbook writing going back generations, or anything.

Callate said:
Granted, I'd rather have Whedon working on that Black Widow movie, but this could work.
I'd rather see him develop another original property - preferably on TV as I feel his strengths better suit the small rather than the big screen.

You know, assuming the cinematic DC universe doesn't self-immolate in the mean time.
I don't see how it could get worse than BvS, so surely the worst's in the past.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Bedinsis said:
Marter said:
We saw her first (movie-wise) in the super-duper and amazingly fantastic live-action film Batman & Robin [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%26_Robin_(film)][...]
Well, I for one am glad you enjoyed that movie; it is my understanding it was not appreciated by a large subset of the fans at the time of release.

I also am hopeful with this undertaking. Joss Whedon has experience in making action centric female led films, so he sounds like a natural fit. It is WB's attachment that leaves me worried; that leads me to believe that it would be dark and gritty; I don't know if Whedon as ever done that.
I thought Angel TV series was dark and gritty for most of it's run.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Written and Directed by Joss Whedon. No doubt will be edited and reshot by executives behind his back based on focus groups reactions and marketing data.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
I don't see how it could get worse than BvS, so surely the worst's in the past.
A lot of people didn't think they'd mess up an Animated Batman movie, or The Killing Joke. Before I put any faith in WB or Joss, I want to know more about what they intend to do. Are they going to double down on the weird mistakes of The Killing Joke? Are they going to screw it up like Cat Woman?

As bad as BvS is to many it was at least a spectacle to observe. It didn't damage the characters any more than was expected. At least a bad Batgirl movie can only really burn a potential Bat Girl franchise like Cat Woman did. It's not as dangerous as a bad Wonder Woman would be. If they screw up WW Batgirl has no hope.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Silentpony said:
Its a loose/loose. This'll be the nail in the coffin of his career.
Well if the nail is that loose it won't be an issue to get it back out again.

Roguebubble

Feb 26, 2012
Somewhat hopeful for this, although I wonder if this means that the DCEU is going to become focus on the batfamily over the other heroes with this and the Nightwing movie. I'm guessing it'll be about Barbara Gordon but I kind of hope it'll be about Cass or Steph (or at the very least feature them prominently). Still this is a ray of hope for the DCEU so fingers cross.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
Darth Rosenberg said:
thenewguy512739 said:
Yay. Can't wait to see how he crowbars humor into another comic book property.
Quite. I mean, it's not like humour's ever been a part of comicbook writing going back generations, or anything.
Oh, the jab was at Joss Wheadon himself; he's great with ensemble casts, but I find his style very irritating. Case in point: "Avengers: Age of Ultron". The whole movie is just filled with quips and one-liners, especially during the action set-pieces (do you really need to discuss weapon maintenance while fighting the guy with the doomsday device?!); it makes for quite a bumpy ride.