Journey is utter brilliance

Dec 14, 2009
As you may or may not have noticed, I like Okami. The game is gorgeous and oozes character with an amzing sountrack to boot.

Journey is my new Okami, it is gaming in it's purest form, it isn't trying too hard to be 'artsy', it isn't pretentious and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The 'multiplayer' is implemented brilliantly, appealing to our desire for companionship, but isn't essential. In all my years of playing videogames, I've never had such an emotional attachment with a stranger before, an experience shared without passing a single word.

The game looks gorgeous, the lighting is brilliant and I've never been so impressed by sand. The whole time I was in the desert, I just felt warm, while the snowy mountain was unforgiving harshness, me and my companion, huddling together, wondering if we'd get through this.

I wasn't following this game, I went in with no expectations and was rewarded with a truly brilliant gaming experience.

This isn't a review, just my opinion of the game, so feel free to share your thoughts too. If you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

You won't be disappointed.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Jim mentioned this game in his latest episode of an example how to do it righ and from the previews I saw it did look interesting.
Sadly I have not got a PS3 and therefore cannot play it(I assume it's PS3 exlusive right?)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yet another reason I want a PS3.
Put it down in price Sony, dammit.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I've been thinking about getting this. Consider me convinced from now on.

While it might sound stupid to follow the recommendation of someone on a forum, something that can evoke such gleaming passion in a person is at least worth a look. Bringing Okami into it did help.

Dec 14, 2009
chimpzy said:
I've been thinking about getting this. Consider me convinced from now on.

While it might sound stupid to follow the recommendation of someone on a forum, something that can evoke such gleaming passion in a person is at least worth a look. Bringing Okami into it did help.
I'm glad I could convince someone :D

It really is brilliant, I felt like a child again, my curiosity pushing me foward, and the game is just gorgeous.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah, the game offers a great experience. And it looks so bloody gorgeous.
On a side note, I find the idea of unique "voice icons" quite brilliant, although I actually noticed this only on my second playthrough.

Really looking forward to their next game.

Dec 14, 2009
Smertnik said:
Yeah, the game offers a great experience. And it looks so bloody gorgeous.
On a side note, I find the idea of unique "voice icons" quite brilliant, although I actually noticed this only on my second playthrough.
Yeah, I liked that too. There's also some slight variation in the pattern of your character clothing, so while you may not be unique, you have some small things to differentiate yourself from your companions.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Yet another reason I want a PS3.
Put it down in price Sony, dammit.
Apparently in Gamestation, as it's closing down, PS3 slims were going as little as £100 brand new.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
I had a companion with me from pretty much 10 minutes in, after first meeting quite the lone wolf type (I pinged at them and yet never got a ping back), we we're extremely tight travelling together, whenever we'd lose each other i'd feel distraught, frantically running around trying to find them, feeling so relieved, we went through a hell of a lot together, and then, right near the end, he just faded away, I didn't know what was going on, I waited 5 or so minutes, hoping they'd come back.

As wonderful and mesmerizing the ending was, I actually felt quite empty not having my long-time companion there with me.

In short, an emotion-invoking, magnum opus of a game.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Smertnik said:
synobal said:
Any news if this is going to hit PC at all?
The chances are very slim, as I see it. Just as Flower, this is as exclusive as it gets.
oh wells, no big loss I guess, and I can always play it a in a few years I guess when the emulator platforms mature.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I'd agree with the OP, adding only the caveat that the game does not take very long to complete and is 15 dollars.

It's a sublime experience for how long it lasts, but just know what you're getting into.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
MisterShine said:
I'd agree with the OP, adding only the caveat that the game does not take very long to complete and is 15 dollars.
And this is why I haven't purchased it.

I'm very interested in the game, but I can't spend 4 days worth of food on something that's going to get me 2-3 hours of entertainment.

It's a shame, because I keep hearing great things.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I watched a video on the game with TB walking the wrong way.

From what I saw (yes, this is what I am basing my entire opinion on) there was no gameplay, there looked like there was more gameplay in the microwave tunnel in MGS4. It looked like all you did was walk/float around as cloth (or something) by pushing a direction.

It reminded me of flower, fuck all to do except fly and part the grass like Moses.

How can it be the purest form of gaming when you had the exact same experience at the end of ME3? Painfully, slowly walking forward to a some objective. Take out the middle man (you as the gamer) and make it a video.

Like I said, I am very ignorant on the matter but that is my opinion as it stands.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
-Samurai- said:
I'm very interested in the game, but I can't spend 4 days worth of food on something that's going to get me 2-3 hours of entertainment.
I think the length is rather spot on. The game isn't drawn out and you can finish it in one sitting which gives you a chance to complete the game with the same person.

omega 616 said:
Like I said, I am very ignorant on the matter but that is my opinion as it stands.
Eh, it's definitely not for everyone, just like Flower. But if a game manages to invoke such strong emotions in so many people then it's not something one should disregard.
As for the lack of gameplay, it's true that Journey is mainly about walking (obviously) but there're enough (in my opinion) gameplay elements to keep it interesting - there's an incentive to explore the world to find hidden stuff, you can interact with other players, later on there're enemies you have to hide from, etc. So it's not like, say, Dear Esther, where you really only walk around, it's an actual game.

bahumat42 said:
So it could exist elsewhere, although i believe the devs have some kind of exclusivity deal with sony. Unfortunately.
Indeed, Journey is part of a three games contract with Sony and I kinda doubt Sony'd give it up. In theory, Flower could be just as well ported to PC - it's pretty much perfect for mouse control.

Dec 14, 2009
omega 616 said:
I watched a video on the game with TB walking the wrong way.

From what I saw (yes, this is what I am basing my entire opinion on) there was no gameplay, there looked like there was more gameplay in the microwave tunnel in MGS4. It looked like all you did was walk/float around as cloth (or something) by pushing a direction.

It reminded me of flower, fuck all to do except fly and part the grass like Moses.

How can it be the purest form of gaming when you had the exact same experience at the end of ME3? Painfully, slowly walking forward to a some objective. Take out the middle man (you as the gamer) and make it a video.

The game is quite platformy and definately has a flow to it.

Think surfing on sand dunes at quite a pace.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Bought the game just a couple of hours ago and can't wait to play it. I didn't expect anything less from the people who created Flower though.

See you in the desert sands maybe :p.

Dec 14, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Bought the game just a couple of hours ago and can't wait to play it. I didn't expect anything less from the people who created Flower though.

See you in the desert sands maybe :p.
That's the beauty of it.

Until the very end of the game, you have no clue who you've been travelling with (a list appears with the names and symbols of those you travelled with).