JRPGs

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Ok, so I hear it all the time on Yahtzee's reviews and from a lot of other people on the forums, but I generally do want to know what people seem to have against JRPGs.

I actually have a hard time getting into the the western ones like Dragon Age, the Witcher or Mass Effect.

about the only Western RPGs I like so far are Fallout and Borderlands.

What is so bad about games like Final Fantasy (except VII, I do see plenty reason to hate on that one), Tales of Symphonia, Disgaea, and Kingdom Hearts?

hedges1001

Mar 17, 2010
i get the same problem with WRPGs. i dont get the hate but my theory is the character types are completely different

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
There is nothing wrong with them. Some WRPGs fans just have a misguided notion that their games are inherently superior to JRPGs. Protip: they aren't.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I honestly Dont know.
I love all RPG types. But I hated Dragon Age. Loved Last Remnant. And my favorite as of now is Oblivion(soon to be skyrim no doubt) The only game I can understand all the hate for is FF13.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I actually really like JRPG's but my dad doesn't like them that much because in his experience the story takes him ages to get into and he dislikes turn based combat, and a lot of characters get on his nerves with their personalities and their voices, which is a common set of dislikes among my friends who play games and dislike JRPG's.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Fanfic_warper said:
(except VII, I do see plenty reason to hate on that one)
Just out of curiosity, why?

OT: I love the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Heart series, but they're the only JRPGs I've played and liked. Others...well meh.

The problem is (and FF is not excluded from this) is that JRPGs do follow a lot of clichés. Whilst sometimes this works...a lot of the time it gets tedious. Also, character archetypes are generally the same. Looking at the last few Final Fantasy games, you can easily pick out similar characters:
The Spunky Girl: Yuffie, Selphie, Eiko, Rikku, Penelo, Vanille.
The Lone Warrior: Cloud, Squall, Amarant, Lightning.
The Love Interest (and usually White Mage): Aeries, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna.
The Evil Overlord of some sort: Rufus (Shinra), Edea, Brahne, Seymour, Vane, Galenth Dysley/ Baldanders.

I mean, these archetypes obviously work, but they do get a bit samey.

Additionally, I do find that a lot of the games tend to over complicate things that could probably be made easier, such as menus. After a while you get the hang of it, but at first it can be a bit daunting. And turn based combat is a bit...meh. I did like FFX-2's though.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
It's just a taste thing, cause all the games you listed I love to death. Then again I'm a JRPG fan from pokemon to Atleier Rorona and many more.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
JRPGs are giant grinds with reused character archetypes across the board, usually including at least one 10 year old girl and/or at least one long haired, overly emotional boy.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

I hate the combat, I usually hate the characters, I always hate the dialogue and I really hate the visual design.

What more would you like to know?

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
My biggest problem are the characters and story. The story is either terrible or great. The voice acting is usually annoying, and most of the time the characters look like girls. The best JRPG this gen (imo) is Lost Odyssey great story with great characters. No one was annoying I wasnt confused about any genders, hell I may pick the game up again.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Some of the recent Final Fantasy games are slow, annoying and poorly written.

FF also happens to be the only JRPG franchise with a lot of mainstream recognition in the West (aside from Pokemon), so people take it as the standard of the subgenre. It isn't. Nomura's character designs aren't how most JRPG characters look either.

Personally, I play a lot of both. For whatever reason, WRPGs have been letting me down lately. Doesn't help that there are only two WRPG devs left, either.

[sub]I don't play European RPGs because they can all go fuck themselves.[/sub]

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Most people hate the characters, stories and turn-based combat and gratuitous cutscenes. Really people have different taste what you like can be the exact thing that others hate (with all those things being why JRPGs are my favorite genre).

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Fanfic_warper said:
Ok, so I hear it all the time on Yahtzee's reviews and from a lot of other people on the forums, but I generally do want to know what people seem to have against JRPGs.

I actually have a hard time getting into the the western ones like Dragon Age, the Witcher or Mass Effect.

about the only Western RPGs I like so far are Fallout and Borderlands.

What is so bad about games like Final Fantasy (except VII, I do see plenty reason to hate on that one), Tales of Symphonia, Disgaea, and Kingdom Hearts?
There's plenty of stuff to hate in every game. I do love how hating FF7 got to be so cool though. I especially like how people say they hate FF7 but then FF6 is their favorite RPG ever.. even though the games are nearly identical in theme and tropes. What's even better though is the people who flat out hate the genre, they never liked it, they despise everything about it, but they forced themselves to play FF7 for 5 minutes so they could justify saying its the worst game ever or something. But hey, you can't be one of those cool nonconformist kids unless hate the popular thing like everyone else, right?

JRPGs are a genre, some people don't like that genre, some people don't like other genres. This thread could have been "Why people hate (insert any game type ever)" and you'd get basically the same responses.

Why do you hate FPSs? The characters, the gameplay, and the plots.
Why do you hate WRPGs? The characters, the gameplay, and the plots.
Why do you hate Hentai games? The characters, the gameplay, and the plots.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
IMO, people hate JRPGs because they haven't played the good ones - you'd hate the genre too if you were basing your opinion of it on Final Fantasy haha.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Different sets of tropes, and frequently different game and story structures, for the most part.

I don't think I have an overarching preference, myself, but all the hate tend to make me favor JRPGS slightly more. Especially since Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games of all time.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Hmmm, that reminds me; I should really get around to beating Persona 4.

OT: I rather like them. It's not a genre for everyone but after studying Japanese in High School and being an East Asian Language and Culture major in college their culture really interests me. It's kinda my thing.