Journey of the Elementals RP (Pm if Interested, Started)

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
No one was more surprised than Claire that her rest was long and mercifully restful, untroubled by the nightmares that had haunted her every attempt to close her eyes since her arrival on this terrible world. Instead her dreams were populated by comforts; the ring of steel on steel, the thunder and clamor of hooves on the gentle hills of her home, the smell of mint mingling with the stench of the tannery as the wind shifted.

Her eyes opened, and discovering herself still in this Hell did little to dampen her spirits. She was alive, and other than a few aches that would be trivial to her pampered cousins was returned to health. She would not die in this place, Claire determined.

Claire also seemed to be the last of the trio to awaken, to no great surprise. What did surprise her was her near-nudity, her soaked clothes removed with the exception of a modest tunic that fell low enough to cover most of the obscene bits. It was still fairly soggy, but she guessed Alexander had opted to go for the less awkward option. Reasonable, and his healing seemed to have driven out any illness that might have set in.

She sat up slowly, rubbing bleary eyes and wiping out the sand in them. She straightened, stretching her limbs, and was shocked to find that other than some minor stiffness and the usual grogginess from a long, deep sleep she felt fully recovered.

"Al..." She coughed and swallowed, trying to wet her mouth. "Alexander." She pulled herself into a sitting position. "Morning...thank you for the help again, I don't think I properly thanked you before I passed out last night." She tilted her head, a thought finally occurring to her. In Claire's defense she'd been half alive the night before "Did Kerbones send you two through alone? Where's the rest of your group?"

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Fei opened up the book several times as she trudged through the thick rain, but what was inside didn't change. Boring symbols she couldn't understand, and boring symbols she could. I bet mommy could read this...
"Fei, it's really dark out, and wet... maybe we should go back..."
"Come on Evie! I bet we're close to the camp now! Besides, everyone's relying on us to make it there, like my brother, and that maid, and that other maid..." Fei put the book back in her bag, skipping out into the rain before Evie could reply, and ran right into someone. Something?

"OW! Hey!"
"Oh, whoa now cutie pie! Whacha doing all alone out here in the rain!"

Fei had to squint hard to make out the large humanoid thing she ran into. Was it one of the maids? No... it was a centaur! "Hey, hey, I need to find Alexander! I think he was going to meet Kane! Can you take me there?"
"Alexander, huh?... well, it's kind of my shift to guard, ya know? But we're still kind of close, so, don't worry hun, I can take ya there in a bit. You're not one of those maids, are you? Nah, you look too young..."
"I'm one of the mages!"
"Oh! Yeah, from the party! I saw one a ya doing some fancy tricks with some shadows!"
The centaur smelled like a wet horse, Fei giggled. "I'm impressed you made it all the way out here by yourself! You mages must really be something!"
"I can control water! See!" Fei showed her the bubble-brella she had been using.
"Wow, ain't that something!"

Fei happily spent the next hour showing the centaur what she could do, while the centaur sat and nodded attentively. The rain started to clear up, and light began to seep through the clouds. Fei started to get sleepy, yawning between her demonstrations. "You're starting to look a little tired there, sweetie. Time to go back to camp, anyways, and get some good eats! I hope you like bacon and eggs!~"
Fei and Evie followed the centaur through the now dry land. Fei wondered how it got so dry so quick. Now that she thought about it, where did all that water go? It had been raining all night (kind of night), but the land was already drying up and everything! The only lake she had seen was all the wayover there, and there was no way that all that water would fit in there. Did it rain every night? She could have so much water! She could be super powerful at night!

The camp was like a giant tent collection! A lot of them were bigger than the ones she used to sleepover in at home. Centaurs were really bigger, so it made sense, she guessed. There were little pockets of centaurs and such roasting things over the fire, like... this thing with 6 legs, or a collection of pans atop a grill with more normal looking stuff. Fei amassed a collection of food on her plate, sitting down on the ground next to the centaur lady. Before she could start eating, she recognized a familiar-ish mage at the next fire. "Thank you for the food and stuff, but I have a mission! Hey! Alexanderrrr! Alexaaaaandeeeeer..." Fei got up and ran over to where he, that one maid who didn't like to wear clothes, and another girl she had never seen before around the fire. "Alexander! I have something to deliver to you! Look!" She pulled out the book and held it out to him, expecting something momentous to happen.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Jade had taken a seat next to Alexander, and after Claire had asked her question, and Fei suddenly approaching with a book that she was a little surprised to see, she glanced at Claire.

"I...am going to assume Kerbones is a kingdom that you hail from. I'm guessing she might be a bit blind though, as she seemed to miss the wings..." Jade said, stretching the wings a bit before letting them settle back to their folded way.

Meanwhile, the shadow Alexander awoke from his own slumber, having slept longer than he was typically used to. With a yawn and a stretch, he noted the arrival of Fei, and her shadow as well. He regarded them and the rest of the camp quietly, obviously interested in taking note of the odd land around them.

[hr]

As Drew got up, Alice followed suit, obviously planning on being presentable as well when Edgar were to see likely both of them, especially when Drew went to open the door. Collecting the clothes and armor she had discarded the other evening, she began to slip it all back on, adjusting a few straps and other armor parts while Drew finished with his new robes rather quickly and asked her how he looked, which she gave a quick nod.
"As prepared as you need to be, Lord Drew." Alice replied, double checking herself one last time before Drew stepped out to meet Edgar.

"A good morning to you as well, Lord Drew. I imagine you had a proper rest as well last evening. So, let us get this out of the way so we can both tend to the task ahead." Edgar stood straight, no longer wishing to lean against the wall now that Drew had stepped out, with Alice close behind.

"So, you said you wanted to speak with me about things, and I am here to listen. What is it that you thought needed to be discussed? It seemed rather obvious that in some fashion your companion Alexander was breaking into my room. Or was trying to get to something that had broken into my room, which I do not appreciate in either case. So, how are things going to be...elaborated on? I am interested to see if there is some way that you think is worth burning away my door, which I again don't appreciate."

[hr]

"Good morning Seth, my hot pyroboy. I'm surprised you're up so early."

"Well, dreaming of things isn't as much fun as the real thing." Seth replied, brushing some of the hairs away from Jenn's face. She spoke a lot more...softly when they were alone like this, which Seth could only smile about at this point. Pushing himself up to be sitting on the mattress, he trailed the hand down Jenn's shoulder and moving down her arm.

"Besides...I think today is going to be one of those days where we go do a bit of adventuring. And I don't think I could stay in a bed forever...might go crazy from sitting around too long. Even if you do help make the stay much more exciting." Seth continued, playfully pulling Jenn up and close. "Even with the warmth...its always nice to be out and about starting a few fires...as long as you won't mind, of course?"

Seth posed it as a question, though he would likely be setting fire to some things whether the creatures of this land feared it or not. Still, he was taking the discussion as an excuse to linger close a little longer before getting up to get changed....and probably washed too. Never hurt to be clean before setting out again. Hopefully he could remember where those showers were...

"So...how about this time after we wash up we dress in something a lot more casual? Nothing like a suit or dress this time..."

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
"No need to thank me, I only did my job." He said as he tossed her a canteen that had been in his pack.

"You may still want to take it a bit easy. I may have been able to heal wounds and restore some energy, but I can't give your body water or fill your belly with food. So if you haven't been eating and drinking as you should, you are probably weaker than you feel at the moment." He then turned his attention to Fei as she ran up.

"Hopefully you waited until morning to come find me Fei. I'd be concerned if you traveled all through the night." He did his best to hide the bit of embarrassment at sitting in his underwear in front of someone like Fei. He hadn't been self-conscious around Jade and Claire seemed professional enough to understand why he had done what he had done. Fei though, well it felt like he was in his underwear around an 8-year old even though he knew she was over twice that age. He took the book and began to read a bit from it.

"Fei meet Claire, a fellow mage who was sent in before us. The two of you may as well take a seat at the fire and I'll tell you where the rest of our group is." He didn't look at them as he spoke still reading the pages and already flipping to the next page.

"The rest of my group are a couple miles out, in a castle inhabited by a Lord Edgar. To keep things short and leave out the more fantastical elements. He had some artifacts which both caused adverse effects to someone close to me, and I felt the stockpile would eventually lead to very real danger. I don't know how long he had held those items and whether others knew he had them. This lead to me not feeling safe there and nearly being kicked out when I saved that person close to me. So I decided to leave, the rest of the group is still there. Likely either because they don't share my concerns or don't know me that well or particularly like me. In any circumstance I know where I need to go and plan on going there with or without the others."

He paused for a moment in his reading then finished his line of thought.

"I left a brief letter with one of the other members of my group who I trust. Though the sounds coming from his room at the time likely explain why he hasn't come looking for me yet." Lastly he felt he should answer Jade's question.

"Kerbones was the kingdom that had the portal and asked us to come to their aid. The academy is actually based in Kelai Delong, and I am actually from the city of Haka in the Kingdom of Balmin."

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
"You're not my mommy" Fei grumbled. "I can take care of myself! I made it aaaall the way here by myself. So what's it say! Can you read it? Is it a story about doors?" Alexander was being rude and not sharing, so Fei decided to talk to Claire instead. "Hi Claire, I'm Fei! What kind of mage are you? What level of mage are you? Are you from our Academy? This is Evie." Evie waved at Claire in case she could see her, before sitting down next to Alexander's shadow.

Why did you go into that room? What were you doing sneaking around. We could have gotten in even worse trouble"

Fei was jealous that they could just sit around in their underwear. Dad told her that it wasn't polite to sit around in your underwear.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Eventually Isa stirred and propped herself up on an elbow. "We should get up and moving. Doubtless I will be expected back on the battlefield at some point soon. As for you and your fellows..." She left the sentence hanging as she deftly disentangled herself from Gabriel, slipping out from under the sheets without leaving so much as a feather behind. There Isa stretched briefly, extending her wings and retracting them, before casually sauntering into the wardrobe to retrieve her clothing and armour.

Gabriel watched her go for a second, then turned his attention elsewhere. He too stretched as he got up, taking a seat in the fountain for a couple of minutes before drying himself off. "What about us? The mages, I mean," he clarified as he pulled on a shirt from his pack. The pants didn't desperately need to be swapped out.

"Word on the grapevine says you'll be leaving soon. I don't know all the details, but it seems my Lord Edgar's hospitality has run its course. I could be wrong." The thought troubled Gabriel. If someone had made an enemy out of the one individual with whom he hoped the mages had built some degree of rapport... at the very least they would all be on their own once more. "Here's hoping you are," he quietly thought aloud.

Soon Isa emerged from the wardrobe, weapons stowed on her back and Gabriel's robes draped over one arm. "You'll be wanting these before you go any further, I trust?"

"Yes, thank you." Gabriel quickly pulled on his usual garb... well, not exactly usual. It felt different. Smaller. He tried stretching the sleeves to where they usually sat, to no effect. "Huh. Did my robes shrink in the wash or something?"

The question resulted in a laugh. "Gabriel, I'll be honest, you looked ridiculous in that oversized bathrobe of yours. It's been properly fitted now. No more tripping over the hem, or pushing back your sleeves just to use your hands. And I had it brightened up a bit. Overall, the new look suits you. C'mere." Isa took Gabriel by the arm and led him to the wardrobe; one of its walls was given over to a mirror. Gabriel studied his reflection, taking note of the changes in his robes. He was impressed.

"There you have it. A better outfit, a night's worth of dedicated study if Janine got it right, and some new experiences to learn from. I imagine all of these things can be put to good use." Isa tipped the young mage a wink.

"Um, what?"

"Gabriel, surely you must have learned some things from your work last night and my experiment not fifteen minutes ago. Of course, I didn't teach you everything I could have... where's the fun in that? There are still things you need to figure out on your own."

Did she mean what he thought she meant? Probably. "Oh. Oh, right. I suppose. Yes."

"Good. And you have plenty of food and water in your pack. I took care of that while you were sleeping. Now then. Let's get going." Isa made for the door, waiting while Gabriel collected his pack - marginally heavier than it had been - and the crossbow. The weapon seemed a bit redundant now, what with his experiments with steam magic, but it couldn't hurt to bring it along. No sense in leaving it behind when it could still be of use. "Um, Ms Isa?" he asked as he approached the open door.

"Yes, Gabriel?"

"I wanted to thank you for your company last night... and this morning." The latter was accompanied by a new blush as Gabriel remembered her choice of clothing.

"You're more than welcome." Isa bent down and lightly kissed her charge on the cheek.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Drew took a moment to collect his thoughts before actually speaking. There were a few things on his mind, but they all came back to a single point. But it'd probably be best not to start off with it. He'd get to it as fast as he could, but first he'd just have to establish some things. "Ok. I'd just like to start off saying that breaking into your private room was wrong. No argument there. But I can assure you Alexander is no thief. He had a security concern that he voiced poorly to you last night. But he would have left it alone were it not for other circumstances. Now I need to make sure about this: you are POSITIVE you haven't seen any... interesting forms traveling with us? Nothing shadowy? Floaty?"
[hr]

Drew's shadow had spent the night hovering aimlessly around the centaur camp, again taking advantage of its invisibility to the natives. It looked up when Fei approached the camp, steadily hovering closer to the assembled group, waving at Evie in a friendly manner.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Wings? Wait, what? Claire gave Jade a double take before another girl burst in and jabbered out a string of syllables so fast Claire's groggy mind barely recognized they were speech, much less what was actually said. Aaaand this girl had wings too.

"Uh..." She mentally went back over the string and broke it up into managable chunks - apparently Alexander's band included a spastic chipmunk in Human form, lovely. "Hi." She glanced around, her mind begging for tea, or coffee, or anything hot other than boiled water. "I'm a wind mage. Tutored, never went to the Academy, we had some old Weaver who my family paid to teach me. Aren Couth...probably before your time, actually, kid." Back home she would have found Fei annoying, but her innocent demeanor was a nice shift from her daily grind these last weeks.

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Might've been the most peaceful sleep Horatio had experienced in a long while. The alcohol might've helped with that. He awoke, nice and slowly, the warm rays of light lifting him from peaceful slumber. "I'm back in my room." He was back in his room. His usual getup laid out on a nearby chair instead of on the bed. He would've thought he did it himself some time last night, until he noticed a nicely sized carrying sack in the seat. "Looks like Rosa kept her word after all." He figured she left it there after she locked him in with that other mage.

"Speaking of that other mage-" It was obvious she wasn't around. "Hm...maybe she's hiding, yes? Surely just a playful prank being played on little ol' Joey-" He looked around. It was absurdly obvious he didn't lure her back to his room. He sighed. "A little disappointing. Nonetheless-" He hobbled out of bed, noticing the outfit he was still wearing from the night before. "Am I giving this back...?" He mumbled with a cocked eyebrow. "No...?" Well, no one was around to object. "Wonderful. Brand new clothes for me." Guess it meant he had to thank Rosa, and actually be sincere about it. The thought made him groan. "Well, she was a wonderful hostess, even if she didn't put out..." He had to admit, the near-constant stream of sass and overall disinterest in literally every single thing he did really made him want her more.

He worked his way out of the suit, making sure it was preciously folded before placing it in the sack. "Wouldn't want it to get immediately wrinkled..." In fact, he took this chance inspect just what his mistress left for him. "Bread, apples, dried meat, canteen full of-?" He took a quick swig from the pouch. "-Water, of course." Seemed more like a breakfast than a survival kit. Then again, all he really needed was food. He already had a impressive dagger and his wits. "And those quaint little mage abilities that made me who I am today." He was almost done dressing by this point, wrapping his hands and feet as he thought.

The rogue frowned some, grateful for the touch up, but ultimately downtrodden at the severe washing they administered to his hooded shawl. "Had a nice, fine layer of dust up there...would've got me out of a scrape at some point." The disappointment was short lived, as he looked to the bright side. "Eh, I can always roll around in more dirt." He remembered. Throwing on the sack, he was almost immediately taken aback by its design. "Two straps? For both shoulders? Such innovation! Boy, what a time to be alive." He threw on the aforementioned shawl, clasping it together at the neck.

"Hm. Seems a little heavier than before...hood seems to be a bit bigger..." He made a few remarks on the improved cape as he exited the room. "Could've swore I overheard someone saying something about those mages getting kicked out today. I don't want to overstay my welcome too...I better find one of them, maybe tag along." He pondered. "The lightning one...what's his name...started with a D, right...? Dee...something...Druh..." That guy, whatever his name was. Horatio figured the guy had a good head on his shoulders, and decided on seeing if he could find him.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Silvana slept most comfortably that night. After splitting up with Joey once they were out of that locked room, much to her relief, she'd gone to bed and, despite the storm, been able to sleep quite well. She'd left the dress back in the room they'd been in, so she just had her robes to go into. Not that she minded, of course. She wasn't about to go into that dress again.

Once into her robes, she managed to find a brush inside the room she was in and used it to brush her hair. She looked around for her shadow, and sure enough, she stood there, watching over Silvana. "Hope you had a good night as well." She finished brushing her hair and stood up, aiming to leave the room, though once outside of the room, she'd have no idea of where to go from there, so hopefully, she would find a maid or some other staff from the castle to help her find a destination.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Jenn laughed and slightly squee'd as Seth pulled her in tight. There was no flinching, no fighting, no caring that her freckle covered skin was exposed, the previous trappings of years of dark defence were gone to the winds from this point on, at least in her mind. Seth talked about the day ahead and having to eventually move out of this position they found themselves in, a disappointing topic. I wish I could just stay in this state. Preserve it forever. Still Seth made sense as he usually did. So Jenn played along.

"Mmmmm, I'm quite all right with you starting a few fires Seth. After all, once a fire burns through, all that is left is charred black," she commented. "I guess if need be I can get up from here and get washed, as long as that dragon woman is not watching me do it this time. Then, who knows. I might even wear my hood down today once I get my robes back."

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
As Alexander flipped through the book, there were a lot of symbols that were intermixed, as if the writer of the book understood many languages and had pushed some of them together while writing. However, Alexander had seen many of the symbols and writings before at the Academy in some of the books that lingered in the old library there.

The book detailed information on the portals that were being made, and destroyed, in the world around them. It went over how some of them were just a way into this world, and that the world around them tended to reflect what was happening in that particular world. As the book went on, it also went over the idea that an infinite number of portals could be opened in the world, each with its own unique line and area. It also went over how some doors would close when the correct world found the proper key on their side.

Finally, the book went into how the worlds could have portals that opened in many locations, some at the bottom of oceans creating giant whirlpools, others starting high in the sky. Regardless of where the portal was made, it would generally stay for a period of time until finally the portal would have taken all it could and collapse, violently at some points because of what was put into it, or quietly because it was just water around it.

An interesting detail was made in some of the book, either in the form of some personal notes, or something from the book itself. It was more of idle theory, but the book also went over how this particular world seemed to be some kind of travel spot for some beings who might treat the worlds around them as temporary islands instead of worlds. That someone or something actually had a key to opening these additional gateways. Specifically, it mentioned Reaver, and how such a chaos might be necessary for the strange god to be satisfied with the other gods having a much more powerful presence among the many other portals that dotted the landscape.

The rest of the book seemed to be written in even more strange characters and a language that would either take a lot longer to decipher, or perhaps was encoded to need a cipher itself to be read. In either case, a significant portion of the book was still unreadable.

Meanwhile, Jade listened as Alexander also explained how they had come from another city, which didn't really make all that much sense to her and she gave a small giggle.

"You name things really strangely over there. And come from a lot of weird places. But, I believe you, just cause it adds to how strange you are." Jade said with a grin.

As Evie went and sat next to the shadowy Alexander, he sheepishly scratched the back of his head before answering the younger looking shadow.
"I was foolish. When you walk so many places and no one sees or touches you, you start to think that allows you to look around for mysteries and clues. I was careless with Nydia, and finally ran into something that did get me into trouble." The shadow sighed, tapping Evie on the shoulder. "So let that be a lesson to you. Even the supposedly older and wiser of everyone can get overconfident, and make mistakes. And those mistakes can cost everyone something.

[hr]

Edgar glanced over at the other rooms as additional mages came out for the morning, no longer wearing the fine clothes that they had before but instead donning their well repaired and worked on robes. He nodded at each as they came out, listening to Drew as he tried to explain away the situation that had happened last night. Though, he certainly did start on an odd subject.

"....Are you asking if I have been having problems with ghosts, Lord Drew? Because I don't see how this is supposed to be a discussion of any kind. Especially with all the others here. So, to answer your strange question I have not been seeing a large amount of floating objects, whispering spirits, and the only shadows I have had to worry about is making sure my own still followed me around." Edgar replied, waving at the other mages to come closer for the discussion.

"Might as well have you all here for this, I imagine you all didn't get a report on what happened last night!"

[hr]

"Mm...Beautifully poetic, Jenn." Seth remarked, keeping Jenn close just a small moment longer. "But, lets not get too crazy. Change too much at once, everyone will suspect something is up, and we can't be ruining your reputation, can we? Because with that hood down it would be too tempting to do this..."

One last time for the morning Seth brought his lips to Jenn's, savoring the warmth and trying to burn the memory into his mind of the moment they were having, and would continue to have if he had any say about it. Time even seemed to slow for the moment, which he couldn't believe. Finally pulling back with a bit of a sigh, he grinned, imagining the message had gotten across, and finally pulled himself from the bed.

He first noted his robes, and began to reach for them before stopping himself. Jenn's robes weren't in here...she came to your room, remember? Which means...she'll be wearing the dress. Coming to a quick decision, he left the robes for now and instead went for the suit which he had tossed to the side through the night. As he went for it, he noted a letter sitting near the door.

.....odd. Why would someone be leaving us notes. Was someone...listening in? I'll burn them alive.... Slipping into the pants of the suit, he went over and collected the letter, opening it to see who was trying to get a hold of him. Turned out, Alexander had been busy, and had gotten a lot of information. A lot of information. Though, as Seth read on he grew much more serious. Powerful mages roaming this land, along with a general direction of where to go, and it likely being through Kane's wilderness. It seemed like things were going to get more difficult, especially if they ran into this group of mages.

Though, it seemed they were more renegade than anything else, meaning they might not have to worry much. But everything else was...impressive. Too much about this land was different, and there were a few locations of interest to check, but with the idea of others running around probably capable of matching them, meant it would be very dangerous to go alone. Seth was very neatly lost in thought as he read and reread the note again, trying to pull every detail he could out of it. Artifacts too, and Alexander having to leave? The man had been very busy since the party. And making a mess of things in the meantime...

[hr]

After seeing to his soldiers, Kane had returned to look over the mages and Jade, a soft chuckle from the last conversation he had still lingering. As he arrived, he gave a nod to the group, addressing them with a wave of his weapon.

"Well now, don't you look a lot more alert than when I saw all of you. A lot more alive too! Pleasant to see after such a terrible day." Kane said, walking over to the fire. "Even managed to get a fire going all on your lonesome. Course, I imagine you also kinda cheated, but using what tools you have is as good a way to do things as any! So, what is the plan for you this day? Battle will be starting in a few hours, and I imagine even Edgar wouldn't much care for anything you would even try to cleverly do." Kane sat down, obviously not there for the fire as it was not as big as the others.

"Course, it also might not be my business to know and you could tell me to shove off! Understandable, since you don't know what you'll find out there. Most likely more women, but I'm not one to judge. If I could manage that, I would be leaving this whole band of warriors thing behind and just go wandering the land!" Kane laughed again, obviously finding the entire mage group amusing.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Familiar voices came from a short distance down the hall. Gabriel looked over to find Drew talking with Edgar; the latter soon beckoned him over. "Might as well have you all here for this, I imagine you all didn't get a report on what happened last night!"

"This must be about what you mentioned before..." Gabriel took the lead, approaching the open door to Drew's room where the aforementioned stood in the doorway. Drew seemed to be dressed in some sort of new robe, similar to his Airshifter gear save for the colour scheme. "Morning, Drew," the younger mage greeted the older as he approached.

"My Lord," Isa addressed Edgar with a curtsey. She said nothing further for the present, instead leaning against the wall where she could listen without being too obtrusive.

Gabriel turned to their host. "Isa mentioned something earlier about us leaving at some point soon... er, to clarify, I mean Drew, myself and the rest of our small group. I hope we haven't done something to warrant complete exile from your castle, sir." Gabriel reasoned that it was highly likely they'd need to pass this way again to leave this realm and return to their own. To that end, if they were being followed or pursued by hostile forces, he was hoping the mages could take refuge here a second time.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
"I may not be your mother Fei, but I am your elder of over ten years. That alone entitles me to worry about what you do to try and find me. Don't worry though, I won't be trying to dress you for school anytime soon." Kane had come over while he was reading and saw no reason to leave the man out of the loop.

"I was just reading this book Fei here had brought me. It elaborates on the portals and actually may contain some useful information. It seems some are just entry ways into this land, and those will have some clues as to the situation in the world they lead to. Others open and close randomly appearing and disappearing, collapsing on themselves and then reopening in a new area. What is interesting though is that there is a key that can close a portal provided it is found on their end, that may mean there is some object that could close the portal from out side...possibly. At the very least it means hope still exists back home. However there is yet another theory, that there are other pathways inaccessible to us, and that the key to these portals lies with the Reaver. Some kind of balancing act to keep him satisfied considering the other portals have more presence within the spheres of influence of the other gods.

Though in terms of practical information for our search, there isn't much to be had in these opening chapters. However there is also script which seems to be encoded, even I can't read it. Assuming that it is a cipher and that the cipher isn't completely random I may be able to crack it given enough time. Though that is a luxury we don't have. So I guess when we go to the city we need to not only find one of these mages, but a scholar in cryptography as well. Though I may be able to get a leg up as we start." He then showed the book to Jade and Kane.

"Do either of you recognize this script" He used his hand to cover the ciphered parts to try and avoid confusion. "and if you do can you tell me what the most common letters in it are? If either of you know this information it makes the task of decoding the cipher much easier. If not, then trying to decipher it would be useless until I can find an expert or the cipher code."

Mr. Omega

Jul 1, 2010
Drew sighed at Edgar's answer. "Didn't think so. Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure on the nature of these things myself. I know they have something to do with the Reaver, but that's about it. They aren't ghosts, but I don't know what else to actually call them."

At that point the rest of the mages appeared. He groaned but explained the situation. "Alexander messed up. Broke into the room because his shadow did something stupid." He then turned to Edgar to clarify "Which does not excuse him." Before turning back to Gabriel "As for the exile thing... well, that's what I'm here for."

He turned to Edgar again. "I'm not making excuses for what happened, I just want to be sure there's no bad blood. Alexander is no thief, and his behavior once discovered was due to genuine concern." He turned back to the group "See, there were... things in the room he broke into that Edgar wanted to keep safe. And for the sake of good will, I will not disclose what those things are without his permission. But I will say this much..." He turned back to Edgar "Said things are from my world. And I would very much like to know how you got your hands on them. I have little interest in the items themselves, but the method they arrived here could be of interest."

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Silvana hadn't stepped all that far away from her room when she saw Edgar, whom she remembered little about from last night, talking with one of the others from her group. He beckoned for her to come to him, along with the other mages who were now coming out of their own rooms, and so she walked over to them.

Gabriel talked to them, which prompted Drew to explain what had happened. In a way, anyway. Silvana herself wasn't very sure what was going on. "The room? What room? I don't know what room you're talking about, and I have no idea just how bad what Alexander did that may warrant us getting branded the same." This was not something she wanted to deal with after just waking up, but it couldn't be avoided, it seemed.

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Horatio stretched and and let out a quiet yawn as he walked the hallways. Soon, he spotted a conversation sprouting out not too far ahead of him. Featuring the lightning mage in a spiffy new coat ("DREW! That's his name! HA!"), and the crimson Lord himself, Edgar. Seemed there were a few noticeable heads missing from the congregation, and as Joey got closer to the action, he could figure out why.

"Alexander? That cheeky bastard, he did what I wish I could've did!" He walked in as Drew described in the situation. "Well, it explains why everyone's getting kicked out..." The girl mage from last night ("Silvana...made sure not to forget her name!") piped up in protest, not doing much to back up the culprit. "If anything, she's pushing him further into the guillotine...guessing they're not the closest of friends..."

"Yes, yes, right," Joey's inquisitive tone accompanied his stance, his arms crossed in a way that made it easy for him to stroke his chin. "Now, did he manage to steal anything? Maybe he got away with some sort of magic thingy that could tear a hole in the very fabric of space...or, perhaps, could sell for a very pretty penny at your local pawn shop..." Leave it to Joey to ask the important questions.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Gabriel looked over at the once-scruffy stranger, eyebrows raised. Drew was acting in defense of the mages, while this other guy - if he'd heard the name before, it escaped the Hydromancer's memory - was talking about stealing from the room into which Alexander had apparently broken.

"I sincerely hope you're joking, stranger," he piped up. "Think for a second. We're not in any position to steal from our courteous host... who happens to be standing right here, able to hear every word you say." Gabriel nodded to Edgar out of deference. "Especially since we've partaken of the hospitality of both himself and his servants." The younger mage was of the mind that having spent the night in Edgar's castle, there was a very distinct possibility that the mages might be expected to render some sort of service in return, if someone hadn't already done so. A favour for a favour.

To that end and others, he intended to assist Drew in his attempts at keeping the peace.

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
It sounded like young Hydromancer misinterpreted Joey's words...or perhaps Joey was misinterpreting the hydromancer's words? Either way, the dashing rogue Earthshaper felt the need to rebut the implications. He knew this particular group of wizards were of the boring, uninteresting, don't-take-anything-that-isn't-yours, stop-stabbing-that-guy-in-the-back variety, but this fellow seemed to to be even more of a stick in the mud than the others. And Horatio still couldn't get his name down.

"Hey, hey, Gareth, i'm only showing my concern for our lord's inventory. Something very dear to him could be missing due to our associate's sudden act of breaking-and-entering. And, who knows? If he could've broken in, who says he couldn't of just taken whatever suited his needs?" Horatio replied, presenting a defense of his own. He gave a brief glance towards Edgar, and it made him think about what he saw Alexander do just moments after he first met him.

"...Even then, the guy basically stabbed himself without batting an eyelash. For you, no less." He said to the lord. "When I first saw that, it told me two things: That he's amazingly goal-oriented, and that he's not some pushover afraid of a title. So if he did manage to actually get away with anything, i'm sure it would've been for the best (if not out right beneficial to our cause). Y'know, "greater good" and all that." He added.

Mr. Omega

Jul 1, 2010
Drew rubbed his temples and sighed, aggravated at the interruptions of the various mages. Idiots, the lots of them! If there was one thing he couldn't stand, it was having his own work undermined. It's why he was frustrated with Alexander even after a night's rest. "Gabriel. I know you mean well, but please be quiet. I can assure you that all debts have been paid, by both Alexander and myself."

He walked a bit closer to Horatio. "And as for you..." he normally would restrain himself. He'd normally just make a passive remark and let him mess around. But it was too early for this shit. If there was one thing he hated more than someone undermining his work, it was someone doing so repeatedly. And Drew responded to this by decking Horatio right on the nose. He turned back to the rest, raising his voice "We had multiple witnesses at the scene, including Edgar himself. He knows nothing was stolen. Now shut up and let me handle this!"